Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Bitch Twinkles
Nov 5, 2007

HAVE COURAGE PLAY ST MODE

My girlfriend put this on the inside of my birthday card after having revealed my secret fondness for all things JoJo. This new ASB game, despite from a FG perspective being dog dick, has been my jam. And I am fully caught up on the new anime, Jojo lyfe.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Jack in!! MegaMan, Execute!
So, what's the deal with the new universe for Parts VII - VIII?

From what I understand, Johnny Joestar is the AU Jonathan Joestar? But isn't Jolyne alive as another person at the end of Part VI?

Is Araki preparing to have all of the JoJos band together against one final enemy or something?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Part 7 and 8 are just alternate universes, that's it. The JoJos from Part 7 and 8 have no relation to Jolyne and her reincarnated group.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

So Jolyene is a different person, but there is also a completely separate group of Joestars that ends up having the same line of children that are all also different people? :psyduck:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
No, it's a separate alternate universe.

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
The end of Part 6 has nothing to do with Part 7.

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

So, what's the deal with the new universe for Parts VII - VIII?

From what I understand, Johnny Joestar is the AU Jonathan Joestar? But isn't Jolyne alive as another person at the end of Part VI?

Is Araki preparing to have all of the JoJos band together against one final enemy or something?

If you read SBR the alternate universes thing will be explained.

hoobajoo
Jun 2, 2004

Cerebral Bore posted:

After reading SBR, I like to think Phantom Blood-Stone Ocean is the alternate timeline.

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

Cerebral Bore posted:

Just started Stone Ocean. But I can hold my questions until the next arc, I suppose.

CodfishCartographer
Feb 23, 2010

Gadus Maprocephalus

Pillbug
Honestly, the alternate universe and alternate Joestar family line gets explained much better in Jojolion than in SBR.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here
I still haven't given up hope that we're going to see not-Jotaro show up in the background or something. Not related to the plot, he just happens to be in Morioh for vacation.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I'm the quick and the deadly
His hairhat made a cameo, what more could you want?

Cerebral Bore
Apr 21, 2010

Fun Shoe

Kabanaw posted:

I still haven't given up hope that we're going to see not-Jotaro show up in the background or something. Not related to the plot, he just happens to be in Morioh for vacation.

Don't we already have one and a half not-Jotaros running around though?

hoobajoo posted:

After reading SBR, I like to think Phantom Blood-Stone Ocean is the alternate timeline.

Yeah, since Zombie Jesus doesn't make an appearance in the original timeline, this is pretty much true.

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

The Jorge Joestar novel says SBR and jojolion happened before parts 1 through 6 but other than that it's really stated at all where the two universes are in relation to each other chronologically.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

I don't think the original universe is a parallel version of the SBR universe. Everything that happens in every version of the SBR universe is roughly the same except some details are changed. The events in the original universe are completely different. Going by the end of Stone Ocean, the Jojo world is not only a multiverse, but cyclical. When time ends in the big crunch the universe repeats itself again in another big bang. The universe collapses and expands upon itself and the only constant is JoJo.
:goonsay:

Blueberry Pancakes
Aug 18, 2012

One other thing I'm curious about: is it ever explained why Jotaro became a marine-biologist?

From what I can tell, the Star and Moon cards in the Tarot are pretty similar, so did Araki give him that career as a reference to Dark Blue Moon?

Agent Interrobang
Mar 27, 2010

sugar & spice & psychoactive mushrooms
Jotaro just likes fish and animals. That is literally it. His favorite movie is a nature documentary.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Hobgoblin2099 posted:

One other thing I'm curious about : is it ever explained why Jotaro became a marine-biologist?

From what I can tell, the Star and Moon cards in the Tarot are pretty similar, so did Araki give him that career as a reference to Dark Blue Moon?

He liked punching that shark so much that he decided he's going to punch every fish in the sea.

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

I could have sworn I read somewhere that he was named after somebody in the Japanese royal family that is a marine biologist, but I think I'm combining two different people.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Jotaro became a marine biologist to spite Joseph, who has a phobia of fishes after his piranha plane encounter with Cars.

Nessus
Dec 22, 2003

After a Speaker vote, you may be entitled to a valuable coupon or voucher!

Pt 9: A slice of life focused on a wacky marine institution struggling with addressing the challenges of climate change, funding, and academic culture, made a little spicier by those wacky names and some of the people having Stands, that they use for mischief. Two volumes in, Dr. Kujo gets back from overseas.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

The Jorge Joestar novel says SBR and jojolion happened before parts 1 through 6 but other than that it's really stated at all where the two universes are in relation to each other chronologically.
The Jorge Joestar novel says a lot of things.

Kabanaw posted:

I don't think the original universe is a parallel version of the SBR universe. Everything that happens in every version of the SBR universe is roughly the same except some details are changed. The events in the original universe are completely different. Going by the end of Stone Ocean, the Jojo world is not only a multiverse, but cyclical. When time ends in the big crunch the universe repeats itself again in another big bang. The universe collapses and expands upon itself and the only constant is JoJo.
:goonsay:

Yeah, Araki called the SBR world a parallel universe but I'm not so sure parts 1-6 and 7+8 are in the same "continuity."

Ethiser
Dec 31, 2011

gently caress trophy 2k14 posted:

How does that even come up in a book about a world war 2 pilot?

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax

Ethiser posted:

It also has 13 time traveling Kars.

George Joestar is a beautifully hosed up book.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Wait, all those crazy as gently caress things people post about that book are real and not people joking? :pwn:

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Ethiser posted:

The Jorge Joestar novel covers more than that.

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Wait, all those crazy as gently caress things people post about that book are real and not people joking? :pwn:

Look up the Jorge Joestar light novel, much like Over Heaven and Purple Haze Distortion, it's very dubious in how canon it is. Unlike those two though, it is loving nuts, hilarious, and so obviously non-canon that it hurts it won't ever be canon.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Speaking of the novels, I finished Purple Haze Feedback and I'm a bit sad that it was pretty grounded and didn't go insane like Jorge Joestar. A crazy stand using vampire powered by the last remaining mask woulda been hilarious and I was saddened to see the possibility crushed as soon as it was introduced.

Hitlersaurus Christ
Oct 14, 2005

Is Purple Haze Feedback the only one translated?

grancheater
May 1, 2013

Wine'em, dine'em, 69'em

Broseph Brostar posted:

I could have sworn I read somewhere that he was named after somebody in the Japanese royal family that is a marine biologist, but I think I'm combining two different people.

The current and previous emperor (Akihito and Hirohito) have done marine biology stuff.

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
So Gappy's bubbles are spheres, right? Of course. So what happens if he really is part Johnny and he remembers how to Spin?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Hitlersaurus Christ posted:

Is Purple Haze Feedback the only one translated?

Over Heaven has been translated too, but Jorge Joestar is like a 700+ page book and none of the dudes from the JoJo forums are exactly jumping at the chance to take on that task. Be warned of Over Heaven's translation though because it contains that usual obnoxious wording for poo poo and overly literal spellings such as "Kuujou Joutarou".

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 14:49 on May 16, 2014

MelvinBison
Nov 17, 2012

"Is this the ideal world that you envisioned?"
"I guess you could say that."

Pillbug
Who wants some menacing ice cubes?

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

If only that coffin had a second coffin hidden inside to be used as a stashbox.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Not making little fist shaped icecubes is kind of a miss. Imagine a cup full of ORAORAORAORA!! in the morning.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
I'm buying that ice tray and nothing's gonna stop me except Japanese credit cards. I'm not gonna lie, I want those converses too, but just because I want anime on my feet and I have awful taste in shoes.

SunAndSpring
Dec 4, 2013
I'd buy a Kira tie. Of course, I'd never wear it in public ever, but it'd be nice to have.

Kaiser Mazoku
Mar 24, 2011

Didn't you see it!? Couldn't you see my "spirit"!?
I have a Kira tie that I bought for Sakura Con.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

Orgia Carnaval posted:

I'm buying that ice tray and nothing's gonna stop me except Japanese credit cards. I'm not gonna lie, I want those converses too, but just because I want anime on my feet and I have awful taste in shoes.

I'm so extremely disappointed because they're only selling them up to size 11.5 and I'm a 13 :negative:

I also have a terrible taste in shoes and already designed custom Converse based off Johnny's outfit:

Edit: Unless they are sold in US size 13? Charts say that's 29.4 CM and they sell them in 30 CM so :shrug:

Kabanaw fucked around with this message at 19:51 on May 16, 2014

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Oh wait those things only go up to 11.5? Well poo poo, my big American feet aren't fitting in those. Looks like it's just menacing ice for me.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tap my mountain
Jan 1, 2009

Kaiser Mazoku posted:

I have a Kira tie that I bought for Sakura Con.

Is there a legitimate licensed one out there? I saw somebody dressed as Kira at a convention and he said he had to make his own.

Apparently he spent all weekend getting mistaken for Cecil from Welcome to Nightvale.

• Locked thread