Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Moriatti
Apr 21, 2014

Because Brawl physics and the prymids were mostly lame.

Also you couldn't start out as your favorite character and the combat wasn't close enough to normal to be good, or far enough to be interesting.

EDIT: also the Brawl palette was bland to look at and you HAD to play as the standard colour and too few of the bosses were memorable Nintendo characters.

Moriatti fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 17, 2014

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!
Subspace Emissary is one of the best examples of an incredible idea given the worst possible execution. If you could just play as Nintendo characters invading other Nintendo worlds and fighting people, it would have been amazing. As it stands, Melee's single player was closer to what people actually wanted.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
I respect Sakurai for trying to add a storyline to Smash Bros. It didn't really pan out but it was kind of cool.

How Rude
Aug 13, 2012

FUCK THIS SHIT

Suspicious Cook posted:

Subspace Emissary is one of the best examples of an incredible idea given the worst possible execution. If you could just play as Nintendo characters invading other Nintendo worlds and fighting people, it would have been amazing. As it stands, Melee's single player was closer to what people actually wanted.

You are making me want a megaman-esque adventure mode where you select different Nintendo-based levels in whatever order you want until the final level.

Make it happen Nintendo it would be so cool.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

SSE was never going to have 'character arcs' or an actually meaningful story. It was just gonna be a fun, goofy little thing. If Sakurai'd made that clearer from the start, people would probably be kinder to it.

Lunatic Sledge
Jun 8, 2013

choose your own horror isekai sci-fi Souls-like urban fantasy gamer simulator adventure

or don't?

How Rude posted:

You are making me want a megaman-esque adventure mode where you select different Nintendo-based levels in whatever order you want until the final level.

Make it happen Nintendo it would be so cool.

I didn't realize how badly I wanted this until now. We have Megaman. Give me something like the robot master select screen, but instead of robot masters it's Smash Bros characters. You can lump characters of the same game in with each other; make Diddy Kong a miniboss of the Donkey Kong level, or make me fight the Mario Bros at the same time or something.

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises

Lunatic Sledge posted:

I didn't realize how badly I wanted this until now. We have Megaman. Give me something like the robot master select screen, but instead of robot masters it's Smash Bros characters. You can lump characters of the same game in with each other; make Diddy Kong a miniboss of the Donkey Kong level, or make me fight the Mario Bros at the same time or something.

And of course, the 8 bosses would be randomized each time, with some of them sharing the same stage, such as Diddy and Donkey, Mario and Luigi, Charizard and Pikachu, and Lucario and Greninja. After each one, you would GET EQUIPPED WITH a random item to use later, by tapping on the gamepad screen. This takes care of the most likely forced gamepad integration. The equivalent of the Wily stages would be the Fighting Whatever Team, Metal Mario, and then Master Hand/Crazy Hand.

Now that this has been typed out, it will never happen.

Cliff Racer
Mar 24, 2007

by Lowtax
I doubt that they will force the gamepad on us, they didn't force the Wiimote on Brawl users unless you were unfortunate enough to not own any Cube controllers (or have one of the Wii's that was built without them, but those weren't even around when Brawl was being made so its not like that is the team's fault.)

Supercar Gautier
Jun 10, 2006

Cliff Racer posted:

I doubt that they will force the gamepad on us, they didn't force the Wiimote on Brawl users unless you were unfortunate enough to not own any Cube controllers (or have one of the Wii's that was built without them, but those weren't even around when Brawl was being made so its not like that is the team's fault.)

The classic controller was also perfectly serviceable. I thought the nunchuk was odd, but it's got enough inputs and it would be fine after some acclimatization.

Fantastic Alice
Jan 23, 2012

Didn't SSE have some bit of plot not actually shown in the game itself but only revealed on the Dojo also? I imagine cutting part of the potential plot out and thus making the rest harder to get helped give it a bad rep.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

The plot of Subspace Emissary was planned by the same person as Final Fantasy VII, which had a proportionate amount of important obscurities.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

xanthan posted:

Didn't SSE have some bit of plot not actually shown in the game itself but only revealed on the Dojo also? I imagine cutting part of the potential plot out and thus making the rest harder to get helped give it a bad rep.

They cut out two early scenes, one which was the subspace enemies taking over the halbred, and another that involved why Dedede was trophy nappin in the first place.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Brawl spent a lot of money on cutscenes for Subspace Emissary. Reportedly, for SSB4, Sakurai realized this was a bad use of funds, so instead the cutscene budget is mostly going into the promotional character reveal videos.

Excels
Mar 7, 2012

Your plastic pal who's fun to be with!
The promotional videos are really great and cool.

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010

Stickers. :rolleye:

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
So, the thought just occurred to me. If we need another Metroid character, how about Mother Brain? She's about as tall as Samus, just a fair bit wider. Put her in her jar on a hoverbed, make her slow but powerful, with brain-tentacles as her A moves and lasers, those Cheerio things, and slippery tripping traps from her jar fluid as her main B moves, with firing the hoverjets on her hoverbed as her recovery. She can even turn into Mother Brainosaurus or whatever from Super Metroid as her Final Smash.

Mother Brain is probably the most iconic non-Samus character from Metroid.

EDIT: It'd also add another woman to the cast, helping Smash's huge imbalance a bit.

Patter Song fucked around with this message at 02:33 on May 18, 2014

TerminusEst13
Mar 1, 2013

You're in luck!

Patter Song
Mar 26, 2010

Hereby it is manifest that during the time men live without a common power to keep them all in awe, they are in that condition which is called war; and such a war as is of every man against every man.
Fun Shoe
Boo. I didn't mean a stage hazard.

Oh, well, guess I'll take it.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!
She's an assist trophy actually :eng101:

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

She's better than a stage hazard! She's an assist trophy!

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

Lunatic Sledge posted:

Didn't Sakurai say something about Assist Trophies playing a role in the single player? Because they would make the perfect minibosses for this idea.

TaurusTorus
Mar 27, 2010

Grab the bullshit by the horns

Ha, it even has the laser bagels.

TARDISman
Oct 28, 2011

Yeah, c'mon, the Metroid Stage Hazard is Ridley! :v:

Cuntellectual
Aug 6, 2010
When Mother Brain joins the fight.. :downs:

Blackheart
Mar 22, 2013

Moriatti posted:

EDIT: also the Brawl palette was bland to look at and you HAD to play as the standard colour and too few of the bosses were memorable Nintendo characters.

I think I've mentioned this like a million times but that boss you fight on the Halberd's deck should have been motherfucking HEAVY LOBSTER :argh:

instead of some nobody twin headed robo dude.

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

Blackheart posted:

I think I've mentioned this like a million times but that boss you fight on the Halberd's deck should have been motherfucking HEAVY LOBSTER :argh:

Man I was hopin Sakurai would of made Kracko a boss but no, I mean he even had a trophy model they coulda used!

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Blackheart posted:

I would have much rather seen this (and Sakurai can deal with "over-representing his Kirby franchise") long before I saw the penultimate boss in Mother 3 for an awful fight. Heavy Lobster's moves would have translated well into Smash and it would have been fun.

:argh:

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

Patter Song posted:

So, the thought just occurred to me. If we need another Metroid character, how about Mother Brain? She's about as tall as Samus, just a fair bit wider. Put her in her jar on a hoverbed, make her slow but powerful, with brain-tentacles as her A moves and lasers, those Cheerio things, and slippery tripping traps from her jar fluid as her main B moves, with firing the hoverjets on her hoverbed as her recovery. She can even turn into Mother Brainosaurus or whatever from Super Metroid as her Final Smash.

Mother Brain is probably the most iconic non-Samus character from Metroid.

EDIT: It'd also add another woman to the cast, helping Smash's huge imbalance a bit.

Adam Malkovich is gonna be added unironically and it's going to own.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Excels posted:

I respect Sakurai for trying to add a storyline to Smash Bros. It didn't really pan out but it was kind of cool.

It was the worst, I preferred the "stories" of the first two titles. 64 the characters were just toys a child brings to life with his imagination and plays with until he's done and leaves his room, Melee everything was a trophy and you were a collector living out your favorite fantasy battles as a Nintendo fan, because ultimately these games allow us to pit our favorite Nintendo characters against each other to solve the age-old school yard question of who could beat who in a battle. They captured what our childhood imaginations were doing for years before the series came to be. Simple but drat effective and that's all they needed to be.

gently caress SSE.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Uh, the story of SSE were basically just 'a bunch of nintendo characters exist together and all the nintendo bad guys try to do an evil thing but the good guys work together to stop them and then an evil BIGGER bad guy comes and the good guys and bad guys band together!' It was exactly the sort of story a kid would come up with while playing with toys.

And honestly, Master Hand is a pretty clear metaphor for the kid playing with the toys. Tabuu is his big brother or his dad or something.

DrPaper
Aug 29, 2011

I'd rather fight Goombas and Octorocks than the heartless.

I'd also rather the gameplay be less poo poo.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Yeah, that's a fair enough point on both counts, but I can't imagine actually being upset about SSE's existence. It is what it is.

PaletteSwappedNinja
Jun 3, 2008

One Nation, Under God.
Wasn't the original scenario for SSE really overwrought and ridiculous? Like, I remember something about a scene with characters sternly arguing about battle strategy at a bus stop or something.

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

Endorph posted:

Yeah, that's a fair enough point on both counts, but I can't imagine actually being upset about SSE's existence. It is what it is.

The amount of time they spent on that mode could have been spent on making some fun single player modes. Or a game that didn't suck.

Amppelix
Aug 6, 2010

Sire Oblivion posted:

The amount of time they spent on that mode could have been spent on making some fun single player modes. Or a game that didn't suck.

Luckily for you, this is exactly what's happening with smash 4!

sigher
Apr 22, 2008

My guiding Moonlight...

We haven't heard much on the single player have we?

Suspicious Cook
Oct 9, 2012

Onward to burgers!

DrPaper posted:

Adam Malkovich is gonna be added unironically and it's going to own.

Because he's going to be an alternate skin for Sandbag?

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon
Adam is going to be a trophy.

DoctorWhat
Nov 18, 2011

A little privacy, please?
It's only fair, seeing as he got to objectify Samus in Other M, that he get object-ified in return.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Bicyclops
Aug 27, 2004

TaurusTorus posted:

Ha, it even has the laser bagels.

They're laser Cheerios and everyone knows it! :colbert:

• Locked thread