Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Chamale
Jul 11, 2010

I'm helping!

Nam Sung-Wook had a Japanese flag next to his name on the stream for a while, whoops. I haven't been following block constructed enough to know what to expect from this matchup.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BrokenKnees
Aug 28, 2008

Ow.

Molybdenum posted:

Samurai and ninjas are coming in October. I can feel it.

Been thinking about making a Samurai deck and new cards would be welcome.

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Sleep of Bronze posted:

Reminder that Orcs were in M14. Dying, admittedly, but they were there.

what?

Fish Of Doom
Aug 18, 2004
I'm too awake for this to be a nightmare

Maybe he's confused about Ogre Battledriver?

Zorak
Nov 7, 2005

Fish Of Doom posted:

Maybe he's confused about Ogre Battledriver?

This is what he's referring to.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

I was hoping the thing players have been asking for that is coming in Khans was enemy-color manlands but then I remembered nobody pines for those except me.

Jenx
Oct 17, 2012

Behold the Bull of Heaven!

Mob posted:

I was hoping the thing players have been asking for that is coming in Khans was enemy-color manlands but then I remembered nobody pines for those except me.

I've been waiting for enemy colored fastlands, to be honest. But manlands would be cool too.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mob posted:

but then I remembered nobody pines for those except me.

Haha, look at this joker.

Edit: seriously bring on a black white lifelinking land wizards.

TheKingofSprings fucked around with this message at 20:24 on May 18, 2014

Tonetta
Jul 9, 2013

look mother look at ME MOTHER MOTHER I AM A HOMESTIXK NOW

**methodically removes and eats own clothes*
I wanna say tribal is coming back.

Rather, I hope tribal is coming back

change my name
Aug 27, 2007

Legends die but anime is forever.

RIP The Lost Otakus.

Homo for Hitler posted:

Tribal spells own (maybe I'm just saying this because I pulled 2 Krenkos from packs recently and want to make a goblin deck).

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Homo for Hitler posted:

I think you're right, honestly.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

based on Rosewater says on his blog, tribal isn't coming back, guys.

JerryLee
Feb 4, 2005

THE RESERVED LIST! THE RESERVED LIST! I CANNOT SHUT UP ABOUT THE RESERVED LIST!

Jenx posted:

I've been waiting for enemy colored fastlands, to be honest. But manlands would be cool too.

Now that they're doing ten duals per block, they can bring back the Worldwake manlands in a future set and do the five enemy colored versions at the same time.

Same with the fastlands, in theory, although the fastlands unfortunately have fairly Mirrodin-specific names, whereas the manlands not so much.

Mob
May 7, 2002

Me reading your posts

Elyv posted:

based on Rosewater says on his blog, tribal isn't coming back, guys.

Not tribal the word, tribal the theme. Think Onslaught or Lorwyn blocks.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I'm kind of excited that despite all the Naya Elspeth and BUG Control decks running around the Pro Tour this weekend, the Finals may end up being Junk Rares vs Junk Constellation.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Mob posted:

If this means Goblins can get its answer to True Name Nemesis and Deathrite, I am all for it.

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

Mob posted:

Oh okay, yeah that is possible. It's been a while since tribal has been the main theme and it's pretty popular.

Kurtofan
Feb 16, 2011

hon hon hon

Kabanaw posted:

He mentioned on his blog a while back that he's dropped about 25 pounds in the past year. His secret? Less food and more exercise.

poo poo I thought it was the other way around.

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat

TheKingofSprings posted:

If this means Goblins can get its answer to True Name Nemesis

Goblin Piledriver exists you know, but then again I'd love to have it in a new set so I can use it in Modern.

Sleep of Bronze
Feb 9, 2013

If I could only somewhere find Aias, master of the warcry, then we could go forth and again ignite our battle-lust, even in the face of the gods themselves.
Got to the reason Heliod wants to kill Elspeth in the book. If Helland's doing what I think she's doing, it's quite clever and Heliod is only very mildly stupid.

And that Kiora cameo. Oh, wow. :allears:

Roadie
Jun 30, 2013

Oraculum Animi posted:

Hell, sometimes nostalgia strikes and I look at cards being made and they're still changing the rules, oddly enough sounding more like Magic in the grammar and key words being used (like target instead of select, piercing damage, banish).

The thing with the YGH card game is that it's never had as much consistency in templating and keywording as even Alpha edition MtG had, and it because it's modeled on the show they've never bothered to actually make or use an in-depth type system like Magic creatures/tribal. As the mechanics go in new directions, stuff that Magic would easily handle with keywords and ability words (and actual use of types instead of giving specific card names) turns into tiny magnifying glass text.

Some examples:

50 pounds of bread
Sep 27, 2006

Hate to burst your guys land bubble, but that mountain in the background is obv dragonskull summit. Dorks.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Goblin Piledriver exists you know, but then again I'd love to have it in a new set so I can use it in Modern.

A little bit much to call that an answer, I think.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

C-Euro posted:

Piledriver's nowhere near as good as it used to be, and it's not an all-star like those two are.

GonSmithe
Apr 25, 2010

Perhaps it's in the nature of television. Just waves in space.

:wtf:

whydirt
Apr 18, 2001

Gaz Posting Brigade :c00lbert:
The new block could be tribal focused, but I thought I've heard Maro or someone else say that R&D prefers it as a secondary theme like in Innistrad rather than making it the Big Idea that the block revolves around.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
Remember that yugioh cards are smaller than magic cards. I'd like to see the german version of that.

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

I'd be outraged too, if I could read it.

Boxman
Sep 27, 2004

Big fan of :frog:

Holy poo poo "Excaliburn" is a good name.

I like that the Khans set symbol is two-toned. It explains how they're going to continue making unique looking expansion symbols that aren't just overlaying two symbols on of each other.

And for posterity:

BLUE STEEL

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

I actually speak fluent Yu-Gi-OH! as well as Magic, allow me to translate:

BTW, those are accurate rarities.

EDIT: This is fun. Look how much cleaner keywords make things, kids!

Shrecknet fucked around with this message at 21:02 on May 18, 2014

Elyv
Jun 14, 2013

I'm pretty sure I understood the rest of these cards but I have no idea what this does.

qbert
Oct 23, 2003

It's both thrilling and terrifying.
I know it's impossible, but can the "thing they've never done that fans want" be printing Urza and Mishra as Planeswalkers?

Probably just the nostalgia talking.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

qbert posted:

I know it's impossible, but can the "thing they've never done that fans want" be printing Urza and Mishra as Planeswalkers?

Considering both are very, very dead, I'm going to go with no.

Korak
Nov 29, 2007
TV FACIST
I've been messing with my own version of Nam's Junk Constellation deck and it is legitimately one of the more fun decks out there.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Elyv posted:

I'm pretty sure I understood the rest of these cards but I have no idea what this does.

Equipped creature has shroud.

During your turn, as long as this is not the same turn as excaliburn was sent to the graveyard and you control a (super monster for which mtg does not have an equivalent), you may exile this card and sacrifice (super monster). If you do, search your library for (different super monster), and put it onto the battlefield. Shuffle your library afterward.

Dr. Stab
Sep 12, 2010
👨🏻‍⚕️🩺🔪🙀😱🙀
The dragons are also dead. I don't think that means much. Also, the thing they haven't done that players want is contraptions.

vOv
Feb 8, 2014

It's a snake with arms that are also snakes, and then those snakes' tongues are also snakes

Otherkinsey Scale
Jul 17, 2012

Just a little bit of sunshine!

Unless I'm misreading "cannot be targeted by an opponent's card effects", it would give the knight hexproof too, right?

Ramos
Jul 3, 2012

Everblight posted:

I actually speak fluent Yu-Gi-OH! as well as Magic, allow me to translate:

BTW, those are accurate rarities.

EDIT: This is fun. Look how much cleaner keywords make things, kids!

:psyduck:

Thanks for translating, I'm rather glad I stopped playing Yugioh as a teenager, because loving hell, that game just feels messy as hell from just looking at those few cards.

And to think my deck was just largely vanilla warriors with some tricky magicians on the beat down.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Retcon
Jun 23, 2010

qbert posted:

They want dead characters to actually stay dead and Mishra never was a Planeswalker. So yeah, chances seem low. I'm still holding out for a proper Urza card in a supplemental product, though.

• Locked thread