Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Corn Glizzy
Jun 28, 2007

This....this might actually be worth watching in theaters. I still hate the movie characterization of Optimus though, but I know he can't be 80's cartoon Optimus.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
What was the Game of Thrones reference in MTMTE 29? I cant find anything.

TheDK
Jun 5, 2009

Veg posted:

What was the Game of Thrones reference in MTMTE 29? I cant find anything.

I feel like someone said 'protector of the realm' or something to that effect. Maybe starscream. Could be wrong though as I don't have the comic nearby.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
if you haven't ordered Slug and Scorn yet, you should probably do so. They're both just as amazing as early hype suggested. My only real complaint is the prevalence of rubbery plastic, but I can understand that for the amount of pointy bits on each of them, don't want to poke little Tommy's eye out.

This has solidified my choice to purchase all the dinobots, though I think I'll wait on reviews for Grimlock.

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Grimlock, out of all the dinos, has the best chance of getting better releases down the line.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The difference between confinement and rest is a shift in perspective

So that happened.

And now I own a lot of dinobots and two Primes.

strangehamster
Sep 21, 2010

dance the night away

Rei_ posted:

So that happened.

And now I own a lot of dinobots and two Primes.

I've never seen a TRU so well stocked up, what country is this?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Canada. They had literally just set up the shelves as I walked in around like, 2?

Although at Walmart...

edit: Buy Evasion Optimus. Buy him. Now. Holy poo poo.

Rei_ fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 15, 2014

Sentinel Red
Nov 13, 2007
Style > Content.
I have to admit, the pics of Ultra Magnus really aren't doing it for me. The legs still look horrible, the assflap is laughable and he generally comes over as not so much a powerhouse but just the guy who ate all the energon pies. Perfect alt mode, mind.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
The buttflap on Magnus is really unfortunate. Screws up the robot silhouette from the front. I'd like it a lot better if there's a way to tuck that up into the cab backpack somehow.

C'mon, Takara, stop fumbling on the movie guys already. Rodimus didn't teach you anything?

Rei_
May 16, 2004

Guys seriously Evasion Optimus might be one of my favourite Transformers of the last long-rear end while.

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

Rei_ posted:

Guys seriously Evasion Optimus might be one of my favourite Transformers of the last long-rear end while.
I really think the chromed-out 2 pack version looks better (mouthplate, chrome, better color apps), is he THAT GOOD that I shouldn't wait for the later release?

Also based on that new trailer, I'm going to predict that Ratchet dies for sure.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Xenomrph posted:

Also based on that new trailer, I'm going to predict that Ratchet dies for sure.

We already have precedent for it: https://tfwiki.net/wiki/To_sell_toys

Also I love that I foresaw a brachiosaur Dinobot. I am so getting him if he is good. And I'm getting the wave 1 stuff this weekend when I go to see Godzilla.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

The Rage posted:

This....this might actually be worth watching in theaters. I still hate the movie characterization of Optimus though, but I know he can't be 80's cartoon Optimus.

If Optimus is so annoyed about his people dying on earth, and humans in general, why doesn't he just get the gently caress off the planet? It's not even his; he has no right to be peevish.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The Decepticons blew up their only ship in DOTM.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Rei_ posted:

The Decepticons blew up their only ship in DOTM.

In the first movie the Autobots all just fell to Earth in some kind of meteorite mode. Why do they suddenly need a ship?

HiriseSoftware
Dec 3, 2004

Two tips for the wise:
1. Buy an AK-97 assault rifle.
2. If there's someone hanging around your neighborhood you don't know, shoot him.

Keldroc posted:

In the first movie the Autobots all just fell to Earth in some kind of meteorite mode. Why do they suddenly need a ship?

It's a lot easier to fall from space than to jump into it.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Just like, loving floating around, yeah we'll just land here, fall on the planet quietly, no impact. Just casually walk out of the pool and towel off. Doesn't require a ship.

Maybe they're taking a page from the ongoing where Rodimus is like I want off this loving planet, this place is depressing, Optimus you have brain problems and get me the gently caress out of here, to which Optimus just has a stroke. Just stays on Earth for no reason. Actually causes more problems. I wish they'd referenced that in MTMTE, Roberts should be parodying the gently caress out of the ongoing. Optimus gets on the high horse and Rodimus comes back with 'remember when we spent three years on Earth with buildings falling on Prowl and I don't think we ever even got Seaspray back' and Optimus just sort of twitches til Rodimus leaves the room in disgust.

But seriously the ongoing was so loving depressing. Optimus just traps his soldiers on Earth and Rodimus is the only one to talk any sense. This is a nightmare scenario. Later Jazz abandons a cripple.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

HiriseSoftware posted:

It's a lot easier to fall from space than to jump into it.

But how did they get there in the first place? What were they doing? How long were they in space? Millions of years? I know we're not supposed to think about this and just supposed to go "oooooh" at the slick CG and the epic music but that whole sequence never made any drat sense. At least Megatron kinda turned into some sort of ship thing.

Do the unreadable tie-in comics have some kind of half-assed explanation for that?

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
:siren: :siren: :siren:
Is this evasion mode OP thing going to be the new ROTF Bludgeon where nobody will shut up about it until I get one, and then everyone will have moved on to the next thing.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I kind of want to wait for the two-pack since it has the faceplate head, but I've been known to have poor impulse control.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

When is the two-pack supposed to be out?

Edit: Robot Kingdom is saying May 17th, so maybe it'll be in stores this weekend, fingers crossed.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

:getin:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

loving yessssssssssssss

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
You know what, come to think of it there hasn't been an Original G1 guy in the movies yet who has not had a classics version made of them either slightly prior to a movie coming out, or post movie.

We even got a Deluxe Wheelie for generations even after the awful version of him in ROTF and DOTM.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

I'm ready for Bumblebee to go away again.

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Do kids even like Bumblebee? Or is it just a case of "we think kids like this" so more 'bees get made than anything else, which results in more bees sold?

I know when I was a kid something like Bumblebee was way too nonthreatening to be cool. I had way more Predacons, and rarely bothered with Maximals.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Rei_ posted:

I'm ready for Bumblebee to go away again.

I'm ready for you to shut your face before I make you give it to me.

Unless you only mean non-MP Bees , then sure!

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI
I still like G1 and IDW Bumblebee. The Bumblebee from the movies and Prime has absolutely nothing in common with the original character except for the name and the color. And in fact, most of the time they can't even get the color right, because a lot of Bumblebee toys are orange instead of yellow. Don't be hatin' on G1 Bee just because he shares a name with a guy we all hate. That's like if I decided I'm going to hate all guys named Steve because I know one Steve who is a total dick.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
Nominating Powerglide for replacing him as a kid appeal character.

Rei_
May 16, 2004

The most perfect Bumblebee ever made was Cyberfire Bumblebee and there is literally no need for another Bumblebee to ever be created.

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

An Angry Bug posted:

Not with that name, sounds too much like lube. In fact, I do a double take every time I see that one G1 episode title.

But yeah, it's time for another minibot to be the kid friendly character.

Dat 'bee, doh. Dat 'bee.

revtoiletduck
Aug 21, 2006
smart newbie
I didn't like G1 Bumblebee either.

GET IN THE ROBOT
Nov 28, 2007

JUST GET IN THE FUCKING ROBOT SHINJI

An Angry Bug posted:

That may not go over well after the court case involving domestic abuse.

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

The Taint Reaper posted:

You know what, come to think of it there hasn't been an Original G1 guy in the movies yet who has not had a classics version made of them either slightly prior to a movie coming out, or post movie.

We even got a Deluxe Wheelie for generations even after the awful version of him in ROTF and DOTM.

We're 7/5/3 years post movies and we've had main, iconic bots take over 2 years from their movie debut to get a classics toy (Jazz) or have no classics toy at all (Devastator), unless you try to count the video games (Soundwave).

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
Does mp soundwave count there

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

Rita Repulsa posted:

Does mp soundwave count there

MPs never count. For such a popular character, Soundwave barely ever gets toys.

Edit: and tbqh I think MP Soundwave was a pretty half hearted effort in the first place.

ForeverSmug fucked around with this message at 18:02 on May 16, 2014

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...
MPs are their own thing: way bigger, way more just plain G1 instead of a modern update evocative of G1. To be fair, I'm not counting repaints of old toys sold under a CHUG label as filler, either, because the toys aren't in anything like the classics style (but am counting "movie toys" that are in the classics style).
If you want to go a bit obscure, 7 years and no classics Barricade, even though there was a G1 Barricade.

A Shitty Reporter
Oct 29, 2012
Dinosaur Gum
I still maintain that WfC/FoC figures count. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

ForeverSmug posted:

Edit: and tbqh I think MP Soundwave was a pretty half hearted effort in the first place.

Um I think if you carefully review the g1 cartoon you'll find that Soundwave definitely enjoyed wearing saddlebags on his calves