Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Broken Cog posted:

Would soul appease work on skeletons? I'm asking because it says it works strictly on hollows, but it affects the rats in Grave of Saints(making the boss very easy).
Tried it on the skeleton cave near the Undead Lockup a few days ago, it doesn't work. Pity, that would have been hilarious against the Skeleton Lords and the Executioner's Chariot. It does work on the dogs in Lost Bastille, which makes a certain DS1 callback a lot easier.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mordiceius
Nov 10, 2007

If you think calling me names is gonna get a rise out me, think again. I like my life as an idiot!
With being a Ratbro, I'm being a total dick too and just spamming corrosive urns at the people getting pulled in. It's a nice extra gently caress you.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Well, my soul memory is high enough to fight Nashandra even though the first Drangleic Bonfire is as far as I've got. Died as a summon when she had like 5% hp left :negative:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Atoramos posted:

Another five in a row, still undefeated other than the time I was alt-tabbed out of the game.

Still pretty sure this is the biggest rear end in a top hat move I could do, probably won't continue this strategy once I finish off ratbros.

Hmm... I still can't tell if this is an rear end in a top hat move or not! Could you continue posting about the same thing over and over for no reason so I can make a proper decision? I think repeating yourself 10 more times with absolutely nothing new to say will do it.

Mordiceius posted:

With being a Ratbro, I'm being a total dick too and just spamming corrosive urns at the people getting pulled in. It's a nice extra gently caress you.

Haha, I've only seen one person do this before, and it was when I was summoned into a ratbro's world. On top of the corrosive urns he also attacked with the rats, used the rats as cover to heal, and everything else you could think of. But in the end it just made killing him all the sweeter.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

turtlecrunch posted:

When I ratbro'd I would get one invasion immediately and then a bunch of nothing for ages. Is there a secret prayer I need to utter to get them to come faster? Would red string or dried fingers help?

You probably get thrown in a queue with all the other ratbros. A round robin system would make sense.

Try invading the other ratbro domain, or try playing at different hours of the day? Dunno.

Broken Cog
Dec 29, 2009

We're all friends here

turtlecrunch posted:

When I ratbro'd I would get one invasion immediately and then a bunch of nothing for ages. Is there a secret prayer I need to utter to get them to come faster? Would red string or dried fingers help?

There seems to be a five minute downtime between invasions. The second the time is over, you'll get another invasion(If there's one available).

I just stood afk in Doors of Pharros and listened for when the axe traps activated.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Okay so it is AFK Souls the Covenant. Sadly it is not for me, but I did like it for the one or two people I got before I was bored.

LifeLynx
Feb 27, 2001

Dang so this is like looking over his shoulder in real-time
Grimey Drawer

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I kind of feel bad for starting as Knight but leveling Faith and Attunement high enough to throw lightning. This poo poo really trivializes some bosses. I beat Iron King first time because he just sat there letting me hit him with ranged stuff.

Is magic really broken in Dark Souls? I never touched it in Dark Souls 1 because all the different spells and catalysts confused me, and the limited uses per spell made me feel like I'd run out in the middle of important areas. But now I'm seeing videos of people owning bosses with like three casts of a spell.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

turtlecrunch posted:

Okay so it is AFK Souls the Covenant. Sadly it is not for me, but I did like it for the one or two people I got before I was bored.

Uh, just don't sit around waiting then? Suck someone in, kill him, then go back to adventuring. Then the very next time you hit a bonfire just warp back in and hook another victim. Or just coop a boss in between victims. The timer isn't very long so just go about your business and warp back once in a while to snag somebody. It will often trigger instantly once you walk beyond the fog door with the ring on.

It's only "AFK Souls" if you obstinately refuse to do anything but sit there between victims for no reason.

a real rude dude
Jan 23, 2005

turtlecrunch posted:

In Pharros if you go to the bonfire and rest between fights and take the ring off and on a few times it seems to shuffle you around and bump you up in the queue, or at the very least wastes some time and acts like a placebo.

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

If there's anything more important than my ego around, I want it caught and shot now.

BJPaskoff posted:

Is magic really broken in Dark Souls? I never touched it in Dark Souls 1 because all the different spells and catalysts confused me, and the limited uses per spell made me feel like I'd run out in the middle of important areas. But now I'm seeing videos of people owning bosses with like three casts of a spell.

It has been discussed at length, but yeah pretty much in DS1 and DS2 magic breaks/trivializes the game.

The beginning tends to be harder when you don't have many spells/casts, but once you get your stats right its pretty easy to just destroy bosses really fast and from range, so safely.

The thing is like all Dark Souls builds, there's some bosses that are easier and some that are harder. And if you're going solo instead of using phantoms to distract while you magic missile from the corner, its a lot harder. Some bosses give mages a ton more trouble than melee, but mostly its the other way around.

There's people who beat Gwyn with like 3 spells in DS1, so yeah, especially by end game if you go full magic it breaks things.

I always reccomend starting as melee. If you want some magic, do a hybrid spellsword. Then you can go full sorcerer when you've beaten the game and are looking for silly things like dual cestus runs to get more replayability out of it.

Plum Chaser
Jul 2, 2011

by Lowtax
A covenant where you could arena/duel dudes but neither sides were allowed to use magic/hexes/pyromancy/etc would be pretty neat. Most of my good pvp poo poo has been when we both just go melee.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
I'm too much of a baby to do it, and there's pretty much no hate mail to be found on the PC version anyway, but I found a really passive-aggressive griefing spot in the Iron Keep.

Normally, the area near the Belfry Sol bonfire is a no-PVP area but standing on this little bit enables you to both invade and be invaded. But since the way TO your area is sealed behind a fog wall, no invader can actually reach you. If you get invaded, just scurry up the ladder to the belfry and the red phantom will never be able to find or reach you. Say bye-bye to that cracked red eye orb. :v:

Edit: Son of a bitch, I just got clowned by a guy I loving COULD NOT HIT EVER. Every time I tried to get near, the bastard rolled away. I even tried spacing out my swings a bit to try to catch him coming out of a roll and I still missed every single goddamn attack. What a poo poo way to start the game for today.

Cyberventurer fucked around with this message at 18:43 on May 16, 2014

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused
So apparently you can cut off the Rotten's arm and it will drop a pharos lockstone. I'm trying to figure out the implication of that. Gonna have plenty of time to think about it while he crushes me over and over because I'm fighting him with low agi at SL 25. Dodging is hard :saddowns:

Thumbtacks
Apr 3, 2013

BJPaskoff posted:

Dark Souls 1 typical sorc invasion.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gXH9163eA2w

Orv
May 4, 2011

Internet Kraken posted:

So apparently you can cut off the Rotten's arm and it will drop a pharos lockstone. I'm trying to figure out the implication of that. Gonna have plenty of time to think about it while he crushes me over and over because I'm fighting him with low agi at SL 25. Dodging is hard :saddowns:

Magic.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Thumbtacks posted:

Dark Souls 1 typical sorc invasion.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=gXH9163eA2w

Dark Souls Magic: All of this has happened before and all of this will happen again (because From balance).

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich

Orv posted:

Magic.

The Rotten is Pharros!

Zaphod42
Sep 13, 2012

Babyface Mingo posted:

A covenant where you could arena/duel dudes but neither sides were allowed to use magic/hexes/pyromancy/etc would be pretty neat. Most of my good pvp poo poo has been when we both just go melee.

Both a physical only guild and a magic only guild would be amazing.

Make it so they have a ring they have to put on for pvp, and wearing that ring either removes all your attunement slots (for melee guild) or reduces your strength and dexterity damage bonuses to 0 (for mage guild).

Why not From?

Orv
May 4, 2011

poptart_fairy posted:

The Rotten is Pharros!

That's what I said!

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Argh loving targetting. Cleared all the way to freja and then summoned someone and died immediately to the spiders because I didn't untarget properly.

BobTheJanitor
Jun 28, 2003

Jose posted:

Argh loving targetting. Cleared all the way to freja and then summoned someone and died immediately to the spiders because I didn't untarget properly.

Playing M+KB will teach you to hate targeting. (Yes, I know all the reasons everyone wants to tell me not to play M+KB, can we just assume you all said them, and I ignored them, and go on?) The retargeting for flicking a stick towards a nearby enemy is impossible to turn off, and the game thinks that a mouse movement in a given direction means that you want to retarget something. Fighting a lot of enemies is an exercise in frustration unless you keep your mouse hand perfectly still while clicking your attack buttons. I've had so many attacks whiff because my character decides to turn around and face something else at the last instant. Or just target something below me and jump off a cliff. :suicide:

Kaldaris
Aug 10, 2008

Yeah! Yeah! Yeah!
Awesome possum!

BobTheJanitor posted:

Playing M+KB will teach you to hate targeting. (Yes, I know all the reasons everyone wants to tell me not to play M+KB, can we just assume you all said them, and I ignored them, and go on?) The retargeting for flicking a stick towards a nearby enemy is impossible to turn off, and the game thinks that a mouse movement in a given direction means that you want to retarget something. Fighting a lot of enemies is an exercise in frustration unless you keep your mouse hand perfectly still while clicking your attack buttons. I've had so many attacks whiff because my character decides to turn around and face something else at the last instant. Or just target something below me and jump off a cliff. :suicide:

I use MKB and rarely have this happen to me. It's pretty sticky in my experience, so unless you suffer from severe Parkison's, there's no really any reason to be jittering the mouse around mid-attack, unless you're changing your swing direction with a greatsword.

Atoramos
Aug 31, 2003

Jim's now a Blind Cave Salamander!

Chomp8645 posted:

Hmm... I still can't tell if this is an rear end in a top hat move or not! Could you continue posting about the same thing over and over for no reason so I can make a proper decision? I think repeating yourself 10 more times with absolutely nothing new to say will do it.

I dunno, something that lets me do all 30 kills in a row without taking a hit might be interesting enough to post a few times, as I watch spirits come to the slaughter. Perhaps discussion is warranted on if this should even be possible, or if this strategy works on other covenants (like the dragon summons). But I'm not the first person you've been a dick to in this thread, so I suppose I won't take it personally.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Atoramos posted:

I dunno, something that lets me do all 30 kills in a row without taking a hit might be interesting enough to post a few times, as I watch spirits come to the slaughter. Perhaps discussion is warranted on if this should even be possible, or if this strategy works on other covenants (like the dragon summons). But I'm not the first person you've been a dick to in this thread, so I suppose I won't take it personally.

Great, start discussions about those topics then. As it stands all you did was post the exact same thing four times. We got the message.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Is there a limit to using simpleton's spice or a good place to farm it? Having a look soul geyser and crystal soul spear both need over 50 int

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

poptart_fairy posted:

The Rotten is Pharros!

I'm sure Pharros is in there somewhere.

Orv
May 4, 2011

Jose posted:

Is there a limit to using simpleton's spice or a good place to farm it? Having a look soul geyser and crystal soul spear both need over 50 int

Both Spices can be farmed off the mages in Brightstone and the female casters in the Crypt. Not great rates mind you. Alternatively for 3 Simpleton's you can ascetic Belfry Sol which simply requires you to clear it, while 3 Skeptic's come from Belfry Luna, but require you to clear each subsequent Gargoyles fight.

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Jose posted:

The use of spice is unlimited, but keep in mind that spells like those do scale on your int, so if you drop a poo poo load of spice on them they'll be weaker versions if you only get minimum INT.

As for where they might drop, use the wiki for stuff like that. It's your friend.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Jose posted:

As far as I know, the only limit to the spices is that you can't bring them lower than 10 int or faith. As long as you can actually get enough of either, you can spice anything down to that.

Edit: I'm about ready to give up on PVP. I can't do anything right.

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
e:nm

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Jose posted:

Spices bottom out at 10 fai/int requirement for a given spell. The best place to farm simpleton's is 3 per run by dropping an Aescetic in the Belfry Sol fire.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Cyberventurer posted:

Edit: I'm about ready to give up on PVP. I can't do anything right.

What sort of PvP are you trying to do, and with what sort of setup?

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

ninotoreS posted:

Dark infused Transgressor's Shield at 0.3 weight is better.

It perplexes me why I don't see more people using this shield in PvP. Fully upgraded it has close to 55 stability, and it even has the buckler/target-shield's increased parry-frame animation.

I use it dark infused and max upgraded. It's great. Also hint: if you're fighting a hexer and he doesn't guard break your anti-dark shield before casting, you're fighting a newb. Some of you guys being so proud at knowing how to press button to raise shield are lol.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005

Paracelsus posted:

What sort of PvP are you trying to do, and with what sort of setup?

My problem is that I almost never seem to land any attacks. Melee, spells, whatever. 99% of my stuff is just dodged no matter how I try to time stuff, and it seems like whenever I try to do the dodging, I'm struck almost all the time. Most of the time I'm still in range, sure, sometimes I'm not. It's frustrating. Only time I seem to land any hits is when it's a 2v1 and the other person is distracted and can't see me. Even then, I still lose half the time because if the host focuses on me, I just fall apart.

Took out some frustration on another guy after he died by spamming Acid Surge. I heard something snap well after he died, so I guess players are still vulnerable to it even after their body is gone. :v:

Dr Snofeld
Apr 30, 2009

Cyberventurer posted:

I heard something snap well after he died, so I guess players are still vulnerable to it even after their body is gone. :v:

That would have been their ring of soul protection breaking, most likely.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
Well thanks for ruining it for me, jerk. :mad:

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

ComaPrison posted:

I use it dark infused and max upgraded. It's great. Also hint: if you're fighting a hexer and he doesn't guard break your anti-dark shield before casting, you're fighting a newb. Some of you guys being so proud at knowing how to press button to raise shield are lol.

Well to be fair this works on a lot of people. PvP advice for regular people and PvP advice for those who know what the gently caress they are doing is very different. I'm continually astonished at how poo poo the average player is at PvP. I don't use a shield in PvP so I don't have first hand experience, but I have no trouble believing that simply using a dark infused shield will best most hexers. Maybe not a hexer who actually has some skill, but most hexers. The majority of players are one trick ponies and if you hard counter their favorite move they become utterly helpless (and usually continue to try it anyway until dead).

Cyberventurer posted:

Well thanks for ruining it for me, jerk. :mad:

I hate to tell you this, but Merciless Roenna was an NPC!!!!

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

If you don't like the invasion cooldown timers, try logging out and logging back in again

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mazed
Oct 23, 2010

:blizz:

Well, it finally happened.

I caught the Emerald Herald being cute.