Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

koreban posted:

Deathwing ain't all it's cracked up to be.

With cheaper Terminators (comparatively) and Sternguard and the possibility of some formation-based bonuses, I think it could be potentially good.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Naramyth
Jan 22, 2009

Australia cares about cunts. Including this one.

Phyresis posted:

Did you know that there are people that still think draigowing is some kind of cheeseball waac list? This perception lasted throughout ALL of 6th edition. Let that sink in. the legacy of draigo lives on~

It wasn't good in 5th either. Scrubs will be scrubs.

Fuegan
Aug 23, 2008

Watching a friend of mine effectively table a Draigowing list at a tournament by clearing the board with Fear of the Dark was hilarious.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

Phyresis posted:

RIP Necrons, Orks, Dark Eldar, Tyranids, Tau

They aren't screwed at all--now they can ally in the best psykers from other armies! :v:

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I'm actually super excitet for the new objective cards. They look really awesome and kind of promote more balanced armies. Also the idea that you continually score victory points through out the game and not just at the end makes the first turns more goal oriented.

I just like it.

Infinite Karma
Oct 23, 2004
Good as dead

Phyresis posted:

Did you know that there are people that still think draigowing is some kind of cheeseball waac list? This perception lasted throughout ALL of 6th edition. Let that sink in. the legacy of draigo lives on~
How did WAAC actually become a term people use in this thread? Sure, some lists aren't fun to play against, but is there some stupid gentleman's agreement that you aren't supposed to try and win when you're writing down your army list, and you shouldn't take advantage of good opportunities on the tabletop? Is the only honorable way to win to do it on accident?

If there is Seerstar, Screamerstar, Flying Circus, Superfriends, Taudar, Azblob, Riptide spam, Heldrake spam, Knight spam, and all of these other unbeatable lists, it sounds to me like you should pack up your models and give your opponent the finger against 3/4 of the lists out there. It's even worse when someone thinks a lovely list like Draigowing is too hard. What's the secret to making a list bad enough to not get thrown out of the club?

Fix
Jul 26, 2005

NEWT THE MOON

Hooray for moving and shooting down fliers with Vindicares!

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang

Infinite Karma posted:

How did WAAC actually become a term people use in this thread? Sure, some lists aren't fun to play against, but is there some stupid gentleman's agreement that you aren't supposed to try and win when you're writing down your army list, and you shouldn't take advantage of good opportunities on the tabletop? Is the only honorable way to win to do it on accident?

If there is Seerstar, Screamerstar, Flying Circus, Superfriends, Taudar, Azblob, Riptide spam, Heldrake spam, Knight spam, and all of these other unbeatable lists, it sounds to me like you should pack up your models and give your opponent the finger against 3/4 of the lists out there. It's even worse when someone thinks a lovely list like Draigowing is too hard. What's the secret to making a list bad enough to not get thrown out of the club?

There's a difference between competition and being a twat. The all costs part of WAAC includes fun for your opponent. Given that it is a game, fun for all involved is rather fundamental.

Exinos
Mar 1, 2009

OSHA approved squiq

TheChirurgeon posted:

They aren't screwed at all--now they can ally in the best psykers from other armies! :v:

Calgar and Tigurius have resolved that little misunderstanding on Ultramar to join forces against the Blood Angels and Necron allies.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Fix posted:

Hooray for moving and shooting down fliers with Vindicares!

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Infinite Karma posted:

WAAC is a dumb term, and the correct way to do it is to bring a list you think is hard enough, see how it does, and then revise it down if it poo poo stomps everyone out. Or up if you get poo poo stomped. Also, don't be a loving grog, because most everyone is fine with playing a hard list if you are a cool dude, because the experience is about banter and fun and not some chump telling you about his favorite pony while you remove models by the handful.

(As for revising down, that doesn't mean cutting the legs off your list. If you think you can with with a Sunshark instead of a Riptide, do that. Think of it as a challenge, and you can bust out the big dude if/when people slowly get up to a harder level.)

tl;dr - figure out what your club plays, be better than it by a few steps, don't be a loving goon

koreban
Apr 4, 2008

I guess we all learned that trying to get along is way better than p. . .player hatin'.
Fun Shoe

SRM posted:

With cheaper Terminators (comparatively) and Sternguard and the possibility of some formation-based bonuses, I think it could be potentially good.

In that case what you're hoping for isn't the 7th edition drop, it's a new DA/SM codex drop that includes updated unit point costs and formations.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Infinite Karma posted:

WAAC is a dumb term that people use when they really mean "Win while being a jerk or at the expense of either party having fun". It's not "all costs", its one specific cost people are upset about.

And then within that group, there's a large portion that don't understand the difference between "stuff that beats me" and "stuff that makes the game unfun".

It does really sound like some 40k groups are at the point where anything that isn't outright terrible on purpose is considered WAAC.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

:hist101:

JoshTheStampede posted:

And then within that group, there's a large portion that don't understand the difference between "stuff that beats me" and "stuff that makes the game unfun".

When their whole (sad, lonely, miserable) identity is wrapped up in your space barbies, anything that pops the bubble of that power fantasy becomes a personal affront that challenges their fragile sense of self worth. The game is only fun for them when they're winning, because otherwise it's a mirror of their own futile attempts at meaningful existence. Only this time it's an atomic wedgie at the hands of unbeatable genetically altered ubermenschen.

loving pansy-rear end nerds.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
This thread needs no rules all the time so I can tell bad posters to shut the gently caress up when they start complaining about some nonexistent power gamer poo poo

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Tadhg posted:

When their whole (sad, lonely, miserable) identity is wrapped up in your space barbies, anything that pops the bubble of that power fantasy becomes a personal affront that challenges their fragile sense of self worth. The game is only fun for them when they're winning, because otherwise it's a mirror of their own futile attempts at meaningful existence. Only this time it's an atomic wedgie at the hands of unbeatable genetically altered ubermenschen.
Actually, I feel that they typically picked the unbeatable genetically altered ubermenschen, and then they are given a swirlie by the 40k equivalent of the Anime or Drama Club.

"My back story is that all my friends and family are dead, and I have spent an eternity perfecting the methods to avenge them. This technique is known as 'Falling Rose Leaves Cut Ice.' It means you remove your tank and then my Wraithknight gives me Linebreaker."
or
"THIS HAND OF MINE IS GLOWING RED. ITS LOUD ROAR TELLS ME TO OVERCHARGE AND KILL 9 MARINES."

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010
Saying that WAAC is dumb because it doesn't explicitly exclude things such as, "Murder your opponent" from, "at all costs" is pretty ... :staredog:

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

JoshTheStampede posted:

WAAC is a dumb term that people use when they really mean "Win while being a jerk or at the expense of either party having fun". It's not "all costs", its one specific cost people are upset about.

It does really sound like some 40k groups are at the point where anything that isn't outright terrible on purpose is considered WAAC.

"You beat me? You must be playing internet list WAAC and you are literally the worst human being. I beat you? My superior dice rolling skill and strategic genius were the only factors involved."

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 19:33 on May 16, 2014

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Falling Rose Leaves Cut Ice is gonna be the name of the Eldar list I bring out this weekend.

Phyresis
Nov 2, 2004

I can't sleep, I hope I stay awake

Cause I've been running, running, running all day

Long nights, no peace

I feel like everybody's eyes on me
Mines called WAAC Attack

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

PeterWeller posted:

Falling Rose Leaves Cut Ice is gonna be the name of the Eldar list I bring out this weekend.
I was inspired by that Wraithknight someone has posted here with roses on it. (No offense, Wraithknight owner. I am sure you are not drama club material, and your paint job is rad as hell.)

Also, word is that all armies can ally with themselves as Battle Bros, AND Battle Bros can share transports. Buff to 'nids, and pretty cool overall.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Von Humboldt posted:

I was inspired by that Wraithknight someone has posted here with roses on it.

I always give my Eldar lists pompous "poetic" names. I name all my DE lists "Grief Fleet: [literary villain], and all my CSM lists "Task Force: [some kind of violence]". A good list should have a good name that makes you chuckle.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

PeterWeller posted:

I always give my Eldar lists pompous "poetic" names. I name all my DE lists "Grief Fleet: [literary villain], and all my CSM lists "Task Force: [some kind of violence]". A good list should have a good name that makes you chuckle.

I think Task Force: Vehicular Manslaughter would be a great themed Chaos army. Or Task Force: Murder. Their warlord uses The Murder Sword, which has the special rule: Murder. The Chaos warband is made up of former Raven Guard Marines turned traitor.

Also pre-orders are up for everything. The Munitorum edition looks so silly, but the coins are neat I guess. I'm happy it doesn't come with anything I actually want, because $340 is loving silly amounts of money for rules. I can buy an army for that.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US...equestid=174550

Pacheeco
Feb 26, 2004

Von Humboldt posted:

I was inspired by that Wraithknight someone has posted here with roses on it. (No offense, Wraithknight owner. I am sure you are not drama club material, and your paint job is rad as hell.)

Also, word is that all armies can ally with themselves as Battle Bros, AND Battle Bros can share transports. Buff to 'nids, and pretty cool overall.

If Battle Bros can share transports I feel like people would say that it "breaks" the game more when somebody finds some crazy new ally combo but all I see are assault transport options for Eldar and Chaos Daemons and SoB and putting a bunch of Ogyrn in a Land Raider Crusader which makes my day.

Pacheeco fucked around with this message at 20:02 on May 16, 2014

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Post 9-11 User posted:

Saying that WAAC is dumb because it doesn't explicitly exclude things such as, "Murder your opponent" from, "at all costs" is pretty ... :staredog:

I don't really think anyone said that. It's more that WAAC is a dumb term when the AAC part just means "being a jerk".

Boon
Jun 21, 2005

by R. Guyovich

Von Humboldt posted:

I enjoy the game so I don't think so :shobon:

Totally stealing that name though.

TheChirurgeon
Aug 7, 2002

Remember how good you are
Taco Defender

SRM posted:

I think Task Force: Vehicular Manslaughter would be a great themed Chaos army. Or Task Force: Murder. Their warlord uses The Murder Sword, which has the special rule: Murder. The Chaos warband is made up of former Raven Guard Marines turned traitor.

Also pre-orders are up for everything. The Munitorum edition looks so silly, but the coins are neat I guess. I'm happy it doesn't come with anything I actually want, because $340 is loving silly amounts of money for rules. I can buy an army for that.

http://www.games-workshop.com/en-US...equestid=174550

I really need to see what objectives are going to be on the cards before I shell out $8 for that, but 36 different objectives to choose from should, in theory, provide a lot of variety if less than half are "hold objective marker X"

E: One of the weirdest things about the Munitorum edition is that it appears to have differently-backed strategic objective cards included. In the off-chance that GW makes additional cards down the line, doesn't this mean that someone with this edition will be kind of hosed?

TheChirurgeon fucked around with this message at 20:16 on May 16, 2014

Von Humboldt
Jan 13, 2009

Pacheeco posted:

If Battle Bros can share transports I feel like people would say that it "breaks" the game more when somebody finds some crazy new ally combo but all I see are assault transport options for Eldar and Chaos Daemons and SoB and putting a bunch of Ogyrn in a Land Raider Crusader which makes my day.
Well, I'm still thinking that they well rework Battle Brothers, judging from the one WD blurb awhile back. It makes a ton of units instantly better (Banshees, Wraithdudes with Axes)and I am pumped for Ogyrn in Land Raiders as well. The meanest thing I can think of off the top of my head is shoving AM Priests into Space Marine assault units. Rerolling to wound, or rerolling armor saves? Fearless? Sure, why not! You shove one of those Priests in with some Terminators, pile out, and just crush dudes in CC.

Of course, that means taking a big CC unit in an expensive transport, but it's still a cool idea!

In regards to names, I think coming up with goofy poo poo for your units is part of the fun of list building. My buddy's Knight? Whatever goofy Latin he feels like. Another friend's Inquisitors are named after him and his roomie. My Heldrake? GORECOMET, OF SIEGE GROUP CARNAGE. Just a few extra moments of effort, and it brings a lot of enjoyment.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

I have not been paying the slightest attention to 40k for ages, but it came to my attention that the story around the new thing involves Eldar? Does that mean there will be anything new model-wise for space elves? I don't really care about the new edition because I never play anymore, I'm just interested in the possibility of new pretty models.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Ashcans posted:

I have not been paying the slightest attention to 40k for ages, but it came to my attention that the story around the new thing involves Eldar? Does that mean there will be anything new model-wise for space elves? I don't really care about the new edition because I never play anymore, I'm just interested in the possibility of new pretty models.
What new thing are you talking about? A starter box or something? It's still Dark Vengeance.

Post 9-11 User
Apr 14, 2010

PeterWeller posted:

Chaos Marine Task Force: Killfuck.

Lamenters Task Force: :smith:

JoshTheStampede posted:

I don't really think anyone said that. It's more that WAAC is a dumb term when the AAC part just means "being a jerk".

I :glomp: you but

JoshTheStampede posted:

was pretty pedantic. Like, it's not "at all costs" until I poison my opponent's mother with polonium three days before the match so he is forced to forfeit, or I threaten to commit suicide in the event of a loss, steal important minis when he isn't looking, and so forth.

Post 9-11 User fucked around with this message at 20:26 on May 16, 2014

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

SRM posted:

What new thing are you talking about? A starter box or something? It's still Dark Vengeance.

I was chatting to a friend and they mentioned there was an Eldar story coming out with the new edition, but having actually looked at it, I think they were just talking about the Valedor stuff that is also pre-release but not really related? :downs:

I guess I'll return to my slumber, waiting for the resculpt of Warp Spiders and Jetbikes.

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Linking to 40k stuff on GW's site reminded me: I ordered over $100 of poo poo when I got my Wood Elves, and so they threw in that limited space marine captain that's covered in skulls. Also included was a sealed envelope with a postcard inside linking to this THIRTY DOLLAR motherfucker.

Yeah, I'm not buying that. I mean, the free captain is ok, it's a safe bet that the majority of their customer base owns a nonzero amount of space marines. But who in their right mind is going to drop $30 on a second captain model?

Tadhg
Aug 5, 2007

AUT MORS
AUT GLORIA

Post 9-11 User posted:

Like, it's not "at all costs" until I poison my opponent's mother with polonium three days before the match so he is forced to forfeit, or I threaten to commit suicide in the event of a loss, steal important minis when he isn't looking, and so forth.

"I play according to the principles laid out by Sun Tzu, and by the Book of Five Rings. If you consider it closely, and apply it to Warhammer, then..."
:goonsay:

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Still available.

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

Tadhg posted:

Linking to 40k stuff on GW's site reminded me: I ordered over $100 of poo poo when I got my Wood Elves, and so they threw in that limited space marine captain that's covered in skulls. Also included was a sealed envelope with a postcard inside linking to this THIRTY DOLLAR motherfucker.

Yeah, I'm not buying that. I mean, the free captain is ok, it's a safe bet that the majority of their customer base owns a nonzero amount of space marines. But who in their right mind is going to drop $30 on a second captain model?

Yeah, I was pretty okay to drop $100 on stuff and get a free captain that's a throwback to this cool motherfucker:

The $30 one is a neat model, but I'd pay half that, tops for him. Half that is too much for a single model still, but it'd at least be more reasonable. If the plastic Marine characters that came out recently were $15 instead of $30 I'd probably have gotten them just to paint by now.

ijyt
Apr 10, 2012

Just let me buy that A5 rulebook in the £200 set by itself. I'll give you money, GW, I will. Just.. :negative:

FrickenMoron
May 6, 2009

Good game!
Wow, theres a new edition already? I really loving hated 6th ed and it make me quit hams. Any chances this will be good again? Really liked 5th ed.

JoshTheStampede
Sep 8, 2004

come at me bro

Post 9-11 User posted:

Chaos Marine Task Force: Killfuck.

Lamenters Task Force: :smith:

I :glomp: you but

was pretty pedantic. Like, it's not "at all costs" until I poison my opponent's mother with polonium three days before the match so he is forced to forfeit, or I threaten to commit suicide in the event of a loss, steal important minis when he isn't looking, and so forth.

Well that was sort of my point though. The term WAAC implies that there's something shady going on, or that the player in question would stop at nothing to get a win, etc. And that is dumb. It's just a new label for the same old "what I use is tactics, what you use is cheese" bullshit that gamers have been saying forever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SRM
Jul 10, 2009

~*FeElIn' AweS0mE*~

FrickenMoron posted:

Wow, theres a new edition already? I really loving hated 6th ed and it make me quit hams. Any chances this will be good again? Really liked 5th ed.

What didn't you like about 6th so much that it made you quit 40k altogether? 7th looks like it's shaking a lot of stuff up.

• Locked thread