Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Finished my first play through as a mace wielding lightning chucker and Miracles really trivialized things a lot.

Going to play again as pure melee I think. I imagine sorcery also makes the game a joke even with the complaints about it I've read in this thread?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

ImPureAwesome posted:

Hunters hat is the fedora of dark souls :colbert:

Agreed, so I gave that poo poo to Rosabeth ASAP.

I really like the falconer helmet and tunic but all the boots and gloves I have so far just kinda look the same.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

My paladin's sword is too long to even fit in the picture. Thanks, drakekeepers!

Cryohazard
Feb 5, 2010

DSauer posted:

Finished my first play through as a mace wielding lightning chucker and Miracles really trivialized things a lot.

Going to play again as pure melee I think. I imagine sorcery also makes the game a joke even with the complaints about it I've read in this thread?

Sorcery is boring as poo poo until you get your INT up above 40, and there's also a huge gap between the catalyst you start with and... any other catalyst, if you don't have the DLC one (which requires faith.)

Super fun for NG+ though!

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Regy Rusty posted:

I really like the falconer helmet and tunic but all the boots and gloves I have so far just kinda look the same.

Go murder some lion warriors for their sweet bracelets.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Control Volume posted:

Go murder some lion warriors for their sweet bracelets.

Where are they, I'm only up to Earthen Peak.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

The lion warrior "mask" is really, really ugly on a human (or Hollow) character because it looks like a weird metal jockstrap for your face.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

Where are they, I'm only up to Earthen Peak.

Behind Rosabeth/that statue person next to Benhart.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

turtlecrunch posted:

Need more BLOM

Can any lore wizards conjecture some significance to these bird/Horus statues in the Heide Tower/COB?

The bird statues are straight up statues of Lord Gwyn but with an eagle head. People suspect that this means that Heide is the area where Flame God Flann and Gwynevere fled to before the events of Dark Souls 1. The strong connection to flame along with an actual Dragon Slayer guarding the cathedral makes this likely, too.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

People also think Heide's Tower resembles Anor Londo, but personally I think the submerged/melting sections of Iron Keep look more like Anor Londo.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

Regy Rusty posted:

Yesss, I did too.

The best hat is the Grave Warden's Mask combined with heavy armor (nevermind the bullshit weapon, it has since been replaced with the Channeler's Trident). So what if it has like 5 physical defense? :colbert: I just need better pants...

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

The only proper attire for Rosabeth is the Desert Sorceress Set.

NihilVerumNisiMors
Aug 16, 2012
I don't see why people like Velstadt so much. The fight is basically Smelter Demon 1.3 - Big element infused attacks, bit of magic. Horrid tracking, turns on a dime. The right shield trivializes him.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

I don't see why people like Velstadt so much. The fight is basically Smelter Demon 1.3 - Big element infused attacks, bit of magic. Horrid tracking, turns on a dime. The right shield trivializes him.

Because he awakens fond, squid headed memories in all of us.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Everything he does is telegraphed so far in advance an 80 year old with bad eyes could dodge them. When he channels he big magic attack in the second phase is free "beat the gently caress out of him" time!

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

It's because he's based off of the coolest dude from Demon's Souls. *

Coolest next to Yurt.

Cyberventurer
Jul 10, 2005
How do you deal with someone who is CONSTANTLY backpedaling away from you? I just got to the Mirror Knight in NG++ and he summoned a guy who did nothing but back up the entire time and pelt me with spells whenever the boss was about to swing. He just rolled away whenever I tried to cast something, and kept backing up whenever I got close to try to melee him.

If only the guard break timing wasn't so hosed up, maybe I would have been able to do that. God knows I tried 6 or 7 times. :(

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Night Blade posted:

The only proper attire for Rosabeth is the Desert Sorceress Set.

Can you give her more clothes after the first time? I will gladly continue playing dress up if so.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013
/\Yep, though as a warning she won't just change into a single article of clothing. If you give her a full set the first time, and then come back to give her pants, she'll only be wearing pants next time.

I always wanted to make a build around him, I just never had the patience to get my level high enough.

Then again, DeS still has its copy glitch, so maybe I should just use that.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Velstadt looks dumb though. Yurt was cool.

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

Regy Rusty posted:

Can you give her more clothes after the first time? I will gladly continue playing dress up if so.

I've never tried it, but the option is there so I'm guessing yes.

kazil
Jul 24, 2005

Derpmph trial star reporter!

The right shield trivializes most fights in the Souls series. Stop playing with shields.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,

Colapops posted:

People also think Heide's Tower resembles Anor Londo, but personally I think the submerged/melting sections of Iron Keep look more like Anor Londo.

Yeah, the Iron Keep is evocative of Anor Londo, too. It's heavily implied and pretty much confirmed in playthrough 2 that the Old Iron King was gifted the Lord Soul of Gwyn. That's probably why the Alonne Knights make the same sound as the Black/Silver Knights in DS1.

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

word has anyone got a link to that guy who draws those funny dark souls 2 webcomics?

Nahxela
Oct 11, 2008

Execution
Are you guys summoning phantoms alright? I can see signs, but whenever I try to summon someone, it says Summoning Failed. Time Out.

FirstPersonShitter posted:

word has anyone got a link to that guy who draws those funny dark souls 2 webcomics?
Here you go: http://setzeri.tumblr.com/post/80168540721/dork-souls-2

Heliosicle
May 16, 2013

Arigato, Racists.
I forgot Yurt existed, he was pretty cool.

Also it kind of looks to me like the Aurous armour takes inspiration from Yurt's Gloom armour, they aren't entirely the same but do have a lot of similarities.

King of Solomon
Oct 23, 2008

S S

Colapops posted:

Velstadt looks dumb though. Yurt was cool.

Only because he doesn't look enough like Garl Vinland. :colbert:

StashAugustine
Mar 24, 2013

Do not trust in hope- it will betray you! Only faith and hatred sustain.

Colapops posted:

My paladin's sword is too long to even fit in the picture. Thanks, drakekeepers!

Where are those pants from?

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So when people were saying that the humble dagger was an incredible backstabbing force of nature, were they maybe overselling it a bit? I cranked one to +10 and while its backstabs are vicious, it does about equal damage to my +10 mace.

Which, to be fair, makes it obvious the dagger is getting a huge critical damage bonus compared to the mace since their plain attacks are leagues apart in terms of damage, but I'm a little disappointed.

poptart_fairy
Apr 8, 2009

by R. Guyovich
Comparing anything to the mace is going to end in heartbreak. :v:

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

Night Blade posted:

The only proper attire for Rosabeth is the Desert Sorceress Set. turtle gear sans helmet

Unrelated: I greatly underestimate the ability of the drakes in Dragon Aerie to breathe fire straight through solid rock walls. I made some noises.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Heliosicle posted:

Also it kind of looks to me like the Aurous armour takes inspiration from Yurt's Gloom armour, they aren't entirely the same but do have a lot of similarities.

Kinda not really??

juggalo baby coffin
Dec 2, 2007

How would the dog wear goggles and even more than that, who makes the goggles?

Nahxela posted:

Are you guys summoning phantoms alright? I can see signs, but whenever I try to summon someone, it says Summoning Failed. Time Out.

Here you go: http://setzeri.tumblr.com/post/80168540721/dork-souls-2

Hell yeah thanks dude.

sushibandit
Feb 12, 2009

Fashion Souls? Fashion Souls!

I find it irritating that some skirts/pants with the Smelter Demon chestpiece hide the retarded looking lower jaw and others don't. It makes finding a good combo more difficult. That said, I've been enjoying killing intruders in Saints with my barbarian priestess this evening.

Got 30 sunlight medals out of the way earlier today as well. The ~2m SM bracket is alive and well for being a sunbro at Demon of Song in NG.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

sushibandit posted:

Fashion Souls? Fashion Souls!

I find it irritating that some skirts/pants with the Smelter Demon chestpiece hide the retarded looking lower jaw and others don't. It makes finding a good combo more difficult. That said, I've been enjoying killing intruders in Saints with my barbarian priestess this evening.

Got 30 sunlight medals out of the way earlier today as well. The ~2m SM bracket is alive and well for being a sunbro at Demon of Song in NG.

I'm not sure if you know what fashion souls is

Artificer
Apr 8, 2010

You're going to try ponies and you're. Going. To. LOVE. ME!!
Considering removing the +10 Lightning Dagger from my loadout since a buffed Defender Greatsword does a lot of damage as it is, and if they survive the dagger, I'll want the buff to still be on my primary weapon.

Do you guys carry around a dagger just for crits?

Night Blade
Feb 25, 2013

kazil posted:

The right shield trivializes most fights in the Souls series. Stop playing with shields.

You don't need a shield when you can just dodge to the opposite side of the enemies weapon and just clip through their animation.

Stop using tools the game gives you, guys!

Night Blade fucked around with this message at 01:15 on May 18, 2014

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Do I need to put points into attunement for slots to cast miracles or? How does that work?

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

garth ferengi posted:

I'm not sure if you know what fashion souls is

Fashion Souls also involves making yourself look so ridiculous that your opponent spends a minute figuring out what the gently caress he's looking at. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shindragon
Jun 6, 2011

by Athanatos

Gee, just like any other Souls game.