Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
So basically go out, buy a bottle, get some gloves(will latex work?), and I should be okay, right? I might order a bottle of Mr. Color leveling thinner anyway, since I read that you can use it to help slow drying so things coat more evenly, plus it has the added benefit of not melting plastic nearly as quick.

There's actually a place near me that claims to sell Mr. Color products; I might swing by there tonight or tomorrow and check it out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ActionZero
Jan 22, 2011

I act once more in
imitation of light
If you can finish the main body of a gunpla and not immediately do this with it then you're not bloody human.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

The Muffinlord posted:

So basically go out, buy a bottle, get some gloves(will latex work?), and I should be okay, right? I might order a bottle of Mr. Color leveling thinner anyway, since I read that you can use it to help slow drying so things coat more evenly, plus it has the added benefit of not melting plastic nearly as quick.

There's actually a place near me that claims to sell Mr. Color products; I might swing by there tonight or tomorrow and check it out.

Latex will work but Nitrile are supposed to be less permeable to certain chemicals and usually make your hands sweat less.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Seconding Cat Hatter, I use nitrile gloves. I keep a bath of the thinner in a metal paint can sealed up so that I can throw paint dishes and other stuff in there and then I have smaller bottles for other stuff, cleaning equipment, etc.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

some people just wanna watch the world burn

Apparently the big reveal's going to be an HG instead of PG Unicorn? Or maybe this is just something else.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?
Well, hey, guess what I found out? Alcohol works really well. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, they're from the same company that makes the Gundam Markers, and the solvent/eraser pen for those is literally just alcohol. It has the added bonus of not being super toxic, too, which is kinda nice.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

The Muffinlord posted:

Well, hey, guess what I found out? Alcohol works really well. I guess I shouldn't be surprised, they're from the same company that makes the Gundam Markers, and the solvent/eraser pen for those is literally just alcohol. It has the added bonus of not being super toxic, too, which is kinda nice.

So what are we talkin here? I just need to make a margarita and dunk it or...

Seriously though I can use cheap vodka or something?

Blackchamber fucked around with this message at 03:42 on May 17, 2014

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

TaurusOxford posted:

Well we now know what HGUC Neo Zeong's secret gimmick is:

It gets better (spoiled because it seems to be a big reveal thing from the OVA). The four pods hanging off the back? They're four more arms identical to the first two, each with five beam cannons :unsmigghh:. The drat thing goes full-blown Asura. I completely take back what I said about it seeming rather underwhelming :allears:.

The Muffinlord
Mar 3, 2007

newbid stupie?

Blackchamber posted:

So what are we talkin here? I just need to make a margarita and dunk it or...

Sure, so long as you start with >90% isopropyl alcohol. And leave out the salts. Or the flavorings. Or anything but the alcohol and the paint.

It works really well, though! I painted all of the torso armor, and three quarters of the skirt. I also primed the shield, but I haven't painted it yet. I didn't want to tackle the pipes just yet, but I'll probably do that next time.

Blackchamber
Jan 25, 2005

The Muffinlord posted:

Sure, so long as you start with >90% isopropyl alcohol. And leave out the salts. Or the flavorings. Or anything but the alcohol and the paint.

It works really well, though! I painted all of the torso armor, and three quarters of the skirt. I also primed the shield, but I haven't painted it yet. I didn't want to tackle the pipes just yet, but I'll probably do that next time.

I seriously thought you were talking about the kind you drink. Guess I'm thinking too much about the weekend being here.

Maybe I'll give it a try this weekend though, cause using regular thinner is more expensive.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

MG FA Unicorn with Red psychoframe and MG Hi-Nu HWS were announced as web exclusives. Same goes for the Neo Zeong's back ring, which is indeed its final gimmick.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

The B&N near me is finally carrying gunpla. I bought the HG Fenice for shits and giggles.

What I really wanted was an RG model, because I haven't built one yet but the only choice they had was Destiny and eh.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

BlitzBlast posted:

Same goes for the Neo Zeong's back ring, which is indeed its final gimmick.

I can't believe they actually found a way to nickel-and-dime the goddamn Neo Zeong :magical:.

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

Waiting for Neo Zeong to arrive at Barnes and Noble. That will be a sign of the end times.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Neddy Seagoon posted:

I can't believe they actually found a way to nickel-and-dime the goddamn Neo Zeong :magical:.

It's a pretty gently caress huge effect part, so no duh. Otherwise Neo Zeong would be even more expensive.

I might actually pick up Hi Nu HWS if the armor parts are compatible with the Nu vKa. And all things considered, they probably are.

EDIT: Also, I swear people bitching about kits being P-Bandai is a litmus test for not knowing poo poo about economics. Why do I read Gundam Guy comments.

BlitzBlast fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 17, 2014

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
The exclusives don't stop there either. MG 00 7 Sword/G Inspection colors, and RG RX-78-2 in Char's colors is also coming.

On top of that, a 35th Gundam Premium set, which looks like it includes Gundam 3.0 and a 1/35 scale of Char's Zaku II head.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

BlitzBlast posted:

EDIT: Also, I swear people bitching about kits being P-Bandai is a litmus test for not knowing poo poo about economics. Why do I read Gundam Guy comments.

I read them because they're hilarious in how much they complain whenever anything that isn't a UC suit gets announced.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

That tiny wee Banshee :allears:

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

You know, for some reason, despite my love for brazen, balls-out excess when it comes to Gundam stuff, I'm not too keen on the ol' Neo Zeong, and I'm not sure why. I love the Dendrobium and the Neue Ziel, but it isn't tickling my fancy for some reason. I do love the daft hugeness of the kit though, that's a treat. Is there anyone who particularly likes it and might actually get the monster?

Also, I've decided to spend my off weekend disassembling my Banshee and painting the back of the psychoframe silver. Here's hoping I don't gently caress it up too bad.

ACES CURE PLANES fucked around with this message at 12:21 on May 17, 2014

Mordja
Apr 26, 2014

Hell Gem
Figure I might as well post my collection. Well, not all of it I guess; I've got four kits back in Canada but those were my earlier ones and haven't been panel lined or nothin'. The first two, I actually twisted the parts from the sprues by hand. :stonk:

lovely pictures, ho!

L-R: SD Hyaku Shiki, HG Hrairoo Gaplant, HG Blue Frame Astray, MG Unicorn. Shown separately...

Is Model Comprehend's FA Nu, shortly before every drat thing fell off for the nth time. Finally, a close-up of the Unicorn.

I'm currently in the process of panel lining a recently built RG Full Burnern; hopefully I'm doing a better job this time around...

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

Your Mg unicorn looks like it's doing the "thats it..." taunt from :darksouls:

Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

Thugged out since cub scouts

S-Alpha posted:

You know, for some reason, despite my love for brazen, balls-out excess when it comes to Gundam stuff, I'm not too keen on the ol' Neo Zeong, and I'm not sure why. I love the Dendrobium and the Neue Ziel, but it isn't tickling my fancy for some reason.

I feel like you've given me the words to articulate something I was having trouble expressing here. The Neo-Zeong just kinda seems, to me at least, as if they mashed up the Neue Ziel with the Dendrobium, slapped some red on it and called it a day. For a new design it feels kinda...not new. And if that's the point, I feel like I would have rather have had something that was smaller but felt more like a direct redesign of the Zeong. Though the recently revealed six arm gimmick is pretty cool. Much like the HGUC GP03, I love the fact that this exists but I sure as hell won't be buying one.

Now if they want to go ahead and make a 1/144 Neue Ziel...

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
The Neo Zeong is made from spare parts of the Zeong and the Alpha Azieru, hence why it feels like a case of deja vu.

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Welp, finally finished psychoframe painting of one leg of my Banshee, and I'm starting to get a strange feeling of dread as I realize that I know how to un/reassemble a Unicorn without instructions by this point. And it certainly does help it pop:

Sorry for the lovely vita cam, but whatever. I'm still sad that I ended up frosting the plastic a little bit when topcoating. And the gold leaf decals are so insanely fragile, Jesus Christ. I can't wait to see what it looks like under my blacklight when it's done.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Stop trying to be a special snowflake Amuro, you're ruining the picture.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Well, the Assault Shroud does look alright (Mostly for the missile launcher and the Shiva cannon) the waist armor was such a pain in the rear end to attach, I just left it in the box. I gotta say the real star of this kit is the bazooka. Holy poo poo that thing is beautiful and feels so nice in my hands, actually feels like it has some weight to it.

Either way, it was a fun build.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Oh, right, and RE/100 Gundam mkIII was announced for December so PG Unicorn has been deconfirmed. I'm expecting MG Banshee Norn with green frame for November.

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
PG Unicorn reveal was never going to happen at Shizuoka but it might by the time this show rolls around.

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

So, are we getting the actual GP04 or the Gerbera Tetra but in white.
I'm confused since the lineart doesn't have those awesome giant thrusters the gp04 has.

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

BlitzBlast posted:

Oh, right, and RE/100 Gundam mkIII was announced for December so PG Unicorn has been deconfirmed. I'm expecting MG Banshee Norn with green frame for November.

So what's in that covered glass case?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Zedd posted:

So, are we getting the actual GP04 or the Gerbera Tetra but in white.
I'm confused since the lineart doesn't have those awesome giant thrusters the gp04 has.

It's the actual GP04.

Also, that's not lineart. It's just a photo of a resin GP04. Looks to be Volks' 1/144 GP04 just being used for visual purposes.

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

Luminaflare posted:

So what's in that covered glass case?

It was probably the Neo Zeon's big ring.

Chewbacca
Jan 30, 2003

Thugged out since cub scouts

TaurusOxford posted:

The Neo Zeong is made from spare parts of the Zeong and the Alpha Azieru, hence why it feels like a case of deja vu.

When I look at pictures of the Alpha Azieru, it seems so obvious. I don't know, I have a feeling the design will grow on me when I see it in motion in episode 7.

Zwingley
Sep 20, 2011

"My dear Seth, you look absolutely dashing!"

Hair Elf
So I've been working on my HG Sengoku Astray, but I'm running into a problem with the red and black plastic in that it shows stress marks from being cut from the runners a lot more clearly than the white that I'm more accustomed to from the HG Unicorn Destroy I made.

I try to shave them away with my knife, but sometimes I either do it wrong or they go deep enough that to get them totally out I'm going to have to cut into the piece itself, and I'd really rather not do that. Any tips for reducing how visible they can to be, or is this just one of the reasons why people topcoat?

e: vvv Yeah, I'm referring to the stress marks remaining after I've shaved off all the excess plastic. Markers sound like a decent idea, though; thanks!

Zwingley fucked around with this message at 23:13 on May 18, 2014

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021

Zwingley posted:

So I've been working on my HG Sengoku Astray, but I'm running into a problem with the red and black plastic in that it shows stress marks from being cut from the runners a lot more clearly than the white that I'm more accustomed to from the HG Unicorn Destroy I made.

I try to shave them away with my knife, but sometimes I either do it wrong or they go deep enough that to get them totally out I'm going to have to cut into the piece itself, and I'd really rather not do that. Any tips for reducing how visible they can to be, or is this just one of the reasons why people topcoat?

Get appropriately colored markers, dab the stress point and then use a paper towel to wipe away the excess.

Edit: Of course, make sure you're also getting rid of as much excess plastic as you can with your knife first.

TaurusOxford fucked around with this message at 23:01 on May 18, 2014

Luminaflare
Sep 23, 2010

No one man
should have all that
POWER BEYOND MEASURE

I leave a bit of the runner on, file it down, sand it with progressively finer 'sand' paper and then take a buffing block for nails to it.

On the note of filing are diamond files better than the normal metal ones?

BlitzBlast
Jul 30, 2011

I've been busy with other things so I've just been doing slight detail work on my DX for the last week or so. I wanted to wait until I was done with one leg before making another post, but I've packed up my paint to get ready to move out of my dorm so so much for that.

Since the only thing this kit is going to be doing is the Twin Satellite Cannon pose, I decided to spruce up the details with some metallics so it's even shinier. All of the yellows (aka barely anything) have been replaced with gold and there'll be small silver highlights all over.

This shot was unfortunately blurry, but you can still kind of see the two tone I'm going for with the DX's midnight blue. I unfortunately do not have that color and can't seem to mix it, so instead I'm painting it black and scratching off bits of the coat to reveal the original color as highlights.

I also went ahead and painted this panel. It's still not done yet, and I need to decide if I want to paint the lines silver or natural steel, but it's a nice detail.

I spent a while pondering what joints I'd need to buy to make this kit's articulation less poo poo. Then I looked at my HG and realized it'd be far, far easier just to cut off a bit of the thigh's back and free up more space for the knee to move. It has the added bonus of removing an awful seam line too!

Oh, and I also considered filling in the holes in the back where the G-Falcon pegs in, but I've decided that with all of the work I'm putting into this I want to get it again and do a straight build as a comparison. And hell, why not get the alternate version?

TaurusOxford
Feb 10, 2009

Dad of the Year 2021
Looking good. You definitely have more patience than I would to try and make this model kit look good.

Fauxtool
Oct 21, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS

Luminaflare posted:

I leave a bit of the runner on, file it down, sand it with progressively finer 'sand' paper and then take a buffing block for nails to it.

On the note of filing are diamond files better than the normal metal ones?

The material doesn't matter, only the grain and that the file is harder than plastic

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ACES CURE PLANES
Oct 21, 2010

Welp, finally finished the silver backing for my Banshee. Man, does it make it pop so much more now, before it was pretty much black unless you shone a light directly on it, but now the green frame pops perfectly, and it even shines brighter under the blacklight now. Thanks to those who suggested it, it's awesome.

Speaking of blacklights, I had my old MG Wing TV's green beam sabers out, and holy poo poo those things shine like loving neon under blacklight, way brighter than Unicorn frames or any other beam saber part. Whatever they used in those they should use for every other effect part, because drat.

• Locked thread