Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Well, it's nice that nothing was damaged.

Aside from your pride.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

nullscan
May 28, 2004

TO BE A BOSS YOU MUST HAVE HONOR! HONOR AND A PENIS!

The other morning on the way into work I was approaching the last big intersection before I got on base. There's a usually two-light minimum left turn signal that I was waiting on. As the first light ahead of me turned red again, and I was puttering up to accordion back into place, I apparently decided it would be a great idea to just take the hands off the bars and have a good stretch.

Sure as gently caress woke me up when I realized that I was about to rear end the car ahead of me and what I was doing. Maybe I need my redbull before I leave the house..

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Drifter posted:

I don't think I've ever had my hand on the brake doing a u-turn. How does that work? It's not like you'd be able to stop without falling over in horrible ways or anything. Is it a weird comfort/safety blanket thing?

DId you just not look into the turn or something and get surprised by a cat pooping out?

It's easy enough to stop with the front brake while doing a turn, you just have to remember to stand the bike up as you do it. Worth practicing, because you do stop a lot faster using the front than you do the rear.

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat
Sure, maybe for wide U-turns, but I've never taken a wide u-turn in my life unless I was essentially walking my bike to begin with.

And I should perhaps clarify that when I said 'hand on my brake' I meant brake pressure - I always keep my first two fingers laying over the lever.

I just can't think of time when you'd want to hit the brakes during a committed u-turn, unless you knew before hand and accounted for it, but then you wouldn't have committed in the first place.

And I'm not ragging on the guy at all, I was just really curious about using the brake.

Drifter fucked around with this message at 18:40 on Apr 17, 2014

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

Drifter posted:

Sure, maybe for wide U-turns, but I've never taken a wide u-turn in my life unless I was essentially walking my bike to begin with.

And I should perhaps clarify that when I said 'hand on my brake' I meant brake pressure - I always keep my first two fingers laying over the lever.

I just can't think of time when you'd want to hit the brakes during a committed u-turn, unless you knew before hand and accounted for it, but then you wouldn't have committed in the first place.

I've had people move into my lane mid u-turn, or pull out in front of me while I'm doing it, or a variety of other situations...

It's good to be comfortable with what's going to happen should you need to use the brakes in that sort of situation, better to figure it out in a parking lot then in an emergency situation.

KozmoNaut
Apr 23, 2008

Happiness is a warm
Turbo Plasma Rifle

I love the tiny little twisty country back roads that I've been finding lately, but I hate the stupid 90 degree turns out of loving nowhere, especially the blind ones. And the ones with gravel all over them.

Twice today I target fixated like a total dumbass on blind corners. So yeah, I should probably slow the gently caress down for those.

And then some colossal fuckup had spilled diesel all over the gas station I stopped at, which was fun*.

*totally not fun.

Beach Bum
Jan 13, 2010
MSF BRC Day 1 today. I was the only example :blush:.

We were starting a drill and I stalled the bike. Instructor told me I needed to hurry up, so I restarted, rolled on what I thought was about 1/4 throttle and then all of a sudden I have a TU250 standing straight up in front of me. I grabbed a handful of clutch stomp the brake and brought it back down with a loud thud and hit the killswitch. I look over at the instructor and he's just shaking his head as he comes over.

:what: You okay?
:v: Yeah, I just don't want to do that again.
:what: Well, that was a really good recovery. Careful with the clutch.
:v: Okay!

The other instructor just about fell out laughing (once he figured out that everything was okay). He said he's seen all kinds of poo poo out here but had never ever seen someone upend a TU250, much less recover it on their first day on a bike ever.

Later while taking the written another instructor came in and chatted with the main instructor, and on the way out the dude asks "So who's the wheelie guy?" :cripes: So now I'm apparently famous.

But the rest of the class was a lot of fun and I learned a ton and holy poo poo I can't wait to get my endorsement and bike and gear and I am going to burn up like 50 gallons a week just toolin' about the town.

Beach Bum fucked around with this message at 19:31 on May 3, 2014

Tenchrono
Jun 2, 2011

You've caught the wheelie fever. :getin:

Dont wheelie anymore without more practice riding normally.

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Back before I took my MSF, I was riding my friend's dinky 14 hp 250. I had all of like four hours' experience at that point. Managed to 12 o'clock it and fall off the back in Atlanta rush hour traffic. That was fun. I'm glad you recovered it!

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

Master of karate and friendship...
for everyone!

Welp, I had my first serious close call due to my own stupidity on my commute home today. I commute on an expressway with a speed limit of 45, and traffic usually does about 50 to 60. There was a lot of traffic, as usual, and I was following an SUV. My main mistake was only having about 1 and a half car lengths follow distance. I'm usually really good about keeping at least 2 to 2 and a half car lengths, but I got complacent. I was relying upon my traffic prediction skills too much, and even though I expected traffic to come to a stop, I didn't expect it to stop so quickly.

I was planning on splitting soon, as the traffic slowed, and did a shoulder check to make sure I was clear to split. When I looked forward again, the SUV had slammed on their brakes hard and was coming to a complete stop. Luckily, I've practiced my emergency stop and emergency swerve a bunch, and instinct kicked in. I slammed on my brakes, realized I wasn't going to stop in time, and swerved in between lanes. I passed the SUV still doing probably 35 to 40 mph, and my mirror missed the back corner of the SUV by 1 or 2 inches. It was very close. I'm sure the drivers around me freaked and thought I was a crazy loving biker.

I really need to not get complacent and follow too closely. It can be hard in all that traffic, because cars will just jump in the space if you leave a good follow distance. I need to not be impatient, and stay vigilant! My traffic prediction has gone way up, but it'll never be perfect. I think I've started to rely on it too much, and I need to remember to slow down a bit and give space.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
It's so easy to get complacent... I've really started to notice a sharp decline in my insistence on looking ~12 seconds out, maintaining adequate following distance, and slowing/watching intersections more closely. It's amazing how quickly things change when you do something completely routine like check your blind spot... :smith:

Glad to hear you're okay though.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010
You were riding in the middle of the lane too, weren't you?

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Backov posted:

You were riding in the middle of the lane too, weren't you?

No, I was in the left tire track. That's part of why I didn't run into the back of the SUV. If I was in the middle of the lane, I wouldn't have had time from when I saw that he was slamming on his brakes to dodge it. It was a very close call.

Edit: It seemed like one of those traffic waves, where the SUV had to completely slam on their brakes to come to an emergency stop because everyone in front of me was tailgating. It just happened at the exact wrong time while I was looking over my shoulder.

Backov
Mar 28, 2010

Day Man posted:

No, I was in the left tire track. That's part of why I didn't run into the back of the SUV. If I was in the middle of the lane, I wouldn't have had time from when I saw that he was slamming on his brakes to dodge it. It was a very close call.

Edit: It seemed like one of those traffic waves, where the SUV had to completely slam on their brakes to come to an emergency stop because everyone in front of me was tailgating. It just happened at the exact wrong time while I was looking over my shoulder.

Ya, hate that. Your post just said swerve, seemed a little strong language for what to my usual riding position is just a quick flit over to the left. Good on you for not dying. :)

My solution to the problem where assholes in cages take up your safe follow buffer space is to always be in front of everyone. YMMV.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Backov posted:

Ya, hate that. Your post just said swerve, seemed a little strong language for what to my usual riding position is just a quick flit over to the left. Good on you for not dying. :)

My solution to the problem where assholes in cages take up your safe follow buffer space is to always be in front of everyone. YMMV.

Yeah, swerving is probably overstating it. I turned a little at the last moment while panic braking. :)

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Today's close call:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M67tKHZvL6w

Really wishing I had ABS there, as it would have given me another option.

Thoughts?

Gillingham
Nov 16, 2011
Pretty sure ABS would have hosed you there, you did the right thing getting out, he wasn't going directly into your path, but after you had already passed him. Gassing it away is the best option especially with the car to your left that he is staring at.

Day Man
Jul 30, 2007

Champion of the Sun!

for everyone!

Z3n posted:

Today's close call:

Thoughts?

I thought you handled it pretty well. Might have been filtering a tad too quickly, as the driver wasn't visible until the last moment. I've had a couple misses like that. I slowed down my filtering a little.

Day Man fucked around with this message at 05:05 on May 15, 2014

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

That kind of thing seems to happen a lot in interchanges so I usually try to keep to a lane. I usually go into super caution mode when I see people wheels turned like that and think I would have stopped rather than try to skin by but either way, you didn't get bumped or take a mirror off so it's all good.

I also get super wary when I see one or two people changing lanes up ahead. They seem to give people ideas and you'll have a few more that follow pretty close after.

My motorcycle related almost dying incident today was due to my work being surrounded by wildfires (Carlsbad, CA). Riding to work saved me having to sit in traffic and breath smoke for however long it would have taken to get out of that poo poo. My bike is totally covered in ashes and my helmet smells like smoke which kind of sucks.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
So... where are the pics of the fightered RC51?

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

Gillingham posted:

Pretty sure ABS would have hosed you there, you did the right thing getting out, he wasn't going directly into your path, but after you had already passed him. Gassing it away is the best option especially with the car to your left that he is staring at.

Day Man posted:

I thought you handled it pretty well. Might have been filtering a tda too quickly, as the driver wasn't visible until the last moment. I've had a couple misses like that. I slowed down my filtering a little.

Bugdrvr posted:

That kind of thing seems to happen a lot in interchanges so I usually try to keep to a lane. I usually go into super caution mode when I see people wheels turned like that and think I would have stopped rather than try to skin by but either way, you didn't get bumped or take a mirror off so it's all good.

I also get super wary when I see one or two people changing lanes up ahead. They seem to give people ideas and you'll have a few more that follow pretty close after.

My motorcycle related almost dying incident today was due to my work being surrounded by wildfires (Carlsbad, CA). Riding to work saved me having to sit in traffic and breath smoke for however long it would have taken to get out of that poo poo. My bike is totally covered in ashes and my helmet smells like smoke which kind of sucks.

Thanks guys. It's nice to hear this - a buddy of mine was involved in an accident recently (video/etc will come), and I'm extra paranoid lately.

BlackMK4 posted:

So... where are the pics of the fightered RC51?

Been busy, leaving town on work tomorrow. It's my wife's new bike :) I'm probably going to the dark side and getting a 1290.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Z3n posted:

Been busy, leaving town on work tomorrow. It's my wife's new bike :) I'm probably going to the best side and getting a 1290.

FTFY. Don't hate.

Shelvocke
Aug 6, 2013

Microwave Engraver
That is my single biggest grief when driving; people swerving out of their lane suddenly when they see an opening and not using the blinkers.

That, and a couple of weeks ago, when a kid was crossing the road through immobile traffic and stepped right in front of me from behind a van when I was filtering. I braked so suddenly I lost my balance; had both feet on the ground, holding my bike up by just the handlebars. Managed to pull it up before it went right over.

I sort of gesticulated and went "Blurghllflfbbrr?!" but he looked so shocked I just went on my way. Didn't want to ride for a couple of days after that.

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm

Z3n posted:

Been busy, leaving town on work tomorrow. It's my wife's new bike :) I'm probably going to the dark side and getting a 1290.

So, having never ridden an RC51, is it everything I've ever dreamed it could be? :v:

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Z3n posted:

Today's close call:

Thoughts?

My opinion: you were filtering too fast. That pace is acceptable if the traffic has stopped completely, but when it's crawling people will be (ineffectually) change lanes whenever there's a gap. You need to confirm no one is trying to shoot for one before moving beyond it. And unfortunately that means slowing way down.

As for the incident itself, braking or swerving, not enough time to react either way.

ReformedNiceGuy
Feb 12, 2008
Seconding Karma, you seemed to be filtering a little quick to give yourself enough time to react to idiocy on other peoples part.

After some guy in a huge queue nearly wasted me, abruptly deciding he wasn't sitting in it any longer and throwing a u-turn without indicating, I've been trying to keep my speed only a few miles an hour above whatever I'm filtering past.

Bugdrvr
Mar 7, 2003

Yesterday, on the way to a friends house for movie night, I'm pretty sure I almost died.
I was at a stop light next to the same car for four lights and we were kind of playing lazy drag up to about the speed limit. At the last light he pulled ahead and indicated he wanted to go in my lane so I slowed and let him over.
He kept his indicator on to turn right and slowed so naturally I did too.
When we got to the next intersection (where in front guy is now turning right) despite us having a solid green someone in a Nissan Altima flew through it going at least 60 without even touching the brakes.

If I had hooned it up a little more or sped up to let him over rather than slowing I would have gone right into that car or would have gotten t boned.

It was one of those moments where you realize things almost went way sideways and didn't for whatever reason.

The_Raven
Jul 2, 2004

Upon this a question arises: whether it be better to be loved than feared or feared than loved?
Bombing through backroads in some of the horsey towns north of Boston, took a left at a T intersection from a stop. As I was rolling on throttle and leaning I was so busy looking for cross-traffic that I totally didn't see the large pile of creamy horseshit in the middle of the road. As I hit it, I started to spin up and lose the back end, so I crossed up the front end a little to follow the rear into the skid and kept the throttle steady and the bike settled right down. Minor butt-pucker, more fun than scary really.

I'd love to do some dirt riding to get more comfortable with reduced traction situations. There's a course near me but it's crazy expensive.

Rime
Nov 2, 2011

by Games Forum
So I'm on the sea to sky, just past lions bay where it goes from 60 to 80. Come around a corner, and about 50ft ahead there are two firemen blocking my lane.

Switch into left lane and begin to slow, except some dick five cars up basically stops to gawk at the accident. Ever tried to stop from 70 within ten feet?

Both brakes on, left heel dragging, still skid halfway past the SUV in front, on the drivers side. :stonk:

The kicker: it was a bike in the ditch that closed the lane.

Now I'm in Squamish eating lunch and trying to stop the nerves enough to get back in one piece. Really glad I didn't gently caress up my front end rebuild yesterday. Would've been a bad time for my axle bolts to fail.

Rime fucked around with this message at 23:43 on Jun 1, 2014

Schroeder91
Jul 5, 2007

I was in a parking lot yesterday, and there was a speed bump, well two. It's level with the road in the middle. I went to cut through that part and avoid the speed bump, and I didn't notice the water there until I was about to hit it. There is a line painted down the middle of the road, so it was whatever slippery poo poo they use for that + water, in a curve. My back tire slides (I'm doing 10-15) and catches the other speed bump, gripping and shooting me forward. It wasn't that close of a call, but there was a lady holding her child on the side letting me go by first, and if I would have low sided, I'm pretty sure it would have been right into them. It was over 100 yesterday, why is there water on the road!!

BlackMK4
Aug 23, 2006

wat.
Megamarm
Welp, wait until the fuckin monsoons come after it hasn't rained for months. Slides ahoy!

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

So I had a fun ride today with my dad, he took me to a spot he's been hitting up for some curve practice since there aren't a ton of really twisty paths around where we live. Towards the end of the run I had a somewhat close call but I'm not sure what the appropriate course of action should have been so I'll let you guys make the call. Coming up on the penultimate turn of our little course I was going about 25-30 mph downhill, it felt pretty fast but not horrifically so. Once I got to just before the start of the turn I no longer felt comfortable at the speed I was going. In this picture, @3, about the blue line is where I straightened up and started braking. The green line shows where the rear slid out (i think i accidentally backed it in here) and then regained traction and I made it through the rest of the turn. I went way wide though (into the oncoming lane) and if it wasn't a quiet little tucked away road it could have gone poorly for me.

I guess my question is could I have made that turn at 25-30 if I had committed fully to the lean?
The real mistake is going faster than I felt comfortable turning, but I can't help but think that maybe I could have just leaned all the way over and held the throttle steady.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

It's hard to judge distances and appropriate speeds from a photo, but I'd say yes, there should be no problem taking that turn at 30 miles an hour. How new are you to riding again? It depends on the bike and the tires obviously but you can get leaned over a lot further than you'd expect at first.

Push harder on the inside bar, try to put your chin on your inside hand, and look as deeply into the turn as you can.

Razzled
Feb 3, 2011

MY HARLEY IS COOL

Sagebrush posted:

It's hard to judge distances and appropriate speeds from a photo, but I'd say yes, there should be no problem taking that turn at 30 miles an hour. How new are you to riding again? It depends on the bike and the tires obviously but you can get leaned over a lot further than you'd expect at first.

Push harder on the inside bar, try to put your chin on your inside hand, and look as deeply into the turn as you can.

Well, the bike has about 110 miles on it and that's as far as I've ever ridden on a bike. But yeah I think I just didn't trust the bike enough. The chin to inside bar thing is a cool idea I'll have to try it sometime.

Right after I finish fishing out those brass shavings from my tank, you fucker. :newlol:

Shimrod
Apr 15, 2007

race tires on road are a great idea, ask me!

Your mistake was changing your mind. Once you're going into a corner, commit and you'll be fine. Look through it, throw your shoulder into it and trust in the bike. It can out ride you.

If you think you're going to blow the corner wide, push into it more. Easy to say, takes time to be able to do though. You're only 110 miles in, I do more than that in a day sometimes, take your time. Stick to the limit, even under it. You'll get more comfortable with time.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker
You can also brake in a corner. Don't wack on it, just easy up gently.

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

You can brake in a corner, but for a new rider I'd recommend just leaning the poo poo out of the bike. Too easy for a new rider to accidentally grab way too much brake and crash, where if they just leaned the bike over theyd be fine.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Also, speaking from my own nearest-to-death experience, don't ride faster than you can see around a blind corner and especially don't do it on a road you don't know. It's easy to be startled by a corner than decreases in radius and end up swinging wide into the other lane, even if you were completely capable of pushing harder, getting way over and tracking through it just fine. See also nsaP's most recent video in the cycle pictures and videos thread -- same situation.

Catatron Prime
Aug 23, 2010

IT ME

Toilet Rascal
Taking wide corners (and I'm assuming target fixation) are how two motorcycles recently wound up in a head on collision near me:

http://www.nbc26.tv/story/25660437/two-motorcycles-crash-in-hocking-hills

Musta went for the wave, and wound up with a high-(side)-five

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elviscat
Jan 1, 2008

Well don't you know I'm caught in a trap?

Yeah, the bike will always lean farther than you think it can, straightening up and braking because you think you're coming in too hot is almost always the wrong answer, and can get you in serious trouble.

I'd be willing to bet your rear end stepped out when it hit the yellow lines, road paint is slippery as gently caress, especially in the rain.

• Locked thread