Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
EightBit
Jan 7, 2006
I spent money on this line of text just to make the "Stupid Newbie" go away.
So, do rovers help you collect science on bodies or are they just a neat thing to play with?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Steelion
Aug 2, 2009
Theoretically, you could use them to drive to nearby biomes and get more science that way. In practice, it's faster to launch more rockets to each biome and get the science that way.

Away all Goats
Jul 5, 2005

Goose's rebellion

Yeah it'd be neat if Rovers could be given orders to travel somewhere, while you watch from the space center. That way you can actually try to accomplish multiple science gatherings with a rover in a reasonable amount of time.

The Meat Dimension
Mar 29, 2010

Gravy Boat 2k
Yeah, especially if some course had to be plotted to avoid gigantic craters or mountain ranges.

I'd rove the gently caress out of that planet :allears:

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

I downloaded a bunch of plane related mods and Skillful Combat. I've been making planes and discounted knockoffs of military planes.

Like the A-10!

So majestic.

Until I fly too fast and fire the cannons into myself, then it just looks like my attempts at playing DCS.

RIP Joevin, the only Kerbal to get shot down by himself.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
If there was a rover science mod that added"focused" biomes with concentrated areas that required slow science labs work high science reward, I'd use it.

OwlFancier
Aug 22, 2013

BillyJoeBob posted:

I downloaded a bunch of plane related mods and Skillful Combat. I've been making planes and discounted knockoffs of military planes.

Like the A-10!

So majestic.

Until I fly too fast and fire the cannons into myself, then it just looks like my attempts at playing DCS.

RIP Joevin, the only Kerbal to get shot down by himself.

Not, however, the only recorded incidence of that occuring:

http://www.check-six.com/Crash_Sites/Tiger138260

oddium
Feb 21, 2006

end of the 4.5 tatami age

Yaaay the first steps in laying down my fledgling modular Mun base are done:

Now to add the communications array

As if rovers on the Mun aren't bad enough already, try driving these insanely tall things around

Lord Yod
Jul 22, 2009

I somehow managed to build a lander that didn't know which way was up. Coming in for a landing on Minmus I discovered that no matter what button I pushed I couldn't get this thing to rotate either up or down on the navball. No pitch, only yaw and roll. This was a somewhat disconcerting thing to have happen at 2km up. I tried fiddling with the SAS, RCS, etc controls and managed to finally get the thing on the ground, but I wouldn't exactly call it stable.

Thing kept rolling like it had a mind of its own!

Zhent
Oct 18, 2011

The difference between gods and daemons largely depends upon where one is standing at the time.
Check and see if you held ALT down at some point and set the trim to be way to the left / right. That has happened to me on occasion and the whole ship just starts spinning randomly.

Ratzap
Jun 9, 2012

Let no pie go wasted
Soiled Meat

Geirskogul posted:

If there was a rover science mod that added"focused" biomes with concentrated areas that required slow science labs work high science reward, I'd use it.

There's a mod where you drive around and sniff out science to investigate. That probably goes a way toward what you're on about.

Chuck Tanner
Nov 10, 2012

by Lowtax

Lord Yod posted:

I somehow managed to build a lander that didn't know which way was up. Coming in for a landing on Minmus I discovered that no matter what button I pushed I couldn't get this thing to rotate either up or down on the navball. No pitch, only yaw and roll. This was a somewhat disconcerting thing to have happen at 2km up. I tried fiddling with the SAS, RCS, etc controls and managed to finally get the thing on the ground, but I wouldn't exactly call it stable.

Thing kept rolling like it had a mind of its own!

Turn RCS and SAS off.

edit: Oops I somehow missed where you said you tried that.

Dred_furst
Nov 19, 2007

"Hey look, I'm flying a giant dong"
Been playing a lot with Near Future Propulsion. It adds some really cool electric propulsion systems that I have been using to send probes out to various planets. I haven't yet unlocked the tiny reactor or the giant reactor, or the giant solar panels, so I have been (ab)using the 1.25m reactor to power my rockets. Here's some screenshots of it in action:

My first argon probe, this went and mapped Duna + Ike

My first nuclear probe, using the solar panels to keep the probe alive until it reaches it's destination, so I can then re-power up the reactor before the main burn.

A probe I made on the way to gilly to map it,

A much larger probe off to visit moho. Just unlocked the small magnetoplasmodynamic thruster.

TomR
Apr 1, 2003
I both own and operate a pirate ship.
I just put a pretty big fuel depot in orbit. This was a single stage, I just ditched the engines because I didn't need them anymore.

Germstore
Oct 17, 2012

A Serious Candidate For a Serious Time
Wanna see that launcher.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
Any recommendations for how I can attach landing struts to this thing? I have had decent success with this 1950s style VTOL navy rocket, but when I swapped out the (much shorter) liquid fuel engine with the taller nuclear engine, my struts were no longer long enough to reach the ground. I tried attaching them lower and they always explode off with the last separation state, I think they are attaching to the de-coupler instead of the engine proper.

If there were extra long landing struts I'd use them, but the 3 types I see in game are all about the same length.

Instant Sunrise
Apr 12, 2007

The manger babies don't have feelings. You said it yourself.

Malcolm posted:

Any recommendations for how I can attach landing struts to this thing? I have had decent success with this 1950s style VTOL navy rocket, but when I swapped out the (much shorter) liquid fuel engine with the taller nuclear engine, my struts were no longer long enough to reach the ground. I tried attaching them lower and they always explode off with the last separation state, I think they are attaching to the de-coupler instead of the engine proper.

If there were extra long landing struts I'd use them, but the 3 types I see in game are all about the same length.

put girders around your engine and mount the landing legs on the girders

Grondoth
Feb 18, 2011
So does KMP work?

pun pundit
Nov 11, 2008

I feel the same way about the company bearing the same name.

Instant Sunrise posted:

put girders around your engine and mount the landing legs on the girders

Then enjoy as your craft explodes because the fairings for your nuclear engine crash into the girders.

Nuclear engines are unfortunately hard to use on landers, especially in an inline configuration.

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Malcolm posted:

Change the fuel tank above the nerva to a small fuel one - 45 or 90 liquidfuel. Add 3/4 radial fuel tanks (180 liquidfuel is a good one) to this fuel tank and attach fuel lines to pump fuel to the central tank. Add landing legs to the radial tanks.

code:

legend:
= fuel tank
X nuclear rocket
| landing legs
/

side view

===
 =X=
|=X=|
| X |
/ X \

BillyJoeBob
Feb 7, 2010

Anal-retentive, overly loquacious weapons scientist.

I can't stop building planes, they aren't even space planes but I keep building planes!

I built a new and improved two seater Chunderbolt.

I also built this kinda freaky looking nuclear ramjet drone.

It had a few accidents during testing.

OAquinas
Jan 27, 2008

Biden has sat immobile on the Iron Throne of America. He is the Master of Malarkey by the will of the gods, and master of a million votes by the might of his inexhaustible calamari.

pun pundit posted:

Then enjoy as your craft explodes because the fairings for your nuclear engine crash into the girders.

Nuclear engines are unfortunately hard to use on landers, especially in an inline configuration.

If he stages at zero throttle, exits to the space center, then refocuses the fairings will be gone. I had the exact same situation with my minmus biome hopper--created a girder cage and put the legs on them. It's....not exactly stable (it's a very tall rocket with a small spread on the legs) but as long as you come in gently and not on a slope things work out fine.

haveblue
Aug 15, 2005

Toilet Rascal

Germstore posted:

Wanna see that launcher.

If you don't care about putting *full* tanks into orbit you need far less power. A fuel depot is it's own launcher, you can spend its first load on launching it and send the refill up in smaller batches later.

Geemer
Nov 4, 2010

I've managed to get my Eve Returner into LKO without messing up its staging and am now abusing the magic Claw to refuel it by slamming my Asteroid Relocator into it. Even though it has a proper docking port for just that task. I just hope that it'll hold up on Eve when it finally gets there.

Sitting pretty on the launchpad. One lander can and two external command seats to get the three lucky Kerbals back from Eve's clutches, hopefully. Test flights have at least proven to be spectacular because it dumps all extraneous parts upon liftoff, causing a celebratory series of explosions. :jeb:

No parachutes on this shot because it was from an earlier phase of development, when I was still checking if the ladders lined up correctly and Kerbals could board command seats from the top of the ladder.

Full stats and dry mass.
I couldn't get it to orbit without dropping stages or attaching more junk, so I decided to just launch the dry ship by putting some docking port-attached giant tanks and engine clusters under it.

Attaching them by docking port meant that upon decoupling the node, the fairing slides down gracefully with the tank and thus doesn't blow up my forest of landing legs.
Hilariously I forgot to set the dV stats window back to Kerbin so the TWR was way high. In the end it made it to orbit with three of the large tanks still attached and some fuel to spare. I'll use the large tanks as interplanetary stage and then do some topping off in Eve orbit.

I really hope the denser atmosphere of Eve means the parachutes will put it down gently, though.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Geemer posted:

Attaching them by docking port meant that upon decoupling the node, the fairing slides down gracefully with the tank and thus doesn't blow up my forest of landing legs.
Hilariously I forgot to set the dV stats window back to Kerbin so the TWR was way high. In the end it made it to orbit with three of the large tanks still attached and some fuel to spare. I'll use the large tanks as interplanetary stage and then do some topping off in Eve orbit.

I really hope the denser atmosphere of Eve means the parachutes will put it down gently, though.

That is crazy. You can successfully get that entire thing into orbit in one go? Wow, I'm impressed. Although I have to ask, if it wouldn't be easier to just send it up in parts, and assemble it in orbit. I'm still working on getting the kinks out of reliable interplanetary travel to places other than Duna though, so please don't take that as a criticism, I'm far from anything resembling an expert on this. (I find new things in this game pretty much every day that reinforces that too...haha)

:edit:

Ok, here's another question. It's been mentioned that it's extremely rare for Kerbin to actually capture an asteroid, which has already happened. Well, I finished getting my HKO Refuelling Station into orbit, and noticed a couple of asteroids were within Kerbin's SOI. One of which was on it's way out, the other....well...here.

It's showing no Peri in the tracking station, so I'm assuming that it's going to hit? Judging by it's line of travel, it SHOULD have a Peri though, even if it is extremely close (at least within 100K, as that's what my LKO station's orbit is, and it goes inside that.). So my question is....yeah, is it a somewhat common thing to have asteroids actually hit Kerbin naturally like this? Or is this just turning out to be the career mode from hell.

BMS fucked around with this message at 04:49 on May 18, 2014

Karma Comedian
Feb 2, 2012

What's the best strategy for actually moving asteroids? I can rendezvous and slow them into trapped orbits but any attempt to maneuver the things usually results in my ship shattering into pieces.

BMS
Mar 11, 2009

by FactsAreUseless

Wizard of Smart posted:

What's the best strategy for actually moving asteroids? I can rendezvous and slow them into trapped orbits but any attempt to maneuver the things usually results in my ship shattering into pieces.

You're using the grabber yes? As long a you're not using an incredibly powerful rocket on there it should work. Also, make sure you "connect" the grabber with the asteroid's center of mass. (Right click the asteroid when you get close, and select "Target Center of Mass"). Do that, and it should work fine!

Also,....

BMS posted:

Ok, here's another question. It's been mentioned that it's extremely rare for Kerbin to actually capture an asteroid, which has already happened. Well, I finished getting my HKO Refuelling Station into orbit, and noticed a couple of asteroids were within Kerbin's SOI. One of which was on it's way out, the other....well...here.

It's showing no Peri in the tracking station, so I'm assuming that it's going to hit? Judging by it's line of travel, it SHOULD have a Peri though, even if it is extremely close (at least within 100K, as that's what my LKO station's orbit is, and it goes inside that.). So my question is....yeah, is it a somewhat common thing to have asteroids actually hit Kerbin naturally like this? Or is this just turning out to be the career mode from hell.

Well gently caress. It's DEFINITELY going to hit naturally. Here's it's path of travel (yellow line) when focused on Kerbin.

Now I'm torn between actually stopping it, or just letting it crash down and see what happens...haha

Sneaky Kettle
Jul 4, 2010
Just a quick note: SCANSat has been forked into an updated build and released, improving a bunch of stuff and adding toolbar support. I use this thing all the time, so I'm super jazzed about it.

Here's the link.

General_Failure
Apr 17, 2005

BMS posted:

You're using the grabber yes? As long a you're not using an incredibly powerful rocket on there it should work. Also, make sure you "connect" the grabber with the asteroid's center of mass. (Right click the asteroid when you get close, and select "Target Center of Mass"). Do that, and it should work fine!

Also,....

Well gently caress. It's DEFINITELY going to hit naturally. Here's it's path of travel (yellow line) when focused on Kerbin.

Now I'm torn between actually stopping it, or just letting it crash down and see what happens...haha

I've had a few get captured. They usually either get slinghotted away or just hit Kerbin. I did have one go into a stable orbit for a while until something happened. Perhaps the Mun flung it away.

Oh yeah, I tried KSP this morning and it loaded just fine. The mysterious nature of the game.

Zero One
Dec 30, 2004

HAIL TO THE VICTORS!

BMS posted:

Also,....

Nothing happens. If you aren't focused on the object it is just deleted like any other debris. If you are focused it will just... land.

Regrettable
Jan 5, 2010

Psawhn posted:

ISA_Mapsat has been abandoned for so long that a replacement system has been made, SCANSat:

Unless you really want to do simulated LiDAR scanning of planets for arbitrary resolutions like a super photogrammetry nerd, SCANsat is better than ISA_Mapsat in every way. Maybe one of my more favourite features is getting science points for completing scans of planets.

Cool, thank you!

Maxmaps
Oct 21, 2008

Not actually a shark.
Had a rough week but been working on a Modding agreement/ruleset over the weekend. Any suggestions, concerns and 'you should totally make this a rule' appreciated since you guys are way more up to date on modder dramas than I am.

A FESTIVE SKELETON
Oct 2, 2011

TIS THE SEASON BITCH

Maxmaps posted:

Had a rough week but been working on a Modding agreement/ruleset over the weekend. Any suggestions, concerns and 'you should totally make this a rule' appreciated since you guys are way more up to date on modder dramas than I am.

I figure as long as you have a clause saying that people can't be massive loving jack wagons, you shouldn't have to say much else. Then again, we're taking turbo-nerd modders into consideration.

Queen_Combat
Jan 15, 2011
No donation links in-game, no mods that actively interfere with other mod functionality without approval.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

Maxmaps posted:

No being a whiny bitch

Play nice with others or gently caress off to another solar system

sperging is tolerated not celebrated

Strudel Man
May 19, 2003
ROME DID NOT HAVE ROBOTS, FUCKWIT
The thing about rules like "Don't be a dick" is that the people who would understand and properly apply them don't need them in the first place.

To be actually productive, rules need to be more or less clearly delineated and objective, like Geirskogul's suggestion.

Roki B
Jul 25, 2004

Medical Industrial Complex

Biscuit Hider

Strudel Man posted:

The thing about rules like "Don't be a dick" is that the people who would understand and properly apply them don't need them in the first place.

To be actually productive, rules need to be more or less clearly delineated and objective, like Geirskogul's suggestion.

You're sperging.

SocketSeven
Dec 5, 2012
Something about you upholding the spirit of the rules, not the letter. That way you can always close the door on someone trying to play a technicality against you.

That modders will act in good faith and not produce something designed to interfere with other mods or damage performance.

That you agree to being mocked mercilessly if you as a modder threaten another modder with legal action.

Agree to mediation instead of legal action with a mediator of Squads choice; So we can mock them mercilessly and not get squad sued.

Then translate it all into Kerbish for agreeing to as well.

Avenging Dentist
Oct 1, 2005

oh my god is that a circular saw that does not go in my mouth aaaaagh

Maxmaps posted:

I think the last time this came up, I suggested the following:

• Stuff hosted on official KSP channels (forums, Spaceport/Curse) should have an OSI-approved license to allow other players to fork mods (especially important for abandoned ones). This does mean that modders can go after people for plagiarizing their work (i.e. not giving the original authors credit), but they can't go after people for a properly-attributed fork.
  • Donation links are fine, but only on the mod's page on Spaceport/Curse or in the OP of the forum thread. It should be made clear that the donation is purely-voluntary and confers no additional features.

I think that gives modders a fair amount of control (and some opportunity to make a bit of money) while still keeping players' interests in mind.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

double nine
Aug 8, 2013

Something to avoid "copyright" bitchfights when one mod incorporates ideas that another mod first created - eg if a mod adds resource gathering similar to Kethane but builds on that and/or changes specific mechanics, then the Kethane modder does not have the right and should not try to shut down that other mod.

Basically a modder might have the right to specific code (and maybe not even that?) it does not have a right to the idea behind that code.

• Locked thread