Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is there any confirmation on the retail price for it? If it's 60 then I'm really god drat glad I offloaded my old one for 300 the moment the news got announced

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

Well, the Canadian MSRPs are 99.99 for Grimlock and 69.99 for Prowl.

Adjust for the currently joketastic Canadian dollar as you see fit. I'll be over here, crying tears of maple syrup into my moose.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
Actually Scorn smelled really bad out-of-the-package, wow. Must have been the paint they used on the soft plastic bits. He's fine now but there was a stench.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Marketing materials and speculation are not spoilers. Jesus Christ.
Those are some tiny-rear end Dinobots, Hasbro. Even DotM Deluxe Ratchet is a full head taller than Scorn and Slug in robot mode. They're worthwhile figures, especially Scorn, but drat these are small Deluxes.

Keldroc fucked around with this message at 00:14 on May 18, 2014

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

They've got mad personality, though! And they're... dimensional, too. Lots of widths.

And I've given up on worrying about how big the figures are, anyway.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

Normally I don't care much about size, but A) Dinosaurs should be big and B) These things are $15.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

It's a sign of the times. Plastic is expensive.

But whatever. I just wanna give mad kudos to whoever thought of the Knight aesthetic for these guys. It's not an intuitive combination but it gives them so much character, especially Slug's big frog-mouth.

... I really want a Dinobot with a :darksouls: Onion Helm, now.

Joe Fisto
Dec 6, 2002

And I looked, and behold a pale horse: and his name that sat on him was Death, and Hell followed with him.
I had to go to 4 different stores today to find AOE stuff. Walmart, Target and KMart didn't have anything out. TRU was fully stocked and I walked away with the Dinobots. Scorn is the clean winner from the three that I grabbed.

Haven't seen any non-dinobots aside from Hound that I'm interested in. Maybe evasion OP, but I thought he looked skinny and weird.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

TRU Times Square had basically everything, but I'm holding out on the Platinum Tupac for Evasion Prime (and Grimlock, I guess) and the other two Deluxes don't interest me.

Rhyno
Mar 22, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 10 years!

DoctorWhat posted:

TRU Times Square had basically everything, but I'm holding out on the Platinum Tupac for Evasion Prime (and Grimlock, I guess) and the other two Deluxes don't interest me.

Please tell me this is the greatest Auto-Correct ever.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Wait what? Oh my god that's incredible.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

It's a sign of the times. Plastic is expensive.

But whatever. I just wanna give mad kudos to whoever thought of the Knight aesthetic for these guys. It's not an intuitive combination but it gives them so much character, especially Slug's big frog-mouth.

... I really want a Dinobot with a :darksouls: Onion Helm, now.

I also enjoy that the knight aesthetic on the Dinobots makes the attempt at "knights" in the BotCon exclusives look even more pitiful than it already did.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

Keldroc posted:

I also enjoy that the knight aesthetic on the Dinobots makes the attempt at "knights" in the BotCon exclusives look even more pitiful than it already did.

I've told you guys that, when asked on Twitter if the "Pirates Vs. Knights" thing was a jab at third-party companies, the @BotCon account got really cloying and sarcastic - right? I'm sure I've mentioned this.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Maybe it's because I was used to Prime figures and the latest waves of Generations deluxes (like jeez, Scoop is a small dude), but the dinobots don't really feel any smaller to me.

sorry for the poo poo image quality, but I painted some tiny details on my Crosshairs to make him pop more. There's the goggles, some silver on his shoulders and forearm detailing (which are different, I didn't notice until I painted it) and two lines on his abdomen. Also the corvette insignia but you can't see that here.

Blackheart fucked around with this message at 00:21 on May 18, 2014

EthanSteele
Nov 18, 2007

I can hear you

Keldroc posted:

Normally I don't care much about size, but A) Dinosaurs should be big and B) These things are $15.

$34 over here, hell yeah thanks Hasbro.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

I know it's silly to expect retail figures to be painted this well but shiiit, I wish Galvatron was at least bit closer to this:

(image is a link)

Xenomrph
Dec 9, 2005

AvP Nerd/Fanboy/Shill

I hit up two TRUs, two Walmarts, and a Kmart and came away empty handed, reminding me why I hate "the hunt".

Oh well, I was only looking for wave 2 stuff and it's real early in the game, do it's not a big deal.

I am looking forward to getting:
Deluxe Lockdown
Chromed-out Optimus/Grimlock 2 pack
Deluxe Drift
Voyager Hound

Based on some of the other mystery cars seen on set there's still likely a ton of movie toys yet to be announced, right? Like the rally car, the multicolored Chevy Traxs, Stinger, etc.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

DoctorWhat posted:

I've told you guys that, when asked on Twitter if the "Pirates Vs. Knights" thing was a jab at third-party companies, the @BotCon account got really cloying and sarcastic - right? I'm sure I've mentioned this.

Well that would explain why the pirate ones look so much better than the knight ones. :smugspike:

That's a nice Galvatron custom. Really Hasbro could have done that figure some huge favors simply by not using that "unpainted plastic" grey and going for something more silverish.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Keldroc posted:

Those are some tiny-rear end Dinobots, Hasbro. Even DotM Deluxe Ratchet is a full head taller than Scorn and Slug in robot mode. They're worthwhile figures, especially Scorn, but drat these are small Deluxes.

There's a bunch of variables in the size classes I've noticed. Because Generations has deluxes that range from large to small as well as legends class. Swerve and Cosmos are much larger than the other two waves. And with the deluxes Orion Pax could be a large scout and is almost the same size as GDO Brawl.

The Voyagers have been the only class where everyone has been around the same height.

But the Walmart beast War bots really show how much the size classes have shrunk. Compare Slug to the Walmart Slug, walmart slug is much more bulkier. While terrosaur(which was a basic) is around the same height as a deluxe now.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

:smug::smug::xd:
http://youtu.be/sbE4nriAP7w
Newest Metal Gear game allows you to play music over your support helicopters PA system. Nothing cooler than a helicopter raining bullets down while blasting... THE TOUCH.

Why cookie Rocket
Dec 2, 2003

Lemme tell ya 'bout your blood bamboo kid.
It ain't Coca-Cola, it's rice.

Veg posted:

http://youtu.be/sbE4nriAP7w
Newest Metal Gear game allows you to play music over your support helicopters PA system. Nothing cooler than a helicopter raining bullets down while blasting... THE TOUCH.

The touch is great but "Instruments of Destruction" is my current go-to TFTM reference for video game silliness. It's pretty underrated.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

How "Dare" you forget the best song in the whole film?

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy
I Hunger for cheesy references so bad Nothing's Gonna Stand In My Way. Not Tonight.

The Goon
Sep 11, 2001

Veg posted:

If it was this years one, you suck.

It was this year's and yes I suck. But something about that Skorponok made my Warden demand that I buy it.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

The Goon posted:

It was this year's and yes I suck. But something about that Skorponok made my Warden demand that I buy it.

Yeah that Scorp is beautiful. I have the Energon and Cybertron versions of that mold on display. Its a great mold.

Keldroc
Apr 19, 2004

I like the new head they did for the Spike mold, but I cannot brook the Energon repaint. I will take the fact they were allowed to use G1 Scorponok as a positive sign for a possible Titan Class Trypticon, though, so it's all good.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

With all the dinobot (and Godzilla as well) craze I wouldn't be surprised if they actually did Trypticon for the next Titan, honestly.

Veg
Oct 13, 2008

Veg posted:

Everybody should read Last Stand of the Wreckers then the MTMTE trades. They're so good. :swoon:

Hopefully by the end of this thread we'll have a Swerve toy.

Well hey there, it didnt even take a year.

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

:siren: :siren: :siren:
AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE
I bought Dispensor off some guy on ebay for 30 bucks. I wonder if that mold is still as terrible as it was on Payload (I have Payload too).

CAPT. Rainbowbeard
Apr 5, 2012

My incredible goodposting transcends time and space but still it cannot transform the xbone into a good console.
Lipstick Apathy

Veg posted:

Well hey there, it didnt even take a year.

Swerve, or better yet, Tailgate should be the new "kid friendly" character. Let Bumblebee take a nap.

The MSJ
May 17, 2010

Today I went to TRU and bought a Scorn and an Evasion Mode Optimus. They are pretty great, but Optimus can be really difficult to transform into truck mode. I love how compact his vehicle mode is, though. Since his shotgun is going to DOTM Megatron, I tried to give Prime the weapons of Recon Ironhide. Surprisingly only the scoped rifle and the big knife fits his fists.

Scorn is just too cool, especially after I discover that you can make his dinosaur head into a robot mode pincer hand.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

CAPT. Rainbowbeard posted:

Swerve, or better yet, Tailgate should be the new "kid friendly" character. Let Bumblebee take a nap.
I really wish they'd do that. Give Bumblebee a character arc like in the comics, just without taking the bus at the end, and then bring up some plucky new guys. I guess technically they sort of did that in BH and maybe it'll continue in the sequels but...

And not another loving Smokescreen. I liked him in BH but they really should have added someone kid friendly to go with it to round out the line up.

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

In a lot of ways, Smokescreen was a better Bumblebee than Bumblebee himself in BH.

Anora
Feb 16, 2014

I fuckin suck!🪠

Blackheart posted:

In a lot of ways, Smokescreen was a better Bumblebee than Bumblebee himself in BH.

Amazing what can happen when a character can talk.

Hemingway To Go!
Nov 10, 2008

im stupider then dog shit, i dont give a shit, and i dont give a fuck, and i will never shut the fuck up, and i'll always Respect my enemys.
- ernest hemingway
I still contend that Bee was a good character, but he could have been loving fantastic if he spoke. He was one of the best parts of the final movie.

Bee showed a lot of character being crazy and courageous and pulling poo poo the rest of the cast wouldn't even consider, like surfing on Skyquake, riding a pickup truck when he couldn't transform, going into Megatrons brain, pulling a weeping angels on Airachnid, he was pretty cool. He was not a Good Child-Appeal Character, though. But I don't like child appeal characters anyway.

Still there's only character development a mute character can have, and that was VERY bad for a main selling point character like bee, especially for a long-form series instead of a mascot character for the movie.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine
I don't think Swerve as a kid friendly character would work, part of swerve's charm is that he's basically without morals or social graces. Swerve is the uncle that takes you to vegas for your 16th birthday and gives you a case of beer and a fake ID.

I think John Goodman Hound being the kid friendly character would be the better idea. Because who doesn't like a fat green santa who has a shitload of guns?

That and it could easily be worked into twhatever G1-verse that exists, just like how you can have G1 Megatron and beast Wars Megatron be named Megatron. You can have two robots from an alien planet who are millions of years old be named after a domesticated dog breed family from earth that only appeared within the last few thousand years.

Also check your family dollar/dollar stores/Big Lots/whatever cheap seedy hellhole of incredible value. There's new Dollar Store legends guys that are using the classics molds. So far people have just found a new bumblebee but there will probably be more. Just like how the Generations Minicon teams were released months apart for each other and pretty much nobody got the third members for the autobot and decepticon team because nobody knew they existed. And Airlift and Iron Claw were both one of the better minicon repaints right next to the Warpath Minicon and the Minicon painted to look like the Cobra Rattler from GI Joe.

The Taint Reaper fucked around with this message at 00:06 on May 19, 2014

Ka0
Sep 16, 2002

AS A PROUD GAMERGATER THE ONLY THING I HATE MORE THAN WOMEN ARE GAYS AND TRANS PEOPLE

Blackheart posted:

That's because BH Smokescreen was actually Armada Hotshot in a costume.

The Taint Reaper
Sep 4, 2012

by Shine

Ka0 posted:

That's because BH Smokescreen was actually Armada Hotshot in a costume.

Not true he did not have substance abuse issues.

Spiderdrake
May 12, 2001

That isn't Swerve's appeal at all.

Rita Repulsa posted:

I still contend that Bee was a good character, but he could have been loving fantastic if he spoke. He was one of the best parts of the final movie.
Yeah, his arc was really good and I quite liked him. I didn't have trouble with the lack of talking, per se, given I never had any difficult figuring out what he was saying or emoted but the fact he can communicate but not to the audience was just tacky and over done. I get they wanted to transition from the movies, but that is something they could have fixed and could have written some great episodes about.

I still can not get over the fact Knock Out isn't in IDW yet. What the gently caress IDW, first you murder Bulkhead then refuse to use the best character from prime!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ForeverSmug
Oct 9, 2012

To paraphrase RLM, Smokescreen and Bumblebee should have been combined into one character. Named Bumblebee.