Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
sorry you can probably find a job you won't be offered. no offense intended.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

Galler posted:

The only acceptable alternative to the current Top Gear cast would be to just fire all three of them and hire Freiburger and Finnegan to just make Roadkill full time.

Chris Harris does the slidy stuff.

Roadkill do the crazy rear end challenges

RCR does the cheap car reviews.

MCM does The News

I have come up with literally the greatest car show.... in the world. Gimme royalty money pls.

sean10mm
Jun 29, 2005

It's a Mad, Mad, Mad, MAD-2R World
Replace Clarkson with Danica Patrick, problem solved, hail Satan. :getin:

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Jimmy Carr. He's got the right name and everything.

Anarchist Mae
Nov 5, 2009

by Reene
Lipstick Apathy

I got that in an argument in AusPol where I was arguing with a bigot who didn't want same sex marriage. His name also starts with an M, some other poster gave it to me by accident and I've been too broke to bother fixing it.

I have a more important question for you, does BrokenKnucklez really have sand up his vagina? Does kastein really have chemical weapons in his air intake?

There's a world of difference between saying a racist word (even intentionally) and actually being a racist. But there's not so much difference between saying stupid things on the internet and actually being stupid. See yourself for reference.

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

West SAAB Story posted:

shut up you are all niggers with no jobs

Such a ridiculous situation. To give one word so much power that to even utter something that resembles it creates a huge deal is nonsensical. Then when you combine it with the fact that it's an evergreen staple in hip-hop and rap, it begs the question -- how black do you have to be before you can say the bad word?

Unless there's some kind of joke attached to the story, because Clarkson's on-screen persona is based on being offensive... so BBC is either going to fire him directly, or let it blow over and the threat is really just hyperbole.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

Clarkson owned up to it, laid everything out, and seemed contrite in his apology. I certainly wasn't... impressed by the situation, but he did the right things.

meatpimp posted:

Such a ridiculous situation. To give one word so much power that to even utter something that resembles it creates a huge deal is nonsensical. Then when you combine it with the fact that it's an evergreen staple in hip-hop and rap, it begs the question -- how black do you have to be before you can say the bad word?

I don't get why people have to always bring up this point. It's a word that's very hurtful to a large population and has serious historical connotations. I've been on both sides of the word - It's been thrown at me as a slur and as a term of endearment... but it's not a word I'd ever use in public. There's nothing to be 'gained' by being able to say the word. Why is it so difficult to for you to accept and let sleeping dogs lie?

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 21:41 on May 3, 2014

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

meatpimp posted:

so BBC is either going to fire him directly, or let it blow over and the threat is really just hyperbole.

I can't see them firing him. He costs bajillions of dollars NOT related to payroll.

Also, I think you need to be blacker than Vanilla Ice. Just a bit, though.

AfricanBootyShine posted:

I don't get why people have to always bring up this point. It's a word that's very hurtful to a large population and has serious historical connotations. I've been on both sides of the word - It's been thrown at me as a slur and as a term of endearment... but it's not a word I'd ever use in public. There's nothing to be 'gained' by being able to say the word. Why is it so difficult to let sleeping dogs lie?

Good to have this insight, African Booty Shine. :v:

meatpimp
May 15, 2004

Psst -- Wanna buy

:) EVERYWHERE :)
some high-quality thread's DESTROYED!

:kheldragar:

West SAAB Story posted:

Good to have this insight, African Booty Shine. :v:

meatpimp is quietly giggling at his computer.

AfricanBootyShine posted:

Why is it so difficult to for you to accept and let sleeping dogs lie?

Because it can't be both ways. You can't have a two syllable combination of sounds simultaneously be either a magic button of endearment or reprehensibly foul. There's no such thing as "equality," there never has been and there never will be. People are of different socioeconomic, geographical, cultural groups and each one collectively has opinions about the others. You can make a strong argument that the hispanic and/or asian groups are more oppressed in the US than blacks, yet if the subject of racism is broached, black vs. all comes to the forefront.

Your comments support that. I don't go to D&D, though, because this is all nonsense that has no real solution, so I won't derail this thread any further, other than to say that I've got the entire last season of Top Gear saved on my DVR and haven't had/made the opportunity to watch it... but the whole "catching a nhumhumhum" thing has reminded me to watch it.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

meatpimp posted:

You can't have a two syllable combination of sounds simultaneously be either a magic button of endearment or reprehensibly foul.

Why not? It's how it is, whether you agree with it or not. Whether it's logical or not has no bearing on how the word has been used. Its meaning is a consequence of its historical usage.

quote:

You can make a strong argument that the hispanic and/or asian groups are more oppressed in the US than blacks, yet if the subject of racism is broached, black vs. all comes to the forefront.

I never said anything that alluded to this. I hold the same opinion on most other racial and homophobic slurs.

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 20:46 on May 3, 2014

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW

"dog snacks" is already taken. By two words. :v:

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

sup dog snack

EDIT:did your title just change

AfricanBootyShine fucked around with this message at 20:51 on May 3, 2014

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
yep it did

probably bought by some friend of the family. :v:

e: probably not because it cost :10bux: thats like half a rock am i rite?

Viggen fucked around with this message at 21:01 on May 3, 2014

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
Boy this is getting extremely racist.

AfricanBootyShine
Jan 9, 2006

Snake wins.

I'm more impressed with the amount of titles being bought.

Viggen
Sep 10, 2010

by XyloJW
eventually i'll end up with a good one. someone gotta put the time in.

Rude Dude With Tude
Apr 19, 2007

Your President approves this text.
I hope whoever leaked the video got a hefty payout from The Mirror, because if they get found out they're never working in TV again. There's tonnes of offensive poo poo in rushes that'd never make it to air, maybe not racist poo poo but still stuff you can never broadcast because OFCOM would loving end you.

Ariza
Feb 8, 2006
I think what he said is horrible. Even if he didn't actually say the word, the sentiment was still there. I think he should not receive another cent from the viewing public.

I think what he said is not horrible. He's an old man and he didn't actually say the word. They hired a loving forensic speech expert on their own dime so it's obvious someone just had an axe to grind.

peepeepants
Oct 9, 2001

I hope that after I die, people will say of me: "That guy sure owed me a lot of money."

Thank you Top Gear for the great segment on the McLaren P1. Otherwise I wouldn't have recognized this on my way home tonight. (sorry for the lovely cell phone quality)

Outside Dawg
Feb 24, 2013
Season 20 is up on Netflix.

SpicyUnagi
Jun 18, 2012

Outside Dawg posted:

Season 20 is up on Netflix.

I've been chomping at the bit for the new season to show up on Netflix. The last special episode was great.

Mister Kingdom
Dec 14, 2005

And the tears that fall
On the city wall
Will fade away
With the rays of morning light
A group of lawyers is going to write letters to President Obama and ambassadors of over 200 countries to review the Clarkson video and ask them to consider banning the show from being broadcast in those countries.

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Doesnt really bother me, I dont watch the bastardized version on BBC America anyway.

Powershift
Nov 23, 2009

I'm surprised the BBC hasn't mandated that they need a female host yet, anyways.

Coming soon: Top gear series 23 with hosts, richard hammond, james may, and jo brand.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Powershift posted:

I'm surprised the BBC hasn't mandated that they need a female host yet, anyways.

Coming soon: Top gear series 23 with hosts, richard hammond, james may, and jo brand.

But they already have one? :confused:

True story, several months ago I had shown that gif of James looking down the barrel of a rifle and the other two recoiling in horror while his handler immediately snatched it away to my coworkers. The other day one of them (who has no idea what TG or anything related to it are) goes, "Hey, what was that gif you showed us a while ago with that woman pointing the gun at her face?"

nmfree
Aug 15, 2001

The Greater Goon: Breaking Hearts and Chains since 2006

Data Graham posted:

Commence 6 pages of the thread arguing who it would really be.

hopterque
Mar 9, 2007

sup
James May IS a pretty lady.

mod sassinator
Dec 13, 2006
I came here to Kick Ass and Chew Bubblegum,
and I'm All out of Ass
Get Sabine Schmitz on so the boys can be as sexist as they want and she'll put them in their place on the track. Maybe female stig?

Fayez Butts
Aug 24, 2006

Jo Brand would make a sick co host so that's ok.

My Lovely Horse
Aug 21, 2010

Data Graham posted:

See also: Achewood.

Sair
May 11, 2007

Powershift posted:

Is this a thing?

Seizure Meat
Jul 23, 2008

by Smythe
Didn't Clarkson get in trouble a few weeks ago for making a joke using "slope" while in an Asian country?

He seems more than just a casual racist, which is hilarious given the things he's said about Americans.

It must suck being an old school Brit knowing that you're completely irrelevant on the world stage in a lot of ways, which is probably a radical departure from the country he grew up in.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
I've been to the UK a few times and it's a lovely place with great people but holy poo poo they have a) undergone a ton of changes in the last few decades and b) turned into what appears to be a nation of Nancy Graces. I don't get it.

I mean, of course Clarkson is racist in that old-man way. This is not news. Getting angry at him for being old-man racist is though, apparently.

Sair
May 11, 2007

He's not that old though, he just looks like he's melting.

CAT INTERCEPTOR
Nov 9, 2004

Basically a male Margaret Thatcher

wilfredmerriweathr posted:

I mean, of course Clarkson is racist in that old-man way. This is not news. Getting angry at him for being old-man racist is though, apparently.

Why is being old used as an excuse for being racist? Old people are just as capable of realising they are wrong as anyone else - yeah attiudes change and what society fnds acceptinbe changes - but just because you are over 50 doesnt give anyone licence to be a stupid idiot.

wilfredmerriweathr
Jul 11, 2005
It's not an excuse. It's just that it's not surprising when old people are racist. Because they are from an era that was [more] racist. I'm not waving it away by saying he's old (though he's not that old), I'm just saying that if you didn't expect someone from his generation to be - on average - more racist than someone born in the 1990s, you're missing the big picture of how society changes.

This is all beside the point though, because it's pretty obvious he didn't try to be racist and just let something that he was clearly raised with slip out. People were literally taught that nursery rhyme as babies and young children, so of course it sticks around - that's just the era he was raised in.

I didn't even know that that line was originally that word. I was raised with "catch a tiger by the toe" but hell it kinda makes sense now that I think about it. In fact, I hadn't thought about that nursery rhyme since I was about 10 until this thing blew up, and yet I still remember it word for word - just like Clarkson.

Isn't there a BBC radio DJ that just got fired for playing a classic song from like 60+ years ago with the same word in it? The UK can be so loving reactionary over poo poo like that, it's crazy. One of the stories I read about it mentioned that clarkson might as well have "given two fingers" to the African community, and I couldn't help but laugh because that statement in and of itself just shows how different words or gestures can be depending on where in the world you are. Giving the American "peace" sign means "gently caress you" in the UK, which is as good an illustration as any of why people that do or say things that might be considered offensive in their region/social circle/era should not be labeled as hateful simply for what they said or gestured. It's about the intent, which I kinda assumed most adults could understand but apparently that's asking too much of a lot of people.

So in conclusion: excuse? No. Explanation? Yes. He slipped up, he made sure it didn't air, what more do people want from him?

GutBomb
Jun 15, 2005

Dude?
Well the V for victory and the peace sign are not actually the same gesture. The V has the back of the hand displayed, peace has the front.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

Ok but in Japan

Also I'm pretty sure "V for victory" is not the back-of-the-hand gesture. That's something else.

Churchill was a sarcastic rear end though and gave the Yanks what he said was the victory sign, heh heh.

Or so I have read

Data Graham fucked around with this message at 13:16 on May 15, 2014

Ola
Jul 19, 2004

There is some degree of politics or celebrity power dynamics at play here. You don't see teams of lawyers gathered to strike at Italian football fans, even if they make monkey noises and throw bananas at black players. But if a celebrity is looking vulnerable, the wolves circle. If you become rich, globally famous and have a runny mouth, you're going to have some powerful enemies. They way they fraternize and backstab each other makes politics/media/showbiz seem like today's version of Machiavelli's princes and clergy.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Preoptopus
Aug 25, 2008

Три полоски,
три по три полоски
Replacing Hammond.
http://topgear-magazine.com/post/86020400687/replacing-hammond