Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Greataxes really suck, especially the bandito one because its effective range is elbow-length.

Funny invasion moment: my friend and I were in Black Gulch heading towards the Rotten when we got invaded. We just-so-happened to be in Lucatiel's little tunnel where you can see over the whole of the area, with only one entrance. The invader didn't know about it, so he ran around whipping statues and trying to find the way up while getting poisoned.

Then he ran past one of the big worms. Even though it couldn't hurt him as an invader, it could physically displace him. It rocketed out of its hidey-hole and launched him at lightning speed across to the far side of the gulch... straight down. Invader banished.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Vermain posted:

My guess is that it's simply not as impactful because of the introduction of extra healing. In DS1, you could make an argument for heavier armor because healing was restricted to Estus and a few miracles, but regular enemy hits can be sopped up quite easily with Lifegems.

that could very well be the case, especially since lifegems are incredibly cheap so it's pretty easy to have a ton on you at all times

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Colapops posted:

Greataxes really suck, especially the bandito one because its effective range is elbow-length.

I'm talking about the normal one you get in the Wharf. The bandit greataxe is terrible in comparison since it trades the fast moveset for the slow one for maybe 50 extra damage when the worse scaling is taken into account.

garth ferengi
Dec 20, 2009

Flytrap posted:

Seriously, in the console thread people were pointing out that DSII is pretty much a scene for scene remake of one of the Kings Field games.

Do you remember which one and were there any pictures? I played 2 and 3 and a bit of 4 and I don't remember a whole lot from them, but it'd be neat to see how similar a lot of their areas are.

Flytrap
Apr 30, 2013

garth ferengi posted:

Do you remember which one and were there any pictures? I played 2 and 3 and a bit of 4 and I don't remember a whole lot from them, but it'd be neat to see how similar a lot of their areas are.

Sadly, I can't, I just remember people discussing how eerily similar Dranglic onwards was to one of the games, including something having to do with some queen of the abyss whom you met in a giant black castle where it rains eternally, and you needed to get a kings ring from a sunken shrine or something. I don't really remember the details, but I'm wiling to trust the memory of anyone neurotic enough to actually finish any of those old games.

Flytrap fucked around with this message at 04:06 on May 18, 2014

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

I started a new character for kicks and I'm playing a Cleric (that mace loving tears through the early game, holy poo poo) named Augustus. Someone please tell me the fanciest and/or most royal looking armor that I can get pretty early on. The standard robes are fancy, but they are nowhere near fancy enough.

Vanderdeath
Oct 1, 2005

I will confess,
I love this cultured hell that tests my youth.

FROM loves doing stuff like that. Mytha the Baleful Queen is based off of the Widda Queen. The Manserpents from DS1 were based off of the Widda themselves. Seath has been a recurring character nearly as much as the MLGS, etc., etc. It really isn't fair to call it pandering since they've been doing it for as long as they've been a company.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Flytrap posted:

Man, you know what? gently caress all this fancy fast dodging bullshit, it's time to see how far a poo poo-ton of health, a big weapon, and a load of armor can take me. Fat-rolling still has frames and I aim to see how many!

Fatroll does nothing to roll iframes; you have as many as your Agi allows.

Colapops posted:

That's not even remotely true. One class of them (Bandit's Greataxe, Lion warrior axe, and similar) are pretty terrible, but the other class (Gyrm Axe, Gyrm Greataxe, Drakekeeper's Greataxe, among others) is very good. And the Bandit's Greataxe is actually very good as powerstancing with it gives the straight sword powerstance and it has low weight and stat req (for a greataxe).

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Flytrap posted:

Man, you know what? gently caress all this fancy fast dodging bullshit, it's time to see how far a poo poo-ton of health, a big weapon, and a load of armor can take me.

You'll probably take like two more hits than you could if you were just plain naked with the detriment of being way slower. It is a grim reality.

Kiggles
Dec 30, 2007

Cardboard Box posted:

I dunno, it's kinda always been that way in these games to a degree, but I've noticed it in this one more than others.

Considering how good dodging is, I consider this a problem. The games always support "fashion souls" by virtue of all players being able to fall back on dodging, but heavier armor impose penalties without really providing any significant benefit to offset them. It's pretty loving simple to accomplish, too, but both physical and element defense are completely silly.

50 physical Def reduces incoming physical damage by 10 points. Full havels at about SL150 reduces in coming damage by about 250. That works for PvP. Not so much for NG+.

100 element def reduces incoming element damage by 10%. Its linear. You are literally immune at 1000 in a particular element defense.

Its all just dumb, and NG+ NPC damage isn't balanced around it. It's balanced around you being able to roll to avoid everything. It "works" for PvP, however, I still do not feel it is ideal. Not by a mile.

Internet Kraken
Apr 24, 2010

slightly amused

Vanderdeath posted:

FROM loves doing stuff like that. Mytha the Baleful Queen is based off of the Widda Queen. The Manserpents from DS1 were based off of the Widda themselves. Seath has been a recurring character nearly as much as the MLGS, etc., etc. It really isn't fair to call it pandering since they've been doing it for as long as they've been a company.

While I don't doubt that its possible, Mytha could easily just be based off Medusa since snake lady is a pretty common design. I still don't get why her head fell off though.

Also its Baneful Queen, not Baleful. Basically the same thing but up until today I had been reading it as Baleful as well for some reason.

VVV I think rather than giving a huge amount of defense, heavier armour sets should have more added bonuses. The turtle set blocking backstabs is actually useful, or rather would be if the Jester's set didn't exist. On the other hand, I'm glad armour is mostly irrelevant since it means I can wear whatever the gently caress I want and have it work.

Internet Kraken fucked around with this message at 04:28 on May 18, 2014

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Right, and you shouldn't be able to tank (whether for PVP or PVE) imo. Because tanking does not require any actual effort, it's just you standing there wailing on the attack button.

As for fashion souls, so what if heavy armor gives some small penalties? It's not even remotely a big deal in the long run, especially since equip load is so generous in this compared to Dark Souls (or even Demon's).

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

Is the S scaling you get from infusing the Moonlight Greatsword with magic worth the flat damage hit it takes over regular? Or is the amount of int you'd need to crank in order to match/surpass the damage loss too much to be worth it?

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

Is the S scaling you get from infusing the Moonlight Greatsword with magic worth the flat damage hit it takes over regular? Or is the amount of int you'd need to crank in order to match/surpass the damage loss too much to be worth it?

With 50 Int yes.

laplace
Oct 9, 2012

kcab dneb smra ym semitemos tub ,reh wonk I ekil leef I

garth ferengi posted:

I was the person who was saying this, and yes, both Dark Souls games are pretty much a scene for scene remake of KF4. I'm currently replaying KF4 so I can grab screenshots and do a scene for scene comparison, but here is a brief summary:

Spoilers in case:

Mytha and the Earthen Peak: Widda Palace in KF4, a large mine that hit poison (Sen's Fortress and the Snakemen are just the Widdas as well)
Mummy Enemies and Desert Sorceresses: Widda Palace NPCs from KF4
Abyss Queen Nashandra: The Dark One from KF4
New Londo: The Sunken City, down to 4 human kings who fell to the abyss/dark when they attempted to control it for power
The Abyss: The Dark from KF4, literally down to its backstory.
Pharros/The Doors of Pharros: Zastari the Engineer from KF4
Drangleic Castle: The Ancient City
The King's Door/ King's Ring: The Ring of Wisdom/King's Door from KF4
Vendrick: The King of the Ancient City, KF4 (Went insane after he realized his wife was attempting to use the Dark)
Seath: Seath from all of the KF games, obviously. Kalameet and the Dead Dragon from the memory could also tentatively be the links to Guyra from the KF series.
Moonlight Greatsword: Even more than just a reference, it's lore is from KF (Bestowed upon man by the Lawful dragon Seath)
Benhart: Guy with the Lawful Blade (pre-moonlight greatsword moonlight greatsword) from KF4
Old Iron Keep Bonfire 3: Area linking the Ancient City and the Hub Palace, with the same exact layout w/ wall spikes and fire breathing dragon statues.
Undead Crypt: Catacombs, Even down to the "respawning skeletons ring bells that summon more skeletons" mechanic

There's even more than that honestly but that's all I can really think of off the top of my head.

nftyw
Dec 27, 2006

It is a game... where you will put your life on the line.
Lipstick Apathy
The main complaint I have in terms of overused weapons is the Washing Pole. I see that weapon basically 95% of the time at Iron Keep.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Why do bloodbros invade belltowers to just kill bell cops? We've got the same objective, dude.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
Just dodge a couple of swings near objects and a Katana's wielder is now holding a broken weapon!

dis astranagant
Dec 14, 2006

Do the covenent shops ever restock with spells?

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!

Doctor Zaius posted:

Why do bloodbros invade belltowers to just kill bell cops? We've got the same objective, dude.

Blood Bros want blood, bells don't bleed but you do.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Doctor Zaius posted:

They don't, they're there to kill everyone. everyone

:unsmigghh:

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
I've had bloodbros that literally protect the host so they can kill bellbros.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Sounds pretty reasonable to me.

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

nftyw posted:

The main complaint I have in terms of overused weapons is the Washing Pole. I see that weapon basically 95% of the time at Iron Keep.
I don't think I saw any when I was doing dragon duels at the keep. I tried it out in PvE and wasn't really impressed by the damage or speed, although it probably didn't help that this was on a guy with 20 str/25 dex fighting lion tribe guys in NG+.

I know in my head that the Blue Flame/Disc Chime combo is underpowered and bad, but man does it feel so right.

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

If a bellbro kills a host, does the bloodbro also get credit for it?

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
I was unaware that "Brotherhood of Blood" was the new name for the Warriors of Sunlight, but ok.

Colapops
Nov 21, 2007

Brotherhood of Blood member protects the host 'cause the host = infinite Bellbro magnet.

Also, you know how the Looking Glass Knight summons players on NG+? My friend and I just got a cheater summoned into the fight :(

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

Is there anything to be done about how loving quickly weapons degrade in the PC version? It feels like a really useless annoyance because almost half the weapons I have either end up smacking into a wall or sliding through the ground at some point in their animation. Also, everyone claims dodging to be the be all and end all in dark souls 2 but I really liked being able to shield up in dark souls 1 and time hits rather than having to avoid every single strike, however I haven't pumped ADP and keep my equip load just under 70. Am I missing something with regards to dodging?

Meme Poker Party
Sep 1, 2006

by Azathoth

Doctor Zaius posted:

I was unaware that "Brotherhood of Blood" was the new name for the Warriors of Sunlight, but ok.

What we're trying to tell you is that there is a concept known as "fun" that isn't always directly correlated to ingame rewards. I understand that this is a difficult concept for many gamers to comprehend.

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

If a bellbro kills a host, does the bloodbro also get credit for it?

Yes and no. From the perspective of a successful invasion, yes, because the invasion is successful if the host dies for any reason. From the perspective of the covenant it's irrelevant because killing hosts doesn't contribute to blood covenant ranking :from:

Meme Poker Party fucked around with this message at 05:08 on May 18, 2014

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNR7EkyPMFM

hahaha, the similarities are loving huge.

Doctor Zaius
Jul 30, 2010

I say.
Yes, and I would like to have my fun without a red rear end in a top hat orbiting the guy I'm actually trying to fight.

Regy Rusty
Apr 26, 2010

Pump ADP. Also weapon degradation isn't a big deal since it resets at bonfires and on death. All it really does is encourage you to have at least one extra weapon on hand to switch to in the rare situation where your main one goes at risk (has happened to me twice so far).

Just my early game impressions anyway. If you don't want to use 2 weapons there's also repair powder.

E: All rational beings are united in hatred of bellbros.

VDay
Jul 2, 2003

I'm Pacman Jones!

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNR7EkyPMFM

hahaha, the similarities are loving huge.
This actually physically hurts to watch.

Doctor Zaius posted:

Yes, and I would like to have my fun without a red rear end in a top hat orbiting the guy I'm actually trying to fight.
So just pretend that it's a guy that the dude you're invading summoned to help him and kill them both? You realize you're complaining about some dude invading your invasion and making it a 2vs1 fight while you're trying to invade someone in a covenant whose gimmick is that you get to fight people with a 2vs1 advantage right?

If you just want to PvP there are other options.

Bob NewSCART
Feb 1, 2012

Outstanding afternoon. "I've often said there's nothing better for the inside of a man than the outside of a horse."

What's the best way to farm souls in the early game? I wanna get enough levels for another attunement slot, at least 20 dex/str for drangelic sword and shield, enough equipload to wear drangelic set without fat roll. What I'm saying is I need a bunch of souls. I have access to the first bonfire of no mans, huntsmans, and lost bastille as well as all of forest and heide.

I noticed that co oping for bosses does not give a lot of souls. At least for dragonrider and pursuer.

Zedsdeadbaby
Jun 14, 2008

You have been called out, in the ways of old.

VDay posted:

This actually physically hurts to watch.

It is awfully clunky and menu-heavy. There's zero shortcuts or hotbuttons at all. 2000-era games design :allears:
I'm not sure why the gameplay seems so clunky when there were games like Timesplitters and even Half Life on the system as well that proved the system could do FPS gameplay quickly and responsively.

Well that looks awfully familiar

Zedsdeadbaby fucked around with this message at 05:16 on May 18, 2014

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

Bob NewSCART posted:

What's the best way to farm souls in the early game? I wanna get enough levels for another attunement slot, at least 20 dex/str for drangelic sword and shield, enough equipload to wear drangelic set without fat roll. What I'm saying is I need a bunch of souls. I have access to the first bonfire of no mans, huntsmans, and lost bastille as well as all of forest and heide.

I noticed that co oping for bosses does not give a lot of souls. At least for dragonrider and pursuer.

Forgo the armor for now and go murder some new bosses.

Gazaar
Mar 23, 2005

.txt

Bob NewSCART posted:

Use ascetics at heides and kill the dragonrider a few times at NG+ and NG++. If you aren't terrible this shouldn't be super hard, he's the ultimate chump. But probably just continue on your way down one of the branches you have open.

Azuth0667
Sep 20, 2011

By the word of Zoroaster, no business decision is poor when it involves Ahura Mazda.

Tallgeese posted:

Vortex is slow slow slow.

Does anyone know which enemies have unique magic?

I know Navlaan does, who else has an NPC spell? Human enemies only.

I'm pretty sure that one human in the tower before the first clearing at the dragon shrine has a unique spell. That exploding light thing that hurts a lot and knocks you about.

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Zedsdeadbaby posted:

It is awfully clunky and menu-heavy. There's zero shortcuts or hotbuttons at all. 2000-era games design :allears:
I'm not sure why the gameplay seems so clunky when there were games like Timesplitters and even Half Life on the system as well that proved the system could do FPS gameplay quickly and responsively.

It's clunky more as a design choice, I believe. It's the exact same style of gameplay in the original King's Field (like 1993) and is also used in later games like Shadow Tower Abyss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PublicOpinion
Oct 21, 2010

Her style is new but the face is the same as it was so long ago...

Bob NewSCART posted:

If you spend a certain amount with Melentia (10,000?) she'll give you the Silver Serpent Ring +1, which is 20% more souls.