Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

Gangrel.

For content, does the term Attitude Era exclusively apply to WWF programming (because they literally used that term) or would it be fair to say something from 1999 WCW counted as being from the Attitude Era?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

WWF.

flashy_mcflash
Feb 7, 2011

magnum_valentino posted:

Gangrel.

For content, does the term Attitude Era exclusively apply to WWF programming (because they literally used that term) or would it be fair to say something from 1999 WCW counted as being from the Attitude Era?

I don't think I've ever heard any Wcw content tagged as Attitude Era. Sometimes you might hear it referred to as being from the period of the Monday Night Wars but almost never Attitude unless it's WWF/E.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!
Monday Night Wars refers to the WWE/WCW interaction while Attitude Era strictly involves what WWE was up-to in their programming.

your friend sk
Dec 10, 2005

(ヤイケス!)

Monday Night Wars was both, Attidude Era was a WWF creation. It's kind of pedantic to correct someone if they name Sting as an Attitude Era wrestler, but this is PSP.

omgomgomg
Oct 26, 2012

What are the eras in WCW called? Are there names?

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

Nothing as clearly defined for marketing purposes as the Attitude Era, but you'll hear people talk about the NWO era or the Russo era near the end.

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013
Anyone ever sneezed on WWE programming? Or thrown up? I know about Vince's stance on sneezing, but I do that poo poo drat near every day and it's bound to have happened down the line somewhere.

LividLiquid
Apr 13, 2002

Though everybody else is right, I have actually heard Attitude Era and Monday Night Wars used interchangeably.

Thauros
Jan 29, 2003

magnum_valentino posted:

Anyone ever sneezed on WWE programming? Or thrown up?

The latter was Droz's entire gimmick if that counts.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

omgomgomg posted:

What are the eras in WCW called? Are there names?

Whoever was running things at the time is how I usually hear it. Jim Crockett/Dusty era, Bill Watts, Eric Bischoff (pre-NWO and NWO), :russo:, death spiral.

magnum_valentino posted:

Anyone ever sneezed on WWE programming? Or thrown up? I know about Vince's stance on sneezing, but I do that poo poo drat near every day and it's bound to have happened down the line somewhere.

making GBS threads and puking under the ring happens occasionally doesn't it?

magnum_valentino
Apr 18, 2013

Thauros posted:

The latter was Droz's entire gimmick if that counts.

Yeah, I saw Beyond The Mat, was that actually followed through on TV? All I ever saw was Droz in the LOD/2000.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Suleman posted:

Any DDT done on the Big Show will unfortunately always end up with him rolling forward, it's just how he sells them.

Well, his opponent is always smaller than him so they have to try & use their momentum to drive his head down & him rolling sells the idea of the extra momentum.

Justin Godscock
Oct 12, 2004

Listen here, funnyman!

Luigi Thirty posted:

Whoever was running things at the time is how I usually hear it. Jim Crockett/Dusty era, Bill Watts, Eric Bischoff (pre-NWO and NWO), :russo:, death spiral.

Same here, things changed so radically whenever there was a new guy in charge it pretty much was a new era. Even Kip Frye who was only there for a brief bit gets his own era.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

magnum_valentino posted:

Gangrel.

2000 WCW was the bad Attitude era.

sticklefifer
Nov 11, 2003

by VideoGames
WWF also branded themselves as "WWF Attitude" at the time. They had the banner on the entranceway for years before they started putting a minitron there.

Manwithastick
Jul 26, 2010

How was Foley able to use the Cactus Jack name in WCW, WWE and ECW? Does he own that name?

Diabolik900
Mar 28, 2007

Yeah, he used that name right from the beginning of his career so he owns it himself.

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Who is this? My buddy from Japan knows I watch wrestling and posted this to my facebook page saying he bought his book.

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

the first world was a mistake

Tokelau All Star posted:

Who is this? My buddy from Japan knows I watch wrestling and posted this to my facebook page saying he bought his book.

Kenta Kobashi

Tokelau All Star
Feb 23, 2008

THE TAXES! THE FINGER THING MEANS THE TAXES!

Thanks

Blast Fantasto
Sep 18, 2007

USAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA!
When people post like "here are all of Meltzer's 3 star and up matches for Wrestler X:" is that something that can easily be looked up, or do you need a PWI subscription?

Related: what are Chris Jericho's best matches on the Network, other than Wrestlemania XIX which I just watched.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Blast Fantasto posted:

When people post like "here are all of Meltzer's 3 star and up matches for Wrestler X:" is that something that can easily be looked up, or do you need a PWI subscription?

Related: what are Chris Jericho's best matches on the Network, other than Wrestlemania XIX which I just watched.

I think it's cagematch.de that shows you a wrestler's matches in order of star ratings?

The Grey
Mar 2, 2004

Just listened to the Austin podcast with Eric Bischoff. Wow... Bischoff is still a really unlikable person.

One question I thought of while listening to it... Has Austin ever admitted that he's an alcoholic and gone sober for a while?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Blast Fantasto posted:

His WCW title match with Rock at No Mercy '01 is his best match and one of my favorite WWF matches of any kind (their rematch at Vengeance '01 is also a gem that doesn't get talked about much for some reason). And while not his best match, the cruiser battle royal and the winner's subsequent match with Jericho at Slamboree '98 is a must see.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 20:14 on May 17, 2014

Big Coffin Hunter
Aug 13, 2005

Blast Fantasto posted:

Just a few off the top of my head.

-vs. Triple H, Last Man Standing Match, Fully Loaded 2000
-vs. Chris Benoit, Ladder Match, Royal Rumble 2001
-vs. The Rock, No Mercy 2001
-vs. John Cena vs. Christian, Vengeance 2005
-vs. Shawn Michaels, Ladder Match, No Mercy 2008
-Vs. Ricky Steamboat, Backlash 2009
-w/ Big Show vs. Triple H and Shawn Michaels, TLC 2009
-vs. CM Punk, Street Fight, Extreme Rules 2012

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

The Grey posted:

Just listened to the Austin podcast with Eric Bischoff. Wow... Bischoff is still a really unlikable person.

One question I thought of while listening to it... Has Austin ever admitted that he's an alcoholic and gone sober for a while?

Stone Cold will periodically say things in a fairly coy manner, so it's possible he's admitted that he "May have drunken a few too many beers" in the past or whatever. For example, he paraphrases his relationship problems as "Being the guy to ask about what not to do in a relationship, because I've been divorced 3 times and I can tell you what you from experience what not to do".

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Big Coffin Hunter posted:

Just a few off the top of my head.

-vs. Triple H, Last Man Standing Match, Fully Loaded 2000
-vs. Chris Benoit, Ladder Match, Royal Rumble 2001
-vs. The Rock, No Mercy 2001
-vs. John Cena vs. Christian, Vengeance 2005
-vs. Shawn Michaels, Ladder Match, No Mercy 2008
-Vs. Ricky Steamboat, Backlash 2009
-w/ Big Show vs. Triple H and Shawn Michaels, TLC 2009
-vs. CM Punk, Street Fight, Extreme Rules 2012

Bear in mind, that ladder match had one of the most cringe-inducing spots ever performed BEFORE Benoit went crazy. In hindsight, it's stomach-turningly bad.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

Bear in mind, that ladder match had one of the most cringe-inducing spots ever performed BEFORE Benoit went crazy. In hindsight, it's stomach-turningly bad.

Is it the source of the "please Vince no more" gif?

hunnert car pileup
Oct 28, 2007

Luigi Thirty posted:

No. Worse, actually.

vv Yep. Was actually watching Slamboree '98 earlier today and he does the same spot with Finlay, but comparatively much safer.

hunnert car pileup fucked around with this message at 22:55 on May 17, 2014

Memento
Aug 25, 2009

Bleak Gremlin

Luigi Thirty posted:

I don't think so - if it's the one I'm thinking of, Benoit does a dive through the ropes to Jericho on the outside, only to be stopped completely cold by a chairshot to the head.

Corzaa
Aug 1, 2006

Luigi Thirty posted:

I think that is from the first Money In The Bank match.

Commissar Ken
Dec 9, 2006

Children STILL love me, dammit!

Memento posted:

I don't think so - if it's the one I'm thinking of, Benoit does a dive through the ropes to Jericho on the outside, only to be stopped completely cold by a chairshot to the head.

I remember watching that and family had to come into the room to check on me because the sound I made when that happened apparently sounded like I had been shot. I thought he'd died.

Gaz-L
Jan 28, 2009

Memento posted:

To clarify to anyone who hasn't seen it, this is not "Benoit dives into a chair Jericho's holding up", Jericho swings for the loving fences.

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Gaz-L posted:

To clarify to anyone who hasn't seen it, this is not "Benoit dives into a chair Jericho's holding up", Jericho swings for the loving fences.

This is it, this is what turned him into a murderer

I Before E
Jul 2, 2012

Luigi Thirty posted:

I dunno, you can see pretty clearly that Benoit has his arms in front of his head, and Jericho does not swing the chair all that far. It looks nasty as hell, granted, but if anything, going head first into the barricade is the nasty part.

Super No Vacancy
Jul 26, 2012

yeah that chair doesn't even hit him

Top Bunk Wanker
Jan 31, 2005

Top Trump Anger

epitasis posted:

yeah that chair doesn't even hit him

It's not even close. That was Jericho gently holding a chair up and Benoit hitting it with his right hand. He doesn't actually hit the barricade with his head either.

Roman Reigns
Aug 23, 2007

Looks like he bounced his head off the ground, which I imagine didn't help much either.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Name Change
Oct 9, 2005

Luigi Thirty posted:

This is a spectacularly dumb spot even if the chair doesn't really get a clean hit. Also, it looks like he gives himself a piledriver on the wall. Just incredibly stupid.