Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
a neurotic ai
Mar 22, 2012

Slo-Tek posted:

The food is sweet, salty, delicious, cheap and plentiful, and there is little or no infrastructure or incentive to walk anywhere, and all the manual labor jobs are done by illegals. Also the work hours are long. Being healthy is for the wealthy. If you are a blue collar schlub, you don't have time or inclination or company to make it to the gym during the work week, and your knees are probably shot from being fat anyway.

The amount of sugar in prepared food is past insane and into hilarious. Had an Azeri exchange student the other year who about flipped her poo poo after a week when she encountered honey mustard. "Your bread is cake, your meat is candied, and even the mustard!"

I understand perfectly the socioeconomic factors that cause obesity.

What I am finding harder to reconcile is the sheer cognitive dissonance they must experience given their physical state. They are supposed to be upstanding Americans who take care of themselves, who stay pure and off the drugs blah blah.

If they are going to champion the realms of personal responsibility and good moral ethics, why does it not click in their heads that they have all mostly failed at one of the most important responsibilities there is. A responsibility to your own health.

They beat that drum of responsibility when an addict is having trouble with cocaine. 'It were all his fault for doing them drugs, that's why he is hosed up and he deserves our scorn'. However, faced with certain health issues they are unable to reflect on themselves and see their own problems?

Actually, I lurk in this thread a lot and I think that is the problem. Freepers lack any self awareness whatsoever.

It's like they are championing the freedom to choose between a bad option and a good option, and then choosing the bad option every single time.

Edit : and yes I agree with your student. American food is absurdly, disgustingly sweet. I cannot tolerate it.

a neurotic ai fucked around with this message at 21:29 on May 16, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mantis42
Jul 26, 2010

I like how they try to cover for the failure of the 'American Spring' protest by saying they would never support overthrowing the US government, even though literally every other thing they post is about overthrowing the US government.

But remember: Revolt is coming.

DOCTOR ZIMBARDO
May 8, 2006
Dropped by after work to see what was up at the White House, only a single rascal scooter towing a giant Texan flag and a bunch of extraordinarily silly looking people.

baw
Nov 5, 2008

RESIDENT: LAISSEZ FAIR-SNEZHNEVSKY INSTITUTE FOR FORENSIC PSYCHIATRY

Slo-Tek posted:

The food is sweet, salty, delicious, cheap and plentiful, and there is little or no infrastructure or incentive to walk anywhere, and all the manual labor jobs are done by illegals. Also the work hours are long. Being healthy is for the wealthy. If you are a blue collar schlub, you don't have time or inclination or company to make it to the gym during the work week, and your knees are probably shot from being fat anyway.

The amount of sugar in prepared food is past insane and into hilarious. Had an Azeri exchange student the other year who about flipped her poo poo after a week when she encountered honey mustard. "Your bread is cake, your meat is candied, and even the mustard!"

Also that food is scientifically formulated in both flavor and texture to override the part of your brain that says "stop eating."

Finnankainen
Oct 14, 2012
Can D.C. survive 'unstoppable' ice melt?

quote:

To: MeshugeMikey

30 freakin degrees this morning.

2 posted on 5/16/2014, 10:27:49 AM by cripplecreek (Remember the River Raisin.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 1 | View Replies]

quote:

The studies say if it happens it’s going to be over 300 years.

Pretty sure if they discover that the sea is rising 5 inches a year they can erect some dikes to save us all.

Chicken Little called. She said never mind.

9 posted on 5/16/2014, 10:30:11 AM by hattend (Firearms and ammunition...the only growing industries under the Obama regime.)

This is potentially the dumbest thing I have ever read. :psyboom:

quote:

That is so stupid.

The water from the melting Antarctic ice sheets is down at the bottom of the world. There is no way it can come uphill so far as to be a threat to Washington DC.

The only way that water could flood DC is if someone turned the world upside down and it all flowed down to Washington.

Some people have no scientific knowledge at all. What idiots!

12 posted on 5/16/2014, 10:31:13 AM by oldbill

quote:

Maybe some Freepers can clarify something for me.

This ice is *already* in the water. Ice is less dense than water so it has a higher volume. So, per Archimedes principle of displacement - when it melts wouldn’t the sea level *lower*???

How is it different than filling a glass to the top with ice, then fill with water to the top...and when the ice melts the water mark falls?

14 posted on 5/16/2014, 10:31:47 AM by fuzzylogic (welfare state = sharing consequences of poor moral choices among everybody)

quote:

To: oldbill

Moochelle jumping in a pool has more risk of a rising water or tsunami than the ice sheets.

23 posted on 5/16/2014, 10:34:42 AM by Resolute Conservative
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 12 | View Replies]

quote:

To: circlecity

Ive just turned on and connected all electrical apparati in the house......plugging in every last Wall Wart Available

27 posted on 5/16/2014, 10:36:37 AM by MeshugeMikey ( "Never, never, never give up". Winston Churchill)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 8 | View Replies]

quote:

What ice melt?

Ice melts and refreezes all the time.

It’s called “physics”. Highly temperature-dependent.

Water is a most peculiar substance. Scientists have devoted lifetimes and whole careers to its study, and water still remains unique among all compounds.

Look it up sometime.

41 posted on 5/16/2014, 10:50:52 AM by alloysteel (Selective and willful ignorance spells doom, to both victim and perpetrator - mostly the perp.)

quote:

To: GGpaX4DumpedTea

Besides with the earth spinning all the water will flow to the equator. LOL

44 posted on 5/16/2014, 10:53:25 AM by cripplecreek (Remember the River Raisin.)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 40 | View Replies]

quote:

I doubt there is enough ice in this ice mass that would raise GLOBAL sea levels by as much as the doom sayers are predicting. If they say the danger is “imminent” and it doesn’t happen will they then shut up???

58 posted on 5/16/2014, 11:20:33 AM by The Great RJ

quote:

Is this question a ploy to make some of us change our views on global warming?

59 posted on 5/16/2014, 11:21:49 AM by pallis
STDH.txt

quote:

To: Gamecock

Here was my argument to my lefty friends whom I had dinner with last night. I asked them to follow the logic. This was funny because people from other tables were interning.

1. In the 70’s we were told if we didn’t stop polluting, there would be an ice age. I asked if they remembered that. Answer was yes.

2. I said, the USA transformed many of its companies to fulfill environmental regulations. Scrubbers, and other tools to reduce Carbon emissions. This was a good thing,yes? Answer was yes.

3. Many of these companies, from steel mills to other manufacturing companies moved overseas because they could no longer compete, and refineries in the US stopped critical upgrades. Again, yes.

At this point, I could tell they were waiting for the bomb to drop.

So, I said. Based on this would it be safe to say that removing additional carbons from the atmosphere warmed us up as it was supposed to do? Some nods.

So then, would it there safe to say that getting rid of even more carbons from the atmosphere would warm the planet even more, perhaps causing global warming?

And finally, I submit to you that environmentalism caused the problem and doing things like Keystone will actually be good for the environment.

My friend, who I have known for years turns to me and says one word... Racist.

67 posted on 5/16/2014, 11:31:56 AM by EQAndyBuzz ("Heck of a reset there, Hillary"S)
[ Post Reply | Private Reply | To 56 | View Replies]

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx
Maybe they're trying to get the world to spin the other way by making every scientist ever roll around in their graves at once. Wow.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc

quote:

quote:

That is so stupid.

The water from the melting Antarctic ice sheets is down at the bottom of the world. There is no way it can come uphill so far as to be a threat to Washington DC.

The only way that water could flood DC is if someone turned the world upside down and it all flowed down to Washington.

Some people have no scientific knowledge at all. What idiots!

12 posted on 5/16/2014, 10:31:13 AM by oldbill

For real, the sea has to rise 7000km to reach the equator. What is that, like a million miles?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kQ6MmhwTcX4

Anonymous was apparently involved in the OAS thing, which is cute. That would explain the Fawkes masks.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

oldbill's post may be the stupidest post I've ever read on the internet. Ever. A triumph for Freep. :fsmug:

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Warmachine posted:

oldbill's post may be the stupidest post I've ever read on the internet. Ever. A triumph for Freep. :fsmug:

quote:

To: oldbill
The sad thing is that your theory is as scientifically valid as theirs.

22 posted on May 16, 2014 at 11:34:33 AM CDT by PTBAA

WarEternal
Dec 26, 2010

Goodness no, now that wouldn't do at all!

Warmachine posted:

Yeah, holy poo poo. No wonder they think global warming is a hoax, they literally do not understand science on any level whatsoever. What kind of jobs do these people have? You always hear them talking about "shoulda gone to school for a real subject, like science!" yet, clearly, none of them are scientists.

ReidRansom
Oct 25, 2004

I dunno, no one can be that stupid. This feels like Poe's law biting you guys in the rear end.

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

ReidRansom posted:

I dunno, no one can be that stupid. This feels like Poe's law biting you guys in the rear end.

quote:

To: oldbill; cripplecreek
Post of the day for this thread! Sometimes sarcasm is so good that it does not require a tag!

Unfortunately the GloBull Goreist’s don’t use the /sarc tag on their voodoo science and they need to be tagged where it hurts, with something like OO.

40 posted on May 16, 2014 at 11:49:24 AM CDT by GGpaX4DumpedTea (I am a Tea Party descendant...steeped in the Constitutional Republic given to us by the Founders)

Mr.Unique-Name
Jul 5, 2002

Warmachine posted:

That post has to be a joke. I refuse to believe anybody is that stupid, my brain won't let me. It would take like 2 seconds of him thinking about what he said to make him wonder why all the people at the equator don't fall to the south pole or get flung into space and realize that his theory makes no sense.

Islam is the Lite Rock FM
Jul 27, 2007

by exmarx

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

That post has to be a joke. I refuse to believe anybody is that stupid, my brain won't let me. It would take like 2 seconds of him thinking about what he said to make him wonder why all the people at the equator don't fall to the south pole or get flung into space and realize that his theory makes no sense.

I took the liberty of pointing out the error in your logic.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013
Someone was asking about police attitudes towards right wing protest. Open Carry protests usually get a lot of cop videos of protesters being arrested and stuff like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8UXEFhyBz4

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g71VfyHiWPA

Vahakyla fucked around with this message at 23:16 on May 16, 2014

Finnankainen
Oct 14, 2012
I don't know. Sure it's absurdly stupid, but it's really not that much farther out there than the idea that Obama is a gay Muslim atheist who's been groomed from a young age to overthrow the United States by Bill Ayers as part of a global conspiracy to destroy freedom and Christianity. Also he's incompetent and can't actually talk without a teleprompter. And this is accepted by literally every single person on that forum.

ColdSnickersBar
Apr 7, 2005

Vahakyla posted:

Someone was asking about police attitudes towards right wing protest. Open Carry protests usually get a lot of cop videos of protesters being arrested and stuff like that.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=S8UXEFhyBz4

Jesus, can you imagine the reaction if OWS were open carrying too?

EDIT: I do just want to say that, the other week I sat down and read about the Ruby Ridge thing. While I hate just about everything about the Weaver family and their politics, it was still pretty hosed up. I was angry mostly because the behavior of the FBI and ATF ensured the existence of many of the Freepers we see today. It's like they did every single thing they could to fire up the ultra conservative crowd and create generations of conspiracy theorists. So, in a way, it's something like an example of law enforcement coming down hard on conservatives protesting.

ColdSnickersBar fucked around with this message at 23:19 on May 16, 2014

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres
Okay, back home and just uploaded 24 photos from OAS. I'm a little embarassed that they're not amazing, since I'm using an iPhone 4S, so no decent zoom at all, and also I was trying to not get too close both for safety and also to be not caught on camera with them unduly. In all seriousness, I have no problem walking about with a big "Legalize Marijuana" petition-board, since technically political advocacy isn't a problem for my clearance, but given that the clearance folks are extremely interested in the question "have you ever been affiliated with an organization which seeks to overthrow the United States Government by force?", I figured OAS gets perilously close to that categorization.

I posted my photo-essay in Gibbis: http://forums.somethingawful.com/showthread.php?threadid=3634898 . If there's anything there better discusses here, feel free to cross-post the photo here.

Vahakyla
May 3, 2013

ColdSnickersBar posted:

Jesus, can you imagine the reaction if OWS were open carrying too?

EDIT: I do just want to say that, the other week I sat down and read about the Ruby Ridge thing. While I hate just about everything about the Weaver family and their politics, it was still pretty hosed up. I was angry mostly because the behavior of the FBI and ATF ensured the existence of many of the Freepers we see today. It's like they did every single thing they could to fire up the ultra conservative crowd and create generations of conspiracy theorists. So, in a way, it's something like an example of law enforcement coming down hard on conservatives.

Yeah. Ruby Ridge was really messed up. A guy who shot a US Deputy Marshal got away with it [As he should've]. That is how hosed up it was that it was considered justified.

Skex
Feb 22, 2012

The great thing about the thousands of slaughtered Palestinian children is that they can't pull away when you fondle them or sniff their hair.

That's a Biden success story.

Ocrassus posted:

They beat that drum of responsibility when an addict is having trouble with cocaine. 'It were all his fault for doing them drugs, that's why he is hosed up and he deserves our scorn'. However, faced with certain health issues they are unable to reflect on themselves and see their own problems?

That's because to conservatives "Personal Responsibility" like rules, exists to be applied to others.

Georgia Peach
Jan 7, 2005

SECESSION IS FUTILE

Mr.Unique-Name posted:

This is old as hell and not from freep, but it's one of my favorite posts ever talking about science.

quote:

One of the most basic laws in the universe is the Second Law of Thermodynamics. This states that as time goes by, entropy in an environment will increase. Evolution argues differently against a law that is accepted EVERYWHERE BY EVERYONE. Evolution says that we started out simple, and over time became more complex. That just isn't possible: UNLESS there is a giant outside source of energy supplying the Earth with huge amounts of energy. If there were such a source, scientists would certainly know about it.

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

Vahakyla posted:

Yeah. Ruby Ridge was really messed up. A guy who shot a US Deputy Marshal got away with it [As he should've]. That is how hosed up it was that it was considered justified.

If something like Ruby Ridge happened again today we might actually see some poo poo from the modern militia movement. Which is, in a nutshell, probably why the DOJ are being so skittish about the Bundy folks.

Sir Tonk
Apr 18, 2006
Young Orc
Does anyone have that picture from Beck 9/12 rally a few years ago of all the white people lined up very respectably in front of the capitol police?

SubponticatePoster
Aug 9, 2004

Every day takes figurin' out all over again how to fuckin' live.
Slippery Tilde

Georgia Peach posted:

This is old as hell and not from freep, but it's one of my favorite posts ever talking about science.
Thank you for this. I have never seen it before and just spent 5 minutes laughing hysterically.

The Rokstar
Aug 19, 2002

by FactsAreUseless
I am honestly surprised at the lack of Confederate flags in those pictures.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

The Rokstar posted:

I am honestly surprised at the lack of Confederate flags in those pictures.

It can't be purely coincidence, I would imagine that either word was spread on their forums or Facebook, and/or that their "Security" teams approached anyone with Rebel flags and told them to stow that poo poo so they wouldn't look backwards. Didn't even see any of the Southern state flags which coincidentally happen to have stars-and-bars.

The flags I saw: regular American, the "III" 3%er American flag, might've been an Old Glory 13-star flag, tons of Gadsen flags ("don't tread on me") on poles, t-shirts, everything. The "Christian flag" you see in one photo, the apparent Anonymous flag, a few state flags (most visibly Maryland's epilepsy-provoking monstrosity), a "Connecticut Militia" flag, Teas flag, and a number of the "Come and Take It" Gonzales flags.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Les Ricains tuent et moi je mue
Mao Mao
Les fous sont rois et moi je bois
Mao Mao
Les bombes tonnent et moi je sonne
Mao Mao
Les bebes fuient et moi je fuis
Mao Mao

TapTheForwardAssist posted:

It can't be purely coincidence, I would imagine that either word was spread on their forums or Facebook, and/or that their "Security" teams approached anyone with Rebel flags and told them to stow that poo poo so they wouldn't look backwards. Didn't even see any of the Southern state flags which coincidentally happen to have stars-and-bars.

The flags I saw: regular American, the "III" 3%er American flag, might've been an Old Glory 13-star flag, tons of Gadsen flags ("don't tread on me") on poles, t-shirts, everything. The "Christian flag" you see in one photo, the apparent Anonymous flag, a few state flags (most visibly Maryland's epilepsy-provoking monstrosity), a "Connecticut Militia" flag, Teas flag, and a number of the "Come and Take It" Gonzales flags.

Isnt having a three percenter flag basically saying "Why yes, I am a nazi."?

Stultus Maximus
Dec 21, 2009

USPOL May

Berke Negri posted:

Not really? It's a reference to a right-wing myth that 3% of colonials actively fought the British government.

Shimrra Jamaane
Aug 10, 2007

Obscure to all except those well-versed in Yuuzhan Vong lore.

Berke Negri posted:

no you're thinking of the 1% biker guys. The 3% thing is supposed to represent the 3% of colonists who actively fought in the Revolution. Not even going into how dubious that number is, they are literally comparing themselves to Revolutionary War soldiers.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

I wonder what the overlap is between pocket constitution toting, three percenting, confederate flag waving, and over throwing the government militia types is. Just a huge fever dream of dissonance that somehow makes a person a 'patriot'.

They probably are all involved in the meth trade too.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

Shimrra Jamaane posted:

no you're thinking of the 1% biker guys. The 3% thing is supposed to represent the 3% of colonists who actively fought in the Revolution. Not even going into how dubious that number is, they are literally comparing themselves to Revolutionary War soldiers.

TapTheForwardAssist
Apr 9, 2007

Pretty Little Lyres

These are the points where I feel genuinely sad that people imagine themselves to be something special, but it's all in their head. Is there a good word (in German?) for empathy at seeing people's illusions crumble, or about to crumble, as they realize that they aren't brave, strong, admirable, loved, etc?

Pirate Radar
Apr 18, 2008

You're not my Ruthie!
You're not my Debbie!
You're not my Sherry!

What, Harry Turtledove made a miniatures game?

MaxxBot
Oct 6, 2003

you could have clapped

you should have clapped!!

Ocrassus posted:

I understand perfectly the socioeconomic factors that cause obesity.

What I am finding harder to reconcile is the sheer cognitive dissonance they must experience given their physical state. They are supposed to be upstanding Americans who take care of themselves, who stay pure and off the drugs blah blah.

If they are going to champion the realms of personal responsibility and good moral ethics, why does it not click in their heads that they have all mostly failed at one of the most important responsibilities there is. A responsibility to your own health.

Americans just have really, really hosed up views about health and fitness. People don't view fitness and eating healthy as something that just has to be done like car maintenance, it's viewed as a luxury or frivolity. When a lot of Americans see a really fit person they actually look down on them as someone who has too much free time that they've "wasted" on exercise rather than focusing on making more money like a real American.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

If I didn't know that people actually had this delusion in real life, I'd think that a pretty cool statuette.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

MaxxBot posted:

Americans just have really, really hosed up views about health and fitness. People don't view fitness and eating healthy as something that just has to be done like car maintenance, it's viewed as a luxury or frivolity. When a lot of Americans see a really fit person they actually look down on them as someone who has too much free time that they've "wasted" on exercise rather than focusing on making more money like a real American.

N-not really? Unless you mean someone who is jacked then yes, they probably have a lot of free time. Gym membership/being in healthy shape is pretty reliable signaling in American culture that you're not perceived poor.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Well it's also mixed with a weird envy-denial coating. "I could be that skinny too if I could afford to go to a gym" they say, having given up on their perennial lose weight resolution by February.

Berke Negri
Feb 15, 2012

Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao
Mao Mao

America's bi-polar body issue complex would deserve a thread of its own (ideal is unrealistic for most but everyone is unhealthy sacks of poo poo who aren't even close to acceptable weight levels) and its probably only going to get worse as the revitalization of inner cities takes a privileged bent in that only people with wealth/high incomes can enjoy a more pedestrian/cyclist healthy lifestyle while the poor are shunted off to the abandoned housing bubble suburbs of yesteryear for fast food and long commutes and little options or incentive to be healthy and active. But that's a derail.

Freepers are all fat rascal drivers because theyre all mental disability recipients or retirees.

Acquilae
May 15, 2013

Shugojin posted:

Well it's also mixed with a weird envy-denial coating. "I could be that skinny too if I could afford to go to a gym" they say, having given up on their perennial lose weight resolution by February.
Also looking at fitness "celebrities" and making the retarded excuse that they could totally look like that if they spent all day in the gym, had a personal trainer, and chef cooking properly balanced meals for them every day. Overweight Americans can't even handle being criticized for their terrible health; even doctors telling them to eat healthy or lose some weight automatically sends them into mouthfoam mode and/or crying about being fat shamed.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

baw posted:

Also that food is scientifically formulated in both flavor and texture to override the part of your brain that says "stop eating."

Exactly like food in the rest of the developed world.

• Locked thread