Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?
It's okay, Doc, we're all mad here.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cryophage
Jan 14, 2012

what the hell is that creepy cartoon thing in your avatar?
Zane is facing left as he browbeats the doctor. Is the left/right facing bit still a thing?

Zereth
Jul 9, 2003

Cryophage posted:

Zane is facing left as he browbeats the doctor. Is the left/right facing bit still a thing?
Probably not, one of them has to be facing left if the other is facing right.

Well, I mean it doesn't apply to both, but notice how the Doc stars off facing left and ends up facing right when he faces the reality of the issue.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

Cryophage posted:

I doubt that Kris would've told us about it if it was still happening.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Man, Zane's gonna dehydrate soon if he doesn't stop sweating.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

I'm sure this will turn out fine.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

This won't end with them both remembering they were involved with something horrible.

Nope.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

Woo, finished catching up last weekend and now I'm on the edge of my seat for every new page. The atmosphere is awesome.

pumpinglemma
Apr 28, 2009

DD: Fondly regard abomination.

So Zane went with Maurice into the woods, Maurice was found dead, and Zane lost all memory of what happened. Now Klaus wants to go with Zane into the woods, in a comic titled "Repeatability". This can only end well.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I had a beer once with Stephen Miller and now I like him.

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
How many more comics do you guys think will pass before Maris is "Out of town for a couple of days".

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

The pinnacle of cloud computing.

Crain posted:

How many more comics do you guys think will pass before Maris is "Out of town for a couple of days".

He's just helping Iris' dad with a few things, nothing to worry about.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I still don't get why Zane is convinced he did it when he has drawings of the worms coming out of the forest in his notebook apparently, found the notebook but found no apparent weapon at his place (nor was there one at the scene which he saw), and knows that Maris was a great big dude who could've broken him in two even if he waited and surprised him, nevermind that from his notes other than his investigation into his memory loss he seems to act like he usually does in his 'lost' time.

I mean maybe he thinks the worms in the book are a hallucination or something, but I'd have a hard time thinking anyone in the same situation would jump to the conclusion they stabbed a dude to death for no reason and somehow didn't even get defensive wounds.

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

nimby posted:

He's just helping Iris' dad with a few things, nothing to worry about.

I wonder if she'll reforget that, or if it's just the supernatural event that fades and re-remembering it in a non-supernatural context means it'll stick.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream

MikeJF posted:

I wonder if she'll reforget that, or if it's just the supernatural event that fades and re-remembering it in a non-supernatural context means it'll stick.
Everyone remembers that the previous Zane is dead, so maybe it's just remembering the circumstances that's the issue.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Fabricated posted:

I still don't get why Zane is convinced he did it when he has drawings of the worms coming out of the forest in his notebook apparently, found the notebook but found no apparent weapon at his place (nor was there one at the scene which he saw), and knows that Maris was a great big dude who could've broken him in two even if he waited and surprised him, nevermind that from his notes other than his investigation into his memory loss he seems to act like he usually does in his 'lost' time.

I mean maybe he thinks the worms in the book are a hallucination or something, but I'd have a hard time thinking anyone in the same situation would jump to the conclusion they stabbed a dude to death for no reason and somehow didn't even get defensive wounds.

I'm 95% sure he didn't kill Maris, but consider the following:

Those are probably drawings of his nightmares. He forgot all about the previous murder-ghost (who he apparently also wrote about, so this forgetting was already happening while we were following him in the comic at the start). Plus, even a big dude is going to fall over like a sack of meat if hit on the head hard enough.

Zane is paranoid at the best of times, give him a vague hint of something benign and he'll imagine it is going to be the worst thing possible for himself.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

Fabricated posted:

Well besides, his utter paranoia about everything. He might personally not be 100% convinced that he did it, but he's certainly right to be worried about what anyone else would think if they saw those pages. Maris was murdered in the woods, the journal admits he went to the woods at night with Maris, the last two pages are covered in blood. That would certainly raise some red flags if other people saw them.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

All bets on Doc being the next murder?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

I kinda doubt it, but maybe. But it seems to me that the comic has one primary and two main secondary characters, and it seems early to kill one off.

Then again, Straub's already shown he'll be deliberately loving with narrative and pacing, so he may well do something like that to throw us off our game.

MikeJF fucked around with this message at 11:33 on May 23, 2014

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I know the answer is "because then there's no story" but you kinda have to wonder why Zane doesn't just sell off the shop, pocket the money, and get the gently caress out of this weird town that is making him forget murders and being attacked by flesh-ripping zombie ghosts. I mean, getting his inheritance cleared up and transferred to his name kept him in town for the first book. He doesn't have a great reason to stick around now other than solving the obviously incredibly dangerous Scooby-Doo mystery.

Zane's not really a totally rational actor, but he's afraid of the correct things.

Dr Pepper
Feb 4, 2012

Don't like it? well...

Because the town has him now, duh.

It won't let him leave.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

Fabricated posted:

I know the answer is "because then there's no story" but you kinda have to wonder why Zane doesn't just sell off the shop, pocket the money, and get the gently caress out of this weird town that is making him forget murders and being attacked by flesh-ripping zombie ghosts. I mean, getting his inheritance cleared up and transferred to his name kept him in town for the first book. He doesn't have a great reason to stick around now other than solving the obviously incredibly dangerous Scooby-Doo mystery.

He's sticking around because he doesn't remember the zombie ghost or the general anxiety he felt when first arriving. Plus Iris.

girl dick energy
Sep 30, 2009

You think you have the wherewithal to figure out my puzzle vagina?

Fabricated posted:

Zane's not really a totally rational actor, but he's afraid of the correct things.
As others have said, I suspect the effect the town has on making people forget the tragedies also makes them forget why they'd ever want to leave.

ColdPie
Jun 9, 2006

It's not like he was doing better before he left for Broodhollow.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Zane won't leave Broodhollow because even otherworldly demonic creatures are better than poverty.

Also all those other reasons.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

And back to Iris.

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

"Um, also how long has Planchett been standing behind us? I spotted him about five minutes ago and he's still back there"

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

His thought process: "Try to one-up MY generous offer to pay for the funeral, eh? I'll show them!"

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Iris is getting rather snippy.

Matlock Birthmark
Sep 24, 2005

I wanted this to happen!!
Soiled Meat

So, now I'm wondering if Mr's Louck's family wasn't struck by a car at all.

How many Broodhollow regulars lose family members in out of town accidents do you suppose?

wdarkk
Oct 26, 2007

Friends: Protected
World: Saved
Crablettes: Eaten
I'm wondering if their families are dead at all.

idonotlikepeas
May 29, 2010

This reasoning is possible for forums user idonotlikepeas!
Well, we know Iris' dad is just out of town for a couple of days.

nimby
Nov 4, 2009

idonotlikepeas posted:

Well, we know Iris' dad is just out of town for a couple of days.

Right now he's dead. Broodhollow is just waiting for the new season to start to reboot their memories and have him be "alive" again.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

I also tried to ban someone from a Discord for pointing out what an unrelenting shithead I am! I'm even dumb enough to think it worked!
Theory post: The town feeds off of those living in it. Once a generation comes of age to run the town the last generation starts getting "eaten". Iris's father, Zane's uncle, Maris, Mrs. Louck's family have all be absorbed by the town. This "cleaning" holiday is when those of the previous generation are taken and when spring comes the town makes everyone forget so as to keep it's food supply from running away. Also I'm thinking the mayor is on the list of who's going to be taken as well.

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
I'm more along the lines on the mayor being in on it if he knows it or not. The hollow face events probably really happened, with the shocker at the end being whatever was done to Zane to make him forget.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Crain posted:

Theory post: The town feeds off of those living in it. Once a generation comes of age to run the town the last generation starts getting "eaten". Iris's father, Zane's uncle, Maris, Mrs. Louck's family have all be absorbed by the town. This "cleaning" holiday is when those of the previous generation are taken and when spring comes the town makes everyone forget so as to keep it's food supply from running away. Also I'm thinking the mayor is on the list of who's going to be taken as well.

I don't think that's it. Why would Harker go out of his way to attack Zane if they were targeting the old of Broodhollow? Unless Harker's uninvolved with the bigger forces. I think there's probably just a number of crazy supernatural forces surrounding Broodhollow, like a prohibition-era Nightvale, and Zane's just a magnet for all of them.

Crain
Jun 27, 2007

Lance Streetman posted:

Why would Harker go out of his way to attack Zane if they were targeting the old of Broodhollow?

Well Zane was still a new force in the first book. A potential source of problems for the powers that be maybe. After the main events of book 1 "they" decided to integrate Zane into the fold instead of trying to remove him.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
I'm suspect sure there's a distinct cause of the forgetting effect, and that incidentally turns broodhollow into a perfect hunting ground for all manner of supernatural jerks.

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

Buzz off, Planchett.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Planchett is totally gonna bite it if he pisses off Mrs. "we just don't realize we're all going to die just like we did in the good old days" Isquith.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Chard
Aug 24, 2010

I'm fixin' to paste Planchett right in his smarmy mug, bargin' in like that on the ladies' collection visit. That cheap suit's a travesty. For a fella going on about "respecting this" and "honorin' that" he's got a tin ear for what people really think, not ta mention bad fashion sense. No class at all that fella.

• Locked thread