Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

goodness posted:

So is that the typical grammar of online GO?

For comparison btw, this is Tygem

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

:patriot:

o.m. 94 posted:

For comparison btw, this is Tygem

I have no clue why Tygem chat is like this.

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Mr. Helsbecter will you please stop shooting I am on the phone

Kheldragar posted:

I have no clue why Tygem chat is like this.

All the korean chat is filtered out, so only that remains

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I can buy either two books or a book and a magnetic travelling go board. I really like this one, and it feels small enough that I can carrry it without too much of a hassle. I don't know if I should get a problem book, like the get strong series, or another theory book like the elementary go series. I would buy "Invincible" for the novelty, but it's $50 and I already have the pdf. Sadly, Yang Yilun's fundamentals aren't on Go game guru.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I ordered Endgame since getting two books was above my budget of $45 because shipping.

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 21:56 on May 5, 2014

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
KGS tip: You can be Automatching, have a game offer up, and be waiting on any number of game offerers to accept your acceptance, all going simultaneously, and the first game that starts will cancel all of the other things automagically.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I have books. The collection is growing. :getin:

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Kheldragar posted:

I have books. The collection is growing. :getin:

Get tesuji nublard

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Under 15 posted:

Get tesuji nublard

I have the pdf. :smith:

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Still dont understand why you bought Direction Of Play when there literally hundreds of more suitable books reccomended!!

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
It's hard to find detailed advice on playing from behind.

Benjamin Teuber posted:

The very next day, when I showed one of my games (a pretty bad one), master Wang Yang interrupted the analysis and gave a very long speech that I'd like to summarize for you.

[...]

How should you play when you are behind? First of all, stay calm - it will still be a long game. Second, increase the risk level by a little - emphasis on "little". A strong Go player almost never goes "Allin" in poker speech, so don't just start a desperate resign sequence. Instead, try to put some pressure on your opponent and wait for mistakes. Your goal is to have more points at the end, not necessarily after the next 10 moves. Anyways, take territory as much as you can in order to catch up - this will make him feel most uneasy. Even if your opponent has more influence or stronger groups, he will still have to prove that this is worth any points in the end. Try to attack his weak groups, but in a profitable way - when you need to kill in order to win, you will usually lose. You could also try to build a moyo. Maybe he will go in too deep or not deep enough and you can profit from that. Another strategy is leaving a weak group to attack. Maybe your opponent will attack to hard or even try to kill it and loses many points when he fails. However, don't leave weak groups that are easy to attack profitably, e.g. next to an enemy moyo where each attacking move helps him solidifying his framework at the same time. Reading ability and fighting skills are crucial for this strategy, of course.
source

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

The way you play when behind is the same as the way you play when you're ahead: count, figure out how many points you need in order to win, and go for that much plus a few.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Speaking of counting the score, that game of mine on OGS finally wrapped up, the one from which I had pulled a few positions to use as direction of play problems here. It's a good one for illustrating how to employ positional judgment in a calm game and go for only what you need to win and not take unnecessary risks. I've commented it for you guys below.

I recall that people seemed to prefer Black's position in the last position I posted. Seeing the result of the game, do you still think so and that later errors are to blame? Or was his potential never as great as it seemed?

http://eidogo.com/#DK9x5AnN

IMlemon
Dec 29, 2008
Catalin Taranu has been posting some videos on youtube lately and they're really good if you can suffer through background LOTR music (wtf).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0Z5DLIbyZg

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

I got 6k on the counting problem section of Endgame. :toot: No one puts this actual effort into their actual games, right? Or maybe I'm just bad at counting since I get the point values wrong a lot.

xopods posted:

I recall that people seemed to prefer Black's position in the last position I posted. Seeing the result of the game, do you still think so and that later errors are to blame? Or was his potential never as great as it seemed?

http://eidogo.com/#DK9x5AnN

I am unqualified to answer anything about this, but I don't want to blatantly ignore it.

Also, in the Cho chikun series, does anyone have some problems where you can either seki or ko or am I just doing this wrong?

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 18:24 on May 13, 2014

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches

Kheldragar posted:

Also, in the Cho chikun series, does anyone have some problems where you can either seki or ko or am I just doing this wrong?
Happens all the time both in tsumego and in games.

shin42k
Feb 16, 2014

Kheldragar posted:

yeah, there are plenty of questions where the answer isn't unconditional life and death. A general rule of thumb when killing is unconditional death>ko>seki>unconditional life. This is reversed when trying to live, i.e. you prefer seki to ko.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

shin42k posted:

yeah, there are plenty of questions where the answer isn't unconditional life and death. A general rule of thumb when killing is unconditional death>ko>seki>unconditional life. This is reversed when trying to live, i.e. you prefer seki to ko.

Oh, I don't mean that some answers have seki and some have ko, but that you can choose between seki or ko. I guess you still answer the question. :shobon:

Under 15
Jan 6, 2005

Kheldragar posted:

Oh, I don't mean that some answers have seki and some have ko, but that you can choose between seki or ko. I guess you still answer the question. :shobon:

Gotta have the maturity to realize which is better! Usually ko is better in terms of a tsumego, since it's kind of a convention that you have more threats than your opponent. You still have to read all the local threats, though.

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Talking to a Japanese Go amateur on Twitter at the moment, he has loads of anecdotes about Japanese pros, and its kind of endearing because of the broken English

If any of you read Hikaru No Go apparently there's a character based off Yoda Norimoto, who is a Cool Guy

goodness
Jan 3, 2012

When the light turns green, you go. When the light turns red, you stop. But what do you do when the light turns blue with orange and lavender spots?

o.m. 94 posted:

Talking to a Japanese Go amateur on Twitter at the moment, he has loads of anecdotes about Japanese pros, and its kind of endearing because of the broken English

If any of you read Hikaru No Go apparently there's a character based off Yoda Norimoto, who is a Cool Guy

If that is the GO anime, it is hilarious. Bush betting fighter planes on a go match.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

goodness posted:

If that is the GO anime, it is hilarious. Bush betting fighter planes on a go match.

There's two. Hikaru no Go is the more sedate "kids learn how to play go and then are masters and there's a ghost" one.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

silvergoose posted:

There's two. Hikaru no Go is the more sedate "kids learn how to play go and then are masters and there's a ghost" one.

What's the second one?

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

is it.... *looks down at book, spectacles resting on tip of nose*

Hoshizora no Karasu ; 星空のカラス ; crow in the starry sky

Xyven
Jun 4, 2005

Check to induce a ban

I'm like 99% sure that goodness is talking about The Legend of Koizumi, which is (very loosely) a mahjong manga/anime. It's kind of insane, with world leaders settling every via super powered mahjong matches and I think I remember there are Nazis on a moon base.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Xyven posted:

I'm like 99% sure that goodness is talking about The Legend of Koizumi, which is (very loosely) a mahjong manga/anime. It's kind of insane, with world leaders settling every via super powered mahjong matches and I think I remember there are Nazis on a moon base.

Oh yeah actually that's right. The other mah jongg animes are more familiar to me. And the Shogi one. Which has an actual, coherent storyline to it.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

o.m. 94 posted:

is it.... *looks down at book, spectacles resting on tip of nose*

Hoshizora no Karasu ; 星空のカラス ; crow in the starry sky

I will now begin reading this.

AdorableStar fucked around with this message at 23:32 on May 16, 2014

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy
My most recent game is a good example of why not to go crazy trying to kill groups. surprised i only lost by 20 points. http://online-go.com/game/585024

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

uranus posted:

My most recent game is a good example of why not to go crazy trying to kill groups. surprised i only lost by 20 points. http://online-go.com/game/585024

B17 should really be a pincer.

B39 is the wrong direction. Keeping White from connecting/settling his groups is crucial, so the cutting point in your group is a big problem. A hanging connection at N14 fixes the problem and gives you enough strength to break through any attempt at connection White makes.

B41-43 look like you're taking lessons from me about light shape, but here it's too thin. B43 one line to the right would be better, but probably just making the direct hanging connection at move 41 is still best after White fails to cut.

B47 is suicidal, just connect. You're lucky White lets you off the hook by playing badly himself.

B69 is too thin.

B79 is premature... you need to take care of your weaknesses before going for the kill, but I think you know this already.

W90 is a nice tesuji. After W100, it would be resign time in a higher level game. You never know in DDK games, but after this you'll definitely have to kill something somehow to win, and there isn't much to aim for. I guess the best plan would be to be as greedy/ambitious on the left side as possible and hope that White loses his mind and tries some deep invasion that you can go after.

Instead, you play reasonably from there on until I stopped (around move 150). It's important to play reasonably when the game is close and try something crazy when you're way behind, not the other way around. If you're just going to try to lose by as little as possible you should simply resign.

jason87x
May 11, 2013
I'm curious, do any of the Go players from Johnson County KS visit/post in this thread? I'm on page 18 and I saw references to KU, which does have a club too. But still, in JoCo we have a still small, but surprisingly fun and active Go club, with young-ish players as well, that plays at cafes that get good crowds, so people can see us and ask questions!

I'm down in Dallas and it's basically 8 people, all but one is old, and no one ever joins. Then again it's Dallas, and everyone is so busy with their jobs and girlfriends and let's face it, Go is a SERIOUS TIME SINK!

There's a lot of talk about the servers, I haven't really been on KGS. I have typically used PandaNet IGS, with the pretty polished and awesome PandaTetsuki Android client.

jason87x fucked around with this message at 18:33 on May 18, 2014

o.m. 94
Nov 23, 2009

Might just be Dallas. here's a video from my club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvYEhqqemrY

derp
Jan 21, 2010

when i get up all i want to do is go to bed again

Lipstick Apathy

xopods posted:

B17 should really be a pincer.

B39 is the wrong direction. Keeping White from connecting/settling his groups is crucial, so the cutting point in your group is a big problem. A hanging connection at N14 fixes the problem and gives you enough strength to break through any attempt at connection White makes.

B41-43 look like you're taking lessons from me about light shape, but here it's too thin. B43 one line to the right would be better, but probably just making the direct hanging connection at move 41 is still best after White fails to cut.

B47 is suicidal, just connect. You're lucky White lets you off the hook by playing badly himself.

B69 is too thin.

B79 is premature... you need to take care of your weaknesses before going for the kill, but I think you know this already.

W90 is a nice tesuji. After W100, it would be resign time in a higher level game. You never know in DDK games, but after this you'll definitely have to kill something somehow to win, and there isn't much to aim for. I guess the best plan would be to be as greedy/ambitious on the left side as possible and hope that White loses his mind and tries some deep invasion that you can go after.

Instead, you play reasonably from there on until I stopped (around move 150). It's important to play reasonably when the game is close and try something crazy when you're way behind, not the other way around. If you're just going to try to lose by as little as possible you should simply resign.

thanks for this xopods!

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

o.m. 94 posted:

Might just be Dallas. here's a video from my club

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BvYEhqqemrY

Man, England sure has a large market on the Korean gambling scene.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

This is a new type of move I have become aware of, but I'm not sure when it would come in handy - only that it exists.

Xom
Sep 2, 2008

文化英雄
Fan of Britches
When b12 and c13 are miai.

xopods
Oct 26, 2010

Xom posted:

When b12 and c13 are miai.

This is correct.

More generally, when plays on an axis of symmetry of the local shape (in this case, a diagonal symmetry) are correct, it's usually because they create miai options on either side.

That's a pretty slick move, though, playing hazama tobi to induce a kosumi and then slapping it on the rear end like that. Can't think of an instance in which I've played exactly that or seen it played, but I can definitely see how it could be tesuji in some kind of weird situation.

xopods fucked around with this message at 22:20 on May 20, 2014

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

Cho Chikun's elementary status: Complete

shin42k
Feb 16, 2014

Kheldragar posted:

Cho Chikun's elementary status: Complete

Congratulations. You might want to consider going through it again a few months later to see how far you've progressed. I promise it'll take a significantly lesser amount of time.

AdorableStar
Jul 13, 2013

shin42k posted:

Congratulations. You might want to consider going through it again a few months later to see how far you've progressed. I promise it'll take a significantly lesser amount of time.

I've started doing the intermediate problems, so when I go back to elementary they just might be a breeze. I did problems 41-51 today, and all I have to say is that the 1-2 point is very interesting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

WuChou
Aug 28, 2002

Cosmic.
Strange things happen at the 1-2 point.