Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes

McGavin posted:

When are you guys going to give Nubia a cultural retinue and cultural buildings? My Nubian brothers need some love. :whatup:

Well since you ask:

quote:

Added third open beta version of patch 2.1.5 to Steam.
If you want to help us test it, right click the game in the Steam client, choose Properties, click the "Betas" tab and select the "Beta 2.1.5.3" version of the game.

This time around the beta is highly experimental, we have made a lot of memory optimizations and we are not sure how they will work late-game, hopefully they will significantly lower the memory use of the game, but we are not absolutely sure it will work.
If you are experiencing crashes with this latest beta please switch back to the non-beta version of the game.

Here's the full change log:

MAJOR
- Texture memory usage has been optimized, this should result in far lower memory useage, both on the graphics card and RAM.
- Even more memory usage optimization, reduced memory usage growth over time.
- Fixed issue where temporary revolt titles got inherited by characters outside the revolt. ( Old saves affected by this should also be repaired )
- Fixed issue where vassals under a temporary revolt title got independent on Liege's death.
- Fixed issue where vassals with a liege in a revolt could create new higher tier titles and become independent of the original liege when the revolt ended
- Fixed issue where a vassal got independent when they joined a rebellion outside the realm of its liege.

MINOR:
- Vassals can no longer participate in the same war as their lieges, except in Crusades or when fighting the liege in a rebellion.
- Lieges can now offer to join vassals wars when they are pressing a claim outside of the realm, replacing the vassal as participant.
- Jewish buildings and retinues no longer need Jewish religion, only Israelite culture group.
- Added Nubian cultural retinue and building.

INTERFACE:
- Fixed localisation for Rabbis in religion tab.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

DStecks posted:

I'm almost positive that nothing can affect succession laws like they'd need to for this to work.

An interesting idea, one that could even work. It wouldn't even be that hard to implement; the obstacle becomes how prompt the game is about checking for illegal succession laws. It's a hacky fix, but a potentially viable one.

It's really easy actually, the all gavelkind mod I posted a month or so back does just that. You are correct in that removing an existing succession law is tricky. You basically mark it as invalid, use the command to remove it from the list entirely, and then after succession is recalculated (a couple times a year usually), it'll get removed. Sometimes it requires an actual succession to happen.

In the end, for the allgavel mod I decided it was easier to just have the game start with all succession types disabled, and then make enabling them a 1-time option. Disabling of succession types is just too flaky.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Shadeoses posted:

Are you making every province roughly the same size? I don't know much about America, but I assume places like the Midwest and other noted wastelands would be much less developed or inhabited, like how Scandinavia, Arabia and the steppe are generally bigger.
Pfah!

I've been barely increasing provinces as I've been heading westwards so far, but mostly it's just been holding sizes that've been declining so far. I suppose that provinces ought to be bigger once on the Great Plains proper, and then the Rockies are going to be a hell of a mess.

Munin posted:

How many provinces are you going to end up with btw? How is that going to stack up with Vanilla.

It's going to be quite interesting to play since the dynamics will be so different given everything is so land-bound. Will you be having Pagan attrition for anyone? This would even further restrict the area you can project power across since marching troops across certain areas would incur massive attrition.
Thus far there's 346 counties in-game, as of the map posted above. Covering the rest of the land east of the Mississippi, including Canada, might add, I dunno, no more than a hundred there? The Pacific coastline proper ought to be pretty detailed and then rapidly get larger provinces the further inland it goes, so the US and Canada all told might end up being... what, 700-900 provinces? Then account for Mexico, which'll probably have the most detail along some stretches of the coast as well as around Mexico City proper, and then the rest of the Caribbean. 1200-1400 provinces all told? Just making a wild guess here.

Rumda posted:

Are you going to make the misisipppi a regular sea zone so republics can pop up on the banks and allow transit to the interior or just a river.
I really don't know, still. All religions have been set to be able to traverse rivers already, but I fear that if the Lower Mississippi was made into proper sea zones then things could get finicky and weird real fast.

WhiskeyJuvenile
Feb 15, 2002

by Nyc_Tattoo
I haven't played since the expansion: is there a good rundown of the new mechanics?

binge crotching
Apr 2, 2010

Ofaloaf posted:

I really don't know, still. All religions have been set to be able to traverse rivers already, but I fear that if the Lower Mississippi was made into proper sea zones then things could get finicky and weird real fast.

Just make them sea zones, and put straits in between the sides. It should probably be sea zones up to St. Louis or so, so you can have a St. Louis Merchant Republic.

edit: You could even have the Missouri be a few sea zones over to KC, so you can then have a competing Merchant Republic there too.

binge crotching fucked around with this message at 14:21 on May 16, 2014

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

SeaTard posted:

Just make them sea zones, and put straits in between the sides. It should probably be sea zones up to St. Louis or so, so you can have a St. Louis Merchant Republic.

edit: You could even have the Missouri be a few sea zones over to KC, so you can then have a competing Merchant Republic there too.

St. Louis is new Rome the Pope doesn't consort with petty merchants.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Rumda posted:

St. Louis is new Rome the Pope doesn't consort with petty merchants.

Yeah, I went all A Canticle For Leibowitz there, so St. Louis is already home to the Papacy.

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

Then make the Most Serene Republic of Memphis.

Munin
Nov 14, 2004

Ofaloaf posted:

Thus far there's 346 counties in-game, as of the map posted above. Covering the rest of the land east of the Mississippi, including Canada, might add, I dunno, no more than a hundred there? The Pacific coastline proper ought to be pretty detailed and then rapidly get larger provinces the further inland it goes, so the US and Canada all told might end up being... what, 700-900 provinces? Then account for Mexico, which'll probably have the most detail along some stretches of the coast as well as around Mexico City proper, and then the rest of the Caribbean. 1200-1400 provinces all told? Just making a wild guess here.

So about 400 more than the pre-Rajas map then. I don't know the Rajas province count but I think it is likely in the 1200-1400 ballpark as well.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Munin posted:

So about 400 more than the pre-Rajas map then. I don't know the Rajas province count but I think it is likely in the 1200-1400 ballpark as well.

Yeah Rajas increased the province count by 1/3.

KOGAHAZAN!!
Apr 29, 2013

a miserable failure as a person

an incredible success as a magical murder spider

Munin posted:

There are 1,210 files in history/provinces/, and they all have a max_settlements line, so I'm guessing that's the number of non-wasteland land provinces.

Oh, and there're 5,086 holding slots spread around those provinces. I wouldn't push too far beyond either of those figures, because Rajas is already slow as poo poo.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2
Can we please get a prisoner torture DLC please? I have 78 prisoners and haven't had a single event to rack or oubliette them and some of them have been in prison for over 50 years (since they were infants :haw:).

Speaking of which in my most recent game as the Emperor of Carpathia I had a prisoner that was 46, had been in prison since 2, she hates me. So I took her as my concubine and got the 'abductor' modifier and proceeded to have her family imprisoned and executed. God it feels good to be Emperor!

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

Toadsniff posted:

Can we please get a prisoner torture DLC please? I have 78 prisoners and haven't had a single event to rack or oubliette them and some of them have been in prison for over 50 years (since they were infants :haw:).

Speaking of which in my most recent game as the Emperor of Carpathia I had a prisoner that was 46, had been in prison since 2, she hates me. So I took her as my concubine and got the 'abductor' modifier and proceeded to have her family imprisoned and executed. God it feels good to be Emperor!

I had my Venetian Doge once get the "I think X has taken a fancy to me, go give her a good tumble" event for a prisoner, a random unimportant Muslim woman captured while invading North Africa. Then he went to her room and gave her a tumble and they fell in love, while she was still in the dungeons. This actually kind of disturbed me, though of course not enough to not watch it happen with morbid curiosity.

... then I forgot all about this and when I loaded the game the next time I went through my list of prisoners and executed a bunch of the unimportant ones because they were taking up too much space. My Doge accidentally executed his own prison lover/victim. This game makes monsters of us all.

Dwarf
Oct 21, 2010
Is it possible to roll back to 2.1.5.2? The new patch makes the game unplayable because of crashes.

Vander
Aug 16, 2004

I am my own hero.
Is there something I'm missing from Norse Holy Wars?

I'm Norway, Leader of the Reformed Norse faith, and I called a holy war for the Kingdom of Sweden. I won the war and took his surrender, but I didn't get any of his land. Why didn't I get his Kingdom title?

If it matters, he's got the Kingdom titles for Denmark and England as well as a slew of lower level titles.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Toadsniff posted:

If it is any consolation, they probably are being tortured by the guards. Just not by you personally. If you play a kid you can get an event where you explore the dungeons, hear screaming and guards laughing, and find a bloody knife.

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011
Is there some way to trigger the Jomsviking via event in the console? Seriously getting tired of them never appearing in my norse games.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Angela Christine posted:

If it is any consolation, they probably are being tortured by the guards. Just not by you personally. If you play a kid you can get an event where you explore the dungeons, hear screaming and guards laughing, and find a bloody knife.

Oh, so that's the other side of you finding your kid walking out of the dungeons with a knife. I was wondering why so many wards seemed to be sadists, but that makes more sense.

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Deceitful Penguin posted:

Is there some way to trigger the Jomsviking via event in the console? Seriously getting tired of them never appearing in my norse games.

"event TOG.4010" without the quotation marks

Deceitful Penguin
Feb 16, 2011

Allyn posted:

"event TOG.4010" without the quotation marks

Man, thanks a bunch. Now I got someone to offload all this worthless but manpower rich land on that won't collapse every generation.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

Toadsniff posted:

Blots would solve all your problems, too bad that you are playing a boring faith ;)

Fuligin
Oct 27, 2010

wait what the fuck??

Is there a way to force V-Sync? I don't see it as an option.

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
What would be a good retinue composition when you got no cultural retinues (I dont, for some reason)?

Mine was mostly in cavalry and heavy infrantry and archers, and it was working fine. But that seems poorly effective againsnt the mongols.

marktheando
Nov 4, 2006

Torrannor posted:

Blots would solve all your problems, too bad that you are playing a boring faith ;)

Indeed. Nowadays I find it hard to play as a non viking or non Hindu.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mk2E1CoGe98

Now I just need to find out the best way to lose the 'kind' trait so I can sacrifice people again.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"
I've just realised that I've never actually played this game as a Muslim. What is a good place for an Old Gods start? I'm thinking either a Persian and then invade India or starting in Andalusia and wiping out the Catholics and fighting off Aztecs.

Torrannor
Apr 27, 2013

---FAGNER---
TEAM-MATE

a pipe smoking dog posted:

I've just realised that I've never actually played this game as a Muslim. What is a good place for an Old Gods start? I'm thinking either a Persian and then invade India or starting in Andalusia and wiping out the Catholics and fighting off Aztecs.

You cannot go wrong with the Umayyads. Andalusia is a fun start, but don't expand into France too early, because some of their provinces unlock Crusades if they are held by non-Christians.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

Torrannor posted:

don't expand into France too early, because some of their provinces unlock Crusades if they are held by non-Christians.

Alternatively, expand into France, and destroy the infidels who dare Crusade against you.

Pellisworth
Jun 20, 2005
In case anyone's wondering, the new Nubian cultural retinues are 500x +60% Offensive archers (just like English/Welsh though they don't get the longbow tactic) and the building gives a split of heavy and light infantry and archers.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Torrannor posted:

You cannot go wrong with the Umayyads. Andalusia is a fun start, but don't expand into France too early, because some of their provinces unlock Crusades if they are held by non-Christians.

Avoid Provence, Toulouse, and Paris.

a pipe smoking dog posted:

Try something smaller, like the Hashimids. Take the Kingdoms of Arabia (as much as you can get without conflict with the Arabian Empire) and Abyssinia, then invade India.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Roland Jones posted:

Oh, so that's the other side of you finding your kid walking out of the dungeons with a knife. I was wondering why so many wards seemed to be sadists, but that makes more sense.

Yeah, it was pretty cool when that fired. You find a dirty, sticky knife, then get out into the light and find that the knife sticky because it is covered in blood. Urg. Then your guardian birches you (or whatever) without giving you a chance to explain. :(

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

Torrannor posted:

Yeah, be careful. You have a lot toulouse if you take too much at once.

a pipe smoking dog
Jan 25, 2010

"haha, dogs can't smoke!"

ulmont posted:

Avoid Provence, Toulouse, and Paris.

Try something smaller, like the Hashimids. Take the Kingdoms of Arabia (as much as you can get without conflict with the Arabian Empire) and Abyssinia, then invade India.

I like the sound of that because it avoids me being steam-rollered by the Seljuks and the Hashimids are a legitimately interesting dynasty. Plus I hate starting off too powerful, because it makes stabbing less important.

Beamed
Nov 26, 2010

Then you have a responsibility that no man has ever faced. You have your fear which could become reality, and you have Godzilla, which is reality.

Ofaloaf posted:

Yeah, be careful. You have a lot toulouse if you take too much at once.

:golfclap:

Zeron
Oct 23, 2010

Torrannor posted:

Blots only kill like 3-4 people once every nine years and completely random ones too, I wanted the Pope sacrificed damnit. It never makes a dent in my prisoner pile, and if I want something special like sacrificing the Pope/Patriarch/Caliph in one blot I have to release everyone else.

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

Pellisworth posted:

In case anyone's wondering, the new Nubian cultural retinues are 500x +60% Offensive archers (just like English/Welsh though they don't get the longbow tactic) and the building gives a split of heavy and light infantry and archers.

Looks like I've got a reason to start out a game as a Nubian lord.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Oh, Aztecs. How did you manage to immediately find the one fight this side of the Atlantic you couldn't win? :allears:

100K doomstack and the Aztec military dominance just gone in a single battle. For the sake of one duchy. Admittedly a pretty good, defensible duchy. Probably not worth challenging the second largest military might though.

vyelkin
Jan 2, 2011

BioMe posted:

Oh, Aztecs. How did you manage to immediately find the one fight this side of the Atlantic you couldn't win? :allears:

100K doomstack and the Aztec military dominance just gone in a single battle. For the sake of one duchy. Admittedly a pretty good, defensible duchy. Probably not worth challenging the second largest military might though.

I've had this with the Timurids before when I'd conquered most of the Holy Land as Brittania. They took over Persia easily and then tried to invade British Mesopotamia immediately afterwards, and I ended up fighting like a decade-long war against them where they would destroy my armies but lose one or two doomstacks doing it, my armies would reform in Britain while I held them off with replenishing retinues, mercenaries, and holy orders, and then my guys would get shipped back to the Middle East and we would do it all over again, until they ran out of doomstacks and I made them surrender. It was glorious, one of the most epic wars I've fought in Crusader Kings.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Something that could make intrigue even more interesting would be if you could plot to influence somebody to take a particular action. Like, say, you're a duke who owes 350 gold to the Jews, you could plot to influence your king to kick them out so he eats the penalty and you lose your debt.

You could maybe even plot to influence people to make specific diplomatic decisions with certain people, so you could even engineer a war, but that would be another level of difficulty yet. It would be supremely cool, though.

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
Eh. 'Difficulty' for plots is too binary for that, I think. Either enough people will join the plot for you to pull it off, or not, with just a little bit of wiggle room from those who are close enough to the edge to be bribed over.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Any good guides on culture modding? I'm thinking I'd like to add a couple cultures but I'm not quite certain where to start.

• Locked thread