Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

Hot Dog Day #82 posted:

I have 18 month old twins and both would rather die than spend a minute suffering under a blanket. My wife and I like to cuddle with our kids before putting them to bed and if a blanket so much as grazes their little feet it is nothing but furious kicking until they're out from under it. It is amazing.

Our twins do the same if you put them to bed with clothing that leaves their legs bare. Pajamas with built in socks (or actual socks) or pants for that matter helps here. If their feet are bare you'll wake up and find them without covers. The younger one has even started kicking off his pajama pants, and then the covers go.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur

flowinprose posted:

Anyone have any experiences with their kids suddenly having a crippling fear of shadows or being in the dark? My son is almost 2.5 years old, and this has suddenly become a big issue. I understand this is a fairly common thing to occur in kids around 2-3. He has a night-light already... but it is possible that is making things worse, since it seems like he is more concerned about the shadows rather than the dark in general. My wife seems against the idea of a blanket, saying he could accidently smother/choke himself with it if he got tangled up (while I agree there is a risk of that, I think it would be extremely small). He sleeps with a stuffed animal (a stuffed cow), and I've tried to convince him that "cow will keep you safe," but his anxiety doesn't seem to abate without either my wife or I in the room. Previous to this he has done pretty well with sleeping for some time now.

My undestanding is that in most children this tends to fade a bit within a few weeks, but in the meantime this is creating quite a bit of havoc in everyone's sleep. Any ideas/experiences/recommendations you could share?

No blanket at 2.5 is totally overboard. He has had the motor control/muscle ability to remove a blanket from his face for a very long time now. Give the kid a blanket. Besides, it would probably make him feel more secure and comfortable to be covered. That's how my kids are, anyway, now that they're older. (When the three year old was younger, he was just like the toddlers up thread. Would kick that poo poo right off. But now he loves snuggling under his blanket. :))

If your wife's afraid of smothering, does he even have a pillow? Make him up a proper little bed, really.

As for the actual issue at hand, I go through the shadow thing with my three year old. I wouldn't tell him that cow will keep him safe; that reaffirms there's something to fear about the shadows, and that he needs protecting. Encourage him to hug cow to feel better, but he doesn't need protecting from something that can't hurt him.

I go around the room and show my son what's making the shadows with my hand ("See Mommy's hand in the shadow, touching the shadow? It's just your lamp.") We make our own shadows, and wave on the wall, and I just show him again and again and again, every night before I leave his room. Then I remind him he can turn on seahorse anytime he wants to see more light. Get him a seahorse or something that he can control. We go through this routine at his request, and it's not every night anymore; it stopped the multiple wakings of screaming about things in his room.

Kids are people too, and feel better when they have control over themselves. Let him control his bed--blanket or not, he decides. Seahorse on or seahorse off, his choice. Let him choose if he wants to sleep with more stuffed animals. Give him reasonable choices and ask him what he wants. He's 2.5, and has a lot going on in his little head. Ask him why he's afraid, and address those fears specifically. :) My kid thought shadows were alive.

RazorBunny
May 23, 2007

Sometimes I feel like this.

You could buy a book of shadow puppets and teach him how to make different shapes with the shadows. It worked really well for my friend's little girl. At bedtime each night they would learn a few new shadows she could make with her hands and it taught her that she was in control of the shapes she was seeing.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do
I feel like there's a really catchy Daniel Tiger song that covers being afraid, but the tune isn't leaping to my head at the moment.

(Daniel Tiger's catchy songs has helped us parent sooooo much)

FishBulb
Mar 29, 2003

Marge, I'd like to be alone with the sandwich for a moment.

Are you going to eat it?

...yes...
Daniel Tiger is pretty great

Counselor Sugarbutt
Feb 8, 2010
Speaking of the Fisher Price Seahorse, I just saw this article circulating around today:
http://www.thedenverchannel.com/new...e-glow-seahorse

Apparently some consumers are saying that there is a fire safety risk. However, Fisher Price has not done a recall yet. Just an FYI as I know so many people use this item!

Professor Bananas
Feb 16, 2011
We're currently listening to the Barenaked Ladies' Snacktime! which my husband, my 18 month old and I love but we have it playing on repeat - anything similar that won't drive at least 2/3rds of us insane? I spent all day with a song based on iggle piggle in my head and I'm feeling a bit :shepicide:

Professor Bananas fucked around with this message at 23:47 on May 16, 2014

Larch Tote
Mar 10, 2007

...in the world.

Professor Bananas posted:

We're currently listening to the Barenaked Ladies' Snacktime! which my husband, my 18 month old and I love but we have it playing on repeat - anything similar that won't drive at least 2/3rds of us insane? I spent all day with a song based on iggle piggle in my head and I'm feeling a bit :shepicide:

We like They Might Be Giants' albums for kids. They're pretty fun for any age.

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT
Jul 22, 2005

you can prob fix that with a little duct tape and a paper clip

*is MacGyver irl*
I'm really struggling with sleep with my five month old. He's been a bit frantic about nursing since birth, and really likes to be held, so I've been doing both a lot to comfort him. He nurses to sleep most of the time. He doesn't want to sleep in the crib, the only way that happens is if I put him down completely asleep, then he cries as soon as he wakes up. He does sleep better in the bed with us, but honestly I don't like co-sleeping very much, we have kind of a small bed and I find myself posturing my body in such a way that I get sore joints. He also thrashes around and kicks and punches me in the night. I haven't been sleeping well at all.

We've tried various ways to get him to fall asleep in the crib, but he ends up crying and I don't want to do straight up CIO. He's a pretty happy little guy during the daytime, with the exception of naps. Again, he wants to sleep on or next to me, and he never sleeps more than about thirty minutes for a daytime nap. Any advice would be great.

Twatty Seahag
Dec 30, 2007
5 months is still really young. I would recommend Elizabeth Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solution. A combo of swaddling, easing my daughter off the breast when she was sleepy, and having her in a pack n play right next to our bed worked at that age. She still needed to nurse at night, so there wasn't much else to do except try to enjoy her first stretch of sleep, which was like 3-5 hours.

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT
Jul 22, 2005

you can prob fix that with a little duct tape and a paper clip

*is MacGyver irl*
I'll give that book a try, and don't worry I don't expect a five month old to sleep through the night :) It's just that right now the only one getting a decent nights sleep is him, so I need to try some different solutions so I don't feel like a zombie. A little more info, he's not interested in swaddling and won't take a pacifier. Is it normal for a baby to not nap longer than a half hour?

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005

APOLLO OHNO-UDIDNT posted:

I'll give that book a try, and don't worry I don't expect a five month old to sleep through the night :) It's just that right now the only one getting a decent nights sleep is him, so I need to try some different solutions so I don't feel like a zombie. A little more info, he's not interested in swaddling and won't take a pacifier. Is it normal for a baby to not nap longer than a half hour?

That all sounds pretty normal. Happiest Baby on the Block is another good resource for gentle sleep tips. Ours didn't starting napping for more than 30-40 minutes until he was around 9 months I think, and didn't sleep through the night until 13 months. There's no miracle solutions, some babies just aren't into sleep.

A couple things that helped us a lot were 1) establishing a very structured bedtime routine that started an hour or two before sleep (e.g. calm play, dinner, goodbye song, bath and PJs with mom, read 3 books and then bedtime with dad), and 2) having dad take over the actual going to sleep portion of bedtime. Obviously to do the latter you have to already be in progress with ending the nursing to sleep, but it really helps to make clear that nursing and going to sleep are independent things.

Axiem
Oct 19, 2005

I want to leave my mind blank, but I'm terrified of what will happen if I do

Axiem posted:

I feel like there's a really catchy Daniel Tiger song that covers being afraid, but the tune isn't leaping to my head at the moment.

(Daniel Tiger's catchy songs has helped us parent sooooo much)

My daughter actually "sang" it and reminded me this afternoon. It's See What It Is, which links to the two Daniel Tiger episodes it shows up in (The Sleepover and Backyard Camping) by name; if you poke around Netflix or the PBS Kids website, you should be able to find the full episodes.

Also, my kid hit a milestone today:
Her: "Play big ball upstairs!"
Me: "No, let's no. The big ball doesn't go upstairs."
Her: "Why?"
Me: "... ... ... Err, I can't actually think of a good reason. I guess we're bringing the big ball upstairs!"

On one hand, hooray that my kid is starting to want to know more about the world. On the other hand, crap, now I actually have to start explaining myself for real.

Cimber
Feb 3, 2014

Twatty Seahag posted:

5 months is still really young. I would recommend Elizabeth Pantley's No Cry Sleep Solution. A combo of swaddling, easing my daughter off the breast when she was sleepy, and having her in a pack n play right next to our bed worked at that age. She still needed to nurse at night, so there wasn't much else to do except try to enjoy her first stretch of sleep, which was like 3-5 hours.

my daughter started sleeping through the night at 9 weeks. I was astounded.

My son on the other hand had colic, and i would never wish that on anyone.

New Weave Wendy
Mar 11, 2007

I'm really struggling with sleep with my five month old. He's been a bit frantic about nursing since birth, and really likes to be held, so I've been doing both a lot to comfort him. He nurses to sleep most of the time. He doesn't want to sleep in the crib, the only way that happens is if I put him down completely asleep, then he cries as soon as he wakes up. He does sleep better in the bed with us, but honestly I don't like co-sleeping very much, we have kind of a small bed and I find myself posturing my body in such a way that I get sore joints. He also thrashes around and kicks and punches me in the night. I haven't been sleeping well at all.

We've tried various ways to get him to fall asleep in the crib, but he ends up crying and I don't want to do straight up CIO. He's a pretty happy little guy during the daytime, with the exception of naps. Again, he wants to sleep on or next to me, and he never sleeps more than about thirty minutes for a daytime nap. Any advice would be great.

Do you have the space to sidecar the crib to your bed? Your situation seems pretty similar to ours. My daughter's (and mine and my husband's) sleep improved so much when side carred our crib. Even on nights when she wants to sleep cuddled right next to me there's quite a bit more room for everyone. And some nights she just rolls away and sleeps by herself for a couple hours which is amazing.

flowinprose
Sep 11, 2001

Where were you? .... when they built that ladder to heaven...

AlistairCookie posted:

No blanket at 2.5 is totally overboard. He has had the motor control/muscle ability to remove a blanket from his face for a very long time now. Give the kid a blanket. Besides, it would probably make him feel more secure and comfortable to be covered. That's how my kids are, anyway, now that they're older. (When the three year old was younger, he was just like the toddlers up thread. Would kick that poo poo right off. But now he loves snuggling under his blanket. :))

If your wife's afraid of smothering, does he even have a pillow? Make him up a proper little bed, really.

As for the actual issue at hand, I go through the shadow thing with my three year old. I wouldn't tell him that cow will keep him safe; that reaffirms there's something to fear about the shadows, and that he needs protecting. Encourage him to hug cow to feel better, but he doesn't need protecting from something that can't hurt him.

I go around the room and show my son what's making the shadows with my hand ("See Mommy's hand in the shadow, touching the shadow? It's just your lamp.") We make our own shadows, and wave on the wall, and I just show him again and again and again, every night before I leave his room. Then I remind him he can turn on seahorse anytime he wants to see more light. Get him a seahorse or something that he can control. We go through this routine at his request, and it's not every night anymore; it stopped the multiple wakings of screaming about things in his room.

Kids are people too, and feel better when they have control over themselves. Let him control his bed--blanket or not, he decides. Seahorse on or seahorse off, his choice. Let him choose if he wants to sleep with more stuffed animals. Give him reasonable choices and ask him what he wants. He's 2.5, and has a lot going on in his little head. Ask him why he's afraid, and address those fears specifically. :) My kid thought shadows were alive.

Yeah I have started doing a lot of play with him involving shadows, and he has responded pretty well. He now will "tickle" mommy and daddy's shadows on the wall, and says that shadows are nice. He seems to be getting better. He has still been waking up some at night, but currently I think this is more related to a runny nose he has which is hampering his ability to breathe through his nose which really pisses him off. I didn't really think about telling him the cow would keep him safe would reaffirm his fear, but that is a good point. The seahorse thing or a flashlight/etc in general is a good idea, I will look into that, but I think I will avoid that seahorse for now based on Counselor Sugarbutt's link...

As for the blanket thing, he does have a pillow and has had one for a while, but it has a pillowcase that is pretty tight around it and zipped on the end, so he can't get tangled up or anything in that. I think my wife's fear is mainly that he might toss and turn and end up tangled up in the blanket. Once again, I think this is absurd, but as he seems to be improving without going that route I am not going to push the issue for now.

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009

We've tried various ways to get him to fall asleep in the crib, but he ends up crying and I don't want to do straight up CIO.

I had a similar problem, without the "in our bed" bit - my daughter only fell asleep while nursing (and refused a pacifier), so putting her to bed took ages because like you I had to wait for her to fall asleep in my arms and then try to sneak her into her crib without her waking, if she did, it was rinse and repeat until she finally stayed asleep. The whole thing was ridiculous. We ended up having to do CIO, simply because nothing else worked - having us in there with her just made her more agitated, so eventually we figured that since she cried anyway, we might as well try being in another room while she did it. And that was what worked, it taught her that she could fall asleep without a boob in her mouth, and now she's mostly a great sleeper. I just wanted to mention that to tell you that for some kids, CIO (with regular "we're here, we've not abandoned you" visits, obviously) is what it takes, and that you shouldn't feel bad about having to resort to it if everything else fails. The first two days were awful for me, but knowing that we had tried everything else and that if I went in there, she'd just cry even more and take longer to be settled, helped a lot.

And now she's 10,5 months, and the whole not needing a pacifier-thing is beyond awesome. It's hell when you're in the nursing to sleep-stages, but now I love not having to think about them, and never having to wean her from them. So there's that ;)

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Kyle Schwarber: World Series hero, Beefy Lad, better than you.

Illegal Hen
So I feel like a horrible father.

Everything was going fine until about 7 pm last night when my 5-year-old son wanted to play outside. Ok, fine, no problem. He puttered around in our yard for a while until he saw some neighbor kids riding their bikes. So then of course he had to ride his bike, too.

Due to the overall shittiness of our weather until recently, this is the first time he's ridden on his bike since we put it away in the fall. I was a bit apprehensive because he's grown since then, so I was debating adjusting it, but I figured "eh, he'll be fine for a little bit."

So he rides his bike for a few minutes until he gets to the top of the hill on the side of our house. He wanted to ride down the hill, which is on a dead-end, low-traffic side street. Like an idiot, I figured "no problem."

He rides down for a while, braking sporadically. Then he pedals, gets a head of steam, and for some reason decides to slam on his breaks. He files over the handlebars, falls onto the road with his arms out to break his fall, and he ends up breaking his arm. I knew it immediately because his arm was crooked when he got up and he was of course screaming bloody murder.

So cue a trip to the ER with a hurt and very scared 5-year-old. He's not in as much pain today (thankfully), but I still feel tremendously guilty. He got hurt on MY watch, and I can't get the image of him falling out of my mind. It's like it's playing on a never-ending loop.

I never broke a bone as a kid (still haven't) so I didn't know exactly what to expect. But hearing his terrified and pain-filled screams in the ER broke my heart.

I know it wasn't my fault, but that still doesn't stop me from feeling guilty.

skipdogg
Nov 29, 2004
Resident SRT-4 Expert

I know it's natural to feel guilty about it, but kids are kids and poo poo happens. I broke my arm twice, and had to get stitches once as a kid from doing dumb kid stuff. I never once thought my parents were bad or inattentive. I was being a kid. My oldest slipped when she was a toddler and cut her scalp open pretty good on a table leg. Took 7 staples to close the wound up and now she has a scar where it happened. Wasn't anyone's fault, just an accident, and accidents happen. We did get rid of that table that weekend though....

You did everything you were supposed to, and kiddo learned a lesson on slamming on your brakes like that leads to a bad outcome. Now he has a cool story to tell the kids at school.

skipdogg fucked around with this message at 20:33 on May 22, 2014

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
I've broken my left arm twice and my right arm 5 times. Kids heal really fast. Bones can only take so much. 4 to 6 weeks and he will be out of his cast.

Sorry that happened to him. Just remember he'll be OK. The next trip to the er with a broken bone won't be as traumatic.

jassi007
Aug 9, 2006

mmmmm.. burger...

Retail Slave posted:

So I feel like a horrible father.

Everything was going fine until about 7 pm last night when my 5-year-old son wanted to play outside. Ok, fine, no problem. He puttered around in our yard for a while until he saw some neighbor kids riding their bikes. So then of course he had to ride his bike, too.

Due to the overall shittiness of our weather until recently, this is the first time he's ridden on his bike since we put it away in the fall. I was a bit apprehensive because he's grown since then, so I was debating adjusting it, but I figured "eh, he'll be fine for a little bit."

So he rides his bike for a few minutes until he gets to the top of the hill on the side of our house. He wanted to ride down the hill, which is on a dead-end, low-traffic side street. Like an idiot, I figured "no problem."

He rides down for a while, braking sporadically. Then he pedals, gets a head of steam, and for some reason decides to slam on his breaks. He files over the handlebars, falls onto the road with his arms out to break his fall, and he ends up breaking his arm. I knew it immediately because his arm was crooked when he got up and he was of course screaming bloody murder.

So cue a trip to the ER with a hurt and very scared 5-year-old. He's not in as much pain today (thankfully), but I still feel tremendously guilty. He got hurt on MY watch, and I can't get the image of him falling out of my mind. It's like it's playing on a never-ending loop.

I never broke a bone as a kid (still haven't) so I didn't know exactly what to expect. But hearing his terrified and pain-filled screams in the ER broke my heart.

I know it wasn't my fault, but that still doesn't stop me from feeling guilty.

I stuck my foot in between the spokes of a bike when I was 5, my sister had me on the back of my dads bike, it had one of those weird luggage rack things that old people bikes have, and well yeah. Broke my ankle. Man she was in so much trouble. then when she had a kid of her own, she had one of those toddler seats on the back of her bike, my niece was in it, wiped out, niece broke her arm. She is banned from biking children.

Not that this has anything to do with your incident, but hey, poo poo happens. It was just a broken bone. Hype up the cast, get everyone to sign it, 6 weeks or whatever will fly by and life will go on. Kids break bones, they heal, don't beat yourself up. Every kid has one or more nasty accidents, many involving bicycles, and you can't avoid that. It does suck you literally saw it, but tell yourself this. You were doing all the right parent things, keeping an eye on your kid etc. It allowed you to respond to a serious injury as quickly as you could, and he'll recover 100%.

I hit a kid on a bike right when I started driving. Retarded gently caress flew out of an alley right in front of me. He wasn't badly hurt, but we had cops ambulance etc. I was scared shitless. Kid told the cop his brakes on his bike didn't work so I wasn't cited. His mom knew my mom and was pissed and wanted us to buy him a new bike. My mom told his mom she should have bought him one with working brakes in the first place.

Slo-Tek
Jun 8, 2001

WINDOWS 98 BEAT HIS FRIEND WITH A SHOVEL
Having tried both, I have to recommend having your kids bust themselves up on your watch over getting a call from the school telling you to take your kid to urgent care on account of them getting busted up while you weren't parenting.
Both suck, but at least in your "kid was told, I was watching" scenario, you have answers for most of the coulda-shouldas.
5 year olds heal up like awesome, still all full of stem cells. Almost certainly won't show on senior pictures.

fork bomb
Apr 26, 2010

:shroom::shroom:

Encourage biking again when his arm is healed.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Healed? Why wait that long. Get back on that horse :) OK maybe I'm not the right example to follow here.

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av

Hdip posted:

Healed? Why wait that long. Get back on that horse :) OK maybe I'm not the right example to follow here.

Just think of it as an opportunity tot each him to bike with one hand :v:

AlistairCookie
Apr 1, 2010

I am a Dinosaur
In January, on one of the never ending show days, Number Two son busted Number One son in the lip with the fireplace shovel. They were sword fighting, of course. So I had to shovel the driveway to take everybody to the ER so he could get 3 stitches. ("My brother hit me with a shovel! IN THE FACE!!" "I hit-ed Timmy with a shovel, wight dere!" There were no mysteries for the doctors.) Where was I during ninja/pirate time? In the bathroom. I was pissed, and felt bad. poo poo happens with kids. Retail Slave, don't beat yourself up about it. ;)

Edit: ...snow days...

AlistairCookie fucked around with this message at 22:52 on May 23, 2014

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Maybe Senpai will finally notice me now that I've dropped :fivebux: on this snazzy av
Kids have amazing ability to heal.

A cousin hit my sister in the head with a baseball bat when they were about 4 or 5. Hit her in the middle of the forehead with the end rather than a full on clip fortunately. Knocked a chunk of skin out but it had healed over in a couple days and she didn't even scar.

My own son was fooling around at a table after several warnings and slipped off his chair. He clipped his face on the corner of another table on the way down and put a tooth through his lip. It happened over Christmas and I can't even see the scar any more. When he remembers back now he talks more about the cool ride in the 'ambumans' and how he got his favourite stuffie 'Mr. Turtle' from the doctor.

sweeperbravo
May 18, 2012

AUNT GWEN'S COLD SHAPE (!)

AlistairCookie posted:

In January, on one of the never ending show days

An oddly appropriate typo given the bragging at the hospital :)

OzyMandrill
Aug 12, 2013

Look upon my words
and despair

Slo-Tek posted:

Having tried both, I have to recommend having your kids bust themselves up on your watch over getting a call from the school telling you to take your kid to urgent care on account of them getting busted up while you weren't parenting.
When she was only 2, my daughter broke her arm at nursery. She had the habit of landing on her elbows when she fell, so she did this on concrete while running around in the sunshine & broke her elbow. After a couple of days the pain faded, & it was fun for her having the cast signed and being 'special'.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...
No Alex, don't grab the pineapple, use the fork to grab it! Use the fork!

Uuuuse the Foooorrrrk, Alex! :geno:

:cripes:

Sockmuppet
Aug 15, 2009
Hi! My husband really wants to visit family in another part of the country for a couple of days, but I can't come with because of work. So he has suggested that he can just take baby (who will be 11 months at the time) and go alone, no big deal, right? It's his paternity leave after all, and wouldn't it be nice with a couple of baby-free days for me? And yes, being without baby for more than 24 hours for the first time since she was born does sound nice, but we're still breastfeeding a little (morning, noon and night, but we're down to snacksized feedings, not actual meals), and I'm worried that a couple of days off will be enough for my supply to dry up, even with pumping. I was hoping to keep either the morning or evening nursing going for a few more months (if she wants to, obviously), since I've got the least cuddliest baby ever, except when she's nursing, and I love the quiet snuggle-time we have then.

Does anyone have any experience leaving an 11 months old baby for 2-3 days and how it impacted nursing and other things?
I can absolutely understand my husband wanting to introduce his daughter to a part of his family that has never met her, but I don't think it's important enough to warrant the end of nursing, which I'm worried it will mean. Plus even though baby loves strangers, is super confident and independent and adores her father, I'm worried that she'll freak out about me suddenly not being there, and become more insecure as a result.

(who am I kidding, she probably won't even notice that I'm gone)

But yeah, I basically don't want them to go without me, but I don't know how valid my concerns are. Input?

frenchnewwave
Jun 7, 2012

Would you like a Cuppa?

Sockmuppet posted:

Hi! My husband really wants to visit family in another part of the country for a couple of days, but I can't come with because of work. So he has suggested that he can just take baby (who will be 11 months at the time) and go alone, no big deal, right? It's his paternity leave after all, and wouldn't it be nice with a couple of baby-free days for me? And yes, being without baby for more than 24 hours for the first time since she was born does sound nice, but we're still breastfeeding a little (morning, noon and night, but we're down to snacksized feedings, not actual meals), and I'm worried that a couple of days off will be enough for my supply to dry up, even with pumping. I was hoping to keep either the morning or evening nursing going for a few more months (if she wants to, obviously), since I've got the least cuddliest baby ever, except when she's nursing, and I love the quiet snuggle-time we have then.

Does anyone have any experience leaving an 11 months old baby for 2-3 days and how it impacted nursing and other things?
I can absolutely understand my husband wanting to introduce his daughter to a part of his family that has never met her, but I don't think it's important enough to warrant the end of nursing, which I'm worried it will mean. Plus even though baby loves strangers, is super confident and independent and adores her father, I'm worried that she'll freak out about me suddenly not being there, and become more insecure as a result.

But yeah, I basically don't want them to go without me, but I don't know how valid my concerns are. Input?

I would suspect that if you are diligent about pumping, 2-3 days wouldn't completely dry up your supply. And you could always try building it back up when she returns by extra nursing sessions. But I think your concerns are valid and i wouldn't want to be apart from my baby either :/

Kalenn Istarion
Nov 2, 2012

Sockmuppet posted:

My wife recently went on a surfing trip with a few friends for just over 2 days. Her supply was down when she got back (even with pumping) but it seems to have come back pretty quickly and we're not having any issues.

She also commented profusely about how refreshed she felt after getting a break.

tse1618
May 27, 2008

Cuddle time!
I had to go on a business trip for 2.5 days when my baby was 9-10 months old and even pumping 5x a day it definitely ruined my supply. I was still able to do morning and evening feedings after but even adding in pump sessions at work and extra feedings at home my supply was never the same.

Anya
Nov 3, 2004
"If you have information worth hearing, then I am grateful for it. If you're gonna crack jokes, then I'm gonna pull out your ribcage and wear it as a hat."
Flashback to when I was five months old this weekend. Back then, my older sister dropped me, as she and her best friend were trying to hand me off to the other. Flash forward to yesterday - as I'm at a wedding reception with my younger sister and my 5 month old munchkin, sister and I start talking about the drop incident. I remarked how it would be nice for that not to happen, especially since we are on some nice, sharp rocks. I then hand munchkin to my little sister, who then promptly puts him in a chair. And then he flops over, and falls head first onto the rocks.

All of my siblings hate me. Kid is fine, just a nice bruise and scratches.

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen
KIDDO WITH BROKEN ARM UPDATE:

He doesn't have a cast on yet. He went to see the Orthopedist, and he did not want to put a cast on at this time. Surgery is a possibility because the ER could not get the bone set exactly right. The Orthopedic surgeon did a better job in his office, but it's still not as good as it could be. He goes in for x-rays on thursday morning, and if the surgeon doesn't like what he sees, the OR is booked for noon.

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Ouch that sucks. I've had to have bones set second time and it is not fun. Conversely. My right arm has a bow to it due to the bone not being set properly and also I've broke it to many times. Rebroke/unset my collar bone a week after they set it. That made me see stars.

The last break I had was the first time I've had to have surgery. It was kinda nice to not have a cast and be able to go under water a week afterwards once the stitches came out. Now your son won't miss swimming for the first part of summer.

Which bone did he break btw? Radius is the bone by your thumb. Ulna is the bone by your pinky.

photomikey
Dec 30, 2012

Sockmuppet posted:

This is an odd question, but if the situation were reversed, how would you feel?

BigBallChunkyTime
Nov 25, 2011

Illegal Hen

Hdip posted:

Ouch that sucks. I've had to have bones set second time and it is not fun. Conversely. My right arm has a bow to it due to the bone not being set properly and also I've broke it to many times. Rebroke/unset my collar bone a week after they set it. That made me see stars.

The last break I had was the first time I've had to have surgery. It was kinda nice to not have a cast and be able to go under water a week afterwards once the stitches came out. Now your son won't miss swimming for the first part of summer.

Which bone did he break btw? Radius is the bone by your thumb. Ulna is the bone by your pinky.

The radius. It's a pretty diagonal, jagged break. I'll scan the x-rays from the ER in sometime tomorrow if I remember.

Medical question because I am a medical dummy: If the orthopedic surgeon was able to get it "better, but not where it needs to be" in his office, is there a chance the bone just magically guides itself to where it needs to be? That sounds pretty unlikely to me. I didn't see the x-rays from after when the ortho said it and my wife said that "it looked better than the ER" and that looked ok to me.I'm thinking he'll need surgery.

BigBallChunkyTime fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 26, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
As I understand it. (no medical knowledge here just what I understand from my doctor visits) You can manipulate the bone for the first couple days quite easily. The problem is the more you move the bone the smoother it gets. So jagged is probably good. There are more areas where the bone will stick to itself and hold together the way the doctor wants it too.

For example, when I broke my collarbone. There is no way to cast a collarbone. You can wear a splint or have surgery. So I had a splint and then I unset it a week later. I could feel the bone unsticking from itself. Like pulling apart glue that isn't fully dry yet. When I made it back to the doctor they tried to set it but the bone was to smooth at that point to stay stuck back together. There was no way to hold it there without surgery. End result is my collarbone sticks out on one side. No limit to my motion.

The bone won't straighten itself out in two days. My guess is the surgeon just wants to see if his new set will stick or if it will revert to the set that the ER did.

I had one of my arm breaks put into an old style plaster cast so that the orthopedic surgeon could manipulate the cast with his fingertips and put pressure exactly where he wanted it. Then in a week they x-rayed it to see if the bone stayed. (it did)

When the bone heals it forms a bunch of soft bone that has a bigger diameter than the original bone. This may be noticeable when you first get out of the cast and your arm is super tiny from being in a cast for 6 weeks. As time goes on it becomes more dense and will eventually be the same size as the original bone as it hardens and condenses.