Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

iostream.h
Mar 14, 2006
I want your happy place to slap you as it flies by.

Turkey Farts posted:

At the moment I'm limited to a Mobius and an Empress Tape Delay. I'm certainly not complaining. Some of the pedals that aren't jiving, however, are my EQD Grand Orbiter and Disaster Transport, Red Witch Moon Phaser, and Malekko Ekko 616. The Malekko's interesting because it has a switch for TB and buffered, yet it is troublesome in both modes.

I looked up the specs for my amps and couldn't find any helpful information about the loops other than the type of tube they're using (12AX7 in the Mesa and Carvin, 12AT7 in the Orange). Instrument level would make the most sense in terms of compatibility, but given that the signal is post-preamp I'm thinking it might be line level (might also explain the excessive noise). In which case, what good is that to me? :jerkbag:
Haven't forgotten about you. Can you do a quick test on each of your amps for me?

Take a jack cable and insert it in the return of the loop. Play on your guitar:

If you do not get any signal in the output, you have a serial loop
If you can still hear your guitar, it is because you have a parallel loop.

Could you post your results?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Turkey Farts
Jan 4, 2013

iostream.h posted:

Haven't forgotten about you. Can you do a quick test on each of your amps for me?

Take a jack cable and insert it in the return of the loop. Play on your guitar:

If you do not get any signal in the output, you have a serial loop
If you can still hear your guitar, it is because you have a parallel loop.

Could you post your results?

Only had time to test the Mesa. Using the method you described and plugging into the return jack, I was still able to hear my guitar which would suggest the loop is parallel. The user manual, however, insists the loop is "wired in series with the dry signal" (p. 8). :shrug:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Just won these two Garnet labeled 12AX7s on eBay for $7 (or a grand total of $20 with shipping), surprisingly from someone in the same city as me. Anyone know any other information about them? A cursory search tells me they might be Mullards?

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
If they were made for Garnet amps they might be from a Canadian manufacturer like Westinghouse or Marconi, but really could be anything. Is there any marking on the bottom? I'm very interested to hear your impressions once you've test-driven them too.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
I'm meeting him on Friday to pick them up. From there I'll plop em in my Garnet Pro 200 Super for great justice and will report back immediately. :unsmigghh:

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
Any idea as to the rarity, value, collectibility, or sought-after-ness of either this '68 Sunn Sonaro or Acoustic 270 and their matching cabs?

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

The Sunn Sonaro isn't especially desirable but since it has the Sunn logo on it you can get some doomtard to pay out the nose for it (incidentally if you're selling it I might be interested :buddy:). The Acoustic 270 is a great amp but in my experience Acoustic stuff tends to be cheaper than other vintage things. You'll be able to find buyers for both, absolutely, but it might not be for as much as you were hoping

Hypnolobster
Apr 12, 2007

What this sausage party needs is a big dollop of ketchup! Too bad I didn't make any. :(

The acoustic cab is sort of an oddity, but the 270 head is absolutely fantastic. I use one for a backup head and love the thing.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
From what I see, acoustic cabs (anything beside the 612) tend to go for a bit. Even the 612 goes for ~300.

The sonaro is ~60 watts but doom kids seem to think anything anything with O))) is brutal and heavy. Could probably get 500 for it if you really tried, seems to be in pretty good shape.

All vintage acoustic heads loving rule but they usually sell for around 300 at most. I got two different ones on different occasions for around 200. That includes the 370 which has the largest power section of all acoustics.

Bruce Boxliker
Mar 24, 2010
I use a Sonaro, it's actually a pretty cool head. Really good clean sound when I'm playing guitar through it, and I biamp it with my Hartke through my Ampeg 8x10 for bass, good way to mix tube warmth and solid state punch. I got a good deal on it, but I see them on eBay sometimes in the 450-500 range.

XYZAB
Jun 29, 2003

HNNNNNGG!!
The Sonaro and Acoustic were possible purchases from a guy who wasn't advertising any prices, but it looks like I won't be able to afford a new amp in the near future. I met the guy who I bought the Garnet 12AX7s from on eBay, swapped them into my Garnet Pro 200 Super and it... Died. My Ampeg V3 died the same way a couple weeks ago. Turn it on, no sound going to the speaker, but when I play a note I can hear that note fizzling away from the inside of the head itself.

Motherfucker.

Edit: The V3 and my VT22 are in the hands of my tech having the electrolytics replaced and whatever other problems crop up. When I pick those up I'll be dropping the Garnet off. This poo poo is not cheap. :suicide:

XYZAB fucked around with this message at 20:29 on May 16, 2014

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

Handen posted:

This poo poo is not cheap. :suicide:

Ugh, that's nightmare material for a basic jam-guy for me.

I messaged Jet City to see what other output options I could do with the 22H and the reply was;

Doug @ Jet City posted:

The OT we use are very robust and can go down to about 2ohms, but would be happier at 4ohms.

Stated outs are 1x16ohm and 2x8ohm for reference

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
So I have a sweet jc 120 but I want some dirt. Instead of getting pedals or trying to alter my jc's sound (which I love) I would rather just get a small tube amp and run it along side my jc in some kind of a+b setup.

Requirements:
-low headroom (easy to distort inside my apartment.)
-gig worthy
-as small and light as possible.(to bring to jams when I don't want to cary my 60+lb JC

That's basically it. I don't give a drat about my cleans on this amp, this should be a dirt beast

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TSA5TVR/ - this one has a built in tube screamer. Seemed pretty cool

Any recommendations? E:I'm not opposed to buying used, looking to spend well under $500

philkop fucked around with this message at 01:59 on May 17, 2014

Dirt
May 26, 2003

philkop posted:

So I have a sweet jc 120 but I want some dirt. Instead of getting pedals or trying to alter my jc's sound (which I love) I would rather just get a small tube amp and run it along side my jc in some kind of a+b setup.

Requirements:
-gig worthy
-as small and light as possible.(to bring to jams when I don't want to cary my 60+lb JC

That's basically it. I don't give a drat about my cleans on this amp, this should be a dirt beast

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TSA5TVR/ - this one has a built in tube screamer. Seemed pretty cool

Any recommendations? E:I'm not opposed to buying used, looking to spend well under $500

The Orange Micro terror is like ~150 bucks and is shockingly awesome for being a solid state amp.

I just picked up This guy a few days ago, and it absolutely crushes. You can run it as an amp through a cab, or through the effects loop of your current amp(to get a tube power section sound) or as a pedal in front of your amp. I love this thing so much, and I forget who recommended it to me here, but that guy is awesome.

That Ibanez amp looks pretty rad too. I have been curious about them. If you end up buying it, post a review and some clips please.

Both of those are good for low volume dirty tone(the Randall has more gain than anyone will ever need). Just two ideas I had, I'm sure other people will have more for you.

Dirt fucked around with this message at 05:47 on May 17, 2014

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
If you mostly want a low-gain dirty sound there's also the Vox Night Train (G1 specifically, I haven't tried the G2 though).

It's got a great dirty sound (albeit I wouldn't call it an AC30, it's still it's own flavor of the Vox character) and can even go a little bit overboard if you flip the bright/thick switch (it just disengages the tone stack). It's also over built, as it's output transformer is rated to supply up to 30 watts despite the fact that the NT can only put out 15 watts.

Plus since it's mostly discontinued the few places that still have it will probably have it on clearance or will have it soon. It can also be found for about the $300 range on the used market pretty easily.

Though I will also vouch for the Micro Terror, but I will say that it's master volume goes from 0 straight to 7 in terms of loudness if you've got the gain anywhere east of 12 o'clock so you have to be pretty sensitive when trying to stay quiet. It's headphone out sounds like rear end though, so don't expect it to sound like anything but a tube distortion box into a DI when going through that.

And on a similar note it's kinda disingenuous to call it a solid-state amp, the power-amp is solid-state so I'll give you that; however it's the pre-amp where this thing will shine pretty drat bright, it's voicing makes it sound great and the 12ax7 gives the awesome drive sound. Plus, since the power amp is SS it means that no matter how loud it is (barring psychoacoustics and speaker distortion) it will sound the same at any volume.

Adeline Weishaupt fucked around with this message at 07:36 on May 17, 2014

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

"This is not only a security risk but we occasionally get pigeons roosting in the space as a result."
One version of the vintage Ampeg Jet (I forget which is which) produces a gorgeous, blistering distortion at pretty low volume. They're very portable too, and might be obtainable within your budget. I've seen one for $400, with beat up tolex but fine internals.

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
The Jet City 22H is $399 new (got mine for $290 shipped from Iostream lightly used - and thank him constantly for introducing me to them!). You've got a crunch channel that can do all the ACDC/Zepp tones you could want... but then you flip it on the Soldano lead channel for pure heavy saturation. :allears:

It really just does crunch to full blown lead sounds. You can sneak some clean out of it, but it won't sparkle anywhere near as clean as that JC120. Might be a good match since there isn't a ton overlap ;)

20watts is on the higher end for your volume concerns, but it works alright on the quiet end of things too. I never use any other amps in the house for practice since I like the drat thing so much (poo poo practice peavey, Roland Cube 80xl are supposed to be my practice amps).

EDIT2: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=elcgJwIaaVI Here's a demo of it through the dirty stuff available.

Sockington fucked around with this message at 13:09 on May 17, 2014

Bread Dragon
Apr 7, 2012

philkop posted:

Requirements:
-gig worthy

I have a Vox AD50VT and it hits your primary three points. It's a light 112 combo with a 50 watt solid state power amp and a tube preamp. There is a knob on the back that dials the power amp's output up or down. It has modeling settings built in, which range from good to decent. It is technically two channels, but I've been told that there is a noticeable lag in switching (I don't own the foot switch). Best of all is that they are dirt cheap used - I got mine for $100 on eBay, shipping included.

I haven't been gigging lately as a guitarist, but I think it would keep up with drums in a medium-small room. As always, YMMV.

philkop
Oct 19, 2008

Chomp chomp chomp...We have the legendary Magic Beans
Goon Made Wallets
Sweet, some good suggestions guys.

I should have specified but I'd need a combo. This amp should be everything my JC isn't, and nothing it is (well, I guess other than being a combo.) I need a lunchbox I can bring anywhere to jam when is too big. (I travel by train often so a small box to jam with my back home friends is essential.)

Great to know there is so much tiny terror love here though. I've thought about one of those before I decided on a combo.

That randal pedal amp is interesting. I'll have to look more into it.

That Vox AD50VT is on the larger side of what I'd like but my god is it cheap. I'll test one out if I see it nearbye.

If I go with the Ibanez, I'll definitely post a vid review.

El Miguel
Oct 30, 2003

philkop posted:

Sweet, some good suggestions guys.

I should have specified but I'd need a combo. This amp should be everything my JC isn't, and nothing it is (well, I guess other than being a combo.) I need a lunchbox I can bring anywhere to jam when is too big. (I travel by train often so a small box to jam with my back home friends is essential.)

Great to know there is so much tiny terror love here though. I've thought about one of those before I decided on a combo.

That randal pedal amp is interesting. I'll have to look more into it.

That Vox AD50VT is on the larger side of what I'd like but my god is it cheap. I'll test one out if I see it nearbye.

If I go with the Ibanez, I'll definitely post a vid review.

One thing to keep in mind with the Vox, at least the older models, is that they greatly benefit from introducing an EQ pedal/unit of some sort. When I had an AD100VT, it sounded great by itself, but it just disappeared in a band environment without an additional EQ.

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay
could anyone technically or in laymen terms tell me the advantages and disadvantages and how it works for the master volume on my v4?

from what I understand is that the mv is the overall volume and the channel volume is the preamp(gain)?

so I I want max head room, I max out the mv and push channel until I get levels I want?

is there any difference in the equalization as I go up on the mv ie more woofy or lose clarity? I can't seem to notice a disadvantage of not having the mv dimed other than being loud(I wanna be loud)

is maxing the mv basically running my mv v4 into a non master v4?

halp!

Declan MacManus
Sep 1, 2011

damn i'm really in this bitch

Basically if you're running it flat out all the master volume does is throw a 500k/1M resistor in your signal chain. The effect is negligible (maybe a tiny bit of high end attenuation compared to a non-master amp) and I'm pretty sure you could mod it to take the master volume out of the circuit pretty easily if you wanted to

Smash it Smash hit
Dec 30, 2009

prettay, prettay

Declan MacManus posted:

Basically if you're running it flat out all the master volume does is throw a 500k/1M resistor in your signal chain. The effect is negligible (maybe a tiny bit of high end attenuation compared to a non-master amp) and I'm pretty sure you could mod it to take the master volume out of the circuit pretty easily if you wanted to

thanks, not really interested in modding it out. I am really just interested what exactly it's doing when I adjusting the two knobs. just another step to try to dial up the exact tone I want. any hints or suggestions or tips would be appreciated.

Ferrous Wheel
Aug 18, 2007

In theory upping the master should give you more clean level if you back off the preamp gain as you raise it. In practice, you might start causing other things to clip — your speakers might start breaking up for example. Speaker behavior might account for the change you've noticed in EQ as well. If your sound is getting too woofy and/or distorted at high volume, using an EQ pedal to cut some lows might help clean things up. Backing off the lows and mids on the amp EQ can also reduce clipping; I found I had to do this to keep my wah sound clean. More efficient speakers can also increase effective clean headroom if you want to go that route.

What won't work is dropping in lower-gain preamp tubes. This is recommended all over the web, but it won't give you more level; all it does is change the behavior of the knobs while lowering overall output (though few people dime their amps, so most won't miss the extra db).

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009
Although I love my Fender Mustang I as a practice amp, I'd love to get another combo with real tubes for the warm tones a modeling amp can't fully reach. I'm looking for bluesy or classic rock tones from amps within the 1 - 15 watts range. So far, I've been trying to decide between Fender Excelsior, Ramparte and Pro Junior III, Vox AC4(TV), Laney Cub 12R and Palmer FAB5. Can anyone voice in with their opinions?

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003
What about a used Blues Junior? Can be had around $300 or so. Cojawfee picked up a BJ II and loves it.

Otis Reddit
Nov 14, 2006
You'll be very happy with a Blues Junior or a Pro Junior. Just make sure the one you try isn't buzzy.

havelock
Jan 20, 2004

IGNORE ME
Soiled Meat

These Loving Eyes posted:

Although I love my Fender Mustang I as a practice amp, I'd love to get another combo with real tubes for the warm tones a modeling amp can't fully reach. I'm looking for bluesy or classic rock tones from amps within the 1 - 15 watts range. So far, I've been trying to decide between Fender Excelsior, Ramparte and Pro Junior III, Vox AC4(TV), Laney Cub 12R and Palmer FAB5. Can anyone voice in with their opinions?

I went from a vox da5 to an AC4TV and I'm happy with it. It usually sits on the 1/4W setting. It sounds nice with both my Agile (LP) and a Tele (especially with some fuzz).

Sockington
Jul 26, 2003

One other thing - is this just for practice or would you like something with enough volume to jam with? That's why I thought the Blues Junior since it's on the high end of your wattage needs (15w) but not absurdly loud for home use. It'll give you some more clean headroom in a band setting over some lower wattage tube amps.

Just a thought if that's something you'd like to pursue later on (cause playing with yourself gets old after a while :3:)

These Loving Eyes
Jun 6, 2009

Sockington posted:

One other thing - is this just for practice or would you like something with enough volume to jam with? That's why I thought the Blues Junior since it's on the high end of your wattage needs (15w) but not absurdly loud for home use. It'll give you some more clean headroom in a band setting over some lower wattage tube amps.

Just a thought if that's something you'd like to pursue later on (cause playing with yourself gets old after a while :3:)

I'm a somewhat seasoned bass player in a band, but now that all of our other members have got kids within the last year, our rehearsals have become quite scarce. I picked up guitar for keeping the music hobby fresh and for substituting the sudden lack of band playing. Therefore I probably never need the whole 15 watts, although it's always possible I take part in some other projects. One thing I looooove about guitar amps is that you don't have to lug around a 4x10 cab and a tube head that weighs a thousand pounds. Mic a small combo and you're set.

Thanks for the recommendations on the Blues Junior! I'll keep the model in mind while browsing used gear online.

Adeline Weishaupt
Oct 16, 2013

by Lowtax
Keep in mind about the Vox though, it should be able to get into blues territory if you roll of your guitar's tone. Also keep in mind the AC4C1, it might get you closer to the classic rock territory too (though it's more Led Zepplin I than Led Zepplin IV) and it also works well for most other genres if you keep it clean. Of course the disadvantage of the C1 vs the TV is that it has a master volume rather than an attenuator so you won't get the power tubes cooking unless you crank it.

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

I was aiming to clean tube sockets in an amp, but mistakenly used a contact cleaner that doubles as a lubricant. I'm left with a greasy film which I've mostly wiped off/let air-dry.

My concern is that there is still some of the lubricant left in the sockets.

The cleaner being flammable and the tubes being hot -- is it a wise precaution to take compressed air to the inside of the amp before firing it back up (:getin:) ? Did I create a bomb?

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Personally, I'd get another cleaner and do it again.

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Anyone have any experience on Hovercraft? Think I'm gonna get one.

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

Day Man posted:

Personally, I'd get another cleaner and do it again.

Alrighty. Going to grab a different cleaner as well as some canned air after class.

The amp was producing an intermittent crackling, hence my poking around. I think my issue was a power tube (one of them made a rattling sound when shaken), which I've replaced, so I'm hoping to be able to turn it on and crank it later :)

jwh
Jun 12, 2002

Zuhzuhzombie!! posted:

Anyone have any experience on Hovercraft? Think I'm gonna get one.

I've been following him for a while. I almost bought a Dwarvenaut 20, but then ended up having to spend the money at the dentist instead (boo).

They seem like really nice, very high gain amps. Which one are you looking at?

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR

jwh posted:

I've been following him for a while. I almost bought a Dwarvenaut 20, but then ended up having to spend the money at the dentist instead (boo).

They seem like really nice, very high gain amps. Which one are you looking at?

Whatever the 50watt one is. They said they could mod it for 6v6 for me, which will make me happy.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Postmaster GBS posted:

Alrighty. Going to grab a different cleaner as well as some canned air after class.

The amp was producing an intermittent crackling, hence my poking around. I think my issue was a power tube (one of them made a rattling sound when shaken), which I've replaced, so I'm hoping to be able to turn it on and crank it later :)

Let us know how it goes!

Postmaster GBS
Jan 14, 2013

Just finished round two of cleaning and plugged in.

Sounds awesome. The crackle is gone and the new tubes sound lively and rich.

Thanks for the ........input :mmmhmm:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Leck
Feb 27, 2001

You might want to take a look at the Fender Super Champ XD and X2 as well. They're a little smaller than the Blues Jr. and have a combination of standard Fender blackface channel and Mustang-style modeling channel. I believe they've been discussed in this thread before, which is what inspired me to grab one, and I haven't looked back at all.