Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Squatch Ambassador
Nov 12, 2008

What? Never seen a shaved Squatch before?

Arrath posted:

Has anyone else lost the ability to fullscreen embedded youtube videos? For a while it was iffy, sometimes there and sometimes not and now for the last few weeks there hasn't been the option at all, I have to go to youtube to actually watch something fullscreen. I guess its time for the extension on/off troubleshooting dance.

Yes, and it's a bit annoying. It appears to be using the HTML5 player for embedded videos now, which for some reason doesn't go full screen when embedded.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Konjuro posted:

Yes, and it's a bit annoying. It appears to be using the HTML5 player for embedded videos now, which for some reason doesn't go full screen when embedded.

Oh good its not just me. Super fuckin annoying, anyway.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Has dev had the issue with the new font rendering flag, where after a while text just starts disappearing and you have to restart the browser? If so, is it fixed? I don't want to turn it off now, I couldn't go back, so I'm hoping for a fix coming down the beta pipe annnnny time now...

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

The more tragic things get,
the more I feel like laughing.

After all the Heartbleed hoopla, I went and got Lastpass for password management, including installing the extension in Chrome. The only problem now is that Chrome is broken and runs slow as hell all the time; attempting a search straight up freezes the browser for 5-10 seconds, almost every webpage is slow to load including the new tab Home screen, syncing Chrome across devices seems to be permanently broke and I'm constantly getting prompts to "sign back in" to Google services.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome, updating drivers on my devices (a Lenovo T440p running Windows 8.1 and a Nexus 5 with the most recent Android version), taking it to the IT helpdesk on campus, etc. Is there a way to fix this short of just uninstalling LastPass? I like the service, but I'd rather go back to attempting to remember a dozen different passwords than dealing with a broken browser.

Edit: Or I guess it could be something else entirely.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 17:15 on May 8, 2014

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

After all the Heartbleed hoopla, I went and got Lastpass for password management, including installing the extension in Chrome. The only problem now is that Chrome is broken and runs slow as hell all the time; attempting a search straight up freezes the browser for 5-10, almost every webpage is slow to load including the new tab Home screen, syncing Chrome across devices seems to be permanently broke and I'm constantly getting prompts to "sign back in" to Google services.

I've tried uninstalling and reinstalling Chrome, updating drivers on my devices (a Lenovo T440p running Windows 8.1 and a Nexus 5 with the most recent Android version), taking it to the IT helpdesk on campus, etc. Is there a way to fix this short of just uninstalling LastPass? I like the service, but I'd rather go back to attempting to remember a dozen different passwords than dealing with a broken browser.

I don't have that problem with Lastpass and I've got like 700 sites saved in it. I realize this isn't terribly helpful except it might mean that your problem isn't actually Lastpass + Chrome.

biznatchio
Mar 31, 2001

Buglord
Easy way to verify it would be to go to Chrome's extensions page (chrome://extensions/ -- copy/paste it, can't link to it) and uncheck the "Enabled" checkbox next to the Lastpass extension, then browse around a little bit. If you're still slow, then Lastpass isn't the culprit (and you can re-enable it).

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

biznatchio posted:

Easy way to verify it would be to go to Chrome's extensions page (chrome://extensions/ -- copy/paste it, can't link to it) and uncheck the "Enabled" checkbox next to the Lastpass extension, then browse around a little bit. If you're still slow, then Lastpass isn't the culprit (and you can re-enable it).

Tried that and no difference, so I think it's just an issue with Chrome and Windows 8.1 (specifically 64 bit versions). On further research I found that this is fairly common, so I guess I just have to deal with it until Google and/or MS figures out what the compatibility issue is and fixes it. Found a half decent workaround in a thread here: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/KWc5OZXYSg8, but I hope it gets fixed permanently soon.

Mat Cauthon fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 8, 2014

WorkingStiff
Jul 5, 2005

Rap Record Hoarder posted:

Tried that and no difference, so I think it's just an issue with Chrome and Windows 8.1 (specifically 64 bit versions). On further research I found that this is fairly common, so I guess I just have to deal with it until Google and/or MS figures out what the compatibility issue is and fixes it. Found a half decent workaround in a thread here: https://productforums.google.com/forum/#!topic/chrome/KWc5OZXYSg8, but I hope it gets fixed permanently soon.

I'd bet the majority of Chrome users here are on Win 8.1 x64, and I assure you this is something unique to your install. Have you updated to all the 8.1 drivers and the most recent April 15th BIOS?

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Don't have any problems with Chrome and Lastpass when it comes to browsing, I'm on 8.1 x64. The only thing that is weird for me is in Chrome on Amazon, it will truncate the password. If I go to Amazon in Firefox it works perfectly fine.

Mat Cauthon
Jan 2, 2006

WorkingStiff posted:

I'd bet the majority of Chrome users here are on Win 8.1 x64, and I assure you this is something unique to your install. Have you updated to all the 8.1 drivers and the most recent April 15th BIOS?

I thought I had the most recent BIOS update, but when I ran the Thinkpad Driver Update program it downloaded a new one (as well as a handful of other updates), so I guess not? Running much better now, so thanks for the advice. Not holding my breath on a permanent fix, but cautiously optimistic.

RickoniX
Dec 4, 2005

A human or elf?

NO NOT A BADGER YOU GOON
So is the start page just random now? I am watching pages that I go to/click on constantly slide past pages I have done neither to in forever

vze
Jul 29, 2013

Good for nothing.

RickoniX posted:

So is the start page just random now? I am watching pages that I go to/click on constantly slide past pages I have done neither to in forever
I gave up trying to understand that voodoo and just use the Awesome New Tab Page extension.

nexus6
Sep 2, 2011

If only you could see what I've seen with your eyes
Goddamn it. Chrome has been autofilling the wrong saved passwords for HTTP authentication for a long time now and this morning it's disabled my custom userscripts, which I intentionally installed yesterday, because they're not 'from the Chrome Web Store' with no possibility to re-enable them.

What happened, Chrome? We used to be cool. Time to switch back to Firefox.

lunar detritus
May 6, 2009

nexus6 posted:

Goddamn it. Chrome has been autofilling the wrong saved passwords for HTTP authentication for a long time now and this morning it's disabled my custom userscripts, which I intentionally installed yesterday, because they're not 'from the Chrome Web Store' with no possibility to re-enable them.

What happened, Chrome? We used to be cool. Time to switch back to Firefox.

Save yourself time and the inevitable crawling back to Chrome and install Tampermonkey for your userscripts.

datajosh
May 3, 2002

I had the realization these aren't my problem!

gmq posted:

Save yourself time and the inevitable crawling back to Chrome and install Tampermonkey for your userscripts.
That's what I did

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

My Chrome died (Ubuntu 14.04). I load it up and get an error message mentioning a corrupted profile and directing me to create a new one. So I delete my profile, open up chrome, sign back in, but that doesn't make a difference. My extensions are all puzzle-piece icons, my bookmarks are there but with generic favicons, I can't download anything (simply nothing happens, nothing shows up in Downloads), I get "Page not found" when I go to History, probably other weird stuff I haven't encountered yet. What's going on?

MrMoo
Sep 14, 2000

nexus6 posted:

Goddamn it. Chrome has been autofilling the wrong saved passwords for HTTP authentication for a long time now

This is why they introduced the domain hint on autofill, quite handy. May be Windows-only so far as I haven't seen it in Ubuntu Chrome.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Is there a way to fix this bottom bar showing up over videos? It just started happening relatively recently and it's covering up the controls.

smackfu posted:

Wow, this new Chrome 32 is really buggy for me. I don't know if it's the scroll bar stuff, but I am getting a lot of pages coming up blank white screens, and then I have to resize the window to get the content to show up.

Edit: Ha, it happened on this page after I posted and it went to refresh. Bravo.

https://code.google.com/p/chromium/issues/detail?id=325309

This has been happening to me for several months, ever since I installed SLI Nvidia cards. Only way to prevent it is to turn off SLI.

Tiny Timbs fucked around with this message at 21:55 on May 18, 2014

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
My work laptop (which I solely use for non work purposes, not actually my work computer) was required for an order so I grabbed a random which had a fresh Windows 7 build on it. It's a HP ProBook 4730s if it matters for this.

So I did all my updates, removed some bloatware, and tried to install Chrome. The install seemed to go as expected but when I tried to use it, but it's basically not functional. It's extremely laggy to the point where letters come up a minute later if they do at all. Can't load web pages, etc.

I tried to install it twice but nothing changed. I don't know why this would be.

edit: It is the standard install version from https://www.google.com/chrome

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 21:10 on May 19, 2014

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Not sure if this is the best place to ask. I used an app-specific password to retrieve a Google Sheet using a Python API (gspread). I thought app-specific passwords were one-use, but the script continues to work. How specifically is the password tied to the app? Will the password continue to work only with gspread, only from my specific Python interpreter, or is it open to basically anything?

gariig
Dec 31, 2004
Beaten into submission by my fiance
Pillbug
It's open to anything. It's an app specific because you should generate a new password for each app not because Google is doing something special. However, if you write it down and stick it into every application Google will authenticate them all.

SurgicalOntologist
Jun 17, 2004

Okay thanks.

Gonkish
May 19, 2004

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but I didn't see any other relevant ones so here goes:

I've been using Google Hangouts to video call a friend, but I honestly loving hate having the Picture-in-Picture bullshit on screen. I do not need to see my own goony face while talking to people. Is there some way to disable this retarded poo poo? I haven't found loving anything online, no matter what I search for. It's a minor annoyance, obviously, but still annoying.

Thwomp
Apr 10, 2003

BA-DUHHH

Grimey Drawer

Gonkish posted:

I'm not sure if this is the right thread, but I didn't see any other relevant ones so here goes:

I've been using Google Hangouts to video call a friend, but I honestly loving hate having the Picture-in-Picture bullshit on screen. I do not need to see my own goony face while talking to people. Is there some way to disable this retarded poo poo? I haven't found loving anything online, no matter what I search for. It's a minor annoyance, obviously, but still annoying.

Uh, how else are you supposed to tell that you are in the camera frame?

TemporalParadox
Dec 21, 2003

*~blush~*
What extension is recommended these days to rip videos from sites like Youtube/dailymotion/whatever? I see a lot of the big names have been removing their functionality thanks to google so it's time for new options.

I know there are sites with that ability and ways to manually find and download the flvs, but it's pretty handy to hit a button and potentially even have it convert it for you.

DemonMage
Oct 14, 2004

What happens in the course of duty is up to you...
Tampermonkey + YouTube Center for YouTube (though UserScripts is down at the moment of this post). You could probably find other userscripts for other sites as well.

[Edit] Since it's possible UserScripts is just straight up gone here is the github for Youtube Center.

DemonMage fucked around with this message at 07:21 on May 23, 2014

Hardbody Jones
Dec 14, 2002

DemonMage posted:

Tampermonkey + YouTube Center for YouTube (though UserScripts is down at the moment of this post). You could probably find other userscripts for other sites as well.

[Edit] Since it's possible UserScripts is just straight up gone here is the github for Youtube Center.

http://userscripts.org:8080/scripts/show/114002

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Is it possible to log into Chrome for purposes of syncing bookmarks and whatnot, but not log into Gmail as well?

Klyith
Aug 3, 2007

GBS Pledge Week

TemporalParadox posted:

What extension is recommended these days to rip videos from sites like Youtube/dailymotion/whatever?
For Youtube, the switch to the DASH system where most video & audio formats are separate streams has made most browser extensions pretty limited at this job. I haven't seen any extension yet that can natively grab 1080p from the DASH stream. So you're limited to 480/720 -- fine if you just want the quick & easy method.

But if you want to grab 1080 or higher stuff, the best thing is youtube-dl. It's a pretty techie solution but it works with DASH, and updates very quickly whenever Google changes anything to gently caress with us.

My question is, with Youtube now going all HTML5 player, is there any way to force Chrome to use h.264 instead of Webm? Youtube delivers VP9 by default if the browser supports it, and it sucks. I watch LP videos and even the less demanding ones look worse, other things look like hot garbage.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?
Anyone else using the http switchboard extension? It has a tons of features to filter, whitelist / blacklist page content, kind of similar to noscript.

But there's been a bunch of talk in the last week about how much more efficiently it can do the job of adblock / adblock plus.
https://github.com/gorhill/httpswitchboard/wiki/Adblock-Plus-memory-consumption

I've been using it for a few days now;
It takes only 3 clicks from install to set it up to behave exactly like adblock plus (blacklist only). In use it's been functionally identical, but clearly has much less overhead.
https://chrome.google.com/webstore/detail/http-switchboard/mghdpehejfekicfjcdbfofhcmnjhgaag?hl=en

I heartily recommend it.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

Bouchacha posted:

Is it possible to log into Chrome for purposes of syncing bookmarks and whatnot, but not log into Gmail as well?

Is this not possible?

Ghostlight
Sep 25, 2009

maybe for one second you can pause; try to step into another person's perspective, and understand that a watermelon is cursing me

I'm not sure what the question is. They're completely different logins - I've got my bookmarks tied to one account but I swap around three other Gmail accounts at work without the Chrome account being affected.

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Delete the saved gmail l/p and relevant cookies from Chrome.

wooger
Apr 16, 2005

YOU RESENT?

withak posted:

Delete the saved gmail l/p and relevant cookies from Chrome.

There is an auto-login option in chrome://flags that should be checked too, that could cause a problem with this.

Bouchacha
Feb 7, 2006

wooger posted:

There is an auto-login option in chrome://flags that should be checked too, that could cause a problem with this.

Weird, this doesn't seem to do anything. Going to GMail doesn't prompt me for a password or anything.

It seems like I either log into Chrome and have gmail automatically logged in as well, or enter in two-step verification every single time. I hope I'm missing something.

Edit: Or do what the above poster does and have one account for syncing separate and apart from any gmail accounts.

Bouchacha fucked around with this message at 15:25 on May 26, 2014

Forbin5
May 24, 2014

My chrome keeps saying to log in after I log in.
Why!?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

So I'm having this problem.

Version 35.0.1916.114 m. Refreshing the tab does nothing. Only copy/pasting the page link into a new tab fixes the problem. :iiam:

Flagrama
Jun 19, 2010

Lipstick Apathy
Do you have directwrite enabled in chrome:\\flags ?

90s Solo Cup
Feb 22, 2011

To understand the cup
He must become the cup

Flagrama posted:

Do you have directwrite enabled in chrome:\\flags ?

:downsgun:

I forgot about that. I'll see how Chrome behaves now that it's disabled.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Lord Bude
May 23, 2007

ASK ME ABOUT MY SHITTY, BOUGIE INTERIOR DECORATING ADVICE

Everyday Lurker posted:

So I'm having this problem.

Version 35.0.1916.114 m. Refreshing the tab does nothing. Only copy/pasting the page link into a new tab fixes the problem. :iiam:

this is caused by enabling experimental direct write support in the flags page. It goes away when you disable it. Sadly some experiments on that page are more experimental than others