Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.

Vagabundo posted:

Oh, and All Blacks training squad announced.

No Gareth Anscombe? Does that mean we can we have him?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Tyma posted:

No Gareth Anscombe? Does that mean we can we have him?

But you guys already have Priestland.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Tyma posted:

Pro 12 Awards Night thingy happened. The Player Of The Season award went to Dan Biggar

Pro 12 Team Of The Season
15. Liam Williams (Scarlets)
14. Jeff Hassler (Ospreys)
13. Casey Lualala (Munster)
12. Alex Dunbar (Glasgow)
11. Andrew Trimball (Ulster)
10. Dan Biggar (Ospreys)
09. Gareth Davies (Scarlets)
01. Dave Kilcoyne (Munster)
02. Sean Cronin (Leinster)
03. Samson Lee (Scarlets)
04. Johann Muller (Ulster)
05. Alyn Wun-Jones (Ospreys)
06. Rhys Ruddock (Leinster)
07. Jondi Murphy (Leinster)
08. Robin Copeland (Blues)

Try Of The Season is That One Where Dan Biggar Could Have Easily Dived On The Ball To Stop It But For Some Reason He Didn't And It Literally Cost Us Our Entire loving Season. Scored by Tommy Seymour.

I'm not bitter.

Strange there's so few Glasgow players in the selection. Only Alex Dunbar? A bit odd as I'd rate Seymour into it.

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
It seems like they just tried to appease as many teams as they can.Jordi Murphy probably shouldn't be there,and Dave Kilcoyne definitely shouldn't be there.

I'm sure we all agree the true injustice is Lote Tuqiri being left out after his three-month stint with Leinster,the highlight of which was him playing at outside centre against Munster.He hadn't a clue what to do and the other players knew it so he barely got the ball.He finally got the ball in space near the end of the match,ran too fast and tore his hamstring.Good times.

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=646454665424202&set=vb.134169363319404&type=2&theater

:stare: drat look at this kid

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

I love Leinster and I couldn't be happier that Jordie Barrett has signed with them on a short term deal.
Wales Squad(s)

The teams are.. uh.. "not balanced". Priestland is injured, so it's now Biggar vs Morgan? The teams actually look stacked enough that any any insurance / player release problems arise from the French and English clubs, then Hook's team will consist of a forward pack with a combined age of 300, and a back line made up of literal children.

Possibles #9 is Gareth Davies, the Scarlets second-choice scrum-half, who ended the season as the Pro 12's leading try scorer. The Probables have named the Scarlets (apparant) first-choice scrum-half and National Treasure (tm) Mike Philips. This is probably panning out as a "goodies vs baddies" sort of thing.

There's no Hanno Dirksen or Gareth Anscombe. Who will Liam Williams get to injure, now? :[

-

Probables

Gethin Jenkins (Cardiff Blues)
Owen Evans (Dragons)
Rhys Gill (Saracens)
Ken Owens (Scarlets)
Scott Baldwin (Ospreys)
Adam Jones (Ospreys)
Samson Lee (Scarlets)
Alun Wyn Jones (Ospreys)
Luke Charteris (Perpignan)
Jake Ball (Scarlets)
Ryan Jones (Bristol)
Aaron Shingler (Scarlets)
Josh Navidi (Blues)
Dan Lydiate (Racing Metro)
Taulupe Faletau (Dragons)

Rhodri Williams (Scarlets)
Mike Phillips (Racing Metro)
Dan Biggar (Ospreys)
Sam Davies (Ospreys)
Jon Davies (Scarlets)
Jamie Roberts (Racing Metro)
Gavin Henson (!!!!!!)
Alex Cuthbert (Cardiff Blues)
George North (Northampton)
Hallam Amos (Dragons)
Liam Williams (Scarlets)

-

Possibles

Paul James (Bath)
Phil Price (Dragons)
Rob Evans (Scarlets)
Matthew Rees (Blues)
Kristian Dacey (Blues)
Rhodri Jones (Scarlets)
Scott Andrews (Blues)
Aaron Jarvis (Ospreys)
Bradley Davies (Blues)
Andrew Coombs (Dragons)
Ian Evans (Ospreys)
Macauley Cook (Blues)
Josh Turnbull (Scarlets)
James Davies (Scarlets)
Dan Baker (Ospreys)

Gareth Davies (Scarlets)
Lloyd Williams (Blues)
James Hook (Perpignan)
Matthew Morgan (Ospreys)
Harry Robinson (Blues)
Owen Williams (Holy poo poo)
Steven Shingler (Scarlets)
Cory Allen (Blues)
Jonathan Spratt (Ospreys)
Tom Prydie (Dragons)
Jordan Williams (Scarlets)

Tyma fucked around with this message at 12:31 on May 13, 2014

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Whoever wins, they'll lose.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
They should share a bench. Any injury subs are done with the next highest rated player for the position, tactical substitutions will be decided by one coach getting first pick and then alternating between them.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
:patriot:

Keep in mind that he's not playing against grown men who can actually tackle well.

But he should see if he can get himself scouted for a college football team, he looks like an NFL player in the making.

edit:

I haven't had a chance to watch the weekend's games (besides the Northampton/Wasps blowout) - is there a good SupeRugby game or two I should get to catch up?

Apollodorus fucked around with this message at 14:15 on May 13, 2014

Tyma
Dec 22, 2004

goatface posted:

They should share a bench. Any injury subs are done with the next highest rated player for the position, tactical substitutions will be decided by one coach getting first pick and then alternating between them.

They clarified quite a bit in the press conference after the announcement :

* On paper, they already have the 32 players they plan to take to South Africa
* Dan Biggar's team (Red Team) are the starting 15. The other 17 players they plan to take are on James Hook's team (White Team).
* Both teams are then filled up with players who aren't in the touring squad. Being on Dan Biggar's team doesn't mean players like Henson and Shingler are in contention for selection.
* The squad will be announced a few minutes after the match, having taken into account the outcome of the game, and any outstanding performances.

Soo... Biggar's team has the best player at each position. Hook's team has the second best player at each position. The 3rd and 4th are shuffled randomly into both teams.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
So the only way for a fringe player to get into the squad is to hope someone plays poo poo and they get subbed on to do much better?

Why the gently caress are they doing this in public again?

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:

Apollodorus posted:

But he should see if he can get himself scouted for a college football team, he looks like an NFL player in the making.

Would be pretty cool either way, worked out well for Haloti Ngata who started off as a rugby player from what I recall.

Answers Me
Apr 24, 2012

goatface posted:

So the only way for a fringe player to get into the squad is to hope someone plays poo poo and they get subbed on to do much better?

Maybe the subs on opposing sides will collaborate and just gently caress everyone up until the starters are too injured to go on tour :downs:

DickEmery
Dec 5, 2004

goatface posted:

You know this is Wales yeah?

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
Well, now I know the date when I will officially become an alcoholic:

http://usarugby.org/mens-eagles-news/item/usa-eagles-to-take-on-new-zealand-all-blacks-in-chicago

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin
I'm surprised Lydiate is on the Probables,obviously he's a great player but he's played very little rugby since the 6 Nations.

tag youre fat fucked around with this message at 20:18 on May 13, 2014

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT
I bet all the French players get a kick out of playing against Lydiate Lydiate sounds like l'idiote

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

goatface posted:

The subs usually get extended time in these games, or at least they do when Graham Henry put the trial matches on a couple of times in 2004 and 2005.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!

Vagabundo posted:

The subs usually get extended time in these games, or at least they do when Graham Henry put the trial matches on a couple of times in 2004 and 2005.

God that was a long time ago. I remember going to one of them too. Quite fun to watch and, as you said, the players tended to all get a decent go (half a match at least). I remember Xavier Rush had a good game and got an All Black recall off of it (but only a couple of tests).

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

ElectroMagneticJosh posted:

God that was a long time ago. I remember going to one of them too. Quite fun to watch and, as you said, the players tended to all get a decent go (half a match at least). I remember Xavier Rush had a good game and got an All Black recall off of it (but only a couple of tests).

Yeah, the trial matches were great because it could mean that someone could play themselves into the squad or right out of it. The 2004 trial actually had Deacon Manu at tighthead for the Probables after a strong season with the Chiefs, only to get absolutely mullered by Tony Woodcock of the Possibles, while Simon Maling also bagged himself a spot as the 3rd choice lock behind Chris Jack and Keith Robinson after a strong game for the Possibles.

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Are you going?

Smorgasbord
Jun 18, 2004

Our review identified changes needed to be made and, in Stephen, we have a coach who has a reputation for demanding the highest standards.
I would love to go, catch a Bulls game, hit some museums but I'm scared to look up how much it'd cost, I'm saving for a house on a single NZD salary :(

Smorgasbord fucked around with this message at 11:57 on May 14, 2014

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Mister Chief posted:

Are you going?

Since I heard about it, yeah. At least one of my teammates from my college team lives in Chicago so I can maybe tailgate with him and his team.

USA-Maori was a great time and this has the potential to be even better. A capacity-crowd Soldier Field chanting USA USA USA over the Haka? Yes please.

Pvt. Public
Sep 9, 2004

I am become Death, the Destroyer of Worlds.

Apollodorus posted:

Since I heard about it, yeah. At least one of my teammates from my college team lives in Chicago so I can maybe tailgate with him and his team.

USA-Maori was a great time and this has the potential to be even better. A capacity-crowd Soldier Field chanting USA USA USA over the Haka? Yes please.

The match last year in Philly was a blast, so I expect this one to be more of the same. Plus, it is significantly closer to home for me and my brother lives not far from the stadium, so it'll be much cheaper too!

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

Apollodorus posted:

edit:

I haven't had a chance to watch the weekend's games (besides the Northampton/Wasps blowout) - is there a good SupeRugby game or two I should get to catch up?

I think this post got lost - anyone have a suggestion? I heard Waratahs/Highlanders was good.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...
The first Rabo semi final finished Glasgow 16 - 15 Munster. I need to go lie down in a dark room, the final 10 or so minutes were so nerve wracking. Incredible defence from both sides.

Communist Bear
Oct 7, 2008

Painkiller posted:

The first Rabo semi final finished Glasgow 16 - 15 Munster. I need to go lie down in a dark room, the final 10 or so minutes were so nerve wracking. Incredible defence from both sides.

loving. Italian. Refs.

Why on earth would you let Italian refs - who are not professional and are loving morons - moderate a semi final match?

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Meanwhile, Northampton apparently beat Leicester despite being a man down for much of the second half. The real news is that someone threw a punch that actually connected.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

Grimey Drawer
Nice punch. Did he get a cheer?

tag youre fat
Aug 16, 2013

C'est l'homme ideal
charme au masculin

WMain00 posted:

loving. Italian. Refs.

Why on earth would you let Italian refs - who are not professional and are loving morons - moderate a semi final match?

Yeah,Mitrea was diabolical,there's lenience at the breakdown and then there's just not refereeing it at all.His assistants weren't really helping either,one of them missed a Munster player touching the ball as it went into touch and gave the lineout to Munster when it was clear what had actually happened.I don't think either side was more disadvantaged by him than the other though,and even with a proper ref I think Glasgow would have won.

Vaders Jester
Sep 9, 2009

:scotland:
It's funny because if you read the Munster forums you'd think that the ref was running tries in for Glasgow...

In all seriousness Mitrea was awful and while he and the assistants deserved some of the boos, it was really annoying to see every decision against Glasgow just get booed, made the fans look like they didn't know what the gently caress was going on. (Not that the officials did either, but that's beside the point.)

Exciting game in the last 10 minutes and glad Glasgow won, just need to see who they're playing and where for that matter.

Vaders Jester fucked around with this message at 01:48 on May 17, 2014

tarbrush
Feb 7, 2011

ALL ABOARD THE SCOTLAND HYPE TRAIN!

CHOO CHOO
I'd like to inform all southern hemisphere posters that that Northampton Leicester game that people are referring to was a malicious hoax, and that any photo or video evidence was created by the IRB to defame northern hemisphere rugby.

Especially the second half.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Sharks vs Crusaders - kick off is just minutes away. Is anyone watching?

I picked the Crudaders to win and would be quite surprised if the Sharks won this one.

Edit:
And Jean Deysel just got red carded for a head stomp - 15 minutes into the game and the Sharks are done.

ElectroMagneticJosh fucked around with this message at 08:56 on May 17, 2014

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

Jean Deysel's just been red carded for stomping on the Crusaders 6's head. He'll probably cop a ban for it too. The Sharks are probably hosed.

ElectroMagneticJosh
Oct 13, 2006

Lets Volt In!!
Despite getting a red card the Sharks are only behind by three points at half time. The Crusaders are doing their best to compensate for the Sharks being down a man.

Edit: Okay - I really didn't see that coming.

ElectroMagneticJosh fucked around with this message at 10:13 on May 17, 2014

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Get hosed Crusaders.

Painkiller
Jan 30, 2005

You think the truth will set you free...

WMain00 posted:

loving. Italian. Refs.

They were no more dumb than most of the Irish/Welsh/Scottish refs tbh. This level of officiating isn't out of the ordinary for the Pro 12 and is the biggest thing holding the competition back.

Painkiller fucked around with this message at 10:53 on May 17, 2014

Mister Chief
Jun 6, 2011

Red card for eye gouging given in the last three minutes of the Reds v Rebels game to give the Rebels the win

"...once again robbed by a stupid refereeing decision." - James Horwill.

Apollodorus
Feb 13, 2010

TEST YOUR MIGHT

tarbrush posted:

I'd like to inform all southern hemisphere posters that that Northampton Leicester game that people are referring to was a malicious hoax, and that any photo or video evidence was created by the IRB to defame northern hemisphere rugby.

Especially the second half.

Bullshit, that game was glorious. GLORIOUS. It was everything I could have hoped for - comeback victory, Tom Youngs getting punched, Ben Foden running all over the place, incredibly solid refereeing from all the officials, a nail-biting finish, and did I mention Tom Youngs getting punched?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

irlZaphod
Mar 26, 2004

Kiss the Joycon to Kiss Zelda

Leinster v Ulster: :effort:

• Locked thread