Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

PlaneGuy
Mar 28, 2001

g e r m a n
e n g i n e e r i n g

Yam Slacker
My alarms work now, so that's something

OldPueblo posted:

*Tap once on a word to select it.
*Tap a second time and the cursor will appear at the beginning or end of a word depending on which side of the word you tapped.
*Now drag to final destination sideways.

This to me seems much faster overall, and more reliable.

I don't find it reliable at all. At least half the time it selects a nearby word on that second tap so I end up tap tap tap grrr tap tap there it is. And like ededdandeddy said it's under my thumb now, not above where i can see it.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jewmanji
Dec 28, 2003
I can no longer make voice calls in 8.1. At first it seemed the microphone wouldn't pick up my voice for the first 30-45 seconds of a call, or at least extremely intermittently. Now after the most recent patch it doesn't work at all. I can hear people on the other side fine, but no one can hear a word from me.

You can re-install 8.0 right?

Wheezle
Aug 13, 2007

420 stop boats erryday

PlaneGuy posted:

My alarms work now, so that's something

I don't find it reliable at all. At least half the time it selects a nearby word on that second tap so I end up tap tap tap grrr tap tap there it is. And like ededdandeddy said it's under my thumb now, not above where i can see it.

Tap and hold for the second one.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

:woop:

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

No, seriously... what kurds?!
Ugh, WhatsApp was pulled from the store. No one knows whether an improved version is coming, or whether it's being terminated.

Cybernetic Vermin
Apr 18, 2005

Man, that is a surprise. Especially since the current version worked impeccably.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
In case anyone actually wanted to try out the Windows Phone version of my forums app, you can check it out here. I'm at Publish right now, and since I submitted it and another app for the event, I can give a demonstration of its features and show it off.

Which means I'm going straight to FYAD or BYOB and showing off those threads to a bunch of other developers and Microsoft people. Wish me luck! :v:

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 19:24 on May 17, 2014

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Drastic Actions posted:

In case anyone actually wanted to try out the Windows Phone version of my forums app, you can check it out here. I'm at Publish right now, and since I submitted it and another app for the event, I can give a demonstration of its features and show it off.

Which means I'm going straight to FYAD or BYOB and showing off those threads to a bunch of other developers and Microsoft people. Wish me luck! :v:

Playing around with this, it's quite nice. Login page text gave me a chuckle. Noticed something, though — in the thread view, the 'scroll to last' button actually reads 'scroll to las'.

Maneki Neko
Oct 27, 2000

Cybernetic Vermin posted:

Man, that is a surprise. Especially since the current version worked impeccably.

Not on 8.1 apparently. Hopefully Whatsapp is working on an updated version now, but not sure why they would pull it unless it was actually doing something bad to the service when being run on 8.1 devices.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Apparently there's a beta version on the store and was updated on May 17th. Not sure why they pulled the current one.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
So my app was named the best Windows Phone app of the NYC publish event! I got some stories from the event that I'll post later. My prize was a Lumia 1520, but it's locked to AT&T. I tried to contact them to get it unlocked, but the CSR would not do it. Not sure why...

Does anyone know of a cheap site to get it unlocked?

Also, holy poo poo it's huge.

Jeherrin
Jun 7, 2012

Maneki Neko posted:

Not on 8.1 apparently. Hopefully Whatsapp is working on an updated version now, but not sure why they would pull it unless it was actually doing something bad to the service when being run on 8.1 devices.

It hammered battery life on 8.1, and the notification system was buggy as poo poo.

cstine
Apr 15, 2004

What's in the box?!?

Martytoof posted:

Yeah, I haven't actually picked out the target device yet. There are a lot of Dell Venue 8 Pro refurbs on eBay for about two hundred so I might just take a gamble on that and get a non-RT device.

Only reason I said RT was because I don't really plan to do much on it but run Youtube and check my email and didn't realize you could get cheap-ish non-RT devices :)

Hell, you can get a *new* venue 8 pro for $200.

ljw1004
Jan 18, 2005

rum

Drastic Actions posted:

So my app was named the best Windows Phone app of the NYC publish event!

Congrats! Interested to hear your stories.

Some random thoughts on using your app...

* Thank you, I really like it. Is clear and straightforward and has nice readable typography.

* How is a mobile app better than just using a website? If all you're doing is fetching data and displaying it with nice font-size, well, it would be better if the website sent proper mobile-friendly versions of its webpage and your app wouldn't be needed. (alas, somethingawful sends pretty unfriendly versions of its pages to mobile devices).

* What I look for in a mobile app is either a UI that can't be done through a HTML/CSS/JS, or an improved experience for offline / poor-connectivity situations. What kind of improved experience would I want in a forums reader? ...

- Upon launch, it should automatically in the background fetch all new posts in all bookmarked threads. There's a 99% chance that I launched the app to look at my background threads, so these would be downloads well spent.

- When I view my bookmarks and it shows "2 posts remaining" in a thread, then I go and read the thread -- well, when I go back to the bookmarks it should say "0 posts remaining". I shouldn't need to refresh to get that number updated.

- In a browser I can compensate for poor connection speed by ctrl+clicking to open each thread in a new tab. The app doesn't have multiple tabs. That's why I'm hoping the app can be smarter about prefetch in other better ways.

- When I refresh the bookmarked-thread list, I don't want it to go all black. I like a feeling of permanence, that the bookmarks always exist, and all the "refresh" button does is update information about them.

Anyway, thanks again for a nice app.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

The other awful app in the store by Maneki Neko has tabbed browsing.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

ljw1004 posted:

Congrats! Interested to hear your stories.

Some random thoughts on using your app...

Thanks! Again for most people I would still recommend using Awful., but I do have stuff that he does not have (like previews of posts, better quoting). I just wanted to try making another Universal app. If nothing else, you can use mine for posting :v:.

If you go into the settings on the main forum page, you can see their is an option to go straight to bookmarks on launch. Using that will both launch the bookmarks page and fire the command to get the threads. Technically I am sending the request for the bookmarks when view first loads, but it does not seem to actually fire it until you move to that pivot section.

The bookmark view count is not updating because, in the move to making this universal, I broke the binding :v:. It should be fixed soon, I just never noticed it.

Tabbing is also something I'm interested in. Awful. has it if you want it right now, but once I get other bugs fixed I do want to tackle it at some point.

Chasiubao
Apr 2, 2010

Please tell me there's a video of you trying to explain FYAD to the entire gathering.

Sri.Theo
Apr 16, 2008
It's great- scrolling works properly! Out of interest are you still working on the app or was it just for demo purposes?

Because I would love to request a low bandwidth mode that doesn't download images!

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
Some brief notes on the 1520:

* It's huge.

* I actually used the AT&T Device Unlock portal and got an unlock code for free! And it seems to work on T-Mobile LTE! Screw you CSR!

* The screen is fantastic. Watching videos on it is amazing.

* The speaker is pretty good. Not as good as my iPhone 5S, but it can fill a room with sound.

* By having a screen this big, the huge Xbox Music header is not that annoying :v:.

* Holy poo poo it's huge.

I like it, but I'm not sure if I could use it as a daily driver. It's not bad, not by a long shot, but I'm not a fan of huge phones like this. But this might win me over, who knows. :)

Sri.Theo posted:

It's great- scrolling works properly! Out of interest are you still working on the app or was it just for demo purposes?

Because I would love to request a low bandwidth mode that doesn't download images!

I'm still working on it and will be updating it. I just wanted to make it clear that it's not as fully featured as the Awful. app. I would be interested in adding a no images mode; I'm pretty sure someone asked me about it for the Windows 8 app, so I'll try that out soon.

ljw1004 posted:

Interested to hear your stories.

:siren: WARNING: :words: :siren:

As I said before, //Publish is a sort of extension to //Build. Build is all about building the app, Publish is about getting it onto the store. It's a Hackathon meant for those who are really close to finishing their apps, but for one reason or another have not gotten it uploaded yet. Like maybe you don't have enough beta testers, or you need to test it on other hardware. For me, this was great. I had a few apps (like Awful Forum Reader) that were mostly done, but needed that final push. There were a few others there who, like me, were close already to getting something in, but just wanted to get more testing in.

But honestly, we were the minority. I'm only speaking for the NYC event, where around 50 or so people turned up, but most of the other people there either

- Never made Windows 8 / Windows Phone apps before.

- Made some App Builder apps, and were trying to port that to the other platform.

- Made apps before, but were either really basic or did not have anything on hand and were going to make it from scratch.

Before the hackathon even began, we complained about the prizes. Their were four categories; Best Windows Phone 8.1 app, Best Windows 8.1 app, Best cross platform app, and Best app design. The first place winner would get a Dell Venue 8 inch tablet. Second place would get a Lumia 1520. Now, as you could guess, having a $200 tablet be first place and a $600+ smartphone be second is kinda nuts. Also I have a Surface Pro 2. I don't need another tablet, but I would love to replace my nearly broken 920. They then changed the rules, saying whoever won first could pick which prize they wanted, and second would get the other one, which was fine with us.

During the event, there was a web page set up so we could see what was going on at other Publish events around the world. We could also check in the apps we were working on, and see how many of those apps were submitted to the store. While the apps being worked on counter slowly increased throughout the day, the submitted number remained static, hovering around 15 or so. Note that this was the worldwide count, with about 1800 people participating. By the end of the first day at the NYC Publish, only myself and three other people actually submitted something to the store. Only ten people actually checked in the apps they were working on. You could tell the Microsoft people were kinda down about it, but they held out hope for the next day. Oh, and on day two they removed the "Apps published" counter from the website :v:.

By the end of day one, I submitted CrouMetro, my Croudia client to the store. Now, a Japanese SNS app is not exactly a system seller for a platform which has less than one percent market share in Japan, but the Microsoft people were really happy withe the app itself and were impressed with the technical stuff I put in. But a funny thing did happen when I showed one of the tech evangelist what I had done. He said to me,

"Wow, that's awesome! But what language is that?"
I said, "It's Japanese. It's for a Japanese social network."
To which he replied "But you're not Japanese!"

I think I know what he meant by that. I think he was going for "It's interesting that you're making an app that's entirely not in your own language." But the way he said it was really funny. I've never heard anyone say that to me before. I mean, it's true, but... I don't know, it's weird.

By the end of the night, I got Awful Forums Reader published (See: a few posts above), so I had two apps submitted and published to the store. I spent parts of the second day trying to make a Windows 8 version for CrouMetro, but instead just went into bug fixing for Awful Forums Reader. A few other people got their stuff in, but most of the other people were freaking out. A few apps somehow failed certification, some were just not ready. In the end, if I recall correctly, only ten or eleven people got their apps submitted in time. Of those, only a few were new universal apps (mine technically are universal, but I released the Windows 8 portion well before the event, so they don't count). One of them was a Windows Phone 8 app, which was against the rules, but they let it slide. As stated above, those who submitted apps had to give a presentation on their app to the assembled Microsoft group. This was even worse for me because I had two, and one is in Japanese.

First I talked about CrouMetro. It blew most of those in the audience away, mostly because they had no idea what I was showing them.

I did the best I could in any case. I even gave a live demonstration of making a post.

Post linked here

Those are the judges of the event, all looking at my projected Windows Phone desktop showing my viewfinder, rather than at the camera itself.
After that, I showed Awful Forums Reader. A few people there knew SA, but as far as I know there were no other Goons, only people who read the front page. I did not have enough time to go into FYAD, but we did show off some random GBS threads.

There were a few other apps presented that I did really like. The first guy who went up had a game which I think is called "Tappy Dog". I could not find it in the store yet though. Although I thought, based on the name, that it would be a flappy bird clone, this actually was a bit more clever. It's a simple game where you just tap on boxes to move your dog from the start to the finish line.You tap green boxes to go forward, red to go backward. The boxes switch positions each time you tap. Now, the impressive bit is that it uses SignalR to link Windows Phone and Windows 8 tablets, so multiple people can play together. It's not that complex a game, and the guy is not a graphical artist as the art was very poor, but I was impressed by the technical aspects of it.

The other was a Unity game, built for Windows Phone and Windows 8. I don't remember the name of it, but it was also a simple game where you had to tap on shift-able boxes. Not sure if there is a trend of shifting box games out there, but whatever. It was a "retro" looking game, but putting that aside it ran great and at least looked impressive.

As for the other apps... well... Yeah. They were not nearly as interesting. I'm not going to poo poo on the other devs, because it's clear that they had either just starting working on apps or otherwise did not have much programming experience in general.

For example, Metro North NYC. Now, the guy who made this did have some skills, in so much as he made a web service for getting MTA data into a web service for getting Metro times. But the app itself is very simple. And seriously, a brown header? Yuk. There are already several MTA and transit apps on the store, so I don't see much reason for this one anyway. Oh, and Metro North won first place for best app design.

This is Parker's Minecraft. An app technically made by the devs eight year old son. And when I say "made" I mean, "Used app builder". All it does is link to youtube videos of minecraft. That's it. There are also ads in the app, which is hosed up because the videos being linked to don't have any, so he is making money off of other peoples work. :argh:. He won an "Honorable mention" award, and was given a remote controlled car that can be used with Windows Phone.

The rest were just bare bones basic. Again, it was clear they had never made apps like this before.

So "CrouMetro", "Tappy Dog", the other tapping game, and "Metro North" all won first place in different categories. You could tell they were a bit hesitant about the second place winners, because they were the lower quality, lower effort apps. But they had no choice. However, because of their decision at the start of the hackathon to allow the winner to pick what prize they wanted, all of us first place winners picked the Lumia 1520. If they did not make that change, we would have rioted.

I talked with the judges afterward to see if they actually liked what they saw, rather than just giving me first for Windows Phone because the other apps were not good. They told me they legitimately thought I had a great app. They were impressed that I actually knew what I was talking about (I was the only one who explained how the views they were seeing were created), had competent custom controls to handle image loading (My images show real placeholders, then fade in the actual image), has proper view models, and that I cared about the design. That made me feel better. I should have given them my resume.

So yeah, that's about it. I'm not sure about the other events but I'm hopping some good poo poo came out of the other ones. I still enjoyed going; I loved talking directly with Microsoft people, asking about specific Windows questions and getting more or less straight answers. Hell, I got to argue about the state of WPF being/not being dead. I just wish there were more normal developers I could have talked to.

some kinda jackal
Feb 25, 2003

Is Cortana supposed to be wide-release on day one when carriers start deploying 8.1 or is Canada going to get a deferred rollout? Do we know?

MyFaceBeHi
Apr 9, 2008

I was popular, once.
I'm sure they said it will only be the US (and maybe Canada?) when released, then pushed everywhere else once it's out of beta. Basically similar thing to Siri, in as much as it's available to the US as a beta.

benitocereno
Apr 14, 2005

Doctor Rope

This is all awesome and a very interesting read, thanks for sharing!

Stick100
Mar 18, 2003

Drastic Actions posted:

I'm only speaking for the NYC event, where around 50 or so people turned up, but most of the other people there either

- Never made Windows 8 / Windows Phone apps before.

- Made some App Builder apps, and were trying to port that to the other platform.

- Made apps before, but were either really basic or did not have anything on hand and were going to make it from scratch.

So yeah, that's about it. I'm not sure about the other events but I'm hopping some good poo poo came out of the other ones. I still enjoyed going; I loved talking directly with Microsoft people, asking about specific Windows questions and getting more or less straight answers. Hell, I got to argue about the state of WPF being/not being dead. I just wish there were more normal developers I could have talked to.

I work in a largish city where the majority of developers work on Microsoft technologies. We have several companies that had large Silverlight projects and several WPF projects. Oh as a side note all of those companies have abandoned Silverlight for HTML/Javascript.

I have met one other person that has ever even looked at the Windows Phone Developer or Windows 8 tools. And that was because he was taking over my position at a major carrier that was required to have an WP8 developer.

I have met about a hundred each of iOS/Android developers.

I'm guessing the NYC event was probably one of the very best //Publish events outside of Redmond.

The number and quality of WP8/W8 developers is absolutely a joke.

The only way to really turn about WP8/W8 development would be for Microsoft to outright buy Xamarian and include it in all Visual Studio MSDN accounts professional and up.

That way MS would have a mobile development store (use Visual Studio publish to everything Native including our own).

In total it would probably be easier for MS to just Abandon WP boost up Nokia X, get a total suite of comparable services and relaunch WP9 as a highly customized Android skin.

If MS didn't have the free phones / $100 promotions their app store would have ten of thousands of entries at most.

Stick100 fucked around with this message at 19:44 on May 18, 2014

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Various German online shops claim stock availability of the Lumia 930 for next Tuesday (i.e. the 20th). Seems like some countries get the 930 the same time as the 630.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Stick100 posted:

I work in a largish city where the majority of developers work on Microsoft technologies. We have several companies that had large Silverlight projects and several WPF projects. Oh as a side note all of those companies have abandoned Silverlight for HTML/Javascript. I have met one other person that has ever even looked at the Windows Phone Developer or Windows 8 tools. And that was because he was taking over my position at a major carrier that was required to have an WP8 developer. I have met about a hundred each of iOS/Android developers. I'm guessing the NYC event was probably one of the very best //Publish events outside of Redmond. The number and quality of WP8/W8 developers is absolutely a joke. The only way to really turn about WP8/W8 development would be for Microsoft to outright buy Xamarian and include it in all Visual Studio MSDN accounts professional and up.That way MS would have a mobile development store (use Visual Studio publish to everything Native including our own). In total it would probably be easier for MS to just Abandon WP boost up Nokia X, get a total suite of comparable services and relaunch WP9 as a highly customized Android skin.

If MS didn't have the free phones / $100 promotions their app store would have ten of thousands of entries at most.

I have a Xamarin license and do make C# iOS apps with it. I brought my iPhone with me, and I was asked why I would bother having an iPhone and told them straight that iOS has above 50% market share in Japan right now. Windows Phone is at or below 1%. Even BlackBerry has more users. Since some of my apps are intended for that audience, why would I go to a place with few, if any, users? Users would bought their phones outright because they are not on any carrier?

I don't think the NYC event was the most successful outside of HQ though. They were surprised so few showed, and the other live events seemed to have more people. But don't have specific numbers :shrug:.

I'm also pretty sure going to Android would not help them. But I do think giving out the tools to make cross-platform apps could help them out however, or at the very least get everyone writing C# code. It would help me out anyway.

On a more happier topic, here are some pictures I took with the 1520. And of course, it's food. Because why not. That's what half of my twitter and croudia feeds are :v:.

:3:
I also took some other ones, and comparing it with my iPhone 5S I would say that the iPhone still takes better general pictures. But the 1520 still does a drat fine job, and having that many megapixels is amazing.

EDIT: Forgot some words up there :doh:

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 20:34 on May 18, 2014

Ev
Aug 3, 2006
Drastic Actions, your app is great, thanks for taking the time to make it. Very nice layout and readability.

Question for everyone here--does anyone else have problems with the Xbox Video app loading their collection? I have a ton of videos that I've bought (mostly TV shows and one or two movies) over the years on the Xbox and while I can view some of them through the web interface, when I open the app on my 1520 nothing happens past a screen that says "loading". I mean, I can access the store if I wanted to buy more videos, but I can't see a list of videos in my collection.

It's weird because when I first got this phone I recall being able to see some of the videos in my collection and watched one or two, but now nothing and I'm not sure if it happened when the app itself updated or when I updated to the 8.1 beta. Granted I haven't updated the latest 8.1 beta, and I suppose I should do so, but has anyone else had this problem?

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
I tried downloading Drastic Action's app, but it says my phone can't download it. I've got a 928 and all the software is up to date, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Any ideas?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Lance Streetman posted:

I tried downloading Drastic Action's app, but it says my phone can't download it. I've got a 928 and all the software is up to date, so I'm not sure what the problem is. Any ideas?

It's a Windows phone 8.1 app. You have to upgrade to it.

If you have, and it still fails... Then I'm not sure. :shrug:

Lance Streetman
Feb 20, 2011

A parfait is a dessert, but it is also the French word for perfect.
Ah, I see. I'll just wait for 8.1 to roll out, then.

joebuddah
Jan 30, 2005

Ev posted:

Drastic Actions, your app is great, thanks for taking the time to make it. Very nice layout and readability.

Question for everyone here--does anyone else have problems with the Xbox Video app loading their collection? I have a ton of videos that I've bought (mostly TV shows and one or two movies) over the years on the Xbox and while I can view some of them through the web interface, when I open the app on my 1520 nothing happens past a screen that says "loading". I mean, I can access the store if I wanted to buy more videos, but I can't see a list of videos in my collection.

It's weird because when I first got this phone I recall being able to see some of the videos in my collection and watched one or two, but now nothing and I'm not sure if it happened when the app itself updated or when I updated to the 8.1 beta. Granted I haven't updated the latest 8.1 beta, and I suppose I should do so, but has anyone else had this problem?

Have you tried swiping left or right? Xbox video app loads on the store on my 920 then I have to swipe left or right a few screens to get to my collection. Before 8.1 my collection was on the main screen I think. Also some videos on Xbox video do expire, and have to be downloaded before a certain date.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

A mobile phone game where you tap things? How innovative. Without joking though, the multiplayer tapping game sounds intriguing.

Anyway, thank you for this and further posts, it was very interesting to read.

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

How exactly does Glance work on Lumia phones with AMOLED? Is it always displaying something, or does it show something for a short while only, when the proximity sensor tells the phone that I pulled it out of the pocket?

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

Combat Pretzel posted:

How exactly does Glance work on Lumia phones with AMOLED? Is it always displaying something, or does it show something for a short while only, when the proximity sensor tells the phone that I pulled it out of the pocket?

It has multiple settings. You can have it be always on, or have it on when you pick up the phone. There is also an option to have it always on when it's charging.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 17:27 on May 19, 2014

Ev
Aug 3, 2006

joebuddah posted:

Have you tried swiping left or right? Xbox video app loads on the store on my 920 then I have to swipe left or right a few screens to get to my collection. Before 8.1 my collection was on the main screen I think. Also some videos on Xbox video do expire, and have to be downloaded before a certain date.

Well, here's the weird and embarrassing thing: I tried it again today and just left the drat thing open for a long time and when I came back to it my library was showing again. I don't know how long it took, but at least five minutes to load (I walked away from it after that point). I haven't tried playing anything, and it's not great when it comes to showing what I own vs what I don't own in each series, but at least it shows the contents of the library now. Well, most the library. One or two things don't show up, but it's better than it was.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost
So this power button issue is also happening on the 1520. So it was not my 920 acting up, it's just an issue in general. I can't turn off the phone, I can't actually get the screen on without unplugging it. I have no idea what to do :(.

Mecca-Benghazi
Mar 31, 2012

I had that issue on my 1020 and ended up doing a hard reset and it hasn't come back. This is on 8.1.

OldPueblo
May 2, 2007

Likes to argue. Wins arguments with ignorant people. Not usually against educated people, just ignorant posters. Bing it.
You can always turn on double-tap to wake in the meantime.

Drastic Actions
Apr 7, 2009

FUCK YOU!
GET PUMPED!
Nap Ghost

OldPueblo posted:

You can always turn on double-tap to wake in the meantime.

Does not work, I can't launch the phone at all. Not even the camera button. If it gets in that state, I have to hard reset. :(

EDIT: I think it has to do with volume space. The moment I start to add a lot of music to my phone, it starts acting like that.

Drastic Actions fucked around with this message at 12:00 on May 20, 2014

LentThem
Aug 31, 2004

90% Retractible
Jesus, my phone must have jammed on an app or something, because while using WeChat and listening to music, the phone got hot and I ultimately dropped from 70% to 36% during my 80-minute commute home, even after I switched off the phone at one point in the middle of the trip.

Then, while searching to find out what key combination will soft-reset the phone, (my search was just "soft reset windows phone 8.1") I realized just how unbelievably filled with linkbait crap results Bing is. The first page of results was 90% variations of garbage like "samsunghardreset.com/search/*****" and "www.samsunghardreset.com/search/*****" and "androidhardreset.com/search/*****". On the other hand, every result from Google linked to WPCentral or Winsupersite, so I found the right key combination instantly. I'd change my default search in IE to Google, but my regional firmware only lets me choose Bing and Baidu.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Combat Pretzel
Jun 23, 2004

Ahaha, turns out those idiot shops all made mistakes and the 930 isn't available yet. I can understand if that was a singular thing, but it happened with multiple independent companies. Nice communication, Nokia. :psyduck: