Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

I was just going to mention Dracula's video mode. They also have a risk/reward for letting the wolves get closer, so it's a little more interesting than just blasting everything on screen.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Never drive a car when you're a fish

Niwrad posted:

Hot Shot is a really good EM table. Why would you feel dumb for picking it up?
I got married two weeks ago and live in a fourth floor walk up, haha.

Once I get it back together and working I'll have some pics.

Casnorf fucked around with this message at 19:07 on May 16, 2014

prefect
Sep 11, 2001

No one, Woodhouse.
No one.

Dead Man’s Band
I have never bumped/nudged/tilted a real-world pinball table, and I feel guilty when I do it in video games (I've recently started getting over it -- I've gotten waaay better in TPA as a result). Partly I feel guilty because it seems like cheating, and partly I feel guilty about doing it in the real world because it seems like it would add a lot of wear and tear to the machines.

People who own/maintain pinball machines: does "nudging" hurt the machines?

gypsyshred
Oct 23, 2006
Its not cheating, tons of games expect you to do it. Centaur, for example. But Im always overly careful on real tables, its not cheap to fix them.

Galler
Jan 28, 2008

Don't try to toss it across the room like that PAPA video but pushing it around a bit is part of the experience. If you weren't supposed to do it the tilt system would be much more restrictive.

King Vidiot
Feb 17, 2007

You think you can take me at Satan's Hollow? Go 'head on!
It doesn't hurt the machine really unless you're a 3-400 lb. dude putting all of your weight on it when you nudge. You could bend the legs over time, but that's about it usually unless you're just pounding and slamming on it.

A good thing to keep in mind though about real nudging is that it's a lot harder to do than in video pinball. You kind of have to stiffen up your arms and lean to either side (or forwards/backwards) to really get it to move any significant amount. Pull with your shoulders and body and not so much your arms. I guess it'd be kind of like leaning on a motorcycle, since they're similar sizes and weights.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Casnorf posted:

I got married two weeks ago and live in a fourth floor walk up, haha.

Once I get it back together and working I'll have some pics.

You will want to buy an appliance dolly. I carried one pin up (with the legs on) up 3 flights in my apartment. Never again.

DevCore
Jul 16, 2003

Schooled by Satan

Slap shots are also a good physical technique that save your rear end a lot.
One of the Twilight Zones at a bar here is rested on metal feet with silicon pads which all stands on a polished concrete floor. Seeing that machine slide a foot to the left or right is pretty common and if you're good, will only net you a single danger.

Tony Phillips
Feb 9, 2006
Does the Junkyard version of the AFM video mode give you a smart bomb? Didn't seem to for me.

JohnnySmitch
Oct 20, 2004

Don't touch me there - Noone has that right.

802.11weed posted:

Hot drat those are neat. How big are they? I can totally see myself buying one to put on my desk.

They vary in size a lot, and the biggest one is only about 5" tall (a little under 5" long front to back):

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!
Don't you think you should put more thought into your battleplan?!

So I'm at Pin-a-Go-Go. Its rather nice.

Got a question for pin gurus; is there something special about Gottlieb's Spirit? For some reason there are 5 of them lined up here.

I'm also taking pictures with my camera, hopefully they turn out better than the PPM set did.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 22:54 on May 16, 2014

Luigi Thirty
Apr 30, 2006

Emergency confection port.

prefect posted:

I have never bumped/nudged/tilted a real-world pinball table, and I feel guilty when I do it in video games (I've recently started getting over it -- I've gotten waaay better in TPA as a result). Partly I feel guilty because it seems like cheating, and partly I feel guilty about doing it in the real world because it seems like it would add a lot of wear and tear to the machines.

People who own/maintain pinball machines: does "nudging" hurt the machines?

No way, they expect you to shove the machine around while you're playing it. That's why you get two warnings before a tilt on most tables. Slam tilts and bang backs are what they don't like because they can damage switches and other parts.

802.11weed
May 9, 2007

no
A maintained pinball machine is pretty drat sturdy. Unless you lift things for a living you'll be fine, as long as the tilt mechanism works. I'm not too gentle with my own machines but when I'm playing someone else's, I go easy. Some people take the tilts off of their machines, too. I wouldn't dare nudge on old woodrails etc either.

roffels
Jul 27, 2004

Yo Taxi!

Galaga Galaxian posted:

So I'm at Pin-a-Go-Go. Its rather nice.

Got a question for pin gurus; is there something special about Gottlieb's Spirit? For some reason there are 5 of them lined up here.

I'm also taking pictures with my camera, hopefully they turn out better than the PPM set did.

It's incredibly rare. Not sure why that guy brought along 5 (he was posting on pinside about it) but they're beautiful looking machines. I wanted one just because of how neat they look until I saw that they command $5-$7k. No thanks.

Lone Goat
Apr 16, 2003

When life gives you lemons, suplex those lemons.

DevCore posted:

Slap shots are also a good physical technique that save your rear end a lot.
One of the Twilight Zones at a bar here is rested on metal feet with silicon pads which all stands on a polished concrete floor. Seeing that machine slide a foot to the left or right is pretty common and if you're good, will only net you a single danger.

We've been slowly destroying the floor of a local restaurant by shoving pinball tables all over it. It's fun!

edit:

Lone Goat fucked around with this message at 00:52 on May 17, 2014

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies

prefect posted:

From what I've been able to find, it looks like pinballs are generally one and one-sixteenth inches in diameter, and made of (I think) polished steel. The powerball in Twilight Zone is ceramic -- are there any other games with unusual ball sizes or materials?

The old bingos, which are EM and have no flippers so are only kind of pins, use bigger balls. I'm not fully sure why, unless there just wasn't a standard size them. I love these machines, although they're practically worthless in terms of what you can sell one for. They're kind of like horizontal pachinkos, where you get a certain number of balls, and they fall into holes in the playfield that are numbered. They are beautiful in terms of the logic they pull off with pure relays and switches. Imagine trying to build a machine that can tell if you've made a line on a bingo card, without using a single transistor. :swoon: I got one for my Dad, and it actually throws off sparks in the backbox.

In regards to tilting, by the way, please don't put your drink on the glass and then try to manipulate the machine. The beer seals only go so far, and you can never quite get the cabinet floor unsticky again.

Domus fucked around with this message at 01:58 on May 17, 2014

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you

Domus posted:

In regards to tilting, by the way, please don't put your drink on the glass and then try to manipulate the machine. The beer seals only go so far, and you can never quite get the cabinet floor unsticky again.

Just don't put your drink on the glass period. That's what the floor next to the table is for.
Whenever I see people do that, I want to ask if they were raised in a barn.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
I think it's natural. You need two free hands to play, and it looks like a flat enough surface...but it's not. And on the floor, someone will kick the drink over. Proper bars should put up a little table next to or between the pins.

Edit: Just remembered, there was a game called Goldball in the 80's that had a gold ball as the second ball for multi-ball. Black rose was supposed to have black balls like cannonballs, but the extra expense was too much.

Domus fucked around with this message at 02:03 on May 17, 2014

JumpinJackFlash
Nov 15, 2001

Domus posted:

Black rose was supposed to have black balls like cannonballs, but the extra expense was too much.

They're more like gun metal gray than black.

Hercules does not use a pool cue ball, it just looks like one and it's a different size. Hercules loving sucks though.I believe the arcade at Cedar Pointe in Sandusky Ohio still has one.

Anonymous Robot
Jun 1, 2007

Lost his leg in Robo War I

JumpinJackFlash posted:

They're more like gun metal gray than black.

Hercules does not use a pool cue ball, it just looks like one and it's a different size. Hercules loving sucks though.I believe the arcade at Cedar Pointe in Sandusky Ohio still has one.

It plays like poo poo but man if it doesn't put a big stupid grin on my face.

Captain Cool
Oct 23, 2004

This is a song about messin' with people who've been messin' with you

prefect posted:

From what I've been able to find, it looks like pinballs are generally one and one-sixteenth inches in diameter, and made of (I think) polished steel. The powerball in Twilight Zone is ceramic -- are there any other games with unusual ball sizes or materials?
Pinball parts stores will list different sizes of balls and tell you what the different sizes are used for:
http://www.pbresource.com/Balls.html
http://www.marcospecialties.com/pinball-parts/PFLD-PINBALLS

Bovineicide
May 2, 2005

Eating your face since 1991.
How to get to Valinor in LotR: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a9PnCwcYPwY

You can skip ahead to the last five minutes or so, but you miss the full impact of the sound of a mans soul being crushed.

Zeether
Aug 26, 2011

prefect posted:

The "Glo-ball" in Viper Night Drivin'.

Clouseau
Aug 3, 2003

My theories appall you, my heresies outrage you, I never answer letters, and you don't like my tie.

Bovineicide posted:

You can skip ahead to the last five minutes or so, but you miss the full impact of the sound of a mans soul being crushed.

I watched the whole thing, and my god I heard it was hard to get to but I didn't know it was that hard. The player's increasingly loud sighs when he misses a shot is awesome too.

Squashy Nipples
Aug 18, 2007

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Does the Junkyard version of the AFM video mode give you a smart bomb? Didn't seem to for me.

Nope, no Bombs. Makes it that much harder :argh:

I have not seen Mamushka yet, though.

Collateral Damage
Jun 13, 2009

Beatnik-Filmstar posted:

Yes it does, you push the Start button to use it.

There is also a secret time machine mode. When the clock shows 3:33 hit both flipper buttons at the same time to start Secret Mania, which is a nod to Road Show and its hidden Construction Mania mode.

Collateral Damage fucked around with this message at 15:03 on May 18, 2014

goferchan
Feb 8, 2004

It's 2006. I am taking 276 yeti furs from the goodies hoard.
Also, it's not super-obvious because of the camera angle, but before you launch the ball you can use the flippers to rotate through which piece of junk in the center of the board is highlighted, allowing you to control which piece you recieve from the "collect junk" skillshot

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Here are some pictures of my new (first!) pinball machine. The cabinet is functional and the backglass is pretty dire, but the machine works well aside from one thing which I'll detail below. The startup cycle is great for scaring the crap out of unsuspecting cats, too.

Now for the fun part. I have a manual and schematic on the way, but I am eager to try and diagnose the one major problem it has: If you score a thousand points on the table (not two five hundreds, oddly) as player one, the thousands reel sticks and doesn't advance until the end of ball bonus. The reel itself doesn't appear to be the problem; the switch labeled "L" (thousands digit, based on observation) in the backbox sticks shut. It's just that it only does it if you run over any thousand-point scores on the table and only on player one, which suggests the problem isn't there, either. I'm not exactly sure where to look next, I must admit.

Domus
May 7, 2007

Kidney Buddies
Well, it very much could be player one, as every player is scored on its own. EMs very often have problems related to switches that just need a little adjusting. Try seeing what the other player reels do when the 1000 is run over, and adjust your 1000 switch so it's the same as them. It will literally be the switch on the solonoid behind the 1000 digit on the 1st player reel, btw, not any other switch.

Edit: 99.99% certainty that it isn't in the body of the machine. Don't mess with stuff in there, as it's very easy to cock stuff up quite badly.

Double Edit: Very pretty playfield. Incredibly nice if it's not touched up.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Domus posted:

Very pretty playfield. Incredibly nice if it's not touched up.
You beat me to it as I was going to say the same thing. It's in really good shape for 40 year old pin. Someone took very good care of it.

But gently caress that game with it's magnetic outlanes.

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

Like the others said, that playfield looks remarkably clean! How much did that run you, if you don't mind telling? Hot Shot is such fun. I pretty much play a few games of it as warmup every time I start up PBA for a while. That sort of machine is definitely my favorite of the Electromechanicals I've played at Pin-a-go-go and Pacific Pinball Museum. That is, a relatively open playfield with plenty of drop targets for me to work on accurate shooting.

[edit] Interesting, the instructions card on that one says its set for 3 balls, while the PBA one is set for 5 balls. Not a major thing, just something I noticed. I wonder if it came factory like that or if someone just adjusted some settings, I'm sure its configurable.

Galaga Galaxian fucked around with this message at 03:24 on May 21, 2014

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Galaga Galaxian posted:

Like the others said, that playfield looks remarkably clean! How much did that run you, if you don't mind telling? Hot Shot is such fun. I pretty much play a few games of it as warmup every time I start up PBA for a while. That sort of machine is definitely my favorite of the Electromechanicals I've played at Pin-a-go-go and Pacific Pinball Museum. That is, a relatively open playfield with plenty of drop targets for me to work on accurate shooting.

[edit] Interesting, the instructions card on that one says its set for 3 balls, while the PBA one is set for 5 balls. Not a major thing, just something I noticed. I wonder if it came factory like that or if someone just adjusted some settings, I'm sure its configurable.
It is configurable, and it came to me set for 5 balls. I just haven't turned over the card yet. Incidentally, the rubber looks brand-new even though the backglass is in such sad shape. Haven't decided quite what to make of that.

I'm almost afraid to say how much it cost me, though not so afraid I won't tell the story.

A while back, I was telling my now-wife how I'd really like to get a pinball machine, but with how expensive they usually are and the fact of living on a fourth-floor walkup meant that I'd probably have to wait until we were in a better position (which is to say, closer to ground level) before I could get one. There was, of course, one exception, and that'd be Big Shot or Hot Shot. Along comes last week and I see that this little artsy fartsy place that teaches music and is painted bright colors has all their stuff out on the sidewalk. I'm driving by and all I can see is the side art on the machine, and think to myself "You have got to be kidding me." I stop, and take a closer look, and "You have GOT to be kidding me." The only table I said I'd buy, and here it is on the side of the road.

"How much for the pinball machine?"

"One hundred and fifty dollars."

Galaga Galaxian
Apr 23, 2009

What a childish tactic!

$150? Holy poo poo thats nice. I'd go for that. Hopefully refurbishment doesn't cost you too much. Congratulations man.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Casnorf posted:

That's a steal.

Polo-Rican
Jul 4, 2004

emptyquote my posts or die

Casnorf posted:

The best part about this is, if you get sick of it in a few years, you can probably flip it on ebay for around a thousand.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Polo-Rican posted:

The best part about this is, if you get sick of it in a few years, you can probably flip it on ebay for around a thousand.
Yeah, the gaps between the bottom reels for players #3 and #4 have certainly seen some better days but it's really nothing a good elbow and some sandpaper and paint cannot correct.

The backglass box frame needs a bit of TLC too, but that playfield looks really tip top.
I'm looking for obvious wear points and I can't see any that would be complete deal breakers.
For $150 it's nice the old gal still wakes from her nap.

You have a good eye on a good buy, shon!
Congrats on your purchase.

edit: if you wouldn't mind... snap a shot with the playfield glass removed and as much light as possible.

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 06:28 on May 21, 2014

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Robnoxious posted:

edit: if you wouldn't mind... snap a shot with the playfield glass removed and as much light as possible.
The new pinballs and documentation come tomorrow; hopefully I can sort out the player one issue and I'll get some further pics then.

I'm unbelievably jazzed about this machine. I couldn't believe that it worked when I got it home and reassembled.

Robnoxious
Feb 17, 2004

Casnorf posted:

The new pinballs and documentation come tomorrow; hopefully I can sort out the player one issue and I'll get some further pics then.

I'm unbelievably jazzed about this machine. I couldn't believe that it worked when I got it home and reassembled.
:coolfish:
I can't wait to read and see about your adventures in pinball ownership.
I am envious, I so want to own a pin.
My folks were gifted one when I was a tike... Gottlieb's Grand Slam and it sat in our garage.
It didn't work right so they gave it to another friend (for all I know it was because of a bet on a football game in the late 70's).
They got the game to work where I would play it and from there I caught the pin bug.

My folks fell into things like pinball and classic Seeburg jukeboxes but never having any conscious value in mind as to what they were worth they let them slip away at fire sale prices.
Either we were very hard up for cash at the time or my parents were idiots.

When they let our classic Seeburg jukebox go for around $200 (with a big box full of 45s!) I knew even at a young age that my folks were horrible at establishing value or they just would rather be rid of that "poo poo". There were quite a few rare 78s in that box of vinyl.

I even called them out on their blunder. I couldn't have been more than 8 years old.

"You sold all of that for $200?!?! What were you thinking?"

Robnoxious fucked around with this message at 08:14 on May 21, 2014

Casnorf
Jun 14, 2002

Here's the playfield, with and without flash.

I fixed the player one scoring issue! Probably the worst way to do it, with a pair of pliers! The solenoid in the center of the reel mechanism, the one that pulls back to open the normally closed switch underneath it, wasn't opening the switch. So I gently bent the leaf (which was already bent a little for the purposes of letting that solenoid open the switch) a little more and it worked perfectly. Three games in with a new pinball and the only real problems I could find was that the table is canted ever so slightly right (new feet will fix that) and the bonus value light covers are not completely flush...which cost me a good play when a softly hit ball took a hard left off the 3000 light.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

canyoneer
Sep 13, 2005

I only have canyoneyes for you
Someone just posted a 6 year old Stern machine on Craigslist for $260. That's either a typo, or it's going to be my first pin :pray::getin: