Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chalupa Picada
Jan 13, 2009

Srice posted:

The anime adaption of Binbougami/Good Luck Girl was handled by the same staff as those two shows, so that seems like a good first choice.

Seconding this, Binbougami was fantastic.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Cromartie High School

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fHFySGxccKc

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nrI7QUJfkvI

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cvg6ZP-HTCA

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy
I think it was Zorak who said Nichibros was basically a bastard child of Gintama and Cromartie. So, yeah, nthing the Cromartie High recommendation.

FMP: Fumoffu might also be right up your alley.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

The_Frag_Man posted:

What's a good comedy series that's like Gintama or Nichibros?
Oh yeah, if you haven't done so already make sure you read the Nichibros manga as well. There are a ton of great chapters that never got animated.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Wark Say posted:

FMP: Fumoffu might also be right up your alley.

I knew I was forgetting something.

Seconding this.

e: VV Since he(she?)'s saying "Nichibros", I'd assume she(he?) already saw Nichijou.

Also Principal vs. Deer is the only way to introduce someone to Nichijou. :colbert:

ViggyNash fucked around with this message at 22:57 on May 18, 2014

Drifter
Oct 22, 2000

Belated Bear Witness
Soiled Meat

The_Frag_Man posted:

What's a good comedy series that's like Gintama or Nichibros?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z30Y572EmCk

She draws her own manga.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp
I'm interested in any anime or manga that involve mature relationships

Something I read and which got me interested in this genre is "my girlfriend is a geek" and "Bonnouji"

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer
You might be looking for NANA and Paradise Kiss.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

More importantly, the kind of manga she really doesn't want other people to see :wiggle:.

ViggyNash posted:

I knew I was forgetting something.

Seconding this.

e: VV Since he(she?)'s saying "Nichibros", I'd assume she(he?) already saw Nichijou.

Also Principal vs. Deer is the only way to introduce someone to Nichijou. :colbert:

The Principal squaring off with the Deer's one of my favourite scenes from Nichijou, though it's a close second to the Temple sketch. Also, if they have seen Nichijou, Azumanga Daioh might be worth a look for something similar.

a kitten
Aug 5, 2006

Chillyrabbit posted:

Something I read and which got me interested in this genre is "my girlfriend is a geek" and "Bonnouji"

Paradise Kiss and NANA as mentioned, I'd also highly recommend Octave and Solanin.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
So I'm real loving ignorant of the classics. There's been a lot of anime that's come out in the last ten years that I've greatly enjoyed, but as far as earlier stuff goes, I've only seen one or two here and there. Obviously square one is "watch Legend of Galactic Heroes", but that poo poo seems massive and not the type of time commitment I'm prepared for at the moment.

Here are my favorites out of what I've seen:

- Kill la Kill, obviously (though if I had watched it during its airing, I'd have no doubt been making GBS threads up the thread with concerns about fanservice and sexual humor)
- Monster is probably my single favorite. The other Urasawa I've been exposed to (albeit in manga form because I don't think there are anime adaptations of these), 20th Century Boys and Pluto, were both very much up my alley
- Gen Urobuchi seems like a real solid dude, I was a big fan of Fate/Zero and Madoka

Here are very-well-regarded works that did absolutely nothing for me:

- Gurren Lagann and Redline both get an incredible amount of hype on these forums but were immediately very off-putting
- Utena and Penguindrum were both relentlessly recommended to me by folks outside this forum, but it turns out I am just not buying what this Ikuhara guy is selling

Basically, are there a couple series that match the criteria of "These are classics from before the turn of the millennium (or right around it), relatively short, and seem to match up with the poo poo you like" and that I should be getting on immediately?

StandardVC10
Feb 6, 2007

This avatar now 50% more dark mode compliant

Is there legal streaming of this anywhere?

Wark Say
Feb 22, 2013

by Fluffdaddy

Jonny Angel posted:

So I'm real loving ignorant of the classics. There's been a lot of anime that's come out in the last ten years that I've greatly enjoyed, but as far as earlier stuff goes, I've only seen one or two here and there. Obviously square one is "watch Legend of Galactic Heroes", but that poo poo seems massive and not the type of time commitment I'm prepared for at the moment.

- Kill la Kill, obviously (though if I had watched it during its airing, I'd have no doubt been making GBS threads up the thread with concerns about fanservice and sexual humor)
- Monster is probably my single favorite. The other Urasawa I've been exposed to (albeit in manga form because I don't think there are anime adaptations of these), 20th Century Boys and Pluto, were both very much up my alley
- Gen Urobuchi seems like a real solid dude, I was a big fan of Fate/Zero and Madoka

- Gurren Lagann and Redline both get an incredible amount of hype on these forums but were immediately very off-putting
- Utena and Penguindrum were both relentlessly recommended to me by folks outside this forum, but it turns out I am just not buying what this Ikuhara guy is selling

Basically, are there a couple series that match the criteria of "These are classics from before the turn of the millennium (or right around it), relatively short, and seem to match up with the poo poo you like" and that I should be getting on immediately?

Cowboy Bebop and Outlaw Star should get you up to speed. As a fun note: Outlaw Star was the debut role for Ayako Kawasumi (Saber in Fate/Zero).

Nipponophile
Apr 8, 2009

Jonny Angel posted:

Two of my favorites are The Vision of Escaflowne and Cowboy Bebop, which both share a lot of staff and had well-regarded simulwatches here. People have varying opinions on Escaflowne, mostly due to the character design, but Bebop is widely considered a classic for the ages.

Miles Vorkosigan
Mar 21, 2007

The stuff that dreams are made of.

Jonny Angel posted:

Obviously square one is "watch Legend of Galactic Heroes", but that poo poo seems massive and not the type of time commitment I'm prepared for at the moment.

Just watch it. By the end you'll be wishing it was longer.

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry

Jonny Angel posted:

Not a lot of it is pre-2000, but it might be worth taking a look here either way: http://www.adtrwiki.com/index.php?title=New%3F. Some of the OVAs in there, like Giant Robo and Macross Plus, would probably go over well with you.

You might as well go down the Evangelion rabbit hole as well if you haven't already.

Oooooooooooor you could just suck it up and watch LOGH.

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy
But won't it consume my life and/or isn't it very difficult to watch legally?

EDIT: Also wow, I'm surprised to see that both seasons of Code Geass fared so well in the yearly polls on ADTRW Wiki. I had always gotten the impression that it was one of those situations like Michael Bay movies where I love it to death but everyone else understandably hates it.

Jenny Angel fucked around with this message at 04:50 on May 19, 2014

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

If you want something easy to watch legally, I'm seconding Macross Plus. It's up on Hulu and while iirc it's the dubbed version, it's a good dub. Heck it's quite amusing in hindsight because the lead is actually voiced by Bryan Cranston because when the dub was made his most notable role was appearing in a few Seinfeld episodes.

unpronounceable
Apr 4, 2010

You mean we still have another game to go through?!
Fallen Rib
A couple other classics that deserve a watch are Akira and Ghost in the Shell.

jonjonaug
Mar 26, 2010

by Lowtax

Jonny Angel posted:

Newer stuff: If you're up for tokusatsu, I'd strongly recommend the currently running Kamen Rider Gaim, which is being written by Urobuchi. Psycho-Pass is also pretty good.

Older/shorter stuff: The Devilman OVAs (two episodes at 50 minutes each, don't watch the "Amon" OVA) are pretty great, if you're looking for action anime. I'd recommend reading the manga afterward as well, as it continues the story and is generally considered a masterpiece and one of the most influential action manga ever written.

jonjonaug fucked around with this message at 05:11 on May 19, 2014

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Jonny Angel posted:

But won't it consume my life and/or isn't it very difficult to watch legally?

EDIT: Also wow, I'm surprised to see that both seasons of Code Geass fared so well in the yearly polls on ADTRW Wiki. I had always gotten the impression that it was one of those situations like Michael Bay movies where I love it to death but everyone else understandably hates it.

It's one of the most polarizing shows on ADTRW, from what I've seen. I personally think it's great.

I was about to say Psyco-Pass as well, but looks like I got beat. Not as good as Madoka or Fate/Zero, but pretty drat close and is really interesting in its own right. I'll also second Akira and Ghost in the Shell, which are in the same vein.

devtesla
Jan 2, 2012

Grimey Drawer

StandardVC10 posted:

Is there legal streaming of this anywhere?

Sadly no, and the DVD is out of print too. Because it's in limbo, I was able to get permission from the mod to post a link to the torrent of Cromartie at BakaBT, which has both the English and Japanese dubs. Both are good, to the point where I honestly can't recommend one over the other. I personally prefer the Japanese one entirely because of Norio Wakamoto as Mechazawa.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWNY4XXlRj0

Genocyber
Jun 4, 2012

Anyone who doesn't like code Geass for the hilarious trainwreck it is is a horrible person. :colbert:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Chillyrabbit posted:

Boys on the Run(lovely dork has relationships, fucks up relationships, finds himself)
Sand Chronicles(follows a girl throughout her life and the relationships she has therein)
Sekitou Elergy(or of my favorite series ever, post-school loser takes part time jobs to figure himself out, meets brutish and loud girl while working traffic duty)
Ai-Ren(:unsmigghh:)
The Flowers of Evil(you want relationships? Nakamura spits on your relationships. But it's oh so good and messed up)

Jonny Angel posted:

No offense, but I have to ask what was "off-putting" about Gurren Lagann if you loved Kill La loving Kill. Especially since they're both made by the same people and KLK shares a lot of similarities and style with GL.

You should also give Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt a watch, it's fantastic. English or Japanese, both voice tracks are exquisite. It is also by the GL/KLK people.

Jonny Angel posted:

isn't it very difficult to watch legally?
You really shouldn't worry about this sort of thing with some animes. LOGH's creators are insane and want like 2000 dollars for the full series box set I think? They wanted to license it here but when they heard they couldn't charge 400 dollars per DVD they decided not to

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 08:15 on May 19, 2014

Tuxedo Catfish
Mar 17, 2007

You've got guts! Come to my village, I'll buy you lunch.

Captain Invictus posted:

No offense, but I have to ask what was "off-putting" about Gurren Lagann if you loved Kill La loving Kill. Especially since they're both made by the same people and KLK shares a lot of similarities and style with GL.

I have a friend who loved KLK but couldn't stand TTGL because she's bored of male coming-of-age stories. It doesn't make much sense to me either, but there's no accounting for taste.

edit: Except for not liking Utena, which is inexcusable. :colbert:

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
From the way he put it and based on his previous post it seemed like it had something to do with fanservice. If that's not the case, cool, but it's how it looked to me. I am also curious at what point he stopped watching it.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Tuxedo Catfish posted:

edit: Except for not liking Utena, which is inexcusable. :colbert:

As much as I respect Utena, I really don't hold it as high as everyone else. I can see why someone wouldn't like it.

Mors Rattus
Oct 25, 2007

FATAL & Friends
Walls of Text
#1 Builder
2014-2018

Captain Invictus posted:

Boys on the Run(lovely dork has relationships, fucks up relationships, finds himself)
Sand Chronicles(follows a girl throughout her life and the relationships she has therein)
Sekitou Elergy(or of my favorite series ever, post-school loser takes part time jobs to figure himself out, meets brutish and loud girl while working traffic duty)
Ai-Ren(:unsmigghh:)
The Flowers of Evil(you want relationships? Nakamura spits on your relationships. But it's oh so good and messed up)

I'm not really sure I'd call any of these comparable to Bonnouji or My Girlfriend Is A Geek, which are a lot more slice-of-life and low drama. Maybe Sekitou Elegy.

Seraphic Neoman
Jul 19, 2011

Seconding this :unsmigghh:

Brainamp
Sep 4, 2011

More Zen than Zenyatta

Trying to remember a manga I read a while back and figured I'd ask here. What I remember was it starred a scary looking nerd who makes a ?contract? with a computer virus and enters some battle royale type thingy.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Mors Rattus posted:

I'm not really sure I'd call any of these comparable to Bonnouji or My Girlfriend Is A Geek, which are a lot more slice-of-life and low drama. Maybe Sekitou Elegy.

There really isn't a whole lot like Bonnouji and I've never heard of My Girlfriend Is A Geek. He asked for "mature relationships" and those series either deal with post-school relationships, or mature topics in a relationship(Ai-Ren's terminally ill protagonist, Flowers of Evil's childhood trauma disrupting a relationship, for example).

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 18:56 on May 19, 2014

Jenny Angel
Oct 24, 2010

Out of Control
Hard to Regulate
Anything Goes!
Lipstick Apathy

Captain Invictus posted:

Sure, I'm glad to explain! I held off on going into any detail in my first post because I didn't want to derail the thread into a guy complaining about beloved anime TTGL. But since you asked, here goes.

There's definitely an irrational bias in play, for starters. I got drawn into TTGL by the relentless hype train praising it as the most entertaining and badass thing of all time. With Kill la Kill on the other hand, my girlfriend recommended it to me as something that was really sweet and a whole lot of fun, while also warning me about its problematic elements in advance. So the one had impossible expectations to live up to, while the other bad high but qualified expectations that it definitely met.

But there was also something really unappealing about how hard TTGL was trying at all times. It's far from being a dour show, to be sure, but it just felt like it was just constantly trying to convince me that the thing happening on screen was the coolest thing possible - and given the theme of escalation, that this was also twice as cool as the coolest thing from last episode.

I also don't find its core philosophy very appealing, and it's just so unrelentingly phallic. Like, I'm used to that kind of imagery, I'm usually fine with it, but there's just dicks everywhere here, nonstop, and these are also the coolest dicks ever.

KittyEmpress
Dec 30, 2012

Jam Buddies

So, on this thread's recommendation I looked into Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. I loved the first two arcs, but five episodes in to Stardust Crusaders I can't get into it - weird spirit things with powers just bores me.

So I have two questions for recommendations

1. what is a good anime about big people punching people. A lot.

2. Are there any anime with characters who bullshit their enemies as much as Joseph did? They could be actual masterminds or just pretend to, but playing mindgames with the opponent is great.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012
Johnny Angel: If you liked Fate/Zero, you might want to try Fate/Stay Night (the VN, not the anime). It comes with several caveats similar to those you mentioned for Kill La Kill, though.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

KittyEmpress posted:

So, on this thread's recommendation I looked into Jojo's Bizarre Adventure. I loved the first two arcs, but five episodes in to Stardust Crusaders I can't get into it - weird spirit things with powers just bores me.

So I have two questions for recommendations

1. what is a good anime about big people punching people. A lot.

2. Are there any anime with characters who bullshit their enemies as much as Joseph did? They could be actual masterminds or just pretend to, but playing mindgames with the opponent is great.

You want Fist of the North Star.

ViggyNash
Oct 9, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

You want Fist of the North Star.

There is no other answer.

Chillyrabbit
Oct 24, 2012

The only sword wielding rabbit on the internet

Ultra Carp

Mors Rattus posted:

Well I need to branch out more and this might give me a kick in the pants to start reading more.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Everything Burrito
Jun 2, 2011

I Failed At Anime 2022

Chillyrabbit posted:

Rather than a specific title I'm going to suggest looking at stuff by Mari Okazaki. Suppli was released in English by Tokyopop but volumes are still pretty easy to find on Amazon, at least as of a couple months ago. & is unlicensed and should be available on the manga scan site of your preference; it's not complete but gets updated fairly regularly for a josei manga. There are also a couple of anthologies that have been scanlated which are gorgeous. Her stories are generally a little bittersweet and the art might take some getting used to if you aren't used to that kind of style, but I think they're better overall than some of the (few) other complete josei manga that are available like Kimi Wa Pet (which suffers from the main love interest being a creepy Nice Guy) and Midnight Secretary (don't read this, it is really awful).

Please Love the Useless Me by Aya Nakahara is another good one, very funny and sweet and the romance is pretty low-key so far. Updates are kinda few and far between though.

• Locked thread