Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

St Evan Echoes posted:

Bret said in his autobiography that the Edge isn't a very safe move (or at least it's really hard on your neck even if done safely), so I can understand why an advanced-years Backlund would say no to it.

pretty much the entire reason Sheamus doesn't do that move anymore is because it was too risky for guys to bang their heads taking it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghostpilot
Jun 22, 2007

"As a rule, I never touch anything more sophisticated and delicate than myself."

I hadn't realized how often he refers to himself in the third person.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Davros1 posted:

Ha, I'd go for the first one, just because of the ending. It was so cathartic.

A testament to how good those matches are that we all love a different one the most.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Abrasive Obelisk posted:

I'm going to be on a long car ride tomorrow, give me your favorite matches

Angle vs Benoit - 2003 Royal Rumble.

Cromulent posted:

I don't know if you mean "big" by size or starpower, but King Kong Bundy refused to submit to a sharpshooter from Bret. Said something like "I've never given up in my career and I'm not about to start." X-Pac put Visine in his water bottle for that.

Backlund refused to take the Razor's Edge at WM9.

What does that do? Just taste bad?

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Corzaa posted:

It acts as a CNS depressant that can kill you but everyone thinks it just gives you diarrhea for some reason.

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Luigi Thirty posted:

It acts as a CNS depressant that can kill you but everyone thinks it just gives you diarrhea for some reason.

Blame tv, it's showed up in CSI at least once reinforcing that idea.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

Blasmeister posted:

But it killed someone on CSI didn't it :confused:

Blasmeister
Jan 15, 2012

2Time TRP Sack Race Champion

Luigi Thirty posted:

But it killed someone on CSI didn't it :confused:

Iirc that was a red herring and it turned out to be heavy metal poisoning or something else.

Quasipox
Sep 6, 2008

Blasmeister posted:

Iirc that was a red herring and it turned out to be heavy metal poisoning or something else.

Well good thing HHH wasn't shoving a Motorhead album in there then...

WHOOPS
Nov 6, 2009

Blasmeister posted:

Wedding Crashers probably did more to reinforce it with a lot of people.

Bring Back Noid
Sep 16, 2005

Corzaa posted:

Explosive Diarrhea from what I remember.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

Bring Back Noid posted:

Explosive Diarrhea from what I remember.

Nah

quote:

The active ingredient in Visine eye drops is Tetrahydrozoline HCl 0.05%. Swallowing this substance can result in a number of nasty effects, including:

Lowering body temperature to dangerous levels
Making breathing difficult, or even halting it entirely
Blurring vision
Causing nausea and vomiting
Elevating and then dropping blood pressure
Causing seizures or tremors
Sending the ingester into a coma
Pfizer's cautions to users of Visine include: "If swallowed, get medical help or contact a Poison Control Center right away." In view of the above list,
that advice should not be taken lightly.

One thing tetrahydrozoline has not been known to do is to cause sudden onset bouts of severe diarrhea. Although this belief has been around for decades, and everyone knows someone who knows someone who really did administer a Visine mickey to a deserving miscreant and thereby caused him an immediate serious case of the trots, there's no documented evidence the producthas that effect. Of all the Visine poisoning cases studied by medical observers, we found none that mentioned diarrheal output brought about by the drug.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

If you want a vision of the future...
Yeah, people have almost died from the Visine "prank", and if X-Pac really did that he's a colossally stupid man. Which I guess wasn't really in doubt before, but eh.

Mechafunkzilla fucked around with this message at 15:17 on May 16, 2014

Onmi
Jul 12, 2013

If someone says it one more time I'm having Florina show up as a corpse. I'm not even kidding, I was pissed off with people doing that shit back in 2010, and I'm not dealing with it now in 2016.
My question is why he would do that, the clique and Bret never really saw eye to eye. You would think he would find it hilarious that Bundy would refuse to submit to Bret.

rare Magic card l00k
Jan 3, 2011

Mechafunkzilla posted:

Yeah, people have died from the Visine "prank", and if X-Pac really did that he's a colossally stupid man. Which I guess wasn't really in doubt before, but eh.

I'm pretty sure at this point a professional wrestler should be assumed to be a colossally stupid shithead until proven otherwise.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Onmi posted:

My question is why he would do that, the clique and Bret never really saw eye to eye. You would think he would find it hilarious that Bundy would refuse to submit to Bret.

Probably an "old guys vs new guard" thing. Like the Clique can gently caress with Bret, but some old timer won't put the champ over? Who does he think he is?

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Onmi posted:

Waltman looked up to Bret before he joined the Kliq, or before it was formed. Nash was good friends with Bret too in the early days iirc

DeathChicken
Jul 9, 2012

Nonsense. I have not yet begun to defile myself.

Papa Shango was ruined too after Bret made him tap, so gently caress Bret.

Monkeycheese
Feb 24, 2002

ninja minúsculo
Believe it or not, adults can have relationships that aren't 100% alliances or 100% adversarial.

Disgusting Coward
Feb 17, 2014

Gay idiot noob, it's pro wrestlers we're talking about here, not adults.

Pinstripe Hourglass
Nov 27, 2008

=RIVER PEOPLE=
Ay yi yi! We look
like... cartoons!

Monkeycheese posted:

Believe it or not, adults can have relationships that aren't 100% alliances or 100% adversarial.

We were talking about X-Pac though?

oldpainless
Oct 30, 2009

This 📆 post brought to you by RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS👥.
RAID💥: SHADOW LEGENDS 👥 - It's for your phone📲TM™ #ad📢

Literally "the kid"

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Even Bret essentially says that the "Kliq" was formed in recognition of the fact wrestlers had no union and were routinely played against one another by Vince. So a group of top guys made a political bloc to elevate themselves and keep it that way in the company. At the time this was happening, Bret was one of the principal competitors, aside from personal grudges that developed because Shawn was a pillhead and Bret's super-kayfabe view of the wrestling universe. I doubt many other people got along with Shawn either. It's really pretty simple.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
So the DDT is one of the coolest yet simplest moves in wrestling. Despite this, people have managed to make it look not cool. Who has the worst DDT in the business?

Personally, I never liked Shawn's DDT, it often ends up looking like he's getting spinebustered. Great worker, but not a great version of that move.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

Suleman posted:

So the DDT is one of the coolest yet simplest moves in wrestling. Despite this, people have managed to make it look not cool. Who has the worst DDT in the business?

Personally, I never liked Shawn's DDT, it often ends up looking like he's getting spinebustered. Great worker, but not a great version of that move.
Christian's tornado DDT always looks like poo poo. I also hate any DDT where it just looks like the guy taking it is just doing a somersault.

Scruffy the janitor
Dec 31, 2007

A greater tragedy my eyes have never beheld

Cromulent posted:

Christian's tornado DDT always looks like poo poo. I also hate any DDT where it just looks like the guy taking it is just doing a somersault.

If I remember right this was a common thing in Cena vs Big Show matches. Really bad.

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

I am not sure what one means by "somersault," but it actually tends to look really good if the guy taking the bump takes it like he is being dropped on the top of his head. Triple H did that to one of the Spirit Squad guys and the crowd did an "OHHHH."

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I am not sure what one means by "somersault," but it actually tends to look really good if the guy taking the bump takes it like he is being dropped on the top of his head. Triple H did that to one of the Spirit Squad guys and the crowd did an "OHHHH."
The somersault bump is when the guy taking the DDT ends up on his back, as opposed to taking a flat pancake bump and landing on his stomach. Usually in the somersault bump it's immediately obvious the guy isn't landing on his head and is just doing a roll. It looks more like a suplex without jumping.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
For a cruel twist of irony, look for any DDTs Jake did on the indie circuit when he was terribly addicted and out of shape. He can't even take the flat back bump.

The DDT relies a lot on the guy taking the bump, too, so you can't always say that one guy's DDT is good or bad.

Cromulent posted:

I also hate any DDT where it just looks like the guy taking it is just doing a somersault.

OneThousandMonkeys posted:

I am not sure what one means by "somersault," but it actually tends to look really good if the guy taking the bump takes it like he is being dropped on the top of his head.
Jake Roberts says that the guy taking the DDT should end up lying flat on his face. I think it's OK if the guy goes to the side or rolls forward onto his back, but the bottom line is that it's gotta look like he's getting his head planted into the ground. When a DDT just looks like a neck chancery where the guy skims his head on the mat a little bit, that's a lame-rear end DDT.

Suleman
Sep 4, 2011
Any DDT done on the Big Show will unfortunately always end up with him rolling forward, it's just how he sells them.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

The best DDT is Raven's in WCW/nWo Revenge on N64. But I don't think you can actually do that in real life without killing someone.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DT4OIVN0QcI&t=1415s

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mechafunkzilla posted:

The best DDT is Raven's in WCW/nWo Revenge on N64. But I don't think you can actually do that in real life without killing someone.

He did it just like this several times, but mostly to Mortis, then later Kanyon, who likely killed himself because of repeated head trauma.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

He did it just like this several times, but mostly to Mortis, then later Kanyon, who likely killed himself because of repeated head trauma.

So, like I said, not really possible to do without killing someone.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Mechafunkzilla posted:

So, like I said, not really possible to do without killing someone.
Y'know, I don't know if it's tone or what, but pretty often, I'll post something to help somebody's point or agree with them and get a response as if my point was an argument.

It happened less when my avatar was happy.

Mechafunkzilla
Sep 11, 2006

LividLiquid posted:

Y'know, I don't know if it's tone or what, but pretty often, I'll post something to help somebody's point or agree with them and get a response as if my point was an argument.

It happened less when my avatar was happy.

That was meant more as a "yep", not an argument. Tonal problems on the internet, y'all.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Alright!

We'll call it a draw. :haw:

Davros1
Jul 19, 2007

You've got to admit, you are kind of implausible

Dusty Rhodes is one of my favorites. He can work a crowd with his promos, and he can have the whole crowd on the edge of their seats in his matches.

That said, he possesses the worst DDT of all time

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3LVK0vvPeCo at 3:17

jesus WEP
Oct 17, 2004

Mechafunkzilla posted:

That game plus the two WWF ones (WM2000 and No Mercy?) are still the best wrestling vidja games ever and I will fight anyone who disagrees

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

LividLiquid posted:

Alright!

We'll call it a draw. :haw:

Haha, you just can't seem to catch a break lately can you? :respek:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Monkeycheese posted:

Not in pro wrestling where organizations like WWE are like high school all over again. That's what Dave Lagana actually thought his first day, it was like being back in high school all over again when he walked into the meeting room with Vince and everybody.