Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Angry Grimace posted:

Is there reason you expect me to read an entire article to figure out what you're talking about instead of just saying it?

Well I'm certainly saying that Vintage Masters is a limited set for at least one definition of limited.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
BREAKING CONSPIRACY SPOILERS

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Zorak posted:

Green OP. No point in drafting anything else now guys.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Zoness posted:

Well I'm certainly saying that Vintage Masters is a limited set for at least one definition of limited.

So basically semantics. Again.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Zoness posted:

Counterpoint:

I don't see how you could present evidence that points farther than that for "how it's always been done". It's actually a factual statement.

I actually wasn't arguing with you, you awful pedant. I agreed that U has always been the symbol for blue mana, I was just trying to help you figure out how to bring up someone making a mistake that still leaves you with some friends at the playground at the end of the day. If you want to talk to everyone like they are retarded that's on you but I wouldn't expect any reaction but the one I had unless they are also a crappy, judgemental, elitist douchebag.

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

PleasantDirge posted:

I actually wasn't arguing with you, you awful pedant. I agreed that U has always been the symbol for blue mana, I was just trying to help you figure out how to bring up someone making a mistake that still leaves you with some friends at the playground at the end of the day. If you want to talk to everyone like they are retarded that's on you but I wouldn't expect any reaction but the one I had unless they are also a crappy, judgemental, elitist douchebag.

I'm sorry you choose to interpret fact as digging into your internet ego and that you feel like it's important to make a derail with regards to that.

Angry Grimace posted:

So basically semantics. Again.

Precedent with any product being released on MTGO implies that the sales window for said product will be limited in timespan, yes.

Whether that timespan is like, a month, a few months, or 2 years is another matter, of course.

I would expect it to occupy a similar timeframe to the Modern Masters sales window on MTGO.

Zoness fucked around with this message at 20:25 on May 16, 2014

FordCQC
Dec 23, 2007

THAT'S MAMA OYRX TO YOU GUARDIAN
It was stumbled onto while looking through SpaceBattles for stuff to post in the Weird Fanart thread.
*Pat voice* Perfect
Holy poo poo Randy Buehler just made a Wire reference on stream.

Holy poo poo Pleasant Dirge is an insufferable dipshit.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

PleasantDirge posted:

I wouldn't expect any reaction but the one I had unless they are also a crappy, judgemental, elitist douchebag.
Hi, welcome to the Something Awful forums. Enjoy your stay!

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Zoness posted:

I'm sorry you choose to interpret fact as digging into your internet ego and that you feel like it's important to make a derail with regards to that.

Precedent with any product being released on MTGO implies that the sales window for said product will be limited in timespan, yes.

Whether that timespan is like, a month, a few months, or 2 years is another matter, of course.

I would expect it to occupy a similar timeframe as the Modern Masters sales window on MTGO.

I honestly tend to doubt that its going to be only 2 weeks (which is how long MM boosters were up, as I recall). The cards in Modern all existed on MTGO already after full Standard seasons. A large number of the cards in Vintage Masters don't actually exist at all on MTGO.

PleasantDirge
Sep 7, 2009
ASK ME ABOUT HOW NOT BEING A FUCKING ASSHOLE ON THE ROAD IS JUST LIKE BEING A JEW AT A NAZI GATHERING BECAUSE I CAN NOT UNDERSTAND HOW TO NOT BE A FUCKING ASSHOLE AND WHEN PEOPLE TREAT ME LIKE I'M A FUCKING ASSHOLE THAT IS JUST LIKE GENOCIDE

Zoness posted:

Also it's spelled judgmental. Okay, now I'm being petty for the sake of being petty and my own amusement.

I would expect it to occupy a similar timeframe as the Modern Masters sales window on MTGO.

My ego has nothing to do with it, I don't know how much more self depreciating humor I can use to show you I don't care about looking like a goober on SA. The problem is that you come across as an aggressive, over explainy prick who values being right over being someone people would want to talk to.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

PleasantDirge posted:

I'm sure taking advice on how to keep friends from you is a great idea.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

PleasantDirge posted:

My ego has nothing to do with it, I don't know how much more self depreciating humor I can use to show you I don't care about looking like a goober on SA. The problem is that you come across as an aggressive, over explainy prick who values being right over being someone people would want to talk to.

Stop posting forever, no one cares

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

PleasantDirge posted:

Are you a literal autist?

Angry Grimace posted:

I honestly tend to doubt that its going to be only 2 weeks (which is how long MM boosters were up, as I recall). The cards in Modern all existed on MTGO already after full Standard seasons. A large number of the cards in Vintage Masters don't actually exist at all on MTGO.

I'd be surprised if they didn't keep Vintage Masters online for at least a month, considering the amount of publicity and the new artwork and all, but then again they could probably do it to limit the amount of power out there saying some bullshit about 'the spirit' of the P9 or whatever.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!

Zorak posted:

poo poo, now I'm gonna need a set of these. To use as tokens for a future squirrel EDH deck.

So I'm gonna need like 60+ of these.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Zorak posted:

This can only mean one thing: Deranged Hermit.

Please, let it mean Deranged Hermit.

Starving Autist fucked around with this message at 20:37 on May 16, 2014

Attorney at Funk
Jun 3, 2008

...the person who says honestly that he despairs is closer to being cured than all those who are not regarded as despairing by themselves or others.

Ableist Kinkshamer posted:

Not quite.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
e: Whoops, beaten on the nest

Also, we know where Conspiracy is taking place btw: It's Fiora, the birthplane of Dork Manglow, Greatest Culinary Chef in the Multiverse.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Reserve listed.

We get Thelonite Hermit instead.

Also Force of Will and Mana Drain :getin:

Fuzzy Mammal
Aug 15, 2001

Lipstick Apathy

tetsman posted:

Are you a literal autist?

I'd be surprised if they didn't keep Vintage Masters online for at least a month, considering the amount of publicity and the new artwork and all, but then again they could probably do it to limit the amount of power out there saying some bullshit about 'the spirit' of the P9 or whatever.

Oh they're doing plenty to limit it. Not counting foils cuz who knows how rare they'll be, there is on piece per 53 packs. So every twenty drafts that fire add one 'playset' of power (assuming over large enough sample size the count of each piece is roughly equal).

How many people will want a full set? 3000? 20k? How many packs do you think will actually will be busted?

I'm going to be grabbing duals and ports and fows and poo poo this, for sure.

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Tharizdun posted:

Thelonite hermit makes saprolings.

Lets Pickle
Jul 9, 2007

holy poo poo that flavor text is so good.

advanced statsman
Dec 26, 2012

ISLAM FC

Fuzzy Mammal posted:

Oh they're doing plenty to limit it. Not counting foils cuz who knows how rare they'll be, there is on piece per 53 packs. So every twenty drafts that fire add one 'playset' of power (assuming over large enough sample size the count of each piece is roughly equal).

How many people will want a full set? 3000? 20k? How many packs do you think will actually will be busted?

I'm going to be grabbing duals and ports and fows and poo poo this, for sure.

Yeah, me too. I enjoyed drafting the masters editions and managed to get some foil duals, so I will try and pick up some legacy staples from here as well. Now I don't know how active the Vintage community will become online, but at least Legacy will become a lot more popular.

Starving Autist
Oct 20, 2007

by Ralp

Tharizdun posted:

Reserve listed.

Also Force of Will and Mana Drain :getin:

drat... well, maybe it's in Vintage Masters. A man can dream!

They said that the reanimation strategies will revolve around creatures with good enters the battlefield effects, and if Deranged Hermit isn't a perfect example, I don't know what is. There really weren't as many good ETB effects pre-Modern and that is one of the better ones for sure.

Mercury Crusader
Apr 20, 2005

You know they say that all demons are created equal, but you look at me and you look at Pyro Jack and you can see that statement is not true, hee-ho!
I kinda wish they kept the art and flavor text combo of the original Squirrel Nest.

OssiansFolly
Aug 3, 2012

Suffering at the factory of sadness every year.

Occupy WoTC until this is Standard Legal! Murdersquirrel needs to happen! :colbert:

Applebees
Jul 23, 2013

yospos

Gynovore posted:

Just so this isn't 100% off topic; is Force of Will really in Masters Vintage as a rare? (not Mythic?) This will be an interesting dichotomy, a cards that's worth over a hundred on paper going for about 10 tix online.

Vintage Masters has twice as many rares as a normal large set. The chance of getting a rare Force of Will in a Vintage Masters booster is the same as getting a mythic Tarmogoyf in Modern Masters.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Mercury Crusader posted:

I kinda wish they kept the art and flavor text combo of the original Squirrel Nest.

Conspiracy doesn't take place on Dominaria, so a reference to Krosa wouldn't really work!

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

Zorak posted:

Conspiracy doesn't take place on Dominaria, so a reference to Krosa wouldn't really work!

What if the plot twist is that it was on Dominaria all along?

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

You maniacs! You unblew it all up!

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Let's Read Journey Into Nyx: Chapter 3

YOU ARE THE DIVINE PROTECTOR IN HELIOD’S ABSENCE. YOU ALONE CAN WIELD HIS WEAPON. YOU ARE DESTINED TO BE THE HERO OF THEROS.

(Daniel Ljunggren, Godsend, JOU)

Uh, thanks, Daxos? This is a note he's slipped under Elspeth's note in the middle of the night before vanishing. Pretty weird.

Since Polukranos' death, Daxos and Elspeth have been working together and Daxos has been sort of teaching her about Heliod. She's pretty interested in lots of aspects of his worship, approves of stuff like the expected charity, and so on. Except that Daxos won't discuss anything about Heliod or his prophecies, just recite it. He dodges questions about the Silence and about his relationship with Heliod. Eventually, 'yesterday', they argued. She wants him to pretend he's a real human being with opinions and maybe also talk about this Champion poo poo she's been volunteered into and knows next to nothing about.

(Eric Deschamps, Elspeth, Champion of the Sun, THS)

Daxos isn't totally coherent on the page, but the source of his anger - and he's furious - seems to be problems of free will and destiny. He's angry that Elspeth chose to help Meletis rather than doing it simply as Heliod's Champion. He's angry that she still calls Godsend her sword, not the god's. And it seems to me that he's feels angry about this in a tiny part because he's Heliod's oracle, but mostly because his free will has been given over to Heliod for so long. He might be resentful that Elspeth didn't just set to something as her duty, but he probably also hates that she got volunteered for that duty in the first place, and maybe that she deludes herself into thinking she really has much of a choice in anything anymore. Yet, with the Silence, Elspeth in fact can dodge this leeching of free will he endured, while he's losing his poo poo without the overlooking presence, despite the fact that he kind of resented it while it was there. And then he knows/suspects that the Silence isn't permanent, and that soon the death prophesied for him by Medomai will come, 'At the feet of the untouched city. By the hand of someone I love.' So falling in love with Elspeth (I assume) is also playing into all this poo poo.

He's properly messed up. It could have been conveyed better, but it could also have been worse. Characters this confused are very hard to write, and Helland at least had a shot and kept it together enough that I can guess at the source of his problems while he denies/is ignorant of them.

(James Ryman, Travelling Philosopher, THS)

Elspeth overhears a conversation between some priests. Daxos has been dodging his duties ever since the Silence, hasn't once gone into the temple, and they're trying to decide if it's because of her or because of Heliod's absence. The prose gets really clumsy at a couple of points, seriously violating 'show, don't tell'. And one of the priests is called Hew, which is not even close to being a pseudo-Greek name.

(Karla Ortiz, Daxos of Meletis, THS)

Daxos appears again, now talking to her telepathically. They kind of make up, he apologises for suspecting her worship of Heliod was insincere, and then asks her to join him. He's going on a journey all the way back to the prologue of Book 1 the Despair Lands, where Erebos and Athreos tried to possess him and his mum died. Heliod forbade him to do this before but he's not here, so screw him.

They set off into the Nessian Forest. Daxos gratuitously takes his shirt off, and Elspeth (who should be more appreciative of that body) just asks about his tattoos. He says they're heretical, much to her surprise, since he was the one who wouldn't debate theology before. He worships Heliod but doesn't believe his teachings are 'written in stone'. Which is a hell of a weird thing to say when a god's beaming them direct into your mind and there aren't any questions of interpretation, but whatever. He reveals that the Silence is the happiest he's ever been in his life, and they have a bit of a playfight, splashing each other with water and wrestling. Elspeth loses because her weapon training was mostly on Bant, where I guess unarmed combat was thought dishonourable. (How the hell she survived Urborg's gladiator pits like that, I have no idea. Helland even wrote that plotline herself, comments about Elspeth losing her honourable fighting style in it and all). Elspeth gently hints to him that she's from another plane.

(Dave Dorman, Gathering Forces Part 1, page 1)

When they reach the Despair Lands, they see that the Nessian Forest is being eaten away by decay. Daxos explains that without Nylea's protection, the Forest is succumbing to Erebos' influence. Basically, he's an Dementor from Harry Potter: his breath, voice, and presence induce despair to the point of making you relive the worst moment of your life. And he can transfer this property to his monster and minions. (I hope it will be explained why Erebos' influence is the same/stronger in this place despite the Silence diminishing Nylea's).

(Lucas Graciano, Returned Centaur, THS)

They find a Returned centaur pacing up and down eternally, and Daxos tells Elspeth a little about the Returned on Theros. Elspeth thinks about how odd it is for the dead to rise themselves - on other planes, it's always necromancers messing with bodies, not the dead themselves. But Daxos mentions that it's only the bodies rising, with barely a scrap of a pattern in their minds which they will repeat eternally. Their souls are separate: Eidolons (this should be Eidola) - wandering spirits that seek out divine magic. Which of the two parts of his mother Daxos expects to find here, I don't know.

They go down into the Despair Lands proper (that name is sounding more and more stupid each time I read it). Daxos speculates that Athreos hasn't been drawn into Nyx because his job is too important to the functioning of the world. I suppose the same logic applies to Erebos, though he's not mentioned (or the nearby Underworld is a part of Nyx?), because Daxos refuses to speak aloud more lest the god hear him. Interesting that phenomena like the Sun itself can be trusted to run without a god's guidance, but not the passage of the dead.

As they go into the shrine of Athreos at the end of the Despair Lands, the Eidola and Returned without a guide appear. They're pretty horrific, as you'd expect from images of the dead. Elspeth, with her trauma, freaks the hell out and starts planeswalking, but Daxos senses she's doing something to escape and asks her to stay with him. Welp, he spoke. (He can communicate telepathically, why didn't he?)

(Min Yum, Baleful Eidolon, THS)

So bad times all round. They leg it back out, all the way back to the border of the Nessian Forest. Daxos is curious about what spell she was casting, but no time for that. An Eidolon has followed them - Daxos' mother. She calls him a coward, he retorts that this is a trick by Erebos. He uses the amulet she gave him on the last day she was alive to disperse her, in a really anticlimactic and uninteresting resolution, and they leave for Meletis.

(Completion: 25%)

Sleep of Bronze fucked around with this message at 21:51 on May 16, 2014

A big flaming stink
Apr 26, 2010
this coverage is beyond amateurish

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

A big flaming stink posted:

this coverage is beyond amateurish

I wish I could see the terrible coverage but Twitch isn't loading anything for me this afternoon :sweatdrop:

Zoness
Jul 24, 2011

Talk to the hand.
Grimey Drawer

rabidsquid posted:

I wish I could see the terrible coverage but Twitch isn't loading anything for me this afternoon :sweatdrop:

If it's not an issue with your connection I recommend setting up livestreamer.

I pretty much use it instead of twitch's native flash interface to view twitch streams, it takes a little work to set up if you're not use to python development / module installation on your own machine but I've found it a lot more useful than just using twitch's flash player.

Boring
Nov 29, 2004

nuhhh
i just got permanently banned from the Magic twitch stream for saying Craig Wescoe looked like Smeagol, feels bad man

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Zoness posted:

If it's not an issue with your connection I recommend setting up livestreamer.

I pretty much use it instead of twitch's native flash interface to view twitch streams, it takes a little work to set up if you're not use to python development / module installation on your own machine but I've found it a lot more useful than just using twitch's flash player.

I am guessing it is an issue with my connection because my phone wont load any streams either. Not sure though I guess.

Bugsy
Jul 15, 2004

I'm thumpin'. That's
why they call me
'Thumper'.

Slippery Tilde

Boring posted:

i just got permanently banned from the Magic twitch stream for saying Craig Wescoe looked like Smeagol, feels bad man

They usually just time you out for 10 minutes, but it only takes 2 to make a new account. And he is a little little man. And boy is the chat extra stupidier than normal.

Bugsy fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 16, 2014

netcat
Apr 29, 2008

Boring posted:

Good

Emerson Cod
Apr 14, 2004

by Pragmatica
I wonder if Fox will use anything from the books (either nu-Walkers or old) in the movie they've got in development. It seems like they could make it either super-serious high fantasy or some sort of self-aware nerd comedy, both of which sound pretty awful. I'm not sure what a successful Magic movie might look like.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Boring
Nov 29, 2004

nuhhh

Sorry Craig i didn't mean it

• Locked thread