Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
redcandle
Dec 27, 2012
I have a couple of stupid questions.

First, what's the difference, combat-wise, between combining all your troops vs. having multiple stacks in the same location? As in, if I have a retinue of 3K and a comparable size levy, do they fight better if I combine them all and assign my best 3 commanders, or if I just have have them travel together so I can assign my best 6 commanders?

Second, is there a good way to squash revolts against my vassals? I'm currently the emperor of Scandinavia with 3 vassal kings, each of which is being revolted against. The revolt in Norway has been stalemated for a decade now. I'm not allowed to join in any of the wars (except to install the revolting king on the throne, but the current ones like me much better...). I tried to end it by assassinating the leaders of the revolt, but ended up inheriting the title (which subsequently broke my game).

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Strudel Man posted:

Eh. 'Difficulty' for plots is too binary for that, I think. Either enough people will join the plot for you to pull it off, or not, with just a little bit of wiggle room from those who are close enough to the edge to be bribed over.

I'd agree with that, but it's more a criticism of the intrigue system in general than my suggestion for it.

Serperoth
Feb 21, 2013

redcandle posted:

First, what's the difference, combat-wise, between combining all your troops vs. having multiple stacks in the same location? As in, if I have a retinue of 3K and a comparable size levy, do they fight better if I combine them all and assign my best 3 commanders, or if I just have have them travel together so I can assign my best 6 commanders?

I think there's a difference in how flanks work. If you have a total of 21.000 units, for example, if they're composed of three armies, 10k, 10k and 1k, the flanks will be that, and not three flanks of 7.

Not sure on that, but it seems the case.

Toadsniff
Apr 10, 2006

Fire Down Below: Crab Company 2

DStecks posted:

I'd agree with that, but it's more a criticism of the intrigue system in general than my suggestion for it.

You'd need a really good AI to be able to pull that off otherwise it would be completely overpowered. Like having someone who has a very low opinion of you but only to everyone else so he will plot against you and other people will seek him out because of it but then he comes right back around and informs on them for you.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Toadsniff posted:

You'd need a really good AI to be able to pull that off otherwise it would be completely overpowered. Like having someone who has a very low opinion of you but only to everyone else so he will plot against you and other people will seek him out because of it but then he comes right back around and informs on them for you.

This is also true. Opinion scores would need to be factored in, obviously, maybe even moreso than plot score; but the game is already capable of handling these kinds of three-way interactions. But yes, the AI would need to be written specifically with this in mind, and it's more of a CKIII wishlist item than anything a DLC could reasonably add.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

What's on your mind, Axa?
Huh. Apparently when you do a Google search for 'ck2 culture modding,' the last link on the first page is a Stormfront thread about "Crusader Kings 2 Aryan Faces." I'm not certain if I'm surprised or not.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

catlord posted:

Huh. Apparently when you do a Google search for 'ck2 culture modding,' the last link on the first page is a Stormfront thread about "Crusader Kings 2 Aryan Faces." I'm not certain if I'm surprised or not.
What exactly are you going for, with modding cultures? Changing graphics, adding in a new culture group, adding in a new culture to an existing group, ???

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Ofaloaf posted:

What exactly are you going for, with modding cultures? Changing graphics, adding in a new culture group, adding in a new culture to an existing group, ???

New culture to culture group. I'm wanting to add Cornish culture. I tried poking around with cultures a while ago, just copying a culture from a mod into a separate mod, but I wasn't certain what I was doing. I also intend to edit the landed titles file, but that seems like it should be rather easy, right?

Iprazochrome
Nov 3, 2008

catlord posted:

They must have been so pleased when Rajas of India was announced, they got genuine Aryan faces and even the ability to play as real Aryans.

RonJeremysBalzac
Jul 29, 2004
It took a few tries to take over the Samanids as Karen and survive long enough to establish a stable Zoroastrian kingdom that could chip away at the Saffarids. The constant revolts in this area helped a lot to destabilize him. I swore fealty, then held my event troops far away while his army was demolished, and pounced by demanding elective succession then installing myself as ruler.

I believe that you should be able to join a national or religious uprising if you're the same culture and religion.

Also, I never realized just how rich these rebel leaders could be. I usually just let them lounge around in my jail.

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

redcandle posted:

Second, is there a good way to squash revolts against my vassals? I'm currently the emperor of Scandinavia with 3 vassal kings, each of which is being revolted against. The revolt in Norway has been stalemated for a decade now. I'm not allowed to join in any of the wars (except to install the revolting king on the throne, but the current ones like me much better...). I tried to end it by assassinating the leaders of the revolt, but ended up inheriting the title (which subsequently broke my game).

Combining is better; regardless of how many leaders you have with the individual stacks, the actual battle will only have three flank leaders and three flanks - and if there's separate stacks, the game will use its own logic for automatically combining everything for the battle. Combining them all yourself gives you direct and precise control over the makeup of each flank, as well as who the flank leaders will be. Of course, if you're not going to fool around with that advanced military stuff, it doesn't really matter either way.

Civilized Fishbot
Apr 3, 2011

RonJeremysBalzac posted:

It took a few tries to take over the Samanids as Karen and survive long enough to establish a stable Zoroastrian kingdom that could chip away at the Saffarids. The constant revolts in this area helped a lot to destabilize him. I swore fealty, then held my event troops far away while his army was demolished, and pounced by demanding elective succession then installing myself as ruler.

I believe that you should be able to join a national or religious uprising if you're the same culture and religion.

Also, I never realized just how rich these rebel leaders could be. I usually just let them lounge around in my jail.

I usually wait to win each rebellion until the rebel's taken some loans from the Jews.

OoohU
Oct 26, 2013

Bitches ain't shit but genejacks & synths
http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?775590-An-Explanation-and-An-Apology

Help us GOONbiwan Kenobi your our only hope.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe

catlord posted:

Look inside \crusader kings ii\common\cultures, that contains the 00_cultures.txt with all the cultures. The names used in each one, patronyms, name inheritance, dynastic styles, etc.

Cornish would probably go in 'celtic' alongside Irish, Welsh, Scottish and Breton, so the new entry should go alongside those.

Anyway, Bloodmerchant in the New Cultures thread made a Cornish/Breton culture, so this is what you would put inside the celtic group:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?610605-New-Cultures&p=14010793&viewfull=1#post14010793

code:
	cornish = {
		graphical_culture = celticgfx

color = { 0.3 0.8 0.8 }

male_names = {
			Adoyre Aedan Alan Aldrien Ambros_Ambrosius Agustin_Augustine Anaoc Anaubritou Anaugen Anauuoret 
			Aniud Argantbri Argantmoet Arthguiu_Arthur Arthmael Arthueu_Arthur Arthuiu_Arthur Arthuis_Artorius
			Agustin_Augustine Austol_Austell Beli Beniamen_Benjamin Bledric Bledros Bleidcum Bleidiud Bodan 
			Branhucar Branoc Branwalator_Brendan Brenci Breselgar Breseloc Brethoc Brient_Brian Brigual 
			Brigualt Brioc Brithael Bronmael Budguoret Budhoiarn Budic Budoc Buhedoc Cadan Cadaouen Cadarvan 
			Cado Cadoc Cantgueithen Carantoc Caradec_Caradog Catguallon_Cadwallon Catgualtr_Cadwalladr Catgueten 
			Catgutic Cenmin Cingur Cinhoedl Clemen_Clement Comoere Conan_Conan Congar_Cyngar Conmonoc Conogan Conomor_Cunomor Conredeu 
			Convelin_Cynfelyn Conguoïon Courantmonoc Credan Culmin_Colman Custentin_Constantine 
			Custeyn_Constantius Dauid_David Deroch Deurhoiarn Donual Donuallon_Donald Drogon Dungarth_Duncan Eguen_Eugene 
			Eon_John Erbin_Urban Erispoe Etgual Eudon_Otto Euhoiarn Even_Eugene Felec_Felix Fracan_Fragan Frioc_Ffriog 
			Gadeon_Gideon Gerren_Gerontius Gest Gestin_Justin Gourmaelon Gradlon Gratcant Grifiud Guallon Gudgual Guecon 
			Guenerdon Guentanet Guentiern Guerech Guethenan Guethencar Guethenguoion Guethenoc Guihomarch Guincalon Guincum Guinhoiarn Guithrit Guitol 
			Guobrian Guocon Guoletec Guorbili Guordotal Guoretan Guorethoiarn Guorhoiarn Gurbodu Gurcant Gurcencor Gurci Gurcon Gurdilic Gurgen 
			Gurguaret Gurguistl Gurheter Guriant Gurlouen Gurlouuen Gurmael Gurthcid Gurthiern_Vortigern Guruant Haeloc Hedyn Hincomhal Hoel_Hywel Iarcun 
			Iarnbud Iarncant Iarndetguid Iarngon Iarnguallon Iarnguocon Iarnhitin Ilcarthon Iliud 
			Inisian Iodoc_Judicael Ionas_Jonas Iosep_Joseph Iouan_John Iudicaelh_Judicael 
			Iudnerth Iudoc_Judicael Iudguallon Iunceneu Leucum Loi Louenan Loumarch Machtiern Massen_Maximus Maeldoi 
			Maelhuedoc Maeloc_Maelog Maenceneu Mailoc_Maelog March_Mark Matuid Maugan_Mawgan Mauric_Maurice 
			Medrod_Mordred Melor Meriadec_Meriadoc Mermin Meven Morcant_Morgan Morhaetho Nomenoe Oss'ne Outham_Octavius 
			Pascueten_Pasquitan Patric_Patrick Petroc Piran Putrael Resmen Ridoredh 
			Rinduran Rioc Riol Riotham_Riothamus Rioual_Riwal Riouallon_Rhiwallon Ronan Ryd Salenn Salomon_Solomon Samson 
			Selevan_Solomon Sulian_Julian Sulmonoc Talan Talhoiarn Tanci Telent Terithien 
			Tethion Teudar_Theodore Teudoc_Theodoric Tiernmael Tugdual_Theodowalaunus  Ungust Urbien_Urban Urblon Uther_Victor Waroch 
		}
		female_names = {
			Aanor Aedoc Anaguistl Anaudat Anauprost Aourcen Aouren Argantan Arganteila Arganteilin Argantguistl Arganthael Argantlon Argantmoet 
			Artaca Avandrec Breaca Buriana Canna Catguistl Ceindrec Ceinguled Dengel Diuset Duihon Elisaued_Elizabeth Elguen Endellion Enoguen Ewsannec Fuandrec 
			Gloiucen Gloiumed Guelet Guenbrith Guencen Guencenedl Guencor Guenguerthlon Guenguistl Guenguiu Guenmon Guenna Guenneret Guennuuar 
			Guigoëdon Halbiu Herannuen Igerna Ignoguen Ilcum Iofa Iseullt Iudhent Iudprost Louhelic Luncen Maben Medguistl Meduil Meonre Milian Morguetel Moruith 
			Moruen Oncenedl Oncum Onguen Ordguydel Ourcen Ourdilic Perem Proscen Prosguetel Prostlon Rannoeu Riguistl Rimoet Rioantcen Rioantdrec 
			Rioanon Rioanuuellt_Regina Rum Rumun Sulcen Sulleisoc Sulmed Tandrec Tanguistl Trifine Ursula
		}

male_patronym = "map "
		female_patronym = "merch "
		prefix = yes

modifier = default_culture_modifier
		# Chance of male children being named after their paternal or maternal grandfather, or their father. Sum must not exceed 100.
		pat_grf_name_chance = 80
		mat_grf_name_chance = 0
		father_name_chance = 0

# Chance of female children being named after their paternal or maternal grandmother, or their mother. Sum must not exceed 100.
		pat_grm_name_chance = 10
		mat_grm_name_chance = 50
		mother_name_chance = 0
	}

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Shadeoses posted:

Look inside \crusader kings ii\common\cultures, that contains the 00_cultures.txt with all the cultures. The names used in each one, patronyms, name inheritance, dynastic styles, etc.

Cornish would probably go in 'celtic' alongside Irish, Welsh, Scottish and Breton, so the new entry should go alongside those.

Anyway, Bloodmerchant in the New Cultures thread made a Cornish/Breton culture, so this is what you would put inside the celtic group:

http://forum.paradoxplaza.com/forum/showthread.php?610605-New-Cultures&p=14010793&viewfull=1#post14010793

I got that part down (including using Bloodmerchant's culture, actually), but there seems to be some other parts to it as well. When I checked it it was all lowercase, and it doesn't have any dynasty names. I assume that dynasty names would be made with another file (00_dynasties.txt, or something else using the same structure?), but I have no clue about the lowercase stuff, or other cultural things, though I think I found where to set the cultural retinues?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
I depends on what else you want the culture to do in-game. With just the culture added, no new characters will have it, so you would have to make a new ruler designer character to make it exist in-game.

Setting it up so that the Cornwall provinces are changed from Breton to Cornish, along with the characters who live there, plus miscellaneous issues? That's a little more work. I'll put a folder together that does that for you.

Robindaybird
Aug 21, 2007

Neat. Sweet. Petite.

could someone summarize this? I've tried to update my forum account and it kept borking

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Robindaybird posted:

could someone summarize this?

CK2+ is dead.

Ofaloaf
Feb 15, 2013

catlord posted:

I got that part down (including using Bloodmerchant's culture, actually), but there seems to be some other parts to it as well. When I checked it it was all lowercase, and it doesn't have any dynasty names. I assume that dynasty names would be made with another file (00_dynasties.txt, or something else using the same structure?), but I have no clue about the lowercase stuff, or other cultural things, though I think I found where to set the cultural retinues?

The lowercase thing is a localisation matter-- 'cornish' is just a string of letters that mean nothing to the game, you could set that name in the cultures file to jedgarhoover and it'd still appear as 'Cornish' in-game if you added a line like
code:
jedgarhoover;Cornish;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
to any of the text files in Localisation (but make your own text file, that's the best option)

The first part of the line, 'jedgarhoover' in this case, establishes whatever item the localisation is actually referencing. The first entry after that, 'Cornish' sets the in-game name for it in English. You could also add French, German and Spanish entries to it if you wanted to, but you're not going to use those languages so why bother?

This also works for titles too, by the way.
code:
k_hypotheticaland;Hypotheticaland;;;;;;;;;;;;;x
sets the title k_hypotheticaland, established in landed_titles.txt, as 'Hypotheticaland' in-game.

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.

Robindaybird posted:

could someone summarize this? I've tried to update my forum account and it kept borking

Guy who took over CK2+ has given up along with the rest of the people he was working with.

It's dead, and can't say it's a bad thing. It was getting terribly bloated.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Shadeoses posted:

I depends on what else you want the culture to do in-game. With just the culture added, no new characters will have it, so you would have to make a new ruler designer character to make it exist in-game.

Setting it up so that the Cornwall provinces are changed from Breton to Cornish, along with the characters who live there, plus miscellaneous issues? That's a little more work. I'll put a folder together that does that for you.

Exist, mostly, and use the Welsh retinues and tactics. My plan was to change Cornwall and its characters to Cornish and then edit the landed titles file to change the name of Britannia depending on who owned it (veering worryingly close to the people who insist that Byzantium be Basiliea Rhomanion, admittedly). I was thinking it shouldn't be that difficult once I knew how to do it, right? Mostly just finding the character IDs and then slowly changing the culture? Might be some issue with names, but that strikes me as a small issue, honestly.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
That's not too hard. What different name(s) would Britannia have, and anything else different?

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7882211/Cornish%20Stuff/CORNISH.zip

I put the folder and mod file up temporarily, it has Devon and Cornwall as Cornish culture, and the Cerneu family is all Cornish, I think they're around from Old Gods to Stamford Bridge. Retinues and buildings use Welsh Longbows. Britannia is called 'Prydain'.

catlord
Mar 22, 2009

Shadeoses posted:

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/7882211/Cornish%20Stuff/CORNISH.zip

I put the folder and mod file up temporarily, it has Devon and Cornwall as Cornish culture, and the Cerneu family is all Cornish, I think they're around from Old Gods to Stamford Bridge. Retinues and buildings use Welsh Longbows. Britannia is called 'Prydain'.

Ah, thanks. That'll certainly cut down on the amount of work, and show me what to do in the future. It looks pretty good, too.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

I DON'T KNOW EITHER DON'T ASK ME
College Slice
Does anyone know where the event for the Mongol Empire breaking apart into the Ilkhanate and Golden Horde is? I tried looking in the mongol_events.txt but it's not there.

I'm trying to use it for the 480 Migrational Mod since it would work well for breaking up Islam after the Sunni/Shia split.

Skellybones
May 31, 2011

Fun Shoe
What would the original Islamic religion be before the split? Or for that matter, 480 Christianity?

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Hitlers Gay Secret posted:

Does anyone know where the event for the Mongol Empire breaking apart into the Ilkhanate and Golden Horde is? I tried looking in the mongol_events.txt but it's not there.

I'm trying to use it for the 480 Migrational Mod since it would work well for breaking up Islam after the Sunni/Shia split.

They never break up, they are always separate. The mongol start date is weird, because those "mongols" never exist in the real game.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

Shadeoses posted:

What would the original Islamic religion be before the split? Or for that matter, 480 Christianity?

http://www.chick.com/reading/tracts/0042/0042_01.asp

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

No! You missed my favorite line:

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice

TaurusTorus posted:

They never break up, they are always separate. The mongol start date is weird, because those "mongols" never exist in the real game.

No, there's an event or something that forces e_mongol_empire to be destroyed and e_ilkhanate and e_golden_horde to appear some time in the 1200's. The CK II wiki talks about it a bit but doesn't mention the event that triggers it.

Also, I'm just going with calling pre-Schism Islam "Islam" since Muhammad (P.B.U) would be preaching the original uninterpreted teachings. Since the Mongol Empire breaking has to do with Genghis Khan's death I figured it would be a good base to split the two factions.

Wolfgang Pauli
Mar 26, 2008

One Three Seven

Shadeoses posted:

Since origins of Islam talk is going on, I'mma just leave this here: http://www.amazon.com/dp/0199739323/

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

No, there's an event or something that forces e_mongol_empire to be destroyed and e_ilkhanate and e_golden_horde to appear some time in the 1200's. The CK II wiki talks about it a bit but doesn't mention the event that triggers it.

This says that two leaders for each faction are generated the second the "mongol" event fires, and also says that the event you are talking about fires on the "mongol" start date bookmark, but not normally.

edit: yeah, i checked it out starting from like 1215, the mongol event fires and the actual "mongol empire" title never gets used or handed out, just the ilkhanate and golden horde

TaurusTorus fucked around with this message at 08:03 on May 17, 2014

Allyn
Sep 4, 2007

I love Charlie from Busted!

Also, I'm just going with calling pre-Schism Islam "Islam" since Muhammad (P.B.U) would be preaching the original uninterpreted teachings. Since the Mongol Empire breaking has to do with Genghis Khan's death I figured it would be a good base to split the two factions.

If you mean this page on the wiki, it's saying that if you manually move the starting date from 1226 to 1227 (1277 is a typo) the land will suddenly split in two. It's not event-based, it's history based. There is no event for what you're looking for as far as I can tell. The only times e_mongol_empire is mentioned in the entire events folder is for their sacking of the major cities.

GenderSelectScreen
Mar 7, 2010

College Slice
gently caress, so the Mongol Empire doesn't split up after a while. That explains why I can't find it in any of the Mongol related files.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

Is the game worth playing yet?

Rynoto
Apr 27, 2009
It doesn't help that I'm fat as fuck, so my face shouldn't be shown off in the first place.
It has always been worth playing.

If you mean, have the bugs been fixed, then yes.

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Arglebargle III posted:

Is the game worth playing yet?

Crusader Kings has been more stable and far more approachable than most Paradox titles since retail. So, uh, yes.

Arglebargle III
Feb 21, 2006

I meant after the Raja update.

Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Arglebargle III posted:

I meant after the Raja update.

It was after the first patch that fixed the religious unrest in India, and before then playing outside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elias_Maluco
Aug 23, 2007
I need to sleep
Yesterday I was just thinking about how playing elective is actually a lot easier, since you can just choose the best of your flock as heir everytime. And when you have enough time and money and power, he/she is always elected. Unless, of course, something really bad happens. And then it did.

I had a very good Tzar after a sequence of bad ones: he was loved all around, he had 22 martial, he conquered Rome, he pushed back the mongols in three very fierce wars, (he even captured the Golden Horde's Khal himself while leading troops, in the last of then).

His heir, though, was a pretty mediocre woman. And then she dies. I think: alright, she wanst much anyway, and was getting old already. My next daughter in line is pretty weak too, but hey, Im pĺaying elective!

So I open the dynasty window to look for someone cooler, and I find this grandson I had forgotten all about. He is a brown young boy, half cuman. He is no genius or anything like that, but his stats are all 3/4s, which seems promising for a 5 years old child. And he has history as well: his mother was my last daughter, who I married to my greatest general, the mighty Sokal, this lowborn cuman guy I managed to invite to my court. With 28 martial, he was the best warrior to ever lead troops for Russia. I gave him my daughter after he won some unbelievable battles on the last wars against the mongols. She died shortly after, but had time to have this one son, the little boy I just found.

So hell yeah, I set him as heir to Russia and Rus. He is 5 years old, but Im still 47, and healthy, I have time. I call him to be educated by myself, and he soon gets the brave, proud and strong traits. Everything looks good, he is gonna be the coolest Tzar ever, I cant barely wait.

And then it happens: I get infirm. Its ok, it happens a lot, no big deal. But a few months later, I get disabled. Realizing what is about to happen, I think of changing my titles back to primogeniture, but I cant: my vassals are fighting each other, as always. A couple of years later, I die: all hail Tzar Alexandr Sokanovitch, 8 years old. Situation looks like hell: dangeours factions are formed instantly, my heir (my uncle, also a child) is not being voted for Russia or Rus, plots against me and my family all around. But if I can only keep him alive for 8 years, than he will be able to fix everything in time.

Nope: he gets murdered, after 3 months. My dynasty, greatest in the world, finally loses the throne of the huge empire we created. Not to my enemies, not to the mongols, but to my own stupidity and bad luck.

EDIT: sorry about the long post, I just had to tell the history of my demise.

Elias_Maluco fucked around with this message at 15:14 on May 17, 2014

• Locked thread