Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
El Burbo
Oct 10, 2012

Vampires shouldn't be able to see themselves in mirrors :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

the wildest rear end posted:

Vampires shouldn't be able to see themselves in mirrors :colbert:

That's the other advantage of stealing a Joestar body!

Soulcleaver
Sep 25, 2007

Murderer

Rexides posted:

JoJo thread, I have a confession to make. I... I don't think I like this new season that much :ohdear:
I admit that many of the fights in Stardust Crusaders aren't as cleverly done as those from Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency. Or anything that comes after. Araki had just invented Stands and was still working out the kinks, so you occasionally get some asspull moves like Star Platinum's Extended Shining Fingaaaaaaa instead of good guys who win fights through trickery. But rest assured, you will still see plenty of the latter. The back-and-forth craziness we enjoyed in stuff like in the Wham or AC/DC fights will appear again and again. Using your resources to bullshit your way to victory is the heart and soul of Jojo.

quote:

Is it going to get more fabulous any time soon? None of the characters/villains introduced up to now are fabulous enough. I can't wait for DIO to properly enter the plot, I bet he will inject all the fabulous that I need.
You just got a perverted ape wearing a captain's outfit, smoking a pipe and solving Rubik's Cubes while controlling a ghost ship. This is only the beginning of the bizarre adventure.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
I always assumed star finger was something the editors forced him to do so that the main character had an actual attack to yell out.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

darealkooky posted:

I always assumed star finger was something the editors forced him to do so that the main character had an actual attack to yell out.

He shouts ORAORAORA when he does the million punches thing, he doesn't need anything more :colbert:

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

Shugojin posted:

Actually mostly the other thing. It does help him revel in his victory over Jonathan after all.

HEY JONATHAN! Check out what I, DIO, can make your body do!

Also don't forget the person most captivated by Dio's charisma is himself, he's a massive narcissist.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

MonsterEnvy posted:

Apparently the episode was a reference to a movie called Death Ship.

Almost all the enemy Stand of part 3 are inspired by horror movies.
I mean, Dark Blue Moon is pretty much the "C reature from the Black Lagoon"

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012

MonsterEnvy posted:

Apparently the episode was a reference to a movie called Death Ship.

A lot of the stuff the orangutan does, such as smoking cigars and the shower scene, is borrowed from cool movie Link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha1_1_6LPFA

ZeroCount
Aug 12, 2013

Soulcleaver posted:

I admit that many of the fights in Stardust Crusaders aren't as cleverly done as those from Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency. Or anything that comes after. Araki had just invented Stands and was still working out the kinks, so you occasionally get some asspull moves like Star Platinum's Extended Shining Fingaaaaaaa instead of good guys who win fights through trickery. But rest assured, you will still see plenty of the latter. The back-and-forth craziness we enjoyed in stuff like in the Wham or AC/DC fights will appear again and again. Using your resources to bullshit your way to victory is the heart and soul of Jojo.

Ripples battles were basically asspull central though.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Stardust Crusaders is just kinda weak until they actually get to Egypt and the anime is really dragging all of this early stuff out. v:shobon:v Second half of the season should be a lot better.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Yasser Arafatwa posted:

Stardust Crusaders is just kinda weak until they actually get to Egypt and the anime is really dragging all of this early stuff out. v:shobon:v Second half of the season should be a lot better.

I think that the first fight in India is really, really good.

darealkooky
Sep 15, 2011

You sayin' I like dubs?!?
Nah, I'd say things Get Good (or at least very silly) either next episode or the one after.

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
Please shut up about when it does and does not get better. This is not even spoilers, you are not helping to dissuade anyone's fears by saying, "OH, it's a lovely show right now, but wait for about 20 episodes and it starts getting good!" I like this part a lot, but coming off of Battle Tendency the start is not bombastic and if people want to complain about how dull they feel the show is 7 episodes in that's fair. Stop trying to convince them they'll like it at "X" point, let it happen.

Vagithug
Dec 27, 2012

by Ralp

Freakazoid_ posted:

There better NOT be more underage nudity or I'll drop the show right now. It's inexcusable.

Joseph accidentally fingers a baby's butt.

Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

I thought I was clear that I had more of a problem with David Productions pacing right now, than the content itself. Sorry if it seemed like I was trying to hype up the later parts, wasn't intended. :shobon:

Phobophilia
Apr 26, 2008

by Hand Knit

ZeroCount posted:

Ripples battles were basically asspull central though.

Next, you are going to say "how is it he strung that rope through there?"

Creamed Cormp
Jan 8, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN
Did I just watch a guy beat up a magical monkey?

Other dumb thoughts, out of order:
- I knew I had heard that kid before, it's Rie Kugiyama. I should be ashamed of recognizing her but never managing to recognize any other seiyuu, male or female. I mean, aside from Norio Wakamoto of course.
- Pretty cool stand, kinda meh fight.
- It's funny that they censor Jotaro's smoking. Made me realize that we hardly ever see shonen heroes smoke nowadays. I wonders if there are laws against that.
- I leaned something about Singapore, thanks JoJo!

David D. Davidson
Nov 17, 2012

Orca lady?

WitchFetish posted:

- I leaned something about Singapore, thanks JoJo!
Having read some of the other parts, I think it's safe to say that Araki was a Wikipedia junkie before the internet even existed. He really likes to throw in stupid little factoids about seemingly random stuff in everything he writes.

David D. Davidson fucked around with this message at 03:00 on May 18, 2014

Vagithug
Dec 27, 2012

by Ralp

David D. Davidson posted:

Having read some of the other parts, I think it's safe to say that Araki was a Wikipedia junkie before the internet even existed. He really likes to throw in stupid little factoids about seemingly random stuff in everything he writes.

He likes to read a lot of stuff and I think he traveled so he would read factoids about places he going to? I can't remember if that is stuff from interviews he's done or his notes in the volumes.

Viola the Mad
Feb 13, 2010
How did they get from the middle of the ocean to Singapore? Did I miss something? I can understand if they didn't want to waste a lot of time on an actual rescue but I would have expected a cursory shot of the team being found. Was there something in the manga that didn't make it to the show?

Captain Baal
Oct 23, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022
They got back on the boats and an actual boat came across them and found them and took them to Singapore. Joseph straight up says they have to wait for someone to rescue them because they don't know where they are. Here's a screenshot from the anime, please excuse my mouse, but I like to think I was subconsciously trying to point out the boat for you.

Captain Baal fucked around with this message at 04:24 on May 18, 2014

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

I know I wouldn't have seen the boat if the mouse cursor wasn't there to point it out to me. It's very subtle.

Kanos
Sep 6, 2006

was there a time when speedwagon didn't get trolled

WitchFetish posted:

- It's funny that they censor Jotaro's smoking. Made me realize that we hardly ever see shonen heroes smoke nowadays. I wonders if there are laws against that.

Can't show underage smoking on TV.

trucutru
Jul 9, 2003

by Fluffdaddy

Kanos posted:

Can't show underage smoking on TV.

That Orangutan was clearly both smoking and underage.

Sekkira
Apr 11, 2008

I Don't Get It,
I Don't Get It,

trucutru posted:

That Orangutan was clearly both smoking and underage.

He was clearly wearing a captain's uniform. Underage people are physically incapable of wearing a captain's uniform.

Freakazoid_
Jul 5, 2013

Buglord

Rexides posted:

JoJo thread, I have a confession to make. I... I don't think I like this new season that much :ohdear:

I'm with you on this one. A lot of what made the previous season bizarre isn't the same kind of bizarre as this season. The previous season seemed to balance ridiculousness with a decent plot and some great action, there was always something to look forward to next episode. This season is more like villain-a-day trash, with just the bare minimum of motivation. It doesn't matter if the orangutan controlled a whole ship, it means nothing if he gets taken down in the same episode he premiered in. The only thing tying this show together is the snappy dresses and animation quality.

Funny enough, HnK (the anime) started this way. Had a strong intro, but followed up with a series of boring trash villains. Once those villains stopped, things got better. Maybe this season is like that.

halleys comet
Feb 29, 2012

Freakazoid_ posted:

I'm with you on this one. A lot of what made the previous season bizarre isn't the same kind of bizarre as this season. The previous season seemed to balance ridiculousness with a decent plot and some great action, there was always something to look forward to next episode. This season is more like villain-a-day trash, with just the bare minimum of motivation. It doesn't matter if the orangutan controlled a whole ship, it means nothing if he gets taken down in the same episode he premiered in. The only thing tying this show together is the snappy dresses and animation quality.

Funny enough, HnK (the anime) started this way. Had a strong intro, but followed up with a series of boring trash villains. Once those villains stopped, things got better. Maybe this season is like that.

We're less than halfway through the Tarot right now

halleys comet fucked around with this message at 06:27 on May 18, 2014

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.
"Villain-a-day" isn't a structure that you can immediately write off as having no merits and trust me, Part 3 uses it very well. The first few just aren't at the level of the fights in part 2, primarily because it's introducing what the stands can actually do. The villains in that villain-a-day structure get more interesting.

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Freakazoid_ posted:

If you're gonna write it off for having a lot of villain of the week stuff, then you might as well jump off the rest of the Jojo train, because coming up with a new stand power for a hero to puzzle out is literally the next 23 years of Jojo comics.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Pomp posted:

If you're gonna write it off for having a lot of villain of the week stuff, then you might as well jump off the rest of the Jojo train, because coming up with a new stand power for a hero to puzzle out is literally the next 23 years of Jojo comics.

I'm not too familiar with the rest of the series, but "puzzle battle" =! villain of the week.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

Each of the Piller Men were more or less Stand battles

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
The early fights are pretty short but we'll get longer ones soon.

Genocyber posted:

I'm not too familiar with the rest of the series, but "puzzle battle" =! villain of the week.

Can you explain what you mean? I don't think those two things are mutually exclusive.

halleys comet posted:

A lot of the stuff the orangutan does, such as smoking cigars and the shower scene, is borrowed from cool movie Link https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ha1_1_6LPFA

I kind of want to see that now.

Kurtofan fucked around with this message at 06:56 on May 18, 2014

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Phantom Blood and Battle Tendency could have longer fights because they were shorter and had less people to fight. Like, I don't think you guys quite understand how many more fights are in Stardust. There's a lot.

WickedHate
Aug 1, 2013

by Lowtax
Stardust Crusaders is the basic template that all other JoJo's build from. Each part is different in their own way but SC is the bare building blocks. Parts 1 and 2 are really non indicative of the whole series.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Kurtofan posted:

The early fights are pretty short but we'll get longer ones soon.

Can you explain what you mean? I don't think those two things are mutually exclusive.

i'm saying the one guy was complaining about this being all villain of the week type stuff so far, and the other guy said he should just stop watching because the rest of the series is puzzle battles, two concepts that do not have to go hand in hand. Especially dumb since the previous seasons were puzzle battles and not villain of the week type stuff

Captain_Indigo
Jul 29, 2007

"That’s cheating! You know the rules: once you sacrifice something here, you don’t get it back!"

As someone who loves Part 3, I do get people being irked by it. I really enjoyed this episode, but ultimately the 'puzzle' fight was 'The ape binds Jojo and Star Platinum against the wall so they can't get out. Then they get out because they are so strong.'

Renoistic
Jul 27, 2007

Everyone has a
guardian angel.
Some guy getting impaired by a hook through the face - OK

Long, lingering shots of a 12-year old in the shower - OK

Jotaro smoking a cigarette - BAD

Best/worst joke in the episode.

Aurora
Jan 7, 2008

The guy getting hooked in the face got censored, though

Pomp
Apr 3, 2012

by Fluffdaddy

Genocyber posted:

i'm saying the one guy was complaining about this being all villain of the week type stuff so far, and the other guy said he should just stop watching because the rest of the series is puzzle battles, two concepts that do not have to go hand in hand. Especially dumb since the previous seasons were puzzle battles and not villain of the week type stuff

I said it was a new puzzle every time. :colbert:

Captain_Indigo posted:

As someone who loves Part 3, I do get people being irked by it. I really enjoyed this episode, but ultimately the 'puzzle' fight was 'The ape binds Jojo and Star Platinum against the wall so they can't get out. Then they get out because they are so strong.'

The solution was actually, "they get out because Jotaro takes advantage of the ape's natural insticts, making it lose focus in anger."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Pomp posted:

The solution was actually, "they get out because Jotaro takes advantage of the ape's natural insticts, making it lose focus in anger."

And the fact that the Ape was still holding the button thrown at him allowing him to use one of his powers to flick it into his face at superspeed.

• Locked thread