Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

The way I'm reading the post, his point is more about how the marriage was poorly planned since the beginning, he gives his reason of this (the DC's editorial standpoint part)and closes with the reason on why Anderyko was brought to write the title. Of course there's more to the book than the marriage issue but is the main thing brought when talking about Batwoman nowadays.

The thing is that he doesn't really. He says it was poorly planned largely because it was against DC's editorial fiat of "no marriage except for marriage."

In addition he argues from the viewpoint (again, of DC Editorial) that Batwoman had to be brought 'in' to the rest of the universe and that it was somehow a mistake or wrong for it not to be engaged in the multi-issue megacrossover bullshit that so frequently derails other books. Animal Man itself is a fantastic example of why taking a good story and forcing it into megacrossoverville is a terrible idea but one that DC editorial refuses to keep flogging because they can't figure out any other way to sell books.

I don't disagree that his arguments match what DC Editorial thinks, but the problem I have is that "what DC editorial thinks" isn't a really good excuse.

ImpAtom fucked around with this message at 06:31 on May 15, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

ImpAtom posted:

I don't disagree that his arguments match what DC Editorial thinks, but the problem I have is that "what DC editorial thinks" isn't a really good excuse.

Of course isn't but you can't really get anything better with DC Editorial right now :v:

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?
I am sorry but that is really the right hand not knowing what the left is doing. He had to get permission for the engagement and the it had to be drawn, which would have been a while due to the artists speed. At that point when the issue was released it suddenly became no marriage for you. Also weren't they using Croc and then suddenly told they couldn't?

Mr. Maltose
Feb 16, 2011

The Guffless Girlverine
An editorial fiat that they seem to think was written in stone for all books for all time, much like Batman sitting and if Superman had ever died. They never acknowledge the real actual chance that Batwoman was okay'd to be married until she wasn't because DC cut open a bull and the spleen was looking a bit shoddy.

Also holy poo poo "Lobdell can't get enough praise for" putting together the Red Hood team. Is this you? Did you link us your blog?

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Mr. Maltose posted:

Also holy poo poo "Lobdell can't get enough praise for" putting together the Red Hood team. Is this you? Did you link us your blog?

HA! I wish, I suck at writing long things on english :pseudo:

Superstring
Jul 22, 2007

I thought I was going insane for a second.

Dude, that is a terrible blog. It's one thing to be a fan, but when someone starts arguing that the failure of Green Lantern movie is actually a good thing for Warner Bros. then they've drunk the Kool-Aid.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I really liked Green Lantern :colbert:

Space_Butler
Dec 5, 2003
Fun Shoe
I am broken because I'm kind of enjoying Future's End in that "hosed up, poor man's days of future past which will be undone anyway so go hogwild" way.

I'm sure things will change as the air of mystery about these missing 5 years are filled in with idiocy, but in the meantime I'm genuinely curious about the faceless Superman, why everyone has some drastic costume change, and how everything got so thoroughly messed up beyond "there was a war with Earth 2".

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I hope they keep the Ollie becoming a social justice defender with a van dyke and a tunic part of the inbetween years. If we need to blow up Earth 2 to do it, so be it.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

And I'm having a good laugh at how they veily suggest that Doomsday already killed Superman without saying it :haw:

Weren't they pretty darn explicit about it here? I like how they put a mullet on the past meeting Doomsday.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 08:24 on May 15, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
I just read the first three issues of Doomed and is pretty drat good. I'm not a fan of the direction they're taking Doomsday but I have to admit is an interesting one and for all the poo poo you're giving about Superman not being heroic enough is pretty obvious that a big theme of the story will be Superman goodness overcoming Doomsday's influence.

And I'm having a good laugh at how they veily suggest that Doomsday already killed Superman without saying it :haw:

Future's End was also really good (miles ahead of Eternal's bullshit) and it got me really curious about the whole war with Earth 2.

Edit: Oh, I got a new avatar. I'm gonna miss the old one :smith:

Dark_Tzitzimine fucked around with this message at 18:38 on May 15, 2014

Shameless
Dec 22, 2004

We're all so ugly and stupid and doomed.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Future's End was also really good

You are a deeply strange person.

Senor Candle
Nov 5, 2008

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

:allears: :allears: :allears:

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Future's End was also really good

Okay so, I know that technically it should be impossible, but you have incorrect opinions. Congrats, I guess.

EDIT: Phone posting is hard sometimes.

ZenMasterBullshit fucked around with this message at 22:33 on May 15, 2014

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Okay so, I know that technically shouldn't impossible, but you have incorrect opinions. Congrats, I guess.

I think this might even qualify as a failure of the Voight-Kampff test.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
DT just lives on Earth-3 where those things are amazing works of art and their connection is somehow skipping dimensions.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010
I too read Doomed because I haven't read any Superman in a really long time and the story isn't too bad to be honest.

What is bad is DCs constant loving "grim and gritty" push. You can practically see editors whispering in writers' ears, "Can't more people die?"

Doomsday kills thousands of people by burning them all alive and then kills "millions" of animals, putting "wildebeest on the endangered species list".

Like god drat it DC, can't you just reign it back for one loving second?

I do love the hell out of Luthor being on the Justice League now though.

FilthyImp
Sep 30, 2002

Anime Deviant

E the Shaggy posted:

What is bad is DCs constant loving "grim and gritty" push. You can practically see editors whispering in writers' ears, "Can't more people die?"

Like god drat it DC, can't you just reign it back for one loving second?
I kinda saw something similar in the Kanye Westish Mr. Terriffic over in Future's End.

The characterization is novel,but do we need more rear end in a top hat superheroes? Plus you gotta laugh at someone talking poo poo about the justice league (DC really knows how to build its brands, huh).

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

September Futures End month creative teams and a lot of the covers.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05...own-as-batgirl/

No Geoff Johns, two Sholly Fisch's, three Jeff Lemire's, four Charles Soule's and half a dozen artists on Booster Gold.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 19:41 on May 16, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich
That Constantine cover is pretty sweet, Grayson looks kind of :downs: and

quote:

RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS: FUTURES END #1

Writer: Scott Lobdell
Penciller: Scott Kolins
Inker: Scott Kolins
Cover: Giuseppe Camuncoli

:livintrope:

God loving Dammit DC, is too much to ask for a permanent penciller? :smith:

TwoPair
Mar 28, 2010

Pandamn It Feels Good To Be A Gangsta
Grimey Drawer

Teenage Fansub posted:

September Futures End month creative teams and a lot of the covers.

http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/05...own-as-batgirl/

No Geoff Johns, two Sholly Fisch's, three Jeff Lemire's, four Charles Soule's and half a dozen artists on Booster Gold.

DC has finally perfected Bad GIF cover technology?

redbackground
Sep 24, 2007

BEHOLD!
OPTIC BLAST!
Grimey Drawer

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

Good luck finding that anywhere these days.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

redbackground posted:

Good luck finding that anywhere these days.

I know but DC's giving Red Hood a new penciller nearly every issue, and the one penciller did stick was AWFUL.

Codependent Poster
Oct 20, 2003

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I know but DC's giving Red Hood a new penciller nearly every issue, and the one penciller did stick was AWFUL.

I think you care about this series more than anyone at DC. Why don't you apply to be editor for it?

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That Constantine cover is pretty sweet, Grayson looks kind of :downs: and

:livintrope:

Practically none of the books have their regular artists. A lot don't have their regular writers.
And Kolins has his moments.

I'll take Soule/Rags as the new Wonder Woman team for good if they've got nothing else to do :)

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 16, 2014

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Who's that on the cover of World's Finest? A new Powergirl and Huntress?

TwoPair posted:

I hope next year's gimmick month includes embedded MIDIs.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

I like how in the "dark future" version of the Power Girl/Huntress image, Power Girl is replaced by a black woman and that is how you know it is ALL WRONG.

E the Shaggy
Mar 29, 2010

TwoPair posted:

Yep and people loving eat it up. Villains Month was New 52's GREATEST SALES SUCCESS.

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

Is anyone else a fan of Azzarello's Wonder Woman? I got volume 3 and decided to reread the first two for a refresher. I honestly don't know what to think about it. Mainly because my displeasure of DCs grim dark direction is becoming a massive psychotic loving hatred. I feel like he is trying to tear down everything that makes Wonder Woman shine, if that makes sense. How Amazons are born, Hephaestus saying the lasso is not magical. (Though the wedding with Hades says otherwise) plus just regular over the top blood and guts.

Although I do like WWs new origin and the only reason it works is that it is a key part to the plot. Maybe when I finish this run I'll go back to Rucka's and dig into Perez's. It feels like there aren't as many GREAT Wonder Woman Stories out there.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Wonder Woman is the only DC title I'm reading, so yeah, I like it.

aroundtheback
Apr 4, 2013

BigRed0427 posted:

Is anyone else a fan of Azzarello's Wonder Woman? I got volume 3 and decided to reread the first two for a refresher. I honestly don't know what to think about it. Mainly because my displeasure of DCs grim dark direction is becoming a massive psychotic loving hatred. I feel like he is trying to tear down everything that makes Wonder Woman shine, if that makes sense. How Amazons are born, Hephaestus saying the lasso is not magical. (Though the wedding with Hades says otherwise) plus just regular over the top blood and guts.

Although I do like WWs new origin and the only reason it works is that it is a key part to the plot. Maybe when I finish this run I'll go back to Rucka's and dig into Perez's. It feels like there aren't as many GREAT Wonder Woman Stories out there.

I see the Azzarllo's Wonder Women kind of the same I see most Alan Moore stories. They are obviously quite dark but I found the darkness is normally there to highlight some point he is trying to make. Azzarllo I think obviously wanted to tell a story about family and is using Wonder Women as a vehicle to do that. I agree that he went to far in regards to the Amazons but I think it's all there to serve the central point of his story. When John's cuts of an arm its because WOAH he cut of that guy's arm but I feel when Azzarllo does something dark its justifiable in regards to the story and doesn't feel like grim-dark bullshit.

That said I wouldnt mind if they retconned most of the Amazon stuff in later runs as long as they keep Diana as Zues's daughter because I feel that opens Wonder Women's character up and gives writers an even greater spring board to write with.

AFoolAndHisMoney
Aug 13, 2013

Azz's whole deal is that he isn't white washing Greek myth like previous runs, Zeus is a philandering bastard, Hera wasn't some wonderful, helpful goddess actually she was quite cruel in many aspects. And the Amazons weren't some super enlightened society- hell at their core they're a society that goes out of their way to exclude men.

I think it works because Azz is a good writer who can handle those themes really well, making something dark doesn't make it bad- in fact I really hate it when people just automatically hate something because it's dark and serious, as if all comics should be lighthearted silver age fun. And the story itself is about Diana coming to terms with the more unpleasant aspects of her life growing up and her newfound family and criticising and finding a new progressive way for both which works really well to her character. She's becoming a new kind of god and in recent issues she's also trying to find a new way for the Amazons.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

I feel like he's going to leave the series in a place where WW has dealt with all of the troublesome 'truths' revealed in her mythology and rebuilt it as an honest virtuous paradise in her terms. So future writers* can basically go with a classic version (with maybe some added male Amazonians) if they want to.

*I'm actively ignoring this http://www.bleedingcool.com/2014/02/27/so-who-is-the-woman-writing-david-finchs-wonder-woman/ in the hopes that it's BS.

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

That wouldn't be sort of contradictory?

Unless they're called Spartans I guess :v:

What did the comic name the males? I can't remember.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 04:26 on May 17, 2014

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

Teenage Fansub posted:

(with maybe some added male Amazonians)

BigRed0427
Mar 23, 2007

There's no one I'd rather be than me.

AFoolAndHisMoney posted:

in fact I really hate it when people just automatically hate something because it's dark and serious, as if all comics should be lighthearted silver age fun.

That's fair. For me it feels like I have seen SO MANY gritty reboots of characters that are simply trying to make old, popular characters cool again that when someone does a gritty reboot and it's actually good my reaction is "Ohh...Hey, did the new Adventure Time trade come in yet?"

Dark_Tzitzimine posted:

I think Gail Simone did this, their leader was named The Olympinan. He was regulated to the Outsiders afterwards.

BigRed0427 fucked around with this message at 05:00 on May 17, 2014

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Teenage Fansub posted:

What did the comic name the males? I can't remember.

I don't know either, but how about "the Manazons"? :v:

HitTheTargets
Mar 3, 2006

I came here to laugh at you.
Google says they were called Gargareans in a direct nod to ancient mythology, in which the Amazons had an annual meet up with an all male tribe to make babies. Thanks Google.

Teenage Fansub
Jan 28, 2006

They aren't there yet. Mating is currently done by seducing sailors who are then killed (which also comes from myth) with the males cast into serving the weapon god from birth.
Yeah. Them getting freed and splitting off to form that tribe, swapping the secret evil myth for the other sounds more like the thing that'd happen in this series.

Teenage Fansub fucked around with this message at 07:31 on May 17, 2014

BrianWilly
Apr 24, 2007

There is no homosexual terrorist Johnny Silverhand

BigRed0427 posted:

I think you and I are the only two people, at least on this forum, who aren't entirely impressed with Azzarello's run. I keep on giving it chances and while some of it is rewarding, most of it is just...unimpressive.

Even putting aside his women-hating interpretation of the Amazons (a face-value retelling of a myth that originally hated women is still women-hating), the pacing is slow as hell and Wonder Woman herself is far too underdeveloped for a character who's been starring in thirty issues of this series. She spends most of every storyline being flustered or bamboozled by her co-stars, who Azzarello seems far more interested in, which might be fine if those co-stars don't occasionally spend literal whole issues babbling nonsense to each other about nothing of significance. Quickly now, without looking anything up, someone name something memorable that happened in the latest issue.

The book does have a lot of consistently nice art, and Azzarello is obviously a skilled enough writer so that none of the content is actively terrible like some other books. But there are still a whole lot of better books out there right now, in both DC and Marvel's titles, so I've never really understood the leeway that people give to this one.

Dark_Tzitzimine
Oct 9, 2012

by R. Guyovich

BrianWilly posted:

Quickly now, without looking anything up, someone name something memorable that happened in the latest issue.
We found what happened to Zeus, Diana's winning the amazon's leadership and Hades got his candles blew :v:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shirkelton
Apr 6, 2009

I'm not loyal to anything, General... except the dream.
Azzarello's Wonder Woman is not a 'gritty' reboot. That's the whole point of the character; you strip away the amazonians, you strip away the impure, divine birth and tie it to a complete poo poo-head god, you strip away Themysciria, the magic lasso, you strip away everything; Wonder Woman is still Wonder Woman; gently caress what you heard.

• Locked thread