Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Slavvy posted:

The FZ-1 has an R1 engine, though? I don't know of any bike prior to the R1 that had a stacked gearbox like that. Not to imply it's somehow less reliable or whatever, but AFAIK it most certainly isn't the genesis engine.

The stacked gearbox was part of the redesign of the engine when they developed the R1, but the basic 20v engine itself first debuted in 1984 on the FZR750:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Genesis_engine

They've refined and updated it a lot since then, but Yamaha still considers it the same basic engine family.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Interesting! I didn't realise they were all based on the same architecture. That's some impressive design-milking.

Carth Dookie
Jan 28, 2013

Just had the steering bearings on my VTR 1000 changed. I didn't realise how bad it had gotten until I was finding myself getting nervous around corners because the first 1-2 degrees of travel in the bars were basically solid. Kept making it feel feel as if the whole front end was going to wash out. Now it's amazing. I had no idea a bike that big could be so nimble. Its great not to have to hammer it around corners.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

So out of curiosity, does 20 valves mean 20 separate adjustments when it's time for a valve job?

Snowdens Secret
Dec 29, 2008
Someone got you a obnoxiously racist av.
As opposed to a more conventional 16?

Militant Lesbian
Oct 3, 2002

Sagebrush posted:

So out of curiosity, does 20 valves mean 20 separate adjustments when it's time for a valve job?

Only on the valves which are out of spec; which can be any number between 0 and 20.

They're fortunately a 26k mile service interval*. Which is good considering it involves a decent amount of disassembly and some special tools to change the shims out.

(which is a ridiculously long service interval for such a high revving motor; most comparable engines like the CBR1000RR's have intervals closer to 16k)

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Snowdens Secret posted:

As opposed to a more conventional 16?

My bike has six and my other bike has four.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Sagebrush posted:

Is the Nt650 3 valves a cylinder or something?

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Yep.

Moral_Hazard
Aug 21, 2012

Rich Kid of Insurancegram

Crayvex posted:

Still only 50 miles on it now. I remember how hard it was to learn to ride a sport bike when I got my R6. Now I feel like I am relearning slow speed stuff again on the FZ1.

I really like the look of this bike. Congrats on it.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Interesting! That's the first bike I've heard of that's 3v. You would expect there to be more, seeing as there are so many 3v cars, but I guess the cost-benefit equation is different for bikes. I'm assuming it's SOHC, does it have rocker arms with screw adjusters, or the little shims that sit on top of the valve stem?

echomadman
Aug 24, 2004

Nap Ghost

Slavvy posted:

Interesting! That's the first bike I've heard of that's 3v. You would expect there to be more, seeing as there are so many 3v cars, but I guess the cost-benefit equation is different for bikes. I'm assuming it's SOHC, does it have rocker arms with screw adjusters, or the little shims that sit on top of the valve stem?

http://hawkworks.net/manual/3.html#3-7-valve-clearance screw adjusters. they used that engine on the africa twins and NT650 deauvilles as well.

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

Sagebrush posted:

My old bike had 10! beat that.

Nidhg00670000
Mar 26, 2010

We're in the pipe, five by five.
Grimey Drawer
TDM?

karms
Jan 22, 2006

by Nyc_Tattoo
Yam Slacker

:hf:

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒
Being from Chicago, I don't get lots of chances to post pictures of scenery and crap.

(CROSSPOSTED FROM CHICAGO THREAD)

Really nice, curvy roads north of Chicago, huge mansions, some sort of domey temple, and lots of whitehaired bluebloods that can't drive.

ShaneB
Oct 22, 2002

captainOrbital posted:

Really nice, curvy roads north of Chicago, huge mansions, some sort of domey temple, and lots of whitehaired bluebloods that can't drive.

Sheridan is literally the only nice road anywhere near Chicago proper. You gotta go REALLY early in the morning to avoid the traffic, though.

cheesebot
Jul 21, 2002

I cheesebot
Here's my 1989 Honda Transalp (XL600V) somewhere in the Massachusetts Berkshires this weekend.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Being used like god intended.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

cheesebot posted:

Here's my 1989 Honda Transalp (XL600V) somewhere in the Massachusetts Berkshires this weekend.

I love those old transalps. Glad to see one that isn't sitting in a garage.

Chichevache
Feb 17, 2010

One of the funniest posters in GIP.

Just not intentionally.

cheesebot posted:

How do you like it? My MSF instructor had one and she swore by it. In fact that was the bike she recommended that I pick up, since I was looking at dual sports.

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled
This is my new life-mate:

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

JohnnyDangerously posted:

That looks brilliant. How motardy is it to ride? I've always thought of them as just being upright naked sportbikes more than hypermotards or whatever they're marketed as.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard
I would love to ride an SMT. How do you like it?

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled

Slavvy posted:

That looks brilliant. How motardy is it to ride? I've always thought of them as just being upright naked sportbikes more than hypermotards or whatever they're marketed as.

I've never ridden a motard so I can't say, but it's not hard to ride it like a hooligan. On the other hand, once I replaced the very hard seat seen in the picture, it's the best touring bike I've ever had, which is why I bought it. Plus it looks badass.

adary
Feb 9, 2014

meh

I've never ridden a motard so I can't say, but it's not hard to ride it like a hooligan. On the other hand, once I replaced the very hard seat seen in the picture, it's the best touring bike I've ever had, which is why I bought it. Plus it looks badass.

That's the first KTM that I saw and actually liked!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.

If KTM would make a 1190 SM-T I would gladly make it my first bike I ever bought new. Gah.

Congrats on the awesome new ride :)

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH

Chichevache posted:

How do you like it? My MSF instructor had one and she swore by it. In fact that was the bike she recommended that I pick up, since I was looking at dual sports.

I have a '93 transalp that I've done 12k km on, and I like it a lot. Mind you it's my first bike so I don't have that much to compare it against. It's easy to work on, pretty uncomplicated and has okay power for it's size. Neglected poo poo that the POs haven't touched in 10 years are a bitch to unbolt etc, but that's all bikes. It's not the lightest dual-sport(200kg wet), and got a bit of fork dive, but handles gravel/sealed surface great according to the tires you use. Single brake disc in front until '96 I think and top speed around 130-140 km/h, but I like it better in sub 100 km/h. Stock seat is okay, but not awesome.

clutchpuck
Apr 30, 2004
ro-tard

Z3n posted:

If KTM would make a 1190 SM-T I would gladly make it my first bike I ever bought new. Gah.

Yeah, I'm bummed they replaced it with the Adventure line.

Erik had better offer a 17" wheel set with the AX.

captainOrbital
Jan 23, 2003

Wrathchild!
💢🧒

drat that's nice. That's been in my top 3 for a while now.

Digital_Jesus
Feb 10, 2011

Hi5 KTM buddy.

Frozen Pizza Party
Dec 13, 2005

Digital_Jesus posted:

Hi5 KTM buddy.

tois-5 buddies.

JohnnyDangerously
Aug 3, 2007
Disgruntled

SaNChEzZ posted:

tois-5 buddies.

Hai Guyz.

Comfort Seat is Comfy.

DrakeriderCa
Feb 3, 2005

But I'm a real cowboy!

Hai Guyz.

Comfort Seat is Comfy.

That bike is awesome. Nice work!

Z3n
Jul 21, 2007

I think the point is Z3n is a space cowboy on the edge of a frontier unknown to man, he's out there pushing the limits, trail braking into the abyss. Finding out where the edge of the razor is, turning to face the darkness and revving his 690 into it's vast gaze. You gotta live this to learn it bro.
I have a dream that we will have a KTM army here soon.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

Oh no, something followed me home today.

that one guy chad
Jan 12, 2008

how many pairs of girls pants do you think would fit in that? As a V-Strom owner, you need to be prepared for this.

Odette
Mar 19, 2011

NipplesTheCat posted:

how many pairs of girls pants do you think would fit in that? As a V-Strom owner, you need to be prepared for this.

Zero. Makeup bag takes up all the space.

Retarted Pimple
Jun 2, 2002

NipplesTheCat posted:

I'll ask my date this weekend.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Safety Dance
Sep 10, 2007

Five degrees to starboard!

Spoiler alert: on Monday, Retarded Pimp will be single again.