Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Araganzar
May 24, 2003

Needs more cowbell!
Fun Shoe

DDDJohnny posted:

Also here's my terribly cliche Fashion Souls entry, Pizza Turtle Leo, just chillin' in the sewers.

Not enough turtle bros out there. It might be the amount you have to invest in VIT to fast roll in that drat shell. Are there any swords with a moveset like a sai? Anyway, I don't know how you got rid of the ears like that, but yours is amazing. The eyes make it.

Donnie is still looking for you. Here is a selfie he took:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Motherfucker posted:

I've pretty much started unplugging invaders immediately because gently caress laggy russians to death.

Turn on your region lock restriction.

Gastrointestinal Joe
Mar 29, 2010

CJacobs posted:

This is loving amazing.

Thanks! Though I was really hoping there was a headband style piece of headgear, the results are close enough to be recognizable yet firmly in the creepy uncanny valley that is dark souls character creation.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

ComaPrison posted:

Turn on your region lock restriction.

It is on

You would thing Japan would realize Russia isn't Australia but you know.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Motherfucker posted:

It is on

You would thing Japan would realize Russia isn't Australia but you know.

Lol my stereotypical understanding of Japan is that they tend to have a very poor understanding of anything outside of Japan (whether it's geography, history, politics, or economics). They sure seem to love their Western European literature and/or anything French though.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Have you figured it out yet?
Boy a boss that can just kill you in one hit no matter what with an attack that'll get you if you're even remotely close to it even if you start sprinting the moment it does its tell sure is good game design.

I'm using a Mastodon Greatsword +10, lightning infused, using Sunlight Blade as I enter and I hit for a decent amount of damage and the fight is even tense and fun, but once he flies into the air there's a good 25% chance that the fight's over and those aren't good odds when he seems to like doing it constantly. Is there some way to prevent him from flying that I'm missing? Is that the trick?

Is there something I'm missing to the Ancient Dragon or is this it? Should I just respec into an INT build and Soul Geyser this thing to death before it can even attack or what.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

BlackFrost posted:

Boy a boss that can just kill you in one hit no matter what with an attack that'll get you if you're even remotely close to it even if you start sprinting the moment it does its tell sure is good game design.

I'm using a Mastodon Greatsword +10, lightning infused, using Sunlight Blade as I enter and I hit for a decent amount of damage and the fight is even tense and fun, but once he flies into the air there's a good 25% chance that the fight's over and those aren't good odds when he seems to like doing it constantly. Is there some way to prevent him from flying that I'm missing? Is that the trick?

Is there something I'm missing to the Ancient Dragon or is this it? Should I just respec into an INT build and Soul Geyser this thing to death before it can even attack or what.

I've seen plenty of people solo melee him. There are other ways of doing this but my understanding is that this is the easiest way to do it in melee: You should ditch all your armor, ditch your shield if you're using one, two-hand your weapon, and equip Gowen's Ring of Protection + Bracing Knuckle +2. Also carry and be ready to use repair powders to prevent Gowen's Ring from breaking. Also get yourself down to the % of HP necessary to activate red tearstone ring. For your 4th and final ring, Ring of Blades +2 will probably be a good choice. If you lack any of those items, you should start going to see where you need to burn bonfire ascetics to get them. If he flies into the air while you're right under/in front of him, your best best is usually to start running for the tip of his tail. The fire breath spreads a lot more in front/besides him, and hardly goes towards his tail unless he's doing the move where he breaths fire down and behind himself. As far as I know, he only ever does that move when he's on the ground though. It probably also won't hurt for you to spice down the resonant weapon, crystal weapon, or sunlight blade buffs down to usable requirements for you. Spam attacks at his feet but watch out when/if he tries to step on you. It's normal for this to be a boss that one-hit kills you, hence the popularity of Gowen's ring for this boss.

ComaPrison fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 17, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

BlackFrost posted:

If you stay under it it won't fly away, though it can breath fire there as well. Easier to dodge. There's also a ring that blocks damage from the back that makes the boss almost impossible to even take damage to, but you have to be in ng++ or ascetic a bonfire twice. Part of the problem is definitely that lightning doesn't do much to him, though he has a lot of health either way.

Honestly, the Ancient Dragon only drops a Giant Soul and you can just skip it if you want.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Anyone get much mileage out of the Old Sun Ring? So far the damage hasn't been too exciting and it breaks really fast.

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Other than parrying, what are you guys's favorite ways to counter a Santier's Spear user?

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

dis astranagant posted:

Anyone get much mileage out of the Old Sun Ring? So far the damage hasn't been too exciting and it breaks really fast.

I hear people like to use it with ring of thorns +1 or +2 (for the rare people who have the +2). I've also always wondered if Bracing Knuckle +2 durability extension/prolonging will allow the old sun ring to trigger more times before breaking.

Gastrointestinal Joe
Mar 29, 2010

Araganzar posted:

Not enough turtle bros out there. It might be the amount you have to invest in VIT to fast roll in that drat shell. Are there any swords with a moveset like a sai? Anyway, I don't know how you got rid of the ears like that, but yours is amazing. The eyes make it.

Donnie is still looking for you. Here is a selfie he took:

Haha I really hope I can team up with him someday, My dream would be to get all four turtles in the belltower. And as for the ears, they are still there but hidden behind his massive cheekbones.

As far as being able to fast roll yeah its a VIT investment I didn't want to make so i decided to rely on the Third Dragon Ring and the AGL softcap, staying at just under 70 equip weight instead. I mean ill be honest I'm utter garbage at PvP but its enough to dodge almost every spell and (sometimes) weapons long enough for the poison to work.

My favorite is when someone goes in for the backstab and fails completely. Turtle Power!

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Butt Ghost posted:

Is the leveling system rebalanced in this game? I just started playing today, and I'm already level 53.

It's partly that your experience with the first game means you're progressing through this one more quickly, are better at holding onto your souls, and have a better idea how to effectively spend them, but 2 does have a slightly different leveling curve. You've got more stats to invest in now and need to spread your points around a bunch of them to be effective. In DS1 most builds really just needed their one or two chosen damage stats, attunement for casters, and VIT and END to taste; now you still need to build your damage/attunement and health/stamina (which start out lower and, in my experience, become serious limitations that need to be addressed sooner), but pretty much everybody is going to need a decent chunk of ADP and unless you're going really light with your armor/weapon selection you'll probably need to invest in some END too. On top of that, Mundane infusions and the new scaling mechanics for pyromancy and hexes mean there's incentive to build more stats instead of only seriously investing in one or two. The end result is that your character starts out weaker but levels up more quickly, and while your build reaches its effective maximum at around the same time (right around the end of NG) you finish out at a higher soul level (the most commonly cited 'cap' is SL150).

Araganzar posted:

Are there any swords with a moveset like a sai?

Daggers are probably the most sai-like weapons you're going to find. The Parrying Dagger and Royal Dirk are vaguely shaped like one, at least, and the Royal Dirk is actually really long for a dagger.

Opposing Farce fucked around with this message at 08:19 on May 17, 2014

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

ComaPrison posted:

I've seen plenty of people solo melee him. There are other ways of doing this but my understanding is that this is the easiest way to do it in melee: You should ditch all your armor, ditch your shield if you're using one, two-hand your weapon, and equip Gowen's Ring of Protection + Bracing Knuckle +2. Also carry and be ready to use repair powders to prevent Gowen's Ring from breaking. Also get yourself down to the % of HP necessary to activate red tearstone ring. For your 4th and final ring, Ring of Blades +2 will probably be a good choice. If you lack any of those items, you should start going to see where you need to burn bonfire ascetics to get them. If he flies into the air while you're right under/in front of him, your best best is usually to start running for the tip of his tail. The fire breath spreads a lot more in front/besides him, and hardly goes towards his tail unless he's doing the move where he breaths fire down and behind himself. As far as I know, he only ever does that move when he's on the ground though. It probably also won't hurt for you to spice down the resonant weapon, crystal weapon, or sunlight blade buffs down to usable requirements for you. Spam attacks at his feet but watch out when/if he tries to step on you. It's normal for this to be a boss that one-hit kills you, hence the popularity of Gowen's ring for this boss.

When you say "tip of his tail" do you mean before or after he takes off? Cause he twirls a bit in midair before breathing a lot of the time.

I was hoping to not have to resort to bonfire ascetic or anything just to make part of the game easier. If it gets to that point though... and yeah, I realize I could skip the fight since he drops garbage anyway, but what's the fun in that? :suicide:

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Opposing Farce posted:

It's partly that your experience with the first game means you're progressing through this one more quickly, are better at holding onto your souls, and have a better idea how to effectively spend them, but 2 does have a slightly different leveling curve. You've got more stats to invest in now and need to spread your points around a bunch of them to be effective. In DS1 most builds really just needed their one or two chosen damage stats, attunement for casters, and VIT and END to taste; now you still need to build your damage/attunement and health/stamina (which start out lower and, in my experience, become serious limitations that need to be addressed sooner), but pretty much everybody is going to need a decent chunk of ADP and unless you're going really light with your armor/weapon selection you'll probably need to invest in some END too. On top of that, Mundane infusions and the new scaling mechanics for pyromancy and hexes mean there's incentive to build more stats instead of only seriously investing in one or two. The end result is that your character starts out weaker but levels up more quickly, and while your build reaches its effective maximum at around the same time (right around the end of NG) you finish out at a higher soul level (the generally accepted 'cap' is 150).

In addition, I'd like to add several notes. If you're going heavy on attunement, you literally don't need adaptability. 99 attunement and 4 adaptability has my agility at 107. According to the latest experimental data for i-frames vs agility, there's no improvement on number of i-frames from 106-114. Just hit 105 and you'll be set (unless you have enough to go straight up to 115 agi).

Rudager
Apr 29, 2008
Welp finally finished, time to do it all again!

Fashion Souls: The Judge is in.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

ComaPrison posted:

I hear people like to use it with ring of thorns +1 or +2 (for the rare people who have the +2). I've also always wondered if Bracing Knuckle +2 durability extension/prolonging will allow the old sun ring to trigger more times before breaking.

Ring of Thorns +2 location posted:

Invade a random world and defeat the host player 1000 times

What the gently caress.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

BlackFrost posted:

When you say "tip of his tail" do you mean before or after he takes off? Cause he twirls a bit in midair before breathing a lot of the time.

I was hoping to not have to resort to bonfire ascetic or anything just to make part of the game easier. If it gets to that point though... and yeah, I realize I could skip the fight since he drops garbage anyway, but what's the fun in that? :suicide:

When he's in the air the tip of the tail is a safe spot, but you have to already be near the tail when it takes off to get there before it belches fire.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

BlackFrost posted:

I guess you'll have to wait for him to finish twirling before you can see which way to run. The thing about the Gowen's ring though is it'll give you the option of simply running away from him, so that his breath hits your back (doing no damage). Then again, you'll have to use bonfire ascetic for that ring so yeah. If you're against it, I don't know what to tell you. I've seen one recording of someone doing it without Gowen's, without hex/pyro/sorcery/miracles, purely melee. It was an impressive feat and I can't quite recall how exactly he pulled it off. I believe it involved red tearstone ring with a starting hp % low enough to activate it, a mundane broken santier's spear (with the necessary stat build to optimize it), a weapon buff (possibly/probably spiced down) or if not then a weapon buff consumable item, and repeated uses of the spinny "lightsaber kid meme/darth maul" combo attack.

ComaPrison fucked around with this message at 08:25 on May 17, 2014

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

ComaPrison posted:

I guess you'll have to wait for him to finish twirling before you can see which way to run. The thing about the Gowen's ring though is it'll give you the option of simply running away from him, so that his breath hits your back (doing no damage). Then again, you'll have to use bonfire ascetic for that ring so yeah. If you're against it, I don't know what to tell you. I've seen one recording of someone doing it without Gowen's, without hex/pyro/sorcery/miracles, purely melee. It was an impressive feat and I can't quite recall how exactly he pulled it off. I believe it involved red tearstone ring with a starting hp % low enough to activate it, a mundane santier's spear (with the necessary stat build to optimize it), and a weapon buff (possibly/probably spiced down)

You just get under the dragon, he won't fly off if someone's under him.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Okay I think I get the "Tip of the tail" thing. Basically just start running for his tail as he goes up. If he rotates, keep on it. That time, I got a little eager to keep up with in and his tail crushed me, heh. But I got him down to 25%, so this method seems to be working.

Manatee Cannon posted:

I've been staying under him the whole fight and he definitely takes off once every few stomp attempts.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Manatee Cannon posted:

Edit: weird double/delayed post.

Gortarius
Jun 6, 2013

idiot
Is PVP supposed to net you something? I just won a couple of honorable duels at the pvp bridge and got jack poo poo for my efforts as far as I can tell.

Also, I can't get bluecop orbs to work. I'm in the proper covenant and the item is either greyed out or when it is not, it just tells me immediately on use that COULD NOT FIND TARGET or whatever. Whats going on here? Joining the bell covenant afterwards hasn't gotten me summoned once to protect the bell.

I don't get this pvp shyte.

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Manatee Cannon posted:

Cool. I wouldn't know, as I only fought and beat him back when I was a pure caster. Haven't so much as considered re-fighting him since then.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Cleared all the way to Freja after using a second ascetic. I really hope my soul memory isn't too low to be summoned/summon because I use most of my spell casts just getting here :v:

Evidently not, didn't wait long to be summoned

Edit: loving game crashed after beating her so I'm no longer hollow but didn't restore estus/spells

Jose fucked around with this message at 08:33 on May 17, 2014

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Gortarius posted:

Is PVP supposed to net you something? I just won a couple of honorable duels at the pvp bridge and got jack poo poo for my efforts as far as I can tell.

Also, I can't get bluecop orbs to work. I'm in the proper covenant and the item is either greyed out or when it is not, it just tells me immediately on use that COULD NOT FIND TARGET or whatever. Whats going on here? Joining the bell covenant afterwards hasn't gotten me summoned once to protect the bell.

You don't much like to read do you?(chill, I'm messing with you) There's plenty of discussion and/or wiki material on how summoning ranges, cracked blue eye orbs, etc. works.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

BlackFrost posted:

Okay I think I get the "Tip of the tail" thing. Basically just start running for his tail as he goes up. If he rotates, keep on it. That time, I got a little eager to keep up with in and his tail crushed me, heh. But I got him down to 25%, so this method seems to be working.

I've been staying under him the whole fight and he definitely takes off once every few stomp attempts.

Where are you standing? When I've been directly under it it never takes off, but when I just stand to the side near one foot for too long it'll take off. Try baiting the stomps. Having fought it alone and for other people, so long as one person has been under it the dragon has never taken off for me. Though it can breathe fire on it's stomach.

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Gortarius posted:

PVP gets you a fairly small soul reward (unless you kill someone way higher level than you). It only gives something else if you're in a covenant (chunks for bell keepers, I believe a lockstone and a rat tail for ratbros, token of spite for BoB folks, dragon scale for dragon worshipers).

If you're not in NG+, it's a lot harder to get hits with the blue orbs since the standard sin-getting behavior is to murder all the NPCs for their stuff before going into NG+. When you get the no target message you just need to spam it in the hopes that it'll find someone eventually.

To get summoned to defend the belfry you need to be wearing the ring and be in an area that lets you get summoned from it; if the covenant symbol by your health bar is pulsing that means it's working. If that isn't getting you anything you're just unlucky.

RBA Starblade
Apr 28, 2008

Going Home.

Games Idiot Court Jester

Gortarius posted:

Joining the bell covenant afterwards hasn't gotten me summoned once to protect the bell.

Put the ring on and wait somewhere where the icon in the upper left starts to glow and pulse. Don't actually be in the belfries. Your reward for winning will be titanite chunks. Winning soapstone duels gets you souls. The belfry action also dries up and dies really quickly past 800k soul memory so do it sooner rather than later.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uWgBKOK2-Y

Yeah, ....yeah, I think I'm just going to skip the Ancient Dragon. :v:

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

BlackFrost posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3uWgBKOK2-Y

Yeah, ....yeah, I think I'm just going to skip the Ancient Dragon. :v:

Best place to stand is in front the leg, just between the big toe and the next one.

If you think that's bullshit wait til you shadebro with someone and get launched outside of the arena

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...
Ancient Dragon secretly inherited Priscilla's soul and is exacting vengeance on everyone who would attack a peaceful monstrosity rather than leaving it be.

BlackFrost
Feb 6, 2008

Alan Smithee posted:

Best place to stand is in front the leg, just between the big toe and the next one.

If you think that's bullshit wait til you shadebro with someone and get launched outside of the arena

Ah, okay. ...Maybe I'll give it another go. Not tonight, though. Also he seems to get a big defense boost while lifting and stomping his leg, was trying to score in some hits on the opposite leg as I baited the stomp but I guess the giant dragon with the huge amount of HP can't be made any easier huh.

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

I'm not sure I quite understand the Santier's Spear hype. Seems like a lot of rear end pain to get an above average twinblade.

Magus42
Jan 12, 2007

Oh no you di'n't

DDDJohnny posted:

Uh hey I know nobody has really complained about Sinners Rise bonfire in a while. but if those 3 Crossbowmen are pissing you off, just put the bonfires sword in between you and them. Blocks every bolt, counter snipe at your leisure.

I just killed them over and over until they stopped spawning when I first hit that bonfire.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

BlackFrost posted:

Ah, okay. ...Maybe I'll give it another go. Not tonight, though. Also he seems to get a big defense boost while lifting and stomping his leg, was trying to score in some hits on the opposite leg as I baited the stomp but I guess the giant dragon with the huge amount of HP can't be made any easier huh.

Yeah, bait and stomp was how I did it. He'd still fly up to do the breath attack now and then and I'd have to make my way back under there. Honestly there's no easy way to do it. He just has a buttload of health

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Magus42 posted:

I just killed them over and over until they stopped spawning when I first hit that bonfire.

Another alternative is to roll/sprint to the ladder. Unless you're fat rolling/fat walking, you should make it way before they can shoot you.

Jose
Jul 24, 2007

Adrian Chiles is a broadcaster and writer
Ashen Knight Boyd is ridiculous in the Freja fight. Second bonfire ascetic used and the 3rd phantom died upon entering but Boyd survived the entire fight. Thank gently caress for that.

Edit: Had to use all of the boss souls I'd collected but finally have the stats the use the Moonlight Greatsword. Should I infuse it using a faint stone and how rare are petrified dragon bones? I've got it to +2 so far

If I kill Straid will he drop the Staff of Wisdom?

Jose fucked around with this message at 09:59 on May 17, 2014

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

dis astranagant posted:

I'm not sure I quite understand the Santier's Spear hype. Seems like a lot of rear end pain to get an above average twinblade.

Its got all the best moves of quite a few weapon types and absolutely spanks in pvp to such a degree its considered the melee avelyn.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Jose posted:

Ashen Knight Boyd is ridiculous in the Freja fight. Second bonfire ascetic used and the 3rd phantom died upon entering but Boyd survived the entire fight. Thank gently caress for that.

Edit: Had to use all of the boss souls I'd collected but finally have the stats the use the Moonlight Greatsword. Should I infuse it using a faint stone and how rare are petrified dragon bones? I've got it to +2 so far

You get 10 or so in the Dragon Aerie and you can ascetic it without having to fight a boss for another 10 (and a ton of all other materials too). The MGLS is actually not that good anymore since you can't buff it and everybody dodges the nuke.