Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Someone put that dog out of its misery.

The dog looks different again, so I imagine that someone already did. Yet again Phil's dog has died, so he replaced it with another white dog, put a bandanna on it, and said "good enough". Nancy and Sluggo, being children, do not question the dog's shifting appearance, unaware that had they left the original dog in its yard, many canine deaths could have been prevented.

Seriously though Gilchrist's art is awful and he can't keep the dog looking the same in back-to-back strips. Phil's appearance is rather mercurial as well, even ignoring the amazing tripling in body mass, actually.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

cobalt impurity
Apr 23, 2010

I hope he didn't care about that pizza.

Roland Jones posted:

The dog looks different again, so I imagine that someone already did. Yet again Phil's dog has died, so he replaced it with another white dog, put a bandanna on it, and said "good enough". Nancy and Sluggo, being children, do not question the dog's shifting appearance, unaware that had they left the original dog in its yard, many canine deaths could have been prevented.

Seriously though Gilchrist's art is awful and he can't keep the dog looking the same in back-to-back strips. Phil's appearance is rather mercurial as well, even ignoring the amazing tripling in body mass, actually.

Phil's eyes migrate up and down his forehead in the three panels of just this comic.

gently caress you, Guy Gilchrist.

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:
So Phil is looking at a pay raise of what, nothing? Nothing fifty? Again, he volunteers at a mission.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Luann

Well, this is super humorous and doesn't make me feel sad at all. :smithicide:

Apartment 3-G

Pros & Cons

Probably Magic
Oct 9, 2012

Looking cute, feeling cute.
Scary Gary

VictorGrunn
Feb 15, 2004
Ye Guilty

Magic Hate Ball posted:

Someone put that dog out of its misery.

I can roll with the Nancy plots. A bit heavy-handed with the old-fashioned stuff, but whatever, it's interesting to me to see that perspective. But that dog? Hot drat I hate that dog. The way it's always way, way too happy and excited all the time. The American Flag neckerchief thing that's just so... I don't know, over the top and obvious?

Nancy and Sluggo, fine. The romance thing, sure. Fumble hulking out? Okay. "Old-fashioned morals"? Alright. But that dog? That's over the line.

I think maybe what's up is I was into Garfield as a kid, and dogs who are always that happy all the time in a comic make me expect a cat to kick them off the table, but the moment never comes.

Murdstone
Jun 14, 2005

I'm feeling Jimmy

F Minus

Mary Worth

You can do other, exciting things besides the janitor stuff, like making sandwiches, or cashier duty!

Rex Morgan MD

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Don't you DARE try to look for reasons you might not hate this job! :argh:

quote:

Rex Morgan MD

Oh no! The lady we've never met is causing trouble at the job we've never seen June do!

Sally Forth

Wasn't Watchmen pretty well recieved?

The Amazing Spider-Man

I suppose. :)

Juliet Jones

You're pretty gross, Grady.

Phantom Classic

Midnight Moth
Sep 14, 2007

What the hell, dude??
I'm like, right here.
Gil

I watched Thomas the Tank Engine a few times as a kid and remember gently caress all about it except there being a pissed off caboose.

Retail

You missed a prime opportunity to sign up a customer to the Grumbel's e-mail list. Bad salesmanship. If you can't even do this how are you ever going to succeed at that independent store you want Marla? You'll still have the same customers to deal with but instead of corporate's money being on the line to mismanage, it'll be yours.

Bleeker the Rechargeable Dog

Someone's gonna get hurt! (Skip probably being a fleshbag.)

Dustin

I'm curious what Meg was planning to eat. Because here's it's usually hot dogs.

On the Fastrack

Uh...

Safe Havens

Christ. Stringing it on a necklace or even stuffing it in your bra would've been better.

Midnight Moth fucked around with this message at 08:47 on May 17, 2014

Fuck Your Website
Nov 29, 2003
FUCK YOU, AND FUCK YOUR WEBSITE

Julet Esqu posted:

Wasn't Watchmen pretty well recieved?

I can see Ted being pissed at what they changed from the book.

Julet Esqu
May 6, 2007

Radio Patrol

Just checked, and looks like 50 1944 dollars would be equivalent to $669.68 today. That coat is no joke.

Rip Kirby

Big Ben Bolt

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Wanamingo posted:

Inspector Danger's Crime Quiz

Oh yeah, guess who totally figured this one out. :smuggo:
The mechanic did it, because Inspector Danger knows he's bipolar.

EasyEW
Mar 8, 2006

I've got my father's great big six-shooter with me 'n' if anybody in this woods wants to start somethin' just let 'em--but they DASSN'T.
Skippy (February 26, 1927)

Peanuts (May 20, 1967)

There's an answer to that, and it's buried in the question "Why are you sleeping on the roof of the house?"

Funky Winkerbean: AND NOW...THE PAYOFF!

HA! HA!

Well, at least it wasn't another week of creeping misery. Thanks for letting us catch our breath, Tom! Maybe if you did it more often it wouldn't be so jarring a transition.

Popeye

Rip Haywire, in which I just realized that the old witch lady would be a dead ringer for Mammy Yokum if you gave her a corn cob pipe. Sadly, you just aren't allowed to enjoy smoking anymore in pop culture. OBAMA! :argh:

Pogo (May 19, 1956)

Droodles (May 19, 1956)

Out Our Way (December 26-27, 1924)

Looking back wistfully on when your relatives tried to give you cancer.

EasyEW fucked around with this message at 09:03 on May 17, 2014

Tiggum
Oct 24, 2007

Your life and your quest end here.

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

You can do other, exciting things besides the janitor stuff, like making sandwiches, or cashier duty!

Just think! If you play your cards right and make a good impression, someday you may be assistant manager of a local sandwich restaurant!

NRVNQSR
Mar 1, 2009

Tiggum posted:

Just think! If you play your cards right and make a good impression, someday you may be assistant manager of a local sandwich restaurant!

All the danger and dubious morality of dealing meth, with none of the glamour!

tiistai
Nov 1, 2012

Solo Melodica
Fingerpori

Heimo in the boy scouts:
- Ismo and Tuukka, pitch a tent!
- Heimo, chop some logs
After an hour:
- What is that??
- A chopper

Heimo is told to "make logs", so he makes a "chopper". Both are pronounced as halkoja.

...I'm bored, so here's some more unnecessary details. Halkoa is the basic form of the verb "to chop" or "to split (in half)". The suffix -ja works much in the same way as "-er" does in English, denoting someone/something that does the verb in question: juoksee -> juoksija "he runs -> a runner", halkoo -> halkoja "he chops -> a chopper". Halko means a single chopped wooden log. Just so happens that its partitive (i.e. object, indeterminate amount) plural form ("some logs") is also halkoja: it has the plural marker -j- (which normally would be -i- but because of morphological reasons is often pronounced as -j- in plural partitives) and the partitive -A (capital A meaning either a or ä).

The Finnish grammar is surprisingly logically structured. The problem is that it's still pretty convoluted.

tiistai fucked around with this message at 14:12 on May 17, 2014

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Johnny Walker posted:

Mary Worth

Ha ha! Look at that wacky kid who doesn't understand that you work at a job! Kids these days, amirite?

Hwurmp
May 20, 2005

Selachian posted:

Ha ha! Look at that wacky kid who doesn't understand that you work at a job! Kids these days, amirite?

It's not as if a liquor drinking piece of poo poo like him could ever hope to rise above the minimum-wage food service peon caste, anyway!

TofuDiva
Aug 22, 2010

Playin' Possum

Muldoon

EasyEW posted:

Rip Haywire

Rip Haywire is secretly a fish.

I wish I could remember who did it, but did anybody save that edit from several threads ago where characters' heads swam across the screen?

BlankIsBeautiful
Apr 4, 2008

Feeling a little inadequate?
I don't find Zachary NJ creepy or fetish-y yet. However, it is the epitome of disjointed. Jane's World is more coherent than ZNJ.

Julet Esqu posted:

Luann

Well, this is super humorous and doesn't make me feel sad at all. :smithicide:

This is horrible. There's nothing that can gently caress up a kid more (well, with the exception of horrible parents) than a teacher who doesn't give a gently caress.

Non Sequitur

Ok, pretty good, Wiley, I laughed at that. Although, I guess he could just be going to a costume party wearing a costume in bad taste.

Heavenly Nostrils

Unicorn!

9 Chickweed Lane 5/17/2003

You know, once the water gets in under the grout, the tiles start falling off, and then your wall begins leaking. Stop hallucinating and fix the grout Juliette.

Zits

Everybody got their hip flask of vodka? Right! Let's go! :v:

Kevin & Kell

Do bicyclists do this to motorcyclists too?

GorfZaplen
Jan 20, 2012

Emmy Lou

Heathcliff

Mandrake the Magicican

The Phantom

Pickles

Classic Prince Valiant

hexwren
Feb 27, 2008

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Do bicyclists do this to motorcyclists too?

No, bicyclists are generally too busy either trying not to die in traffic or being smugly superior to people with engines.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Really not sure what compels Mandrake and Basil, or whatever, to believe the one eyewitness named by the suspect over the multiple independent ones.

Kennel
May 1, 2008

BAWWW-UNH!

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

"I'm bored of simply killing barbarians. Let's invent an amusing way to kill them!" :haw:

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light

C'mon, grandma, that's the classic "if I gently caress it up enough, you won't ask me to do it again" bit.

Mercedes Colomar
Nov 1, 2008

by Jeffrey of YOSPOS
Tina's Groove

Family Circus

Rose is Rose

One Big Happy

Mother Goose & Grimm

Foob

Compu-Toon

Bizarro

Dilbert

Redeye Flight
Mar 26, 2010

God, I'm so tired. What the hell did I post last night?

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Heavenly Nostrils

Unicorn!

Copyright law is one of the most powerful forces in the universe.

Hel
Oct 9, 2012

Jokatgulm is tedium.
Jokatgulm is pain.
Jokatgulm is suffering.

BlankIsBeautiful posted:

Heavenly Nostrils

Unicorn!

Is this like the old ROM myth? where if you delete the files after 24 hours it's not illegal.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Midnight Moth posted:

Retail

You missed a prime opportunity to sign up a customer to the Grumbel's e-mail list. Bad salesmanship. If you can't even do this how are you ever going to succeed at that independent store you want Marla? You'll still have the same customers to deal with but instead of corporate's money being on the line to mismanage, it'll be yours.

The correct answer is to tell them they can buy it now, and if it goes on sale you'll refund the difference. You make the sale right there, they get warm fuzzies about how you'll take care of them, and then there is a .001% chance they actually notice the sale and take the trouble to get the refund. If they do come in for the refund, then they buy other crap while they're there. While doing the refund, prompt them for their email address.

But it's just a silly comic strip for fun and doesn't need to be completely realistic, right? :cheers:

LvK
Feb 27, 2006

FIVE STARS!!

GorfZaplen posted:

Classic Prince Valiant

Dude's so bored of slaughtering one of the fiercest armies of history that he has to get hijinks involved

R Ubbish
Apr 15, 2013

EasyEW posted:

Funky Winkerbean

Ensign_Ricky
Jan 4, 2008

Daddy Warlord
of the
Children of the Corn

or something...

GorfZaplen posted:

The Phantom

:dance: YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Pvt.Scott
Feb 16, 2007

What God wants, God gets, God help us all
The Python was in his pants all along. This Phantom plot might get a little too racy for the papers.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

This could be the real thing and I wouldn't have noticed at all.

Humanoid Female
Mar 13, 2008

Julet Esqu posted:

Apartment 3-G

She named the mare Mary. :what:

Also, how the gently caress is this whole situation being presented as a good thing and not something that her friends should be staging an intervention for? She had a job, went in one day and got told to go home because random coworker decided not being at work would help her get over her fiance's death, even though Tommie said outright that she'd prefer to be at work and it would help take her mind off it. But she got told to go, so she went. Then this weirdo out of nowhere is making her work 24/7 on his farm or whatever, and live there, presumably without pay, and it's supposed to be teaching her a valuable lesson or something?

The seats. The windows. The location of the driver. Is ... is this the world's first spherical limo?
I am sad that Pierce apparently doesn't have a prom date. I was hoping to see what Pierce's prom date would have looked like.

Magic Hate Ball
May 6, 2007

ha ha ha!
you've already paid for this

Humanoid Female posted:

I am sad that Pierce apparently doesn't have a prom date. I was hoping to see what Pierce's prom date would have looked like.

Just some lipstick on his dominant hand.

Kammat
Feb 9, 2008
Odd Person
Modesty Blaise

That's Willie for ya.

Maxwell Lord
Dec 12, 2008

I am drowning.
There is no sign of land.
You are coming down with me, hand in unlovable hand.

And I hope you die.

I hope we both die.

:smith:

Grimey Drawer

:gonk:

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

Ensign_Ricky posted:

:dance: YESSSSSSSSSSS!!!!

Finally the Phantom is interesting again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Evil Mastermind
Apr 28, 2008

The Dinette Set

• Locked thread