Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Iron Beagle
Apr 27, 2007
I dig his color coordinated Oakleys.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
First real mountain stage today in the Giro.
70km to go,first climb in 20km, Cippo di Carpegna, the hill of Marco Pantani.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
And there goes Matthews out the back. rip

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Now he's completely dead. At least he took it in good humor.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Jesus, that's almost as bad as I look going uphill.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Movistar seem to have fallen off.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
I think this little dude is going to make it.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
Matthews seemed to be having a good time in the grupetta

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Yeah. It's weird because he and Rolland look like the gap should be going down, but it isn't. I just hope Rolland gains at least a little time on the peloton.

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
Rolland is gaining time on Arredondo now. Favourites should attack soon.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I like these colombian riders, would be nice if he takes the stage.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Why exactly did those two AG2R riders do so much work during those last 10-20 km? That was kind of pointless, wasn't it.

drat, this is getting exciting now. I hope Rolland makes it.

there goes Arredondo. OK, I still feel bad for him.

paddyboat
Feb 20, 2013

Maxi, Maxi Rodriguez
Run down the wing for me
drat. The calculus of using the precise amount of effort to catch a breakaway within the last kilometer always amazes me.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

They should make a King of Impressive Looking but Ultimately Pointless Attacks jersey and give it to Rolland for life.

Byolante
Mar 23, 2008

by Cyrano4747
I was quite pleased to see BMC kept someone with Cuddles when nobody on movistar could stay with Quintana

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
Stage 8 Final Kms

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Really thought Rolland might nick it at the end when the chase seemed to back off then Moreno took off like a rabbit and they all kicked it into high gear.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George
Wooo I won a stage! Wait, why aren't you guys slowing down?

dema
Aug 13, 2006

I physically cringed.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
What happened? I haven't been able to watch anything today so far.

PotatoJudge
May 22, 2004

Tell me about the rabbits, George

vikingstrike posted:

What happened? I haven't been able to watch anything today so far.

Stage 7 of the Tour of California finishes with 3 laps around downtown Pasadena. Guy sprinted out and celebrated his win, too bad he still had a lap to go.

Iron Beagle
Apr 27, 2007

dema posted:

I physically cringed.

I was yelling "Don't show it again!" when they went to the replay. Cringeworthy is right.

vikingstrike
Sep 23, 2007

whats happening, captain
Just saw the video. I feel awkward sitting on the couch. Ugh. What that guy must be thinking at the moment.

Gibbo
Sep 13, 2008

"yes James. Remove that from my presence. It... Offends me" *sips overpriced wine*

Smirr posted:

They should make a King of Impressive Looking but Ultimately Pointless Attacks jersey and give it to Rolland for life.

Phil Gill might have something to say about that.

kimbo305
Jun 9, 2007

actually, yeah, I am a little mad
Was the announcer yelling "Go go go go!" at him to get him to keep moving?

vikingstrike posted:

Just saw the video. I feel awkward sitting on the couch. Ugh. What that guy must be thinking at the moment.

Apparently he's not crushed: https://twitter.com/EloyTeruel/status/467801758719549441

This is more screentime than Jamis could have hoped for otherwise, at least.

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
On Bein sport France, the commentator was sure Rolland has won, he was congratulating and bragging about 2 wins in a row for France in this giro, he almost cried at the end.

Cancellara puts hour record attempt on hold.

Velonews posted:

Fabian Cancellara (Trek Factory Racing) has suspended his planned hour record attempt indefinitely. The decision came after the UCI announced on Thursday that it would eliminate the athlete’s hour record, sometimes called the Merckx hour record, in favor of allowing modern UCI-legal track equipment and positions for the hour record.

Breakaway has a good chance to win today, BMC won't chase if the riders in the break aren't a threat for the GC.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Unfortunately, it'll probably be a boring stage. Please prove me wrong bike racing

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

These hairpins :gizz:

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Mr.Nice posted:

On Bein sport France, the commentator was sure Rolland has won, he was congratulating and bragging about 2 wins in a row for France in this giro, he almost cried at the end.

Cancellara puts hour record attempt on hold.

Breakaway has a good chance to win today, BMC won't chase if the riders in the break aren't a threat for the GC.

They've decided to close it down pretty significantly. Down to 3 minutes.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Lots of teams doing the work, though. Kind of weird.

Withnail
Feb 11, 2004
Announcer just invented a new word: effortface

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

We had not left it yet, but when I would wake in the night, I would lie, listening, homesick for it already.

Smirr posted:

Lots of teams doing the work, though. Kind of weird.

Now they've given up :iiam:

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
Hardest part of the climb, Weening look more fresh than Malacarme.

Smirr
Jun 28, 2012

Attack by Pozzovivo, this just got really good

e: I should probably stop rooting for Europcar riders.

Smirr fucked around with this message at 16:16 on May 18, 2014

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.
Its about time one of the GC contenders had a go. Giro has been dull as poo poo aside from the crashes so far.

It's like Quintana is just expecting Evans to disintegrate on the mountain stages and isnt taking any chances to get some time back.

Mr.Nice
Apr 28, 2006
It's only logical for Nairo, the third week is so much better for him than for Cadel, He is not at 100% form yet + he got caught in a crash a few days ago, that's not entertaining as a spectator but make lot of sense tactically.

Well done Pozzotivo, he went from 10th to 4th today.

Stage 9.

Loving Africa Chaps
Dec 3, 2007

serious gaylord posted:

Its about time one of the GC contenders had a go. Giro has been dull as poo poo aside from the crashes so far.

It's like Quintana is just expecting Evans to disintegrate on the mountain stages and isnt taking any chances to get some time back.

Yeah lots of looking at each other. Think the big mountain weeks will sort things out though.

serious gaylord
Sep 16, 2007

what.

Mr.Nice posted:

It's only logical for Nairo, the third week is so much better for him than for Cadel, He is not at 100% form yet + he got caught in a crash a few days ago, that's not entertaining as a spectator but make lot of sense tactically.

Well done Pozzotivo, he went from 10th to 4th today.

Stage 9.

I'm not so much pointing at Quintana, but people like Uran and Basso. Riders who also arent on the level of Quintana but seem to be very happy to sit at the back and do gently caress all. I'm glad Pozzovivo had a go today. AG2R look to be in good nick and if they keep going like this he might throw a spanner in the works.

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Current point system rewards keeping a place rather than attacking. Everyone's still pretty fresh, I'm surprised Pozzovivo got so much time out today, strong ride by him. You attack when everyone (including yourself) is tired.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

African AIDS cum
Feb 29, 2012

Welcome back, welcome back, welcome baaaack
Dull Giro so far and as much as I'd like to blame Sky I can't. Although, Tour of California was horrible. Seemed like nothing but circuit finishes on massive 4 lane roads.

• Locked thread