Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Gohan regressing after the end of Cell Games makes a lot more sense if you look at his letting loose into SSJ2 as tapping into more of his saiyan half than his human half. Gohan holds back his saiyan side, due to seeing how guys like Raditz, Nappa and Vegeta all turn out to be dickish murderous asshats. When he finally has to embrace that other part of himself, he overpowers and embarrasses the strongest threat the world has ever seen. Unfortunately, that saiyan poo poo kicks in and he underestimates what a cornered Cell can do, and has to get bailed out in the end. When I put two and two together on that aspect, it explained Gohan's eventual transition into dorky supernerd a lot more than I expected it to. To Gohan, the saiyan approach to fighting has never worked.

Frankly, I find it hilarious that a show as simple as Dragonball Z still has a few surprises for me when I rewatch it. I guess it didn't help being 13 when it came out.:shobon:

Shinjobi fucked around with this message at 23:25 on May 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nf3
Oct 9, 2012
Did anyone else notice the strange audio repeat on the latest teamfourstar episode ?

VanSandman
Feb 16, 2011
SWAP.AVI EXCHANGER
Gohan's always been a super nerd. He loved playing detective because he loves that poo poo. Chi-Chi pushes him like crazy to study (which is part of the joke) and Goku pushes him like crazy to fight. He prefers studying. Chi-Chi is not the bad parent, you dummies.

AshB
Sep 16, 2007
There are just so many things I'm looking forward to in the Gohan vs. Cell fight:

-Goku telling Gohan to fight
-Goku recklessly giving Cell a senzu when it's Gohan's turn
-Gohan dodging everything
-Goku's lovely parenting being the likely trigger for Gohan's transformation
-The Cell Jrs and Gohan insanely murdering all of them
-Gohan's reaction to his own demented side causing Goku's death

Hobo Siege
Apr 24, 2008

by Cowcaster
Prediction: When Mr. Satan throws 16's head at Gohan, 16 will speak but two words: "Bye, Gohan!"

Captain Quack
Feb 18, 2013
I remember Trunks becoming kinda happy by the fact that he was going to spend a whole year with his father in the Time Chamber.

I can see Gohan going "Oh no! A whole year alone with my father!"

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I don't get why everyone's calling SSJ2 Gohan crazy when he was just really, really pissed off.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

(and can't post for 10 years!)

Well, he did finally join in the Saiyan tradition of completely screwing the pooch right when he could have finished the fight.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012

Squallege posted:

Trunks's story's number one, followed by Bardock, then Cooler, then Battle of the Gods, then whatever.... Super 13 or something.

I would actually say History of Trunks then Bardocks movie and then the Dead Zone( I really loved how this movie looked and I loved all the fights, especially Piccolos versus Pepperoni I think his name was?). I don't like Coolers Revenge, everything leading up to the big fight was incredibly boring and even when Goku fought Cooler it wasn't particularly entertaining.

Arsonist Daria
Feb 27, 2011

Requiescat in pace.
History of Trunks is both great and awful, because Future Trunks is probably one of Toriyama's most interesting characters and the Trunks in the prime timeline is just kinda lame.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.
Alternate hosed up futures where poo poo goes bad are always way more interesting than the main timeline because you see so little of it. I'm willing to bet in a fair number of cases if the scenario were elaborated upon further it wouldn't be as cool as people imagine.

That said History of Trunks is excellent.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Lumberjack Bonanza posted:

History of Trunks is both great and awful, because Future Trunks is probably one of Toriyama's most interesting characters and the Trunks in the prime timeline is just kinda lame.

Well prime trunks gets to grow up with a dad, friends, and no robots systematically wiping out the human race out of boredom.

Szmitten
Apr 26, 2008

WhiffleballDude posted:

Alternate hosed up futures where poo poo goes bad are always way more interesting than the main timeline because you see so little of it. I'm willing to bet in a fair number of cases if the scenario were elaborated upon further it wouldn't be as cool as people imagine.

That said History of Trunks is excellent.

I guess that's what Multiverse is for.

My main memory of History of Trunks is the music, especially the one looped on the DVD menu which is also used at the beginning when Goku dies, and I think there was another track which was the "in the rain looking for dead Gohan" theme.

Squallege
Jan 7, 2006

No greater good, no just cause

Grimey Drawer

Szmitten posted:

I guess that's what Multiverse is for.

My main memory of History of Trunks is the music, especially the one looped on the DVD menu which is also used at the beginning when Goku dies, and I think there was another track which was the "in the rain looking for dead Gohan" theme.

The music for the Trunks movie was done by Dream Theater from their Metropolis Act 2 album. At least it was in the US. It was pretty great to me in middle school.

e: wait, it was more than just Dream Theater because I remember a rap song being in the credits too. I remember History of Trunks entirely too much.

Squallege fucked around with this message at 01:29 on May 17, 2014

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
It's weird that all of the industrial music in the dub of Dragon Ball Z during the Cell saga (and the random nu-metal and whatnot in the movies) really makes it feel like a product of the turn of the millennium when Cell appeared in the manga and anime in the beginning of the 90s, right around when grunge was just taking off. Bruce Falcouner's work really flavored the series that much.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cheapsteaks posted:

It's weird that all of the industrial music in the dub of Dragon Ball Z during the Cell saga (and the random nu-metal and whatnot in the movies) really makes it feel like a product of the turn of the millennium when Cell appeared in the manga and anime in the beginning of the 90s, right around when grunge was just taking off. Bruce Falcouner's work really flavored the series that much.

This is one of the reasons I dislike Kai. The music is just so lovely compared to the original dub's.

Cheapsteaks
Apr 25, 2008

Getting a heavy metal avatar leads to far fewer regrets than a heavy metal tattoo.
Japan loves them some brass heavy trumpet music battle music, that's for sure.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

Cheapsteaks posted:

Japan loves them some brass heavy trumpet music battle music, that's for sure.

The Pokemon Ruby soundtrack confirms this.

Cornwind Evil
Dec 14, 2004

The undisputed world champion of wrestling effortposting

TheKingofSprings posted:

I don't get why everyone's calling SSJ2 Gohan crazy when he was just really, really pissed off.

"Really, really pissed off" is when he's kicking Cell Jrs in half. "I'm not going to kill him because I want him to suffer more" is where it tips over into psychosis and sadism.

The Golden Gael
Nov 12, 2011

Genocyber posted:

This is one of the reasons I dislike Kai. The music is just so lovely compared to the original dub's.

I liked the original score and the Yamamoto score because they remind me of old martial arts movies, but I can't forgive how they butchered the original score when replacing the Yamamoto score by having the songs so wildly miscontexted.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

Szmitten posted:

It was done by a guy named Mark Akin who also did music for the Bardock movie.

Goku's death theme from that movie.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OecQlNDVlu4&t=109s

Gohan's death theme is called Slaughter
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3ojaDKNUMho

Honestly, I liked Akin's more than Faulconer but Akin only had 2 movies to show what he did compared to in the neighborhood of 200 eps for Bruce.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Faulconer sucks, but not because of the music he made. Altogether his stuff is okay; I can live with it. No, his biggest issue was how his music was mixed in an episode. Go watch the death of Perfect Cell again. Vegeta's theme is playing as Gohan launches his last push, and wins the battle. It's fan-loving-tastic stuff. As soon as Cell begins to fall apart though, the music abruptly shifts to some janky, slower paced poo poo that ruins the whole God damned scene.

Faulconer was serviceable, but the way his songs were utilized was not. Not at all.

facebook jihad
Dec 18, 2007

by R. Guyovich
Yeah I will never in my life understand the love for the dub soundtrack in this thread. It always just sounded like half-assed techno music to me. I'm not even a huge fan of the Japanese soundtrack either but it beats space music.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

crankdatbatman posted:

Yeah I will never in my life understand the love for the dub soundtrack in this thread. It always just sounded like half-assed techno music to me. I'm not even a huge fan of the Japanese soundtrack either but it beats space music.

Yeah, at first I thought people were being ironic when they talked about the Faulconer soundtrack.

carry on then
Jul 10, 2010

by VideoGames

To me it seemed more fitting than the trumpets, but I just watched it on Toonami as a kid, I don't have a true appreciation for the work as intended by the artists I guess.

TriffTshngo
Mar 28, 2010

Don't get it twisted who your enemies are.

crankdatbatman posted:

The way it was implemented in the show may not have always been the greatest but the songs themselves are loving awesome, with a lot of his best stuff in the Cell and Buu sagas in particular.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WIXKJco85Pc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lpawr06KCpk
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=woHtuw_xtcc
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qlj3NMKdcbc

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

This was like my favourite BGM out of the whole thing, so rad.

BMB5150
Oct 24, 2010

2018 Indianapolis 500 Winner

WhiffleballDude posted:

The way it was implemented in the show may not have always been the greatest but the songs themselves are loving awesome, with a lot of his best stuff in the Cell and Buu sagas in particular.

One of the earlier episodes they were using that Gohan vs. Frieza theme and started with Gohan beating Frieza and then got clobbered big time, but they kept using it. They didn't have to fill every bit of time with music. Leave some time for some silence like the case for DBZA with Cell. That was so eerie yet so perfect for that scene to have nothing.

StrifeHira
Nov 7, 2012

I'll remind you that I have a very large stick.

This song always gets me. That moment 40 seconds in just goes into a gently caress YEAH mode. Really fits the transformation, makes it FEEL like Super 3 is something even further beyond.

Well Manicured Man
Aug 21, 2010

Well Manicured Mort

Shinjobi posted:

Faulconer sucks, but not because of the music he made. Altogether his stuff is okay; I can live with it. No, his biggest issue was how his music was mixed in an episode. Go watch the death of Perfect Cell again. Vegeta's theme is playing as Gohan launches his last push, and wins the battle. It's fan-loving-tastic stuff. As soon as Cell begins to fall apart though, the music abruptly shifts to some janky, slower paced poo poo that ruins the whole God damned scene.

Faulconer was serviceable, but the way his songs were utilized was not. Not at all.

To be fair, not everything is up to the composer. When Taku Iwasaki was working on the score for Part Two of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure he was so frustrated with how slapdash and haphazardly his tracks were inserted into the episodes that he apparently said he wanted to leave the industry altogether over it.

Then again sometimes it is up to the composer, and the composer just has a shoddy sense of timing or seems to be allergic to silence.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

StrifeHira posted:

This song always gets me. That moment 40 seconds in just goes into a gently caress YEAH mode. Really fits the transformation, makes it FEEL like Super 3 is something even further beyond.

As stupid long as silly as that whole scene is in retrospect it really did hammer down that it was a "forced" transformation.

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
The Faulconer score and the original Japanese music are more or less equal in my eyes. The Japanese stuff is better scored, but in terms of the actual songs, they're both hit and miss.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Well Manicured Man posted:

To be fair, not everything is up to the composer. When Taku Iwasaki was working on the score for Part Two of JoJo's Bizarre Adventure he was so frustrated with how slapdash and haphazardly his tracks were inserted into the episodes that he apparently said he wanted to leave the industry altogether over it.

That is also an example of why that doesn't necessarily matter. Iwasaki is an idiot since the music as used was loving amazing.

Similarly, Faulconer's score was also used pretty drat well in the original dub, and the songs themselves are pretty amazing.

Wheat Loaf
Feb 13, 2012

by FactsAreUseless
I never paid much attention to the incidental music, but I'll tell you this much; I remember being nine years old, and Cartoon Network had all these adverts for DBZ. I didn't know what it was, but looked pretty cool, so I tuned in to watch the first episode, not really sure what to expect, and then...

This happened.

:hellyeah:

I mean, looking back, this is naff as anything, but first time round, it was the coolest thing anyone had ever seen.

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
Rock the dragon is the greatest opening of all time, but the Canadian opening is also fantastic

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xAOCnSKz-x8

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

That is a poor man's substitute for Rock the Dragon

my childhood was better than yours :colbert:

Dred Cosmonaut
Jan 6, 2010

There once was a tiger-striped cat.
How dare you imply Im a filthy european

Blue Star
Feb 18, 2013

by FactsAreUseless
Rock the Dragon was my first exposure to DBZ, too. It's funny to watch it now because now I know where all the clips are from, but back then, I just thought those were from other parts of the series that I hadn't seen yet.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.

Dred Cosmonaut posted:

How dare you imply Im a filthy european

Hey shutup! We got Rock the Dragon until the end of the Frieza Saga and then got the Canadian version for Garlic Junior and Trunks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Lobster
Feb 18, 2013

Blue Star posted:

Rock the Dragon was my first exposure to DBZ, too. It's funny to watch it now because now I know where all the clips are from, but back then, I just thought those were from other parts of the series that I hadn't seen yet.

I thought the exact same thing, too!

I really like the Rock the Dragon opening because it highlights minor characters like Roshi, Tien, and even Yamcha doing some cool stuff as well as giving the viewer a peek at what was to come later in the series.

• Locked thread