Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

First Bass posted:

Nobody stands like that. :colbert: I appreciate that the armor isn't particularly dumb by fantasy standards, but that pose makes my spine hurt just looking at it.

Yeah, it's pretty much exactly the same impossible "rear end and tits visible at the same time" pose that gets used all the time in comic books.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Deofuta
Jul 7, 2013

The Corps is Mother
The Corps is Father
Played modern tonight for the first time, did surprisingly well with a red burn deck. Took third overall and won my first couple packs since I've started attending. Managed to open up a thoughtseize, overall a very nice night! Now to take that and turn it into some goblin guides or blood moons.

rabidsquid
Oct 11, 2004

LOVES THE KOG

Downtown Abey posted:

Goon Revo, aka Cory Lack, is 6-2 today after starting off 1-2 in the draft. His constructed list is the nuts.

Apparently there is no day 1 coverage anywhere, what kind of deck is he running?

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
Just watched the Chapin/Mengucci match on Youtube. It was hilarious how visibly upset Mengucci was after miscalculating Game 1 and subsequently completely misplaying, then scooping, a game he totally still had a chance of coming back from.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

qbert posted:

Just watched the Chapin/Mengucci match on Youtube. It was hilarious how visibly upset Mengucci was after miscalculating Game 1 and subsequently completely misplaying, then scooping, a game he totally still had a chance of coming back from.

While he was certainly tilting, Chapin was pretty ahead. He had two Silence the Believers in hand at that point.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.

Zorak posted:

While he was certainly tilting, Chapin was pretty ahead. He had two Silence the Believers in hand at that point.

Well Chapin only had 1 after the attack, as he used one to kill a Courser and a token. I believe it was 3 Caryatids on Mengucci's side vs 2 Caryatids, Courser, and Brimaz. Mengucci was like at 17 life, so if he topdecks Elspeth he's back in the game and probably ahead. If he gets Stormbreath, Stormbreath, he probably wins. Even a Banishing Light stalls the game long enough, probably. Really no reason to scoop there.

qbert fucked around with this message at 07:49 on May 17, 2014

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Jenx posted:

Well I guess it depends on how you want to play it? Our playgroup has decided on these rules:

1. Your commander must be an uncommon creature.
2. Your deck is 60 cards (not counting the commander), singleton, all commons.
3. Starting life totals are 30, commander damage is 16.
4. Invisible Stalker is banned, because gently caress you.

In general 3 or 4 person games run quite fast. I have a Bellowing Tanglewurm and a Noxious Ghoul deck, and another guy plays a Fluxcharger deck with nothing but fliers and spells, and that thing stomps face pretty hard too.

I'd make a Goblin Recruiter deck.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

kingcobweb posted:

I'd make a Goblin Recruiter deck.

Dragonsoul Knight would be an interesting commander.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Ramos posted:

Dragonsoul Knight would be an interesting commander.

Does it work by the same rules as normal Commander? God, I hope not. What a stupid loving set of rules.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

kingcobweb posted:

Does it work by the same rules as normal Commander? God, I hope not. What a stupid loving set of rules.

Five color pauper EDH deck sounds pretty cool to me. But yes, under regular Commander rules, Dragonsoul Knight would allow you to have a five color deck since he has every color identity.

kingcobweb
Apr 16, 2005

Ramos posted:

Five color pauper EDH deck sounds pretty cool to me. But yes, under regular Commander rules, Dragonsoul Knight would allow you to have a five color deck since he has every color identity.

Oh, that's slightly less stupid than I assumed. Carry on.

Music For Cats
May 30, 2011

I have a rules question: My opponent has a Satyr Hoplite enchanted with a Mogis's Warhound and an Oppressive Rays, does my opponent have to attack and pay 3 if able?

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

Music For Cats posted:

I have a rules question: My opponent has a Satyr Hoplite enchanted with a Mogis's Warhound and an Oppressive Rays, does my opponent have to attack and pay 3 if able?

Unless he or she already has 3 in his mana pool, nope! Your opponent doesn't have mana to pay for his creature to attack, which means it isn't able to attack. He or she isn't required to generate mana.

Molybdenum
Jun 25, 2007
Melting Point ~2622C
He's allowed to not pay, then the guy can't attack. So he's a beefy blocker (5/5?)

Music For Cats
May 30, 2011

Thanks, I have never had that come up before.

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

qbert posted:

Even a Banishing Light stalls the game long enough, probably. Really no reason to scoop there.

After the courser came down and revealed the land. he should have responded to the life gain trigger by magma jetting Elspeth. I don't know why he sat there hating himself for Chapin's whole turn instead of reacting to what was going on. I know I'll never be on the pro tour, and it's easier to back-seat drive when there's nothing on the line for me, but you gotta switch gears pretty quick when your burn is no longer lethal.

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
But if the opponent did have the mana in their pool from, say, some big Nykthos activation, they'd have to do it right?

Mouth Ze Dong
Jan 2, 2005

Aint no thing like me, 'cept me.

goferchan posted:

But if the opponent did have the mana in their pool from, say, some big Nykthos activation, they'd have to do it right?

Your mana pool empties at the ends of all steps and phases, so when the "declare attackers" phase of combat begins, any mana previously generated is gone, and the warhound/enchanted creature isn't required to attack.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Let's Read Journey Into Nyx: Chapter Four

Sam Burley, Temple of Malice, BNG

We meet Rhordon the Rageblood, a shaman in the Temple of Malice. Who seems like he might be an interesting character and relevant to themes of the book. If this wasn't a licenced Magic novel by a mediocre writer, I would look forward to future scenes with him, the growth of his personality and how he continued to reflect ideas from the narrative. As it is ... yeah, not so much. Still, kudos to Helland for making at least a good step.

Mike Bierek, Rageblood Shaman, THS

Okay, yeah, why's he interesting or relevant? He's a minotaur oracle, who's stopped in the middle of beating up a leonin prisoner in some sort of ritual gladiatorial fight, to contemplate its atheism and probable (lack of) an afterlife. I like. He also returns to the Daxos idea of oracles lacking their gods and rediscovering their rather ragged own selves without constant divine commands. Rhordon in particular is neat because he was an oracle of the Twin Gods: Mogis starts yelling in his skull about carnage and slaughter; Iroas would pop up to commend discipline, restraint and only honourable warfare. Where my interpretation of Daxos as struggling with/upset by his freedom is a reading into the subtext, here it's explicit: "Now his brain was asserting his independence. And he didn’t like it."

Pete Mohrbacher, Brimaz, King of Oreskos, BNG

This leonin may in fact be Brimaz because he has a fancy sword. Rhordon passes off his hesitation as wanting to execute the prisoner with his own blade, because otherwise his own tribe are likely to rip him to bits. Rhordon gets the shiny sword and promptly beheads him. Farewell, possibly Brimaz.

Chase Stone, Dictate of the Twin Gods promo, JOU

Xenagos comes in while the minotaurs are eating the leonin corpse, bringing two of his own Nyxborn minotaur bodyguards. Rhordon's oracle powers say there's something a little off with them. Xenagos spins a story about Iroas cheating the Silence to help Akros and Mogis sending an army of Nyxborn minotaurs to help his own people. Xenagos 'captured' them, but will return them to the minotaurs if they go sack Akros. Rhordon is given some pause by the fact that only Mogis should be able to create Nyxborn minotaurs, but is still intelligent enough to see Xenagos is lying. He sets his warriors on the satyr.

Matt Stewart, Fanatic of Mogis, THS

One of the bodyguards takes an attacking minotaur apart, and Xenagos uses magic to put Rhordon down. Rhordon can respect that, at least. He listens to Xenagos. Helland's awkward use of conjunctions comes to the fore again: “And I will tell you how to destroy Akros, and you will be Rhordon, Conqueror of Akros.”

Pete Mohrbacher, Mogis, God of Slaughter, BNG

In any case, Xenagos comes up with possibly the most obvious plan to stop the problem of conquering Akros - don't be dumb fucks and get yourself caught between the wandering armies and the home forces. Why this is revelatory to any Theros warrior is beyond me, and if this is why Akros still stands, it's just stupid. Anyway, Mogis seems to rumble his approval, and a young minotaur rushes in at exactly the right time with a report of minotaur heads on the walls of Akros: 'proof' that Iroas is setting his city against the minotaurs. I have an issue with the timing - if it happened by itself, I'd chalk it up to manipulation from Xenagos, but the manipulation here is the minotaur heads, which are created Nyxborn heads that he planted. The messenger just gets to be extremely convenient all by himself. And so now the minotaurs will march to war.

This chapter took 3% of the book. The last one took 13%. Stop it Helland, this is messing my posts up.

Kabanaw
Jan 27, 2012

The real Pokemon begins here

End of Life Guy posted:

After the courser came down and revealed the land. he should have responded to the life gain trigger by magma jetting Elspeth. I don't know why he sat there hating himself for Chapin's whole turn instead of reacting to what was going on. I know I'll never be on the pro tour, and it's easier to back-seat drive when there's nothing on the line for me, but you gotta switch gears pretty quick when your burn is no longer lethal.

Pretty sure he was tapped out on Chapin's turn.

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013
I've been messing around with my Esper Control deck since JOU came out. After playing FNM last night I've determined that Archangel of Thune + Nyx-Fleece Ram on the board pretty much means my opponent should forfeit :getin:

kirtar
Sep 11, 2011

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

morning wood posted:

I've been messing around with my Esper Control deck since JOU came out. After playing FNM last night I've determined that Archangel of Thune + Nyx-Fleece Ram on the board pretty much means my opponent should forfeit :getin:

Did you beat someone down with a pumped up nyx-fleece ram?

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

King Macar seems like a pretty good card and it's only about 40 cents, worth picking up? (Speaking of obsolete mechanics)

morning wood
Oct 2, 2013

kirtar posted:

Did you beat someone down with a pumped up nyx-fleece ram?

*Two pumped up rams. I got two counters on each ram every upkeep from my rams triggering archangel plus another counter from attacking with archangel. It was a beautiful thing.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

change my name posted:

King Macar seems like a pretty good card and it's only about 40 cents, worth picking up? (Speaking of obsolete mechanics)

His main deal is that if he can attack just once without dying, he's gone a long way to putting the game under your control. The problem is that is rather hard to do in competitive Magic. Otherwise, hell yes. Macar kicks loads of rear end, use him. Free mana and dead dudes left and right.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I really hope they print a good card with "tap a creature" in it's activation cost in the upcoming Core Set.

That or bring back Convoke, really.

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Ramos posted:

His main deal is that if he can attack just once without dying, he's gone a long way to putting the game under your control. The problem is that is rather hard to do in competitive Magic. Otherwise, hell yes. Macar kicks loads of rear end, use him. Free mana and dead dudes left and right.

Ah I wasn't even thinking of having him attack to get him tapped, but by using other cards.

Toshimo
Aug 23, 2012

He's outta line...

But he's right!

TheKingofSprings posted:

I really hope they print a good card with "tap a creature" in it's activation cost in the upcoming Core Set.

Opposition M15 make this happen Wizards.

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

change my name posted:

Ah I wasn't even thinking of having him attack to get him tapped, but by using other cards.

Ah, fair enough, there is a lot of stuff to do that with, I just tend to be aggro minded as of late.

Turns out Prophetic Flamespeaker is a really awesome card for burn, on that note. It makes me rather sad that everyone immediately removes him upon appearance on the board though.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

TheKingofSprings posted:

Isn't that the entire point of Springleaf Drum?

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

GoutPatrol posted:

Isn't that the entire point of Springleaf Drum?

A good card.

Angry Grimace
Jul 29, 2010

ACTUALLY IT IS VERY GOOD THAT THE SHOW IS BAD AND ANYONE WHO DOESN'T REALIZE WHY THAT'S GOOD IS AN IDIOT. JUST ENJOY THE BAD SHOW INSTEAD OF THINKING.

Ramos posted:

Macar is a complete house in Limited. Probably one of the biggest ones in the block. If you're facing him down without good removal or a very good board state, you're probably going to lose.

demons.
Apr 20, 2012

Angry Grimace posted:

Macar is a complete house in Limited. Probably one of the biggest ones in the block. If you're facing him down without good removal or a very good board state, you're probably going to lose.

Yes. I won a sealed prerelease with this guy. If your opponents dont have an answer to him it's GG.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

The PT coverage gets even more embarrassing than I thought watching a wizard poker tournament on my living room TV could be when they start awkwardly trying to be coy about Conspiracy.

"We're going to go back to the desk to get some answers about something a lot of people have been asking about."
"I have no idea what that man is talking about. We're going to go to lunch, then...maybe we'll talk about that. I don't know."

I mean, it's either bad teasing for Conspiracy or it's just their coverage being poorly scripted.

Skillface
Oct 7, 2012

Boxman posted:

The PT coverage gets even more embarrassing than I thought watching a wizard poker tournament on my living room TV could be when they start awkwardly trying to be coy about Conspiracy.

"We're going to go back to the desk to get some answers about something a lot of people have been asking about."
"I have no idea what that man is talking about. We're going to go to lunch, then...maybe we'll talk about that. I don't know."

I mean, it's either bad teasing for Conspiracy or it's just their coverage being poorly scripted.

There have been SEVERAL instances of "Okay we're going to take a quick break and will be back after these messages. *cuts to live look-in of another match* or I guess we're just gonna look at this other match!" so far this weekend.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Boxman posted:

It's Conspiracy teasing. They're trying to buy for time because they're not set up for Conspiracy yet. Supposedly it'll be ready in ~ ten minutes, apparently there's technical issues of some kind (no idea).

mcnealys baby
Nov 3, 2002

ohhh here we go
PT coverage is always kind of a mess. Wizards just can't get its poo poo together around streaming and coverage of events.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

mcnealys baby posted:

PT coverage is always kind of a mess. Wizards just can't get its poo poo together around streaming and coverage of events.

I think they're just waaay too understaffed.

http://www.twitch.tv/magic Conspiracy spoilers imminent SUPPOSEDLY.

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
ITS GOING

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005
Conspiracy's are drafted and go into your command zone, not being part of your maindeck. You can reveal them at any time to reveal the Conspiracy effect.

• Locked thread