Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (February 25, 1927)

Peanuts, in which Our Hero faces the future with clear eyes. (May 19, 1967)

Funky Winkerbean? Not so much...

Popeye

Rip Haywire

Pogo: Don't look at me like that, you had to know something like this was coming. (May 18, 1956)

Droodles (May 18, 1956)

And just for today, a bonus from May 18, 1956: The Ryatts by Cal Alley. Alley was a second generation cartoonist (hey, just like Bob Weber Jr.!), his previous strip was a single panel thing he inherited from his dad called "Hambone's Meditations", which I'm just going to leave you to discover for yourself. Your only warning: Wash Funk was just the tip of the iceberg.

Anyway, it beat The Family Circus to the inoffensive domestic comedy market by at least ten years, so I guess that's something.

Alley retired from the strip (and cartooning) in 1965. You're probably familiar with his replacement on the Ryatts, too: JACKELROD. From these humble beginnings, the legend was born.

Out Our Way (December 24-25, 1956)

Yet another thing we don't necessarily miss about the 1920s: pitiful quality control in the Santa department.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 16:41 on May 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

One of the "Little Sisters" from Bioshock would work perfectly here, too. :v:

Jane's World

Wait, what? Forgot what?

Non Sequitur

A little sophomoric for you, Wiley, but I guess it works.

Hey I used a BrookeWord!

Heavenly Nostrils caught up.

Kliban

:stare: I laughed at this because it's so :psyduck: to me. I mean.. what?

9 Chickweed Lane 5/16/2003

Not bad Brooke. Solange just needs to brush up on her technique. Cats are pros at drifting.

:v:

Zits

Walt's right. Prom attire has gotten weirder over the years, though. What, with duct tape, and Mountain Dew tuxes and all. My daughter went dressed as The Grimm's "13th Fairy". That was different. I think I wore blue jeans to both of mine. I was hired as the DJ, and needed the cash. My HS girlfriend at the time was cool with it, so a good time was had by all.

Kevin & Kell

God can this story be over? It's just hopelessly stupid at this point, William. Yeah, I know the whole species has characteristic thing, but still.

Huh. HIV tests at Tesco now. That's pretty progressive. Thanks Metro!

Going to start capturing the title bar. I just think it looks better.

What?

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
Looks like Nemi's allergies are acting up.

You know what else is acting up?
Cul-de-sac Alice is, as always.

The Creeps So are the creeps!

Candorville:shrek:

Broomhilda

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Ham Shears

I'm feeling very emotional right now. :geno:

The Dinette Set

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Kevin & Kell

God can this story be over? It's just hopelessly stupid at this point, William. Yeah, I know the whole species has characteristic thing, but still.

Don't male lions basically just lie around and let the females do most of the hunting anyway? You'd think Frank would be built like William Shatner by now.

Indolent Bastard
Oct 26, 2007

I WON THIS AMAZING AVATAR! I'M A WINNER! WOOOOO!
Monty

Mike du Jour

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Tiggum posted:

Pooch Café

Nobody owns comics, and I encourage everybody to post what they want to talk about when they want to talk about it, regardless of who 'usually' posts it. That being said, I'm still going to :argh: at you because I had a good title for these today.

Oh well, here's the other half of Dog Comix at the Window.

Ballard Street

That dog has a similar, though less generous opinion.

ChickenOfTomorrow
Nov 11, 2012

god damn it, you've got to be kind

Mark Trail

Buz Sawyer

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

RandomFerret posted:

Nobody owns comics, and I encourage everybody to post what they want to talk about when they want to talk about it, regardless of who 'usually' posts it. That being said, I'm still going to :argh: at you because I had a good title for these today.

You could still have posted the unedited version.

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

Nah, yours was better.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Tiggum posted:

You could still have posted the unedited version.

Y'know tiggs, I wouldn't mind if you wanted to pull some edits for Candorville or Broom hilda. Then I wouldn't have to post them!

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

Tiggum posted:

Crankshaft

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magician

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Cricken_Nigfops posted:

Y'know tiggs, I wouldn't mind if you wanted to pull some edits for Candorville or Broom hilda. Then I wouldn't have to post them!
Your masochism is your own problem.

:roflolmao:

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom
Wait, are they talking about... Chatu, the Python? :monocle:

Johnny Aztec
Jan 30, 2005

by Hand Knit

Tiggum posted:

Also known as Lucidor!

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

A month later, the giant is killed by a band of mercenaries hired by the villagers and guided by a group of his former slaves who knew his weaknesses and the lay of his land, because despite winning some wandering knight's favour he's still the monster who'd been terrorising them and taking their children for years.

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Comics Curmudgeon http://joshreads.com/?p=21490 posted:

Your comment of the week moment but first: faithful reader/Maryland-area standup/cool guy/personal friend Isaac Hirsch pointed me in the direction of this AMAZING animated Mark Trail GIF. It’s animated, and it takes a minute to get going, but for God’s sake wait for it, because it’s like nothing you’ve ever seen. If you

Are you the anonymous mad genius who made this beautiful thing? If so, please email me at bio at jfruh dot com and let me know so you can get the credit you deserve!
R Ubbish, step right up

(Yeah it just trails off after "If you" in the original)

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

Tiggum posted:

Man, I hope so. I want a return to Gravelines Prison.

Darthemed
Oct 28, 2007

"A data unit?
For me?
"

College Slice
Bloom County

At last, the reason for USA Today's fifth-grade reading level explained kind of.

:monocle:

Calvin And Hobbes

Ripley's

Sweaty IT Nerd
Jul 13, 2007

Aces indeed.

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Dennis the Menace

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!

Brilliant. Twice. Just... well, Mark Trail said it best: Aces!

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Evil Mastermind posted:

The Dinette Set

I don't know why but I really dig this strip. It's not funny, or even particularly weird in an obvious way, it's just...off somehow. It's the comic strip equivalent of David Lynch's obsession with 40s Californian architecture.

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?

Jesus... :suicide:

bartok
May 10, 2006

Ted Forth need not worry the new Godzilla movie was pretty fun.

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

I like the punctuation on the William Kendall blurb. He was wearing a life preserver and swim trunks! At the same time!

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

Midnight Moth posted:

Slylock Fox

Uh, Slylock owning pets would be tantamount to slavery and trafficking. I mean, we can expect that from Count Weirdly since he's got a laundry list of heinous offenses anyway but Slylock is supposed to be a paragon of virtue and moral stature.

It doesn't matter because the account was locked out after 3 consecutive failed log on attempts.

Bobulus
Jan 28, 2007

Karma Tornado posted:

This comic is so bad. I've read every single one that's been posted and it always feels like I've missed two strips in between every time I read it.

I'm very confused about the order of progression of events. Here's as far as I can figure out...

- Detective gets hired to find out why rich lady keeps getting killed (and then brought back to life, because she's rich)
- Leaves psychic gal friday behind and is teleported to (or maybe only his mind is?) a synthetic paradise where the rich lady lives, controlled by an all powerful computer.
- Detective's own all-powerful-computer suddenly becomes an 8-bit sprite, for reasons unclear.
- Rich lady and her family are obnoxious assholes.
- Detective discovered a whole pile of rich family bodies, indicating that something more is going on than just a simple serial murder.
- Rich lady's all-powerful-computer sends Detective back home, possibly erases all this from his memory, and generally acts suspicious.
- Detective's APC is back to normal and detective only barely remembers he even took the case.
- Psychic Gal-Friday and Detective's APC go into his brain to find out why his memories are missing, but turn Detective's APC back into 8-bit
- They go to the synthetic paradise again, but travel under their own power this time.
- Now they're trying to figure out what happened the first time the Detective went there.

Have I got all that right? It's weird that the 8-bit thing happened to the computer twice, and makes me think that I've got events out of order.

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

As I recall, you have it right except the start was to investigate a single murder and we found out it was a whole lot of murder when he found the closet full of her corpses.

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

Bobulus posted:

I'm very confused about the order of progression of events. Here's as far as I can figure out...

- Detective gets hired to find out why rich lady keeps getting killed (and then brought back to life, because she's rich)
- Leaves psychic gal friday behind and is teleported to (or maybe only his mind is?) a synthetic paradise where the rich lady lives, controlled by an all powerful computer.
- Detective's own all-powerful-computer suddenly becomes an 8-bit sprite, for reasons unclear.
- Rich lady and her family are obnoxious assholes.
- Detective discovered a whole pile of rich family bodies, indicating that something more is going on than just a simple serial murder.
- Rich lady's all-powerful-computer sends Detective back home, possibly erases all this from his memory, and generally acts suspicious.
- Detective's APC is back to normal and detective only barely remembers he even took the case.
- Psychic Gal-Friday and Detective's APC go into his brain to find out why his memories are missing, but turn Detective's APC back into 8-bit
- They go to the synthetic paradise again, but travel under their own power this time.
- Now they're trying to figure out what happened the first time the Detective went there.

Have I got all that right? It's weird that the 8-bit thing happened to the computer twice, and makes me think that I've got events out of order.

I think that's right, but add in the flying attack bimbos and the ongoing obsession with hamburgers.

Setting aside the pacing and storytelling issues, there's something just really... fetishy about ZNJ. I can't quite put into words what it is that gives that impression, but that's how it strikes me.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

LvK posted:

I like the punctuation on the William Kendall blurb. He was wearing a life preserver and swim trunks! At the same time!

Well other people had already swam across, he was just the first to do it while wearing that outfit.

Lowen SoDium
Jun 5, 2003

Highen Fiber
Clapping Larry

TofuDiva posted:

I think that's right, but add in the flying attack bimbos and the ongoing obsession with hamburgers.

Setting aside the pacing and storytelling issues, there's something just really... fetishy about ZNJ. I can't quite put into words what it is that gives that impression, but that's how it strikes me.

Probably the asses.

Punished Chuck
Dec 27, 2010

TofuDiva posted:

Probably has something to do with the lovingly drawn nipples visible on every woman through their clothes.

Cricken_Nigfops
Oct 25, 2011

CROM!
I had initially written off ZNJ as a lovely creepy fetishistic strip early on.

Turns out I was right to do so. gently caress that guy.

Wanamingo
Feb 22, 2008

by FactsAreUseless
Six Chix

Zippy the Pinhead

Nancy

Arlo and Janis

Wee Pals

Hahaha, haha... ha... :smith:

Andertoons

Lost Side of Suburbia

Zachary Nixon Johnson

You're all right about this comic being creepy fetish stuff.

Dick Tracy

I think Tracy just poisoned his wife?

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Oh yeah, guess who totally figured this one out. :smuggo:

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Oh my god you don't deserve to write Ernie Bushmiller's name :mad:

e: The clue in an Inspector Danger actually worked!

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
That was an OBVIOUS one. Assuming you already knew those were the suspects.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Someone put that dog out of its misery.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Aardmania
Jan 1, 2007

Ruining newspapers since 1993.

Shredded Hen
Piranha Club

Dick Tracy

Judge Parker

9 Chickweed Lane

We can't ignore the corpses. Brooke refuses to move the story away from these two.

Pibgorn

Oddly enough, Pibgorn giving a guy the old bum's rush doesn't need to be linked like I thought it would.

• Locked thread