Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Wiseblood
Dec 31, 2000

Samiz posted:

Speaking of Brits, what are your opinions on the Yogscast and their videos?

I enjoy Hannah's stuff on their Yogscast2 channel. Not really a fan of the stuff they put out on their main channel.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I think something's wrong with my computer. Try watching a chipcheezum video, I'm getting the feeling that videos that aren't partnered with Youtube aren't playable anymore.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?

Samiz posted:

Does Raocow still make only rom hack videos? Or has he started doing let's plays of other games?

He almost entirely does not play commercial games.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
So slowbeef and Diabetus. If you ever decide to look for another one of those Sword of Vermillion type videos....well, look no more!

Shadow Hog
Feb 23, 2014

BMS posted:

So slowbeef and Diabetus. If you ever decide to look for another one of those Sword of Vermillion type videos....well, look no more!
Personally, I want to remember what the hell video it was I borrowed this clip from (for NeoGAF's "Real next gen box art?" thread):

heytallman
Aug 30, 2013

Is not actually tall.
http://mynintendonews.com/2014/05/21/nintendo-and-pdp-partner-for-gamecube-style-controller-for-smash-bros-wii-u/

I saw this article and almost had a heart attack, thinking PewDiePie was behind this. How could something people have dreamed for for so long come from someone so offensive? And then I realized the company had the unfortunate name of PDP, and I felt better about life.

Also, I know this doesn't really count as Let's Play, but there's a review show a friend showed me, that later kept popping up on my recommended. They're called Game Sack and they're pretty solid, would recommend checking them out. Each episode has a theme and usually at least 4 games get talked about each time.

Kytrarewn
Jul 15, 2011

Solving mysteries in
Bb, F and D.
Leaving this here: http://youtu.be/88B7Q6_1Roc

I haven't fully sorted my thoughts, except insofar as my feelings that the announcer is annoying and that 30 person EU4 is a pretty cool idea that barely works even when they're all on company PCs on the same LAN.

Still, it's a novel and fun (if extremely inefficient, in terms of man-hours per mechanic revelation) idea.

I just really can't imagine getting through 20 some-odd hours of it.

Jobbo_Fett
Mar 7, 2014

Slava Ukrayini

Clapping Larry

Kytrarewn posted:

Leaving this here: http://youtu.be/88B7Q6_1Roc

I haven't fully sorted my thoughts, except insofar as my feelings that the announcer is annoying and that 30 person EU4 is a pretty cool idea that barely works even when they're all on company PCs on the same LAN.

Still, it's a novel and fun (if extremely inefficient, in terms of man-hours per mechanic revelation) idea.

I just really can't imagine getting through 20 some-odd hours of it.

Personally, I really enjoy that sort of multiplayer experience. You can get into some really big alliances or rivalries with other players and it can end up having all the backstabbing and unexpected turn of events that a good drama can bring.

It would make for a cool lan party, with players who get knocked out going to other, faster-paced games. Then again, it helps if you enjoy long (board) games like Axis and Allies.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

watho
Aug 2, 2013

The real world will, again tomorrow, function and run without me.

25k subscribers?
:laffo:

TheMcD
May 4, 2013

Monaca / Subject N 2024
---------
Despair will never let you down.
Malice will never disappoint you.

PewDiePie 2: Pie Harder?

I can't even begin to fathom what I should even think of when I hear "PewDiePie 2". Is it an updated version? A sequel?

Also, I love the little "I'M NOT PEWDIEPIE" at the end. That's just fantastic.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

heytallman posted:

http://mynintendonews.com/2014/05/21/nintendo-and-pdp-partner-for-gamecube-style-controller-for-smash-bros-wii-u/

I saw this article and almost had a heart attack, thinking PewDiePie was behind this. How could something people have dreamed for for so long come from someone so offensive? And then I realized the company had the unfortunate name of PDP, and I felt better about life.

If PDP is causing you heart attacks you're probably taking this whole thing too seriously. PDP is man, makes videos, you are not target audience of videos.

Bobbin Threadbare
Jan 2, 2009

I'm looking for a flock of urbanmechs.

TheMcD posted:

I can't even begin to fathom what I should even think of when I hear "PewDiePie 2". Is it an updated version? A sequel?

"I want my channel to balloon up by taking advantage of PewDiePie's most oblivious subscribers. PewDiePie being the person who I am not."

Sally
Jan 9, 2007

Don't post Small Dash!

Amppelix posted:

If PDP is causing you heart attacks you're probably taking this whole thing too seriously. PDP is man, makes videos, you are not target audience of videos.

Yeah, I don't know what hyperbole is either.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

TheMcD posted:

SelenicMartian
Sep 14, 2013

Sometimes it's not the bomb that's retarded.

PDP 2 - Double the fisting.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
I really shouldn't be amazed that people are that stupid, but.. well..

sout
Apr 24, 2014

The rest of his stuff seems to be anti-PS4 videos, one of which is just him laughing for a minute.

IceAgeComing
Jan 29, 2013

pretty fucking embarrassing to watch
please don't mock my youtube channel in this thread please

Mr DJB
Nov 1, 2009

I will devour your soul while you sleep...
Well poo poo, I can watch Attack on Titan on PewDiePie 2's channel? That's way better than anything from PewDiePie 1!

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Mr DJB posted:

Well poo poo, I can watch Attack on Titan on PewDiePie 2's channel? That's way better than anything from PewDiePie 1!

Sometimes sequels are loads better than the original.

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
For those who like his stuff, NsN is starting a Human Revolution Ironman run.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Who is NsN and what does it mean when he does an Ironman run of a game?

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010

Clockwork Rocktapus posted:

Who is NsN and what does it mean when he does an Ironman run of a game?

Sorry, I ought to have explained.

NsN stands for Nanosuit Ninja. Basically, he does one-life playthroughs of games: if he dies, he deletes the save and has to start from the beginning. It's a skill-based playthrough, so he's less concerned about showing off the game like in a traditional LP. If that's your thing, I recommend checking out his stuff.

He plays the Crysis games on the hardest difficulty level and makes it look easy.

Kermit The Grog
Mar 29, 2010
Does he cut it down to just the winning run or are all the failed runs left in?

The Evil Thing
Jul 3, 2010
I haven't watch all of his stuff, but I haven't seen him die yet. On the other hand, I don't get the impression that he pre-records either. As far as I can tell, he's just really good (and lucky).

Kreittis
Jan 7, 2010

Foxhound? Houndfox.

The Evil Thing posted:

He plays the Crysis games on the hardest difficulty level and makes it look easy.

He actually plays Crysis games with custom difficulty that is a bit harder than the default hardest.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Remember this? Turns out the dude's a loving creepy PUA! Shock and awe!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFipODZte9I

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Mr DJB posted:

Well, it's the dub so I wouldn't go that far

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
Look man, all Attack on Titan has going for it is the wacky food girl and I'd still rather watch it than PewDiePie.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless
So here's a thing RSCNyx pointed out to me just now.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/27/nintendo-revenue-sharing/

Apparently, Nintendo is (attempting) to implement a "tax", essentially, on YouTube LP's featuring Nintendo content. Basically allowing LPers to keep making a little bit of revenue off the ads, while Nintendo gets a chunk as well. Also, according to the article, that's only for LPers that "sign up" for this program.

While the article doesn't mention the LPers that DON'T sign up, given the context one can only imagine that it'll just be a straight up Content ID Match (No ad-revenue whatsoever to the LPer).

It was just a matter of time before a company such as Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo decided on a way to reach their hands into the money being made from this gig.

Personally, I think the actual company in charge of the content can do whatever they want regarding this, and Nintendo is actually being pretty lenient, as they could simply Content ID it instead, and take ALL the revenue. Not going to be surprised a bit if the other of the Big 3 don't follow suit in some fashion. Or am I wrong in thinking this?

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

BMS posted:

So here's a thing RSCNyx pointed out to me just now.

http://www.engadget.com/2014/05/27/nintendo-revenue-sharing/

Apparently, Nintendo is (attempting) to implement a "tax", essentially, on YouTube LP's featuring Nintendo content. Basically allowing LPers to keep making a little bit of revenue off the ads, while Nintendo gets a chunk as well. Also, according to the article, that's only for LPers that "sign up" for this program.

While the article doesn't mention the LPers that DON'T sign up, given the context one can only imagine that it'll just be a straight up Content ID Match (No ad-revenue whatsoever to the LPer).

It was just a matter of time before a company such as Sony, Microsoft, or Nintendo decided on a way to reach their hands into the money being made from this gig.

Personally, I think the actual company in charge of the content can do whatever they want regarding this, and Nintendo is actually being pretty lenient, as they could simply Content ID it instead, and take ALL the revenue. Not going to be surprised a bit if the other of the Big 3 don't follow suit in some fashion. Or am I wrong in thinking this?

This is actually pretty interesting, because Nintendo had announced a while ago that they were automatically using the Content ID on every single video they could on YouTube, and then followed through pulling all ad revenue. A lot of people wanted something like this as a compromise, and I think it's pretty great that it's actually happening.

Edit: Wrong word, wrong connotation, better sentence. I'm an idiot and shouldn't post while half awake.

Onean fucked around with this message at 06:47 on May 29, 2014

Dr. Buttass
Aug 12, 2013

AWFUL SOMETHING
This is a sound move by Nintendo but I think you're probably wrong in thinking that Microsoft and Sony are going to follow suit. They're not exactly known for their stellar public relations at the best of times and the more you involve money in the proceedings the worse they get. If they try to do anything even remotely like this they're like 99.9% certain to demand all the beans. Every last one. Even the tiny little guys too small to care about must bow or be blasted into submission.

bobjr
Oct 16, 2012

Roose is loose.
🐓🐓🐓✊🪧

If most game companies did do that I wonder how many of the bigger money makers would look for something different, like move exclusively to companies that don't affect revenue one bit, and how many would try and fight it.

Azran
Sep 3, 2012

And what should one do to be remembered?
I've been watching Marshall Dyer (https://www.youtube.com/user/Totalgamefreak) lately, mostly while playing games myself. It's weird, because for some reason I just like the guy. He edits stuff, he never screams, no face cam and he doesn't try to be funny all the time. At worst, it's great white noise even though his videos tend to be an hour long and he sometimes misses basic gameplay stuff/doesn't know the games he plays that much. Like forgetting what a recurring enemy is called or how to use a grenade in Metro Last Light, just minor stuff. He is a really chill dude and I've enjoyed his Kshatriya and Misery playthroughs.

Just wanted to share, really. :) I think I found him after looking around for Stalker Misery 2.1 LPs for pointers.

Onean
Feb 11, 2010

Maiden in white...
You are not one of us.

bobjr posted:

If most game companies did do that I wonder how many of the bigger money makers would look for something different, like move exclusively to companies that don't affect revenue one bit, and how many would try and fight it.

As I understand it right now, if your video gets hit by Content ID and you're running ads, the Content ID owner can choose to route 100% of the ad revenue to themselves. If you're not running ads and you get hit, then ads may be added to the video by the discretion of the owner of the Content ID and 100% of the revenue goes to them as well. Snatching ad revenue with Content ID is not required, so most companies like Blizzard and Mojang allow people to upload videos without having to worry, but there's the odd apple here and there and some that are okay with posting videos as long as you don't monetize them. For those that are curious about which they are, or have been hit by a questionable Content ID, you should take a look at WhoLetsPlay's wiki page to see what each one's stance is, any requirements and a link to the source for the information.

As for trying to fight it, just take a look at the Content ID issues from this past December and you'll see that there was a lot of noise about it, but I don't know if it was addressed or just died down.

All of my information is second hand, so I don't have all of the information and there's a good chance I misunderstood something somewhere, but that's what I gathered from last December.

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

Fun Shoe

Onean posted:

This is actually pretty interesting, because Nintendo had announced a while ago that they were automatically using the Content ID on every single video they could on YouTube, and then followed through pulling all ad revenue. A lot of people wanted something like this as a compromise, and I think it's pretty great that it's actually happening.

The same people that wanted this as a compromise are now complaining about Nintendo actually following through.

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

Suspicious Dish posted:

The same people that wanted this as a compromise are now complaining about Nintendo actually following through.

"B-but my unique brand of screaming LPs have earned me mega interweb bucks and Nintendo want part of my profits just cause they own the games? Nintendo is stealing my money :arghfist:"

So these sort of complaints, right?

Roar
Jul 7, 2007

I got 30 points!

I GOT 30 POINTS!
So am I the only person who saw the "GET REVENUE BUX" option on Youtube and didn't turn it on based on principle? Like, it's not my game and I can lay claim to literally nothing but my sexy goddamned voice, so why should I get money for displaying my game?

Granted I'm barely even in the lowest tier of possible revenue making but still the point stands.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lazyfire
Feb 4, 2006

God saves. Satan Invests

Roar posted:

So am I the only person who saw the "GET REVENUE BUX" option on Youtube and didn't turn it on based on principle? Like, it's not my game and I can lay claim to literally nothing but my sexy goddamned voice, so why should I get money for displaying my game?

Granted I'm barely even in the lowest tier of possible revenue making but still the point stands.

Yeah, I didn't do it for the longest time, but then I tried a bit of an experiment and did turn it on and monetized my old videos and with the LP I was doing at the time I would monetize the previous video as the next one came out.

I made no money and my socialblade page suggests I would have potentially earned $550 to $1000 if I had always been monetized, so I'm just a facecam and incomprehensible yelling away from riches I think.

• Locked thread