Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax
O&A is a weird show that seems consistently more positive towards homosexuals and homosexual issues (use of human being notwithstanding) and consistently more negative towards black and black issues. Like I've seen them get furious and call people homophobic, but then Ant will go on about FBI arrest records and how nobody talks on white-on-black violence.

Ant's kind of lost the script here, and that's coming from someone who agrees with a lot of what they say about honest communication and the importance of not censoring words and stuff. Ant's kind of a broken human being, but he'd be fine if he would just have the self-awareness to recognize that he just really loving hates black people for no real reason.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Droopy Goines
Aug 2, 2003

Presented in DTS ES 6.1 where available.
Soooo did anything cool happen on the super show?

Neodoomium
Jun 20, 2001

You are now hearing this
noise in your head.

Morter posted:

I call Anthony bigoted because whenever he wants to be "open and honest", he wants to say all non-articulate black people are violent, hoodie-wearing gang bangers with 20 kids on the government till. He wants to use "human being" as a way to label things that he finds negative, despite the fact that the meaning has grown to something more targeted towards people normally subject to being ostracized or random acts of violence. I understand he's old school and stubborn, but the point is that he attempts to use "honesty" as a vehicle of just saying hurtful things with impunity, because he never listens to the honesty of how white, straight, well-to-do people hurt others.

So when I hear him say these kids aren't being honest, I feel he's not expressing disbelief in the children's accepting words, but rather that there isn't enough hatred from these children. It's as if anger and repulsion should be expected, and thus bias or dishonesty is on display when it's not shown.

With how the past few decades have been more about accepting all forms of people from all walks of life, I'm honestly not surprised most of those children are going "Yeah sure, whatever!" or "Aww that's nice :shobon:" to two strangers marrying. I suspect it took more than that video to make them reach positive judgements, so as biased as the video might be, I don't blame it on whoever made or edited the video, but rather whoever raised those dishonest, indiscriminately tolerant children. :arghfist:

Edit: I don't mean to make a big to do about gay issues or anything. I started this all expressing my surprise with Anthony. I'm aware of his bigotry and how it somewhat extends to homosexuals, but since the video had something to do with gay rights, I didn't think he'd care about the video. So his twist on it surprised me, is all. :smith:

Well put, fella.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

I think Anthony is honest when he's being a giant bigot. I think he's pretty open about that. I also think he's stuck in his perspective and never ever can understand another person can have a completely different set of values and responses, and come by those honestly. Considering he's constantly watching TV news and talking head poo poo where people are intentionally dishonest if it will get them a point, I'm not entirely surprised he assumes it's more dishonesty and can't understand that people weren't all born wired the same way as him.

BottledBodhisvata
Jul 26, 2013

by Lowtax

CrashCat posted:

I think Anthony is honest when he's being a giant bigot. I think he's pretty open about that. I also think he's stuck in his perspective and never ever can understand another person can have a completely different set of values and responses, and come by those honestly. Considering he's constantly watching TV news and talking head poo poo where people are intentionally dishonest if it will get them a point, I'm not entirely surprised he assumes it's more dishonesty and can't understand that people weren't all born wired the same way as him.

He's also an emotionally crippled millionaire who likes to gently caress (legal) teenage girls and can't seem to actually have a honest relationship with anyone but his guns. If he wasn't super rich and living in a literal lavish compound, I'd feel sorry for him. Like most broken people, he's really missing the essential ingredient of love.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

BottledBodhisvata posted:

He's also an emotionally crippled millionaire who likes to gently caress (legal) teenage girls and can't seem to actually have a honest relationship with anyone but his guns. If he wasn't super rich and living in a literal lavish compound, I'd feel sorry for him. Like most broken people, he's really missing the essential ingredient of love.

Not to mention the weird way where he doesn't react emotionally to anything except with anger or humor. He's repressing some dark poo poo.

CrashCat
Jan 10, 2003

another shit post

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

Not to mention the weird way where he doesn't react emotionally to anything except with anger or humor. He's repressing some dark poo poo.
It's not very repressed, but he's probably learned to be bitter from it. He's openly talked about how his parents hated each other, hated him, and were just general assholes.

spudsbuckley
Aug 29, 2008

by FactsAreUseless

(and can't post for 5 years!)

Droopy Goines posted:

Soooo did anything cool happen on the super show?

I'm enjoying it so far. Lady Di blocking the toilet in Starbucks before the show even started was great.

You can go back to complaining about the same old poo poo again now, folks!

Atarian
Aug 10, 2005

This ant...
Clever Betty
Overall good show. I was really disappointed that Intern David didn't respond, though.

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

Atarian posted:

Overall good show. I was really disappointed that Intern David didn't respond, though.

Wasn't he the guy who literally ran from Opie when he saw him on the streets?

Nucleic Acids
Apr 10, 2007

Call Me Charlie posted:

Wasn't he the guy who literally ran from Opie when he saw him on the streets?

I thought that was the guy they had pick one of Jim's turds out of a toilet; what was his name?

Creampie Jones?

Nucleic Acids fucked around with this message at 22:26 on May 16, 2014

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
I think David ran away from producers and fans in the streets. I believe Opie was eating lunch outside with Patrice or someone when David walked by, froze, and power walked away.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004
I thought David was working at the World Trade Centre Memorial or something and ran away from Sam every time he tried to talk to him.

UncleMonkey
Jan 11, 2005

We watched our friends grow up together
And we saw them as they fell
Some of them fell into Heaven
Some of them fell into Hell
Super Show III was good. Couldn't match Super Show I but nothing's going to come close to that. I really wish Sandy Kane was still banned. I can't even begin to convey the depth of revulsion she fills me with.

Speaking of people I hate like the plague, I gotta give Denny credit where credit is do today. He really is loving fast with the music cues. Slipping "Baby Elephant Walk" on when Di entered the studio was loving amazing.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

that an alien race would be psychologically human.

Denny owns, why would you hate him

Fair to Midland
Jan 13, 2010

by Cowcaster
Denny is hilarious, if anything I fault O&A for using him constantly after Tequila and Donut day to make people sick of him.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
Denny is only funny because of O&A, when Sal brought in clips earlier this week of Dennis the 70s Menace it was the worst thing ever on broadcast. When Denny's on O&A he's a cornball, but when he's on his own he's a bore as well as corny.

The Super Show today was good but it was the weakest of the 3. They should rest it for a long while (and Di and Bobo with it), but on the other hand if they opened up with a surprise Super Show IV on their first day back from break it would be the funniest thing. Jim would leave the show.

Bubba Smith fucked around with this message at 05:48 on May 17, 2014

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006
I was hoping Sam was going to follow through on leaving Bobo on the shelf for a while, but I guess low hanging fruit is the sweetest or something.

Paul Kersey
Oct 28, 2004

Anybody else think Super Show III was kind of a let down? Sandy Kane saved it. Doing things like making Bocchetti tap dance, Intern Oscar sing, etc., wasn't funny at all.

Also, yes, Denny is amazingly fast with the music cues.

Cromulent
Dec 22, 2002

People are under a lot of stress, Bradley.
I didn't like the talent portion but the other parts of the super show weren't bad. I'm oddly amused by Oscar, and I find it funny that Sandy Kane and Patty have been the voice of reason. Di was trying to exchange numbers with Colin and Colin actually was giving her his number, and Sandy says "You're really gonna give her your number man??"

TheRationalRedditor
Jul 17, 2000

WHO ABUSED HIM. WHO ABUSED THE BOY.
Super Show 3 was the least memorable yet and Colin's presence felt minimal and kind of wasted, but DJ Dennis Falcone spinning his hard drive of hits in a dynamic, reactive fashion to what's going on is one of the best things possible for the show. And overall, the last 2 weeks have been very strong and full of big laughs. The Apology Clock is such a fantastic regular bit.

Cat Man Lou
Jul 14, 2005

On the re-signing / podcast discussion, I think if they do leave Sirius (which they most likely will not), they should do everything on YouTube. Here's why, I think:

They should ask all the popular YouTube accounts of hosting clips and such to close. And then they should open a free channel with some ads called Classic O&A with the classic bits constantly being uploaded and offered. This is happening on YouTube anyway and I think it's how most people get into the show nowadays. Obviously, if they leave Sirius, I don't know what the deal is with ownership of XM/Sirius shows.

Then they have a second, main channel that they offer their daily/weekly/however often they do it new shows. YouTube channels with over 10,000 subs can charge a subscription fee and any channel can do live streaming shows, so that way they can still incorporate phone calls and that sort of thing. And keep the income flowing with a $5/month sub fee for new content. So all full new shows (and maybe complete old shows) will be offered on the fee-based channel and the classic bits are offered for free to get people into the show.

Obviously, there's other stuff to consider, like simulcasting the live shows on other audio-only media so people can listen in their cars and on their phones separate from YouTube. As well as making the new shows available in podcast form. But I figure if a huge segment of the audience is getting their O&A fix from YouTube, why not take advantage of that?

Caesarian Sectarian
Oct 19, 2004

Those clips are all probably owned by Sirius though.

Mad Doctor Cthulhu
Mar 3, 2008

It's not a bad idea, but YouTube doesn't play as much as Sirius is giving them now.

I think they should make some headway for getting some more cameras in the studio and somehow meshing a visual element into their show. It couldn't hurt and they have done it successfully in the past.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

Xenology is an unnatural mixture of science fiction and formal logic. At its core is a flawed assumption...

If anything they're gonna charge a subscription for the current show as a podcast as a live stream and archived episodes. If they managed to combine forces with Ron, they'd make enough to make some profit I think.

Google Butt fucked around with this message at 19:08 on May 17, 2014

Cat Man Lou
Jul 14, 2005

therealjon_ posted:

Those clips are all probably owned by Sirius though.

Yeah, I'm sure that's the case. But what's Sirius gonna do with them if O&A leave? Louis C.K. split profits with HBO when he put the audio from Shameless and now Oh My God on his website. Maybe they could work something out like that. Otherwise, I think that's audio that would go to waste / be shared by third parties anyway.

OlyMike
Sep 17, 2006
I'm talking about flagellation, who gives a damn about parades
Doesn't Stern own all his old clips? I know he took the old stuff from terrestrial to Sirius. I'm assuming that's a contract issue, but if they were smart they retained ownership.

Stotty
Apr 5, 2004

OlyMike posted:

Doesn't Stern own all his old clips? I know he took the old stuff from terrestrial to Sirius.

I don't think he did. I remember O&A making fun of him for re-recording a lot of his old stuff when he made the move over.

Maybe it was just jingles and stuff rather than content.

Stotty fucked around with this message at 21:32 on May 17, 2014

Dip Facial
Feb 29, 2004
Unhealthy Harlequin

Mad Doctor Cthulhu posted:

The way he reacts to the deaths of people around him (people you would think are at least somewhat close to him) are cringe-worthy.

He can't even muster a "They will be missed" it's always some deflective humor.

Daikatana Ritsu
Aug 1, 2008

I love Oscar

Call Me Charlie
Dec 3, 2005

by Smythe

OlyMike posted:

Doesn't Stern own all his old clips? I know he took the old stuff from terrestrial to Sirius. I'm assuming that's a contract issue, but if they were smart they retained ownership.

He does.

Sirius paid CBS two million dollars for twenty years of tapes and the rights reverted back to Stern in 2010.

Google Butt
Oct 4, 2005

oh hell yea

jyrka
Jan 21, 2005

Potato Count: 2 small potatoes
edit: oops!

Untagged
Mar 29, 2004

Hey, does your planet have wiper fluid yet or you gonna freak out and start worshiping us?
Every year they bitch and every year they resign. They know where the guaranteed money tit is.

Although I could picture them trying to negotiate another time slot. They are so used to mornings now that too would be a surprise.

Bubba Smith
Sep 27, 2004

Is tonight the greatest moment in Dominick Cruz's life?

No.

The greatest moment in my life was realizing that I didn't need a belt to be happy.
I think they would be happy to resign if they could finally get a better studio. It must be embarrassing bringing A-list guests into a studio that's not much bigger than a broom closet.

Riotgrrill
Sep 3, 2004

Supershow was a bit of a dud and paled in comparison to the Thursday show.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

God loving drat was Stalker Patty's talent terrible.

Cory Lidle
Oct 12, 2006

TwistedNails posted:

God loving drat was Stalker Patty's talent terrible.
Well yeah, she doesn't have one.

TwistedNails
Dec 1, 2008

Just finishing Friday's show now, Sandy Kane was awesome as the judge.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sankis
Mar 8, 2004

But I remember the fella who told me. Big lad. Arms as thick as oak trees, a stunning collection of scars, nice eye patch. A REAL therapist he was. Er wait. Maybe it was rapist?

How did Sandy Kane get back to being friend of the show? She tried to sue them!

I mean, I know she's a crazy lady and they know she's a crazy lady but it seems weird that Sirius would even allow them to let her in.

• Locked thread