Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Gorn Myson
Aug 8, 2007

BastardySkull posted:

I know there are some Banks fans in here. I've put the work I did inspired by his Culture novels on to Redbubble. Proceeds will go to Safe Space, a charity helping survivors of sexual violence of which Banks was a patron.

Check it out here http://www.redbubble.com/people/lukejfrost/collections/289653-the-culture-fanart
Awesome, I bookmarked one of your galleries last time you posted it in here and I was checking it out again the other day when I was back on a Culture kick. I'll pick up a few things in a bit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

BastardySkull posted:

I know there are some Banks fans in here. I've put the work I did inspired by his Culture novels on to Redbubble. Proceeds will go to Safe Space, a charity helping survivors of sexual violence of which Banks was a patron.

Check it out here http://www.redbubble.com/people/lukejfrost/collections/289653-the-culture-fanart

These are really good, bookmarked for when I am not unemployed!

DrWrestling69
Feb 4, 2008

Tracyanne...

Renaissance Robot posted:

The race to the bottom :clegg:

Haha.

Bozza
Mar 5, 2004

"I'm a really useful engine!"

CancerCakes posted:

Surprising number of people who come from Bedfordshire here! When Italy won the world cup they drove a parade of flatbed trucks down the high street and had a huge party, it was awesome. Me and some non-italian friends just joined in, it was really fun.

More multiculturalism = more awesome street parties

MK42 crew brap brap.

Hastingsbury big up.

sebzilla
Mar 17, 2009

Kid's blasting everything in sight with that new-fangled musket.

Barry Foster posted:

Unfortunately people who believe this (and they do) don't consider it arrogance or chauvinism, they consider it straight up, unequivocal fact. I know several people who genuinely, 100% believe that Britain is and always has been the greatest culture in the world. They don't necessarily have anything against other cultures, but they at best pale in comparison.

Past a certain point, I've no idea how to get through to them what an incredible coincidence it is that they just happened to have been born in The Greatest Nation of All Time.

This but unironically

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Spangly A posted:

You can see the Cathedral, the left hand side of the view is blocked by the Tyler buildings.

That's a real shame, that view was spectacular. I didn't eat there very often, but it was always amazing to sit and eat with that view.

Spangly A posted:

If you head down to canterbury have a shout, I'll come out for a pint and imagine Trickjaw can make the trip from Essex too.

Will do.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.

BastardySkull posted:

Matter and culture drones are amazing. They are all great.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Do not believe in anything simply because you have heard it. Do not believe in anything simply because it is spoken and rumored by many. Do not believe in anything because it is found written in your religious books. Do not believe in anything merely on the authority of your teachers and elders.

HortonNash posted:

K, E, R or D?

Darwin. Worked in the lovely bar too.

Igiari
Sep 14, 2007

Spangly A posted:

dear god was that all you had?

Tyler (A, B, C), Keynes Houses, Park Wood village in the old woods, Becket Court, Woolf which is all self-contained decently sized bedsits, and Turing.

Gotta get that sweet, sweet non-EU student fee rate.

Back when I was there, Tyler was a part of Rutherford. Also it was the newest housing. Also Tyler B was the best. Also Tyler B E9 had a weird stain on the floor, but I put up with it.

some plague rats
Jun 5, 2012

by Fluffdaddy
So in some kind of news, a passing barrage balloon has weighed in with its considered opinion that UKIP are not, in fact, racist. They're just xenophobic nationalists.

quote:

Eric Pickles: Ukip is not racist

THE UK Independence Party is “über-nationalist” and “xenophobic” rather than being racist, a senior Conservative minister said last night.

Eric Pickles, the Communities Secretary, said that Nigel Farage, Ukip's leader, has preyed on people’s fear of immigration in a “shameful” way and his party contains people who have made “racist calculations”. But Mr Pickles does not believe “in my heart” that the party is racist, he told The Telegraph.

His comments came before Mr Farage took part in a heated radio interview in which he was accused of running a “divisive” and “racist” organisation.

In the live interview with LBC radio, Mr Farage suggested that people “know” which foreigners make good neighbours as he struggled to justify his opposition to European immigration, despite being married to a German.

David Cameron said Mr Farage’s comments were “unpleasant”. Voting for Ukip “sends a terrible message about Britain”, he said.
Ed Miliband entered the debate as he promised that Labour would “never again turn our backs” on people who are concerned about immigration.

But he ruled out setting targets over the numbers of foreigners in Britain.

Mr Pickles’s comments come before the European elections on Thursday. Ukip is expected to beat the Conservatives, with some polls predicting the party could finish first above Labour. However,

There are concerns that Ukip is being damaged by a series of allegations about racist and homophobic comments made by some of its candidates.

Mr Pickles insisted that Ukip was xenophobic. “Xenophobia is the fear of anything that’s different, anything that’s unusual, that’s slightly foreign,” he said.

“In a way, they are a sort of über-nationalist party.”

Senior Conservatives have in recent weeks repeatedly refused to say whether they regard Ukip as racist, despite criticising the comments made by the party’s candidates. Mr Farage was criticised over his appearance on LBC radio. A party aide tried to stop the interview as Mr Farage was asked whether he would submit the party’s European expenses to an official auditor.

The Ukip leader has previously said that hearing foreign languages on public transport makes him feel “awkward” and “uncomfortable”. Asked whether that applied to his wife, a German speaker, Mr Farage said: “I don’t suppose she speaks it on the train, you know.”

Mr Farage also stood by comments made earlier this year that he would be “concerned” if he had Romanian neighbours. Asked why they would be different to Germans, Mr Farage replied: “You know what the difference is.”

He added: “We want an immigration policy that is not just based on controlling not just quantity but quality”.

Mr Miliband refused to set a target for the number of foreigners who should be allowed to enter Britain.

The Labour leader insisted that he would “bear down” on immigration but declined to make “false promises” to voters about the numbers of foreigners coming to Britain.

He said previous Labour administrations had “too often dismissed people’s concerns” about immigration.

Well that's okay then! Is he just being pedantic, or is this a deliberate strategy? Seems like the Tories might be worried that if they brand UKIP racist then their own efforts to restrict immigration and grab the dickhead vote might be open to the same charge. Or maybe his plan is to grab the EDL vote by using so many long words that all they catch is "UKIP aren't racist" before their eyes glaze over and they vote for the gang of fascists who might have a chance at winning something

some plague rats fucked around with this message at 21:33 on May 17, 2014

Peel
Dec 3, 2007

There's surely large sections of the Conservative party who agree that UKIP aren't racist because they sympathise heavily or outright agree with them, though I agree that wouldn't by itself explain a rhetorical stance from a senior minister.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Mr Cuddles posted:

Darwin. Worked in the lovely bar too.

Haha, Darwin bar always made drinking depressing.

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Peel posted:

There's surely large sections of the Conservative party who agree that UKIP aren't racist because they sympathise heavily or outright agree with them, though I agree that wouldn't by itself explain a rhetorical stance from a senior minister.

I thought it was so the Tories didn't lose the voters who sympathise with UKIP but are loyal Tory, and the voters who will vote UKIP in the Euros, but Tory in council and general.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

God help you if ever you're caught on these shores

A man's ambition must indeed be small
To write his name upon a shithouse wall

HortonNash posted:

Haha, Darwin bar always made drinking depressing.

It's called Origins now and is bright orange and has live music and £ a pint nights. It even has good mexican food!

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

Peel posted:

Well yeah - they're all trading on this to some degree, the coalition is pretty much leading the charge when it comes to demonising immigrants and fostering this public atmosphere of fear and mistrust and 'something must be done'. Branding UKIP as 'not racist, just taking [acceptable attitudes] a little too far' lets the Tories deflect from the connotations it has for them, and it also positions them as a natural choice for hoovering up all those UKIP supporters who are a little uncomfortable with the idea of being xenophobic

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Well.

Serco find out one of their employees is raping internees at a detention centre. They cover it up, someone leaks it. They've been forced to admit it and will now have to enter discussions to compensate MP speechwriters for whatever bullshit they can come up with to wash this one away.

XMNN
Apr 26, 2008
I am incredibly stupid
"They're not racist, they just hate people who are different to them!" is not a particularly compelling argument.

I bet Eric Pickles likes to tell everyone about the distinction between ephebophilia and paedophilia, as well.

Mr Cuddles
Jan 29, 2010

Spangly A posted:

It's called Origins now and is bright orange and has live music and £ a pint nights. It even has good mexican food!

The year it changed to the new place I was working in the bar and it was just me and the manager. A girl was sick on the floor on her way out of the bar at 1pm because they were drinking shots since the minute we opened at 11. My manager told me to go and clean it up and handed me a mop and bucket and I refused because gently caress cleaning up sick for minimum wage. He was insisting as the manager he should not have to mop up sick and while we were arguing another girl ran out after her friend, slipped over in the sick, broke her collarbone and was writhing around in the sick in agony.

That manager later went on to have a stroke. He was a pretty sound guy actually I feel sorry for him because the last time I saw him he was in a wheelchair.

baka kaba
Jul 19, 2003

PLEASE ASK ME, THE SELF-PROFESSED NO #1 PAUL CATTERMOLE FAN IN THE SOMETHING AWFUL S-CLUB 7 MEGATHREAD, TO NAME A SINGLE SONG BY HIS EXCELLENT NU-METAL SIDE PROJECT, SKUA, AND IF I CAN'T PLEASE TELL ME TO
EAT SHIT

XMNN posted:

"They're not racist, they just hate people who are different to them!" is not a particularly compelling argument.

I bet Eric Pickles likes to tell everyone about the distinction between ephebophilia and paedophilia, as well.

Yeah but look at the language used - 'Nigel Farage, Ukip's leader, has preyed on people’s fear of immigration in a “shameful” way'. This way the people with the fear of immigration aren't wrong in their beliefs and attitudes, they've just been taken advantage of! Saying that UKIP are manipulating people with an actual racist approach means guilt by association - racism isn't based on rationality, it's based on pure prejudice, so saying that people are being won over by racism implies that their own attitudes are rooted in it.

But casting it as those acceptable, rational fears and beliefs amped up to an extreme, completely disassociated from racism, gives people licence to keep on keeping on. You get to say those people sure do have a point, and criticise UKIP for just taking it too far. Whereas racism is unacceptable on any level. That's the difference.

It may be complete poo poo but that seems like the political calculus behind saying it

Darth Walrus
Feb 13, 2012

Spangly A posted:

Well.

Serco find out one of their employees is raping internees at a detention centre. They cover it up, someone leaks it. They've been forced to admit it and will now have to enter discussions to compensate MP speechwriters for whatever bullshit they can come up with to wash this one away.

That sounds familiar somehow...

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

You're loving kidding me

tdrules
Jan 12, 2014

Spangly A posted:

Well.

I was a guest at an event Serco hosted last year, met some of the top brass (ex armed forces officers and Whitehall sorts mostly). They had a fixation on completing contracts for their "clients" by any means necessary, as if they were vital to society. Sometimes I wonder if they're right.

Andy Impey
Sep 2, 2011
Despite this, we must outsource child protection to private companies like Serco because

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Barry Foster posted:

Unfortunately people who believe this (and they do) don't consider it arrogance or chauvinism, they consider it straight up, unequivocal fact. I know several people who genuinely, 100% believe that Britain is and always has been the greatest culture in the world. They don't necessarily have anything against other cultures, but they at best pale in comparison.

Past a certain point, I've no idea how to get through to them what an incredible coincidence it is that they just happened to have been born in The Greatest Nation of All Time.

This, for me, is the worst part of all. Even if British culture was the greatest the world has ever seen, it's childish arrogance of the worst kind to crow about it. People act like they completed the 12 tasks of Hercules to earn their citizenship, rather than just be born (and sponge off society for the next 16-18 years).

SybilVimes
Oct 29, 2011

Andy Impey posted:

Despite this, we must outsource child protection to private companies like Serco because

Well, see, they raped adults, children will be perfectly safe...

Gort
Aug 18, 2003

Good day what ho cup of tea
Maybe Pickles meant to say that UKIP aren't just racist, they also hate people based on a number of other characteristics as well.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

Gort posted:

Maybe Pickles meant to say that UKIP aren't just racist, they also hate people based on a number of other characteristics as well.

They aren't racist, they hate white people that speak immigrant too!

HortonNash
Oct 10, 2012

Andy Impey posted:

Serco will bring innovation and new thinking to the abuse of children, improving client experience and stakeholder returns.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Spangly A posted:

I'd say that actually is a small price to pay if it helps child security.

Even from a point of view of child protection, the government's attitude to sensitive data in the past has been… lacklustre.

That, and the fact that just last month Labour and the Tories voted against neutrality because of a nonce scare put out by the IWF, you can pretty much use the "child protection" angle to justify anything.

Spangly A
May 14, 2009

TinTower posted:

Even from a point of view of child protection, the government's attitude to sensitive data in the past has been… lacklustre.

That, and the fact that just last month Labour and the Tories voted against neutrality because of a nonce scare put out by the IWF, you can pretty much use the "child protection" angle to justify anything.

For sure. But if we have a database keeping track of vulnerable children and it's actually helping, you're using that exact same FUD about the tories to say we shouldn't have one.

I don't think the Tories can be trusted with anything. But if we can actually do useful things we can't just dismiss it for fear of tories being tories.

TinTower
Apr 21, 2010

You don't have to 8e a good person to 8e a hero.

Spangly A posted:

For sure. But if we have a database keeping track of vulnerable children and it's actually helping, you're using that exact same FUD about the tories to say we shouldn't have one.

I don't think the Tories can be trusted with anything. But if we can actually do useful things we can't just dismiss it for fear of tories being tories.

Not just the Tories; the BBC have a handy list of data security breaches by the government from Nov. 2007–May 2009.

If there's one thing that turned me off the Labour party when I was a teenager, it wasn't their milquetoast "insanely relaxed" capitalism, it was stuff like ID cards and data security.

Kin
Nov 4, 2003

Sometimes, in a city this dirty, you need a real hero.
As someone who's carried about various forms of ID card for years (Uni ID, gym ID, drivers licence, etc), I've never really understood the backlash against them.

Hell, i'd love for there to be some sort of universal ID where i had one card that would apply to everything. Something that not only could be used as an visa/credit card or whatever, but also as a passport, driving licence general membership card for any club you sign up to.

With so many things requiring proof of ID in some form, it just seems natural to me to combine it all into one card.

QuantumCrayons
Apr 11, 2010

Kin posted:

As someone who's carried about various forms of ID card for years (Uni ID, gym ID, drivers licence, etc), I've never really understood the backlash against them.

Hell, i'd love for there to be some sort of universal ID where i had one card that would apply to everything. Something that not only could be used as an visa/credit card or whatever, but also as a passport, driving licence general membership card for any club you sign up to.

With so many things requiring proof of ID in some form, it just seems natural to me to combine it all into one card.

When a normal company has a terrible data breach or data loss, they often go under within a year. When a government has a terrible data breach or data loss, things carry on as normal. The government is pretty bad at protecting data.

Filboid Studge
Oct 1, 2010
And while they debated the matter among themselves, Conradin made himself another piece of toast.

Kin posted:

Having access to it is one thing. It being mandatory and with the compulsion to carry and display on demand is quite another.

Ktb
Feb 24, 2006

Speaking of data security; here is an actually funny story featuring thread favourite Jeremy Clarkson.

E: didn't check how old that story was sorry.

Ktb fucked around with this message at 08:01 on May 18, 2014

Jacobin
Feb 1, 2013

by exmarx
Keep it slow up in the Scumdee. Make sure you are trying to translate certain messages to different languages. Take it very, very slow.

EvilGenius
May 2, 2006
Death to the Black Eyed Peas

TinTower posted:

Not just the Tories; the BBC have a handy list of data security breaches by the government from Nov. 2007–May 2009.

If there's one thing that turned me off the Labour party when I was a teenager, it wasn't their milquetoast "insanely relaxed" capitalism, it was stuff like ID cards and data security.

Notice how many of these involve removable media? I'd argue that the issue was with the tech, not the Labour party in particular. There's also the fact that data leaks were story de jour at the time. I bet there have leaks under the coalition, it's just that people are bored of that story.

Necrothatcher
Mar 26, 2005

Not to toot my own trumpet too hard, but I had a v minor role in the legal battle to declassify that Serco report on Yarl's Wood. So I felt pretty good when I finally saw it in the papers.

The amount of doublethink going on is shocking. The consistency of the alleged rape victim's story being viewed as suspicious is crazy and terrifying..

goddamnedtwisto
Dec 31, 2004

If you ask me about the mole people in the London Underground, I WILL be forced to kill you
Fun Shoe

EvilGenius posted:

Notice how many of these involve removable media? I'd argue that the issue was with the tech, not the Labour party in particular. There's also the fact that data leaks were story de jour at the time. I bet there have leaks under the coalition, it's just that people are bored of that story.

it's not even a government thing - data protection breaches just as, or more, shocking go on every single day in every large company. Of course they never get reported because "commercial confidentiality", the same reason we're almost never allowed to see the details of PFI contracts.

Often these sort of leaks are actually a result of data protection policies that are too restrictive (and poorly written). There shouldn't be any reason, in this day and age, for removable media to ever be used under any circumstances for the transmission or storage of sensitive data - but stupid data protection policies mean that it's often difficult if not impossible to move large files between systems in the same organisation other than via CD and post.

What's perhaps strangest and most impressive, when it comes to HMG leaks, is all of them 9so far) seem to have been incompetence rather than malice. It's obvious that a malicious person would be able to get hold of truly breathtaking amounts of personal data without any real difficulty and yet nobody seems to have used this for financial advantage on a large scale (PNC checks on behalf of organised crime excluded). Of course whether this will continue now that a lot of civil servants have had effectively 5 years of pay cuts, as well as erosion of working conditions, pensions, etc, is an exercise for the reader.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cerv
Sep 14, 2004

This is a silly post with little news value.

QuantumCrayons posted:

When a normal company has a terrible data breach or data loss, they often go under within a year.

Haha. Not true in the cast majority if cases.

• Locked thread