Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I trust precision because of Rectify but Penny Dreadful does look pretty goddamn stupid

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

PittTheElder posted:

Is that a complete Saturn V in some sort of spacedock? Because that makes zero loving sense. But I'll probably still watch an episode or two at my own peril.
I don't know if you've never seen a space movie or TV show but those are clearly living quarters strapped to a Saturn V.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Bown posted:

I trust precision because of Rectify but Penny Dreadful does look pretty goddamn stupid

The show knows what it is. That's not to say it plays things tongue in cheek, but it doesn't pretend to be high-minded drama, either.

If it means anything to you, the director of the first two episodes also directed The Orphanage.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

Grossest episode of Hannibal and it's hard to think of something more grotesque I've seen on TV. Mason Verger slices off pieces of his own face and feeds it to a dog. Then he says that he's hungry and cuts off his own nose and eats it. Then Hannibal breaks his neck

What happened to the "Pushing Daisies" Bryan Fuller and how do we get him back.

Mu Zeta fucked around with this message at 14:24 on May 17, 2014

Lovely Joe Stalin
Jun 12, 2007

Our Lovely Wang
Unless I'm mistaken Penny Dreadful has Willy Wiper and her ridiculous face in it. That's a kiss of death right there.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Age has not done Billie Piper any favors. She looks like she's in the middle of some kind of were-ape transformation.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

Irish Joe posted:

Age has not done Billie Piper any favors. She looks like she's in the middle of some kind of were-ape transformation.

At least she's not turning into a Dorito

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

As a fat nerd posting on the internet let me tell you about how much these ladies are letting themselves go

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer

Mu Zeta posted:

The second half of this season is the most Fuller-esque the show has been so far imo. And it's all the better for it.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

I have to say that Mad Men is my favorite show of all time. But I'm managing to hold off on watching the current season until at least mid-season, to enjoy it as a block.

But fuuuuck me if I manage to wait more than 24 hours to catch up on my Hannibal. Oh, Bryan-kun!

bobkatt013
Oct 8, 2006

You’re telling me Peter Parker is ...... Spider-man!?

Mu Zeta posted:

Grossest episode of Hannibal and it's hard to think of something more grotesque I've seen on TV. Mason Verger slices off pieces of his own face and feeds it to a dog. Then he says that he's hungry and cuts off his own nose and eats it. Then Hannibal breaks his neck

That is him just following the source material

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

bobkatt013 posted:

That is him just following the source material

Still hard to believe they showed it on network TV.

I had to look away.

Irish Joe
Jul 23, 2007

by Lowtax
Oh no fake blood!

Are Hannibal and Orphan Black still good this year? Last year this thread was a veritable Talisa Maslami circlejerk. This year, not a peep.

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
It's same as it ever was. I'm guessing people are just over it now.

Josh Lyman
May 24, 2009

Irish Joe posted:

Oh no fake blood!

Are Hannibal and Orphan Black still good this year? Last year this thread was a veritable Talisa Maslami circlejerk. This year, not a peep.
Hannibal even better, Orphan Black now known to TV IV and with its own thread.

zoux
Apr 28, 2006

Yeah, imo, they are both better.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

Irish Joe posted:

Last year this thread was a veritable Talisa Maslami circlejerk. This year, not a peep.

Last year, nobody knew who Tatiana Maslany was. This year, her being a badass actress is less a shock and more of a given.

cvnvcnv
Mar 17, 2013

Irish Joe posted:

Last year this thread was a veritable Talisa Maslami circlejerk. This year, not a peep.

I've never seen anything like it, an actor playing completely different people. A few of them, an audacious spectacle when you take into consideration that actors only can play a small handful of roles in their entire career before they're all used up. And the characters she plays all have her face! Oh, darling TatMas how phenomenal everything you do is.

And she should have won an Emmy for her arc on PARKS AND REC :colbert:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Tati-chan is still the best actress on TV. The ending to last week's episode was goddam amazing.

hcreight
Mar 19, 2007

My name is Oliver Queen...

Rarity posted:

Tati-chan

Damnit I thought we agreed we weren't doing this. :colbert:

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You're forgetting about Mads-senpai.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

MrAristocrates posted:

You're forgetting about Mads-senpai.

:allears:

IRQ
Sep 9, 2001

SUCK A DICK, DUMBSHITS!

hcreight posted:

Yeah I don't get this either, calling her that would imply that Orphan Black is an anime which obviously isn't the case at it doesn't suck.

ChickenMedium
Sep 2, 2001
Forum Veteran And Professor Emeritus of Condiment Studies

zoux posted:

I had to look away.

Somebody had tweeted a still of it before I saw it, so I knew what was coming and I still had to look away. Even still, the sound. It's really a testament to how good Hannibal is that I can watch it at all when I have such an aversion to gore/body horror stuff.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

The episode earlier this season that had the sound of skin ripping off was up there too. This drat show.

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

zoux posted:

I had to look away.

The whole thing was completely in shadows so you barely saw a hint of it.

Lugaloco
Jun 29, 2011

Ice to see you!

E: nvm

Escobarbarian
Jun 18, 2004

Grimey Drawer
I love that according to Fuller they had no S&P issues with that scene but did have one with the amount of blood coming from the throat in the fantasy sequence near the beginning.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

hcreight posted:

Why do you think I did it? :smug:

savinhill
Mar 28, 2010

Mu Zeta posted:

The episode earlier this season that had the sound of skin ripping off was up there too. This drat show.

You're talking about the stitches in the iris tableau, right? That got to me a lot more than last night's face scene for some reason.

Mu Zeta
Oct 17, 2002

Me crush ass to dust

savinhill posted:

You're talking about the stitches in the iris tableau, right? That got to me a lot more than last night's face scene for some reason.

It's almost worse if you close your eyes because you hear him screaming and the skin tearing.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I was able to get through the skin tearing with minimal looking away (probably because it was shorter), the face scene was just constant hiding behind my hands.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames
I actually don't like the way Orphan Black is going this season so far. I'm not saying it's gotten actually bad, there are just some moral things they're doing that are just, ugh. And it's just not as interesting, somehow.

I dunno.

GreenNight
Feb 19, 2006
Turning the light on the darkest places, you and I know we got to face this now. We got to face this now.

Because you loved the first season so much that there was no way for it to go where you wouldn't be let down?

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

precision posted:

I actually don't like the way Orphan Black is going this season so far. I'm not saying it's gotten actually bad, there are just some moral things they're doing that are just, ugh. And it's just not as interesting, somehow.

I dunno.

It's always been a really mediocre to kind of bad show solely elevated by one person's performance. It really hasn't changed at all in that regard.

DivisionPost
Jun 28, 2006

Nobody likes you.
Everybody hates you.
You're gonna lose.

Smile, you fuck.

precision posted:

I dunno.

I'm not caught up, but I assume you're referring to the hosed up Jack Ketchum poo poo going on with Helena? Because I can see how that could mess some people up.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

GreenNight posted:

Because you loved the first season so much that there was no way for it to go where you wouldn't be let down?

No, I genuinely don't like some things that the characters are doing. Despite having accidentally made the thread for season 1 (it was originally a BBC America catchall thread) I actually was never going "THIS IS THE BEST SHOW HOLY poo poo". I liked it just fine and thought Tatiana was great but I wasn't on the enormous hype train like some goons were/are.

DivisionPost posted:

I'm not caught up, but I assume you're referring to the hosed up Jack Ketchum poo poo going on with Helena? Because I can see how that could mess some people up.

Honestly, pretty much every character is doing awful things now.

X-O
Apr 28, 2002

Long Live The King!

If you have some moral objection to it for whatever reason then just stop watching it I guess. I personally watch shows for entertainment and if people do reprehensible stuff and it has a purpose in the story and it's not just cheap schlock in order to try and get a reaction then I don't normally care what kind of content it contains.

precision
May 7, 2006

by VideoGames

Deadpool posted:

If you have some moral objection to it for whatever reason then just stop watching it I guess. I personally watch shows for entertainment and if people do reprehensible stuff and it has a purpose in the story and it's not just cheap schlock in order to try and get a reaction then I don't normally care what kind of content it contains.

I'm not really watching it, I didn't watch it tonight. It's still early in the season so it could turn around. The morally gross stuff the characters are doing isn't something where I'm like "THIS CANNOT STAND" - I certainly like a lot of media where the characters do terrible, terrible things - just that in this case it stands out as being... I think "lazy"? Like the writers just couldn't be bothered to have the characters have a cohesive set of ethics and they just do things to move the plot forward.

e: Although also I don't know why anyone cares what I think anymore, as it's my understanding I'm The Worst (though I don't really understand why)

precision fucked around with this message at 04:23 on May 18, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Can you elaborate or something because I still don't know what specifically you're talking about. What morally questionable things are the characters doing?

E: I promise not to call you the worst even though your opinion differs from mine.

Regy Rusty fucked around with this message at 04:42 on May 18, 2014

• Locked thread