Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

TheCondor posted:

As far as rules/judge stuff is concerned, just play deliberately and announce your intent unambiguously (my attack phase begins, I declare attackers, you declare blockers, etc) when you think there might be odd interactions; don't let anybody rush you or get you on tilt and you'll be fine.
Definitely this. At the GP this past weekend I had a guy try to worm his way past Primeval Titan attack triggers (and subsequently lethal damage) by saying "Ok I take 8" after I declared Titan attacking, at which point I had to slow him down and say "No, attack trigger," so on and so forth.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Hopping Ghost posted:

I think this is from last week's first Big Magic Open. Big Magic is a major web/retail store here and with a little boost from SCG, they're trying to get their own Open series off the ground in Japan. Their mascot is a little dude with a blue afro who delivers your Magic cards and a lot of the staff were wearing these wigs all weekend.

Another highlight was a side event with a giant cube they used to play Momir Basic in paper. I'm sorry I couldn't get in on it but watching was a lot of fun.

According to Happy Mtg it was Grand Prix Shizuoka 2013? It may have been mislabeled though.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON

Zorak posted:

According to Happy Mtg it was Grand Prix Shizuoka 2013? It may have been mislabeled though.

Nah, I'm entirely willing to believe I got the event wrong (and still have the Open on the brain). Either way, the Japanese have been really on point with events lately.

Kasonic
Mar 6, 2007

Tenth Street Reds, representing
I've heard the format mentioned in a few posts here....can anyone describe what pauper Commander might play like? I just finished work on a peasant and another pauper cube, and I could totally see an interesting uncommon format, but common Commander just sounds a bit plain and slow. How interesting of a deck can you make?

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Kasonic posted:

I've heard the format mentioned in a few posts here....can anyone describe what pauper Commander might play like? I just finished work on a peasant and another pauper cube, and I could totally see an interesting uncommon format, but common Commander just sounds a bit plain and slow. How interesting of a deck can you make?

Well I guess it depends on how you want to play it? Our playgroup has decided on these rules:

1. Your commander must be an uncommon creature.
2. Your deck is 60 cards (not counting the commander), singleton, all commons.
3. Starting life totals are 30, commander damage is 16.
4. Invisible Stalker is banned, because gently caress you.

In general 3 or 4 person games run quite fast. I have a Bellowing Tanglewurm and a Noxious Ghoul deck, and another guy plays a Fluxcharger deck with nothing but fliers and spells, and that thing stomps face pretty hard too.

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos
For any store owners, Wizards redesigned and just relaunched their WPN site. It uses Drupal like their community site.

Also, the Modern Event Deck is on Gatherer.

Applebees fucked around with this message at 10:11 on May 16, 2014

Obsoletely Fabulous
May 6, 2008

Who are you, and why should I care?

Mikujin posted:

Definitely this. At the GP this past weekend I had a guy try to worm his way past Primeval Titan attack triggers (and subsequently lethal damage) by saying "Ok I take 8" after I declared Titan attacking, at which point I had to slow him down and say "No, attack trigger," so on and so forth.

Things like this are why I'm playing a rather simple white weenie deck for this thing. Very few odd interactions or rules that I should have to deal with from my own deck, so hopefully less mistakes on my part.

Mikujin
May 25, 2010

(also a lightning rod)

Obsoletely Fabulous posted:

Things like this are why I'm playing a rather simple white weenie deck for this thing. Very few odd interactions or rules that I should have to deal with from my own deck, so hopefully less mistakes on my part.

No weird interactions in that tale, though, just a dude trying to rush a trigger (so that it wouldn't happen).

Babylon Astronaut
Apr 19, 2012
Of all the token cards they make, a card for triggers and abilities would rule.

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

Applebees posted:

For any store owners, Wizards redesigned and just relaunched their WPN site. It uses Drupal like their community site.

Also, the Modern Event Deck is on Gatherer.

I mean at least the set symbol looks cool.

is that good
Apr 14, 2012

Kasonic posted:

I personally like peasant. The general rules are 100 card singleton, one being an uncommon creature for commander. Other rules as standard commander except iirc 30 life instead of 40 and 17 commander damage for the kill instead of 20. For peasant there are also somewhere between like 7 and 9 other uncommons in your 99. There's a website that has a banlist and other decent guidelines for rule variations to suggest to your play-group at paupercommander.com. Decks can get pretty interesting because you get stuff that pops up that would otherwise just not be playable. You get to mess around with Sigil Captain, Bloodmark Mentor, Maw of the Obzedat and other stuff that just otherwise wouldn't get played.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Allstone posted:

I personally like peasant. The general rules are 100 card singleton, one being an uncommon creature for commander. Other rules as standard commander except iirc 30 life instead of 40 and 17 commander damage for the kill instead of 20. For peasant there are also somewhere between like 7 and 9 other uncommons in your 99. There's a website that has a banlist and other decent guidelines for rule variations to suggest to your play-group at paupercommander.com. Decks can get pretty interesting because you get stuff that pops up that would otherwise just not be playable. You get to mess around with Sigil Captain, Bloodmark Mentor, Maw of the Obzedat and other stuff that just otherwise wouldn't get played.

I personally prefer white blue control with Mistmeadow Witch and every enter the battle effect ever. Sigil Captain still eats me alive.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Hopping Ghost posted:

Another highlight was a side event with a giant cube they used to play Momir Basic in paper. I'm sorry I couldn't get in on it but watching was a lot of fun.

This is a fantastic idea. What do people think is the lower bound for something like this? Obviously you'd need at least one or two of everything over...what, 8cmc? But lower than that it would just be unreasonable to have one of every creature. And realistically you'd need two, in case you need to make a second of something. Or would a small subset of all creatures ever just not be fun enough?

I want to do this is what I'm saying.

Boxman fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 16, 2014

Rogue 7
Oct 13, 2012
A dude I knew at college a couple years ago did that. It was pretty fun. The box he had was about the size of an average cube, but I don't recall if he had every single big creature or what.

Entropic
Feb 21, 2007

patriarchy sucks
It's easy at the high numbers because there are only so many, but once you get down to 8 or so you basically have to just choose a collection of creatures you think would be fun.

Johnny Landmine
Aug 2, 2004

PURE FUCKING AINOGEDDON
I didn't think to ask how many cards they were using, but the box that held the whole enterprise was about the length and width of a square card table.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Are there any formats that take a page from racing and have a baked in requirement to sell your deck for $x upon request?

Count Bleck
Apr 5, 2010

DISPEL MAGIC!

odiv posted:

Are there any formats that take a page from racing and have a baked in requirement to sell your deck for $x upon request?

I mean you could probably get a decent car with a typical vintage deck..

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

odiv posted:

You mean some kind of 60 cards of LeMons format? I don't think such a thing exists.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

odiv posted:

This is a thing that has happened at pub leagues, yes.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Yeah, that's exactly what I mean. Would have worked better in a pre-smartphone world, but I think there's still merit in it.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀

I think somebody talked about such a format earlier in the thread.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Sigiled Starfish live on cam in Pro Tour Journey Into Nyx! :frogsiren:

EDIT: Got killed. :(

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

odiv posted:

Cactrot posted:

You mean some kind of 60 cards of LeMons format? I don't think such a thing exists.

Where can I read about this? Wikipedia is stingy on this point, but I think it's interesting.

Cactrot
Jan 11, 2001

Go Go Cactus Galactus

24 hours of LeMons is a cheapo endurance racing series with a $500 dollar limit on the car and its modifications, if the organizers suspect that you're cheating on the cost they have the option of purchasing the offending car from you after the race.

there's an AI thread on it, and the official site is here.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

Formula E which is starting this year has a requirement that "each constructor will be mandated to make their car available to two other teams for a maximum capped price. This cap is currently set at 350 000€." (Wikipedia)

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Serperoth posted:

Sigiled Starfish live on cam in Pro Tour Journey Into Nyx! :frogsiren:

EDIT: Got killed. :(

It seems you lived your life like a candle in the wind.

LordSaturn
Aug 12, 2007

sadly unfunny

Cactrot posted:

24 hours of LeMons

Oh! I thought you guys were just mis-spelling Le Mans, which made it very hard to do research. Thanks for this!

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:

Am I missing something or is this new wording still infinite turns with Voltaic Key?

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

JAMOOOL posted:

Am I missing something or is this new wording still infinite turns with Voltaic Key?

Is the wording new? I'm no expert, but it doesn't seem different.

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

:qq: I LOVE TWO AND HALF MEN!! YOU 20 SOMETHINGS ARE JUST TOO CYNICAL TO UNDERSTAND IT!!:qq:
I guess I'm not sure. I thought that Time Vault had this really convoluted errata to prevent it from being abused with anything that untaps artifacts. This wording is basically the original wording, isn't it?

Shavnir
Apr 5, 2005

A MAN'S DREAM CAN NEVER DIE

JAMOOOL posted:

I guess I'm not sure. I thought that Time Vault had this really convoluted errata to prevent it from being abused with anything that untaps artifacts. This wording is basically the original wording, isn't it?

What? No the whole point of Time Vault is to go infinite with key.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

JAMOOOL posted:

You're thinking of Flame Fusillade. Time Vault used to have the ability "Skip your next turn: untap this" which you could combine with Flame Fusillade for infinite damage.

CellBlock
Oct 6, 2005

It just don't stop.

LordSaturn posted:

Oh! I thought you guys were just mis-spelling Le Mans, which made it very hard to do research. Thanks for this!

In horse racing, it's called a "claiming race." The idea is to level competition by stating that anybody can come and buy one of the horses for some set price, usually something relatively low (for a horse race) like a few thousand dollars.

If you have some million dollar champion horse, you wouldn't enter the race for the easy win because someone could come and take it.

Kraus
Jan 17, 2008
Skipping your turn with Time Vault used to put a "time counter" on Time Vault. Removing a time counter was part of the cost of the ability. And even in Gatherer it doesn't use counters anymore. What the hell. This is nuts.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=202470

NivMizzet
May 22, 2004

"My criticism of the Izzet is that their impulse for learning seems too much like impulse and too little like learning."
-Trigori, Azorius senator

JAMOOOL posted:

It actually did at one point have errata involving a counter of some sort, something like "Skip a turn and put a counter on to untap, tap and remove a counter to take an extra turn." That was before they stopped doing functional errata, and have since returned it to its original wording.

I believe Shandalar might actually have that errata wording in fact.

Edit: The same thing happened with Winter Orb. It used to have the Howling Mine errata of doesn't work while tapped, but they removed that since it's considered functional errata.

NivMizzet fucked around with this message at 16:44 on May 16, 2014

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Kraus posted:

Skipping your turn with Time Vault used to put a "time counter" on Time Vault. Removing a time counter was part of the cost of the ability. And even in Gatherer it doesn't use counters anymore. What the hell. This is nuts.

http://gatherer.wizards.com/Pages/Card/Details.aspx?multiverseid=202470

This is because Wizards had a policy change against issuing errata that changes the functionality of cards.

odiv
Jan 12, 2003

I remember that happening with Victimize. It was errata'd so that sacrificing a creature was part of the cost, but when I last checked it was back to its printed wording.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Cunso posted:

Edit: The same thing happened with Winter Orb. It used to have the Howling Mine errata of doesn't work while tapped, but they removed that since it's considered functional errata.

They kept Howling Mine with the changed text, because it had been reprinted with the new text. That's why there's a discrepancy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

JAMOOOL
Oct 18, 2004

The original printing of Time Vault wasn't a combo with Flame Fusillade correct? I get why they wanted to get rid of as much functional errata as they could, but isn't Time Vault as printed just incredibly broken?

• Locked thread