Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rygar201
Jan 26, 2011
I AM A TERRIBLE PIECE OF SHIT.

Please Condescend to me like this again.

Oh yeah condescend to me ALL DAY condescend daddy.

SwingShift posted:

Edit: I guess the descendents of black slaves could work something out with the Native Americans.

This has historically not worked out well for the black folks in question

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Subvisual Haze
Nov 22, 2003

The building was on fire and it wasn't my fault.

Alkydere posted:

Which works out great when you have the Joker who won't stop killing people. I remember being a bit confused and outraged as a kid watching the Saturday morning cartoon Batman where the Joker's schemes involved using laughing gas that made people laugh until they die. So the Joker would launch loving gas attacks on Gotham and all he gets is locked away in the super special minimum security prison for people Batman beats up.

Batman is one giant stealth argument in favor of capital punishment, particularly for the mentally ill.

JediTalentAgent
Jun 5, 2005
Hey, look. Look, if- if you screw me on this, I shall become more powerful than you can possibly imagine, you rat bastard!

keiran_helcyan posted:

Batman is one giant stealth argument in favor of capital punishment, particularly for the mentally ill.

Why is Metropolis such a great city? Because in the animated series, Metropolis isn't scared to execute murderers.

SwingShift
Apr 27, 2013

Rygar201 posted:

This has historically not worked out well for the black folks in question

True, but I'd like to think the circumstances were a bit different back then than they would be in this hypothetical future land argument. Basically my point is is that of all the people that should get the Americas back, it probably should not be Britain and France.

SwingShift fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 17, 2014

Jeedy Jay
Nov 8, 2012

Alkydere posted:

Which works out great when you have the Joker who won't stop killing people. I remember being a bit confused and outraged as a kid watching the Saturday morning cartoon Batman where the Joker's schemes involved using laughing gas that made people laugh until they die. So the Joker would launch loving gas attacks on Gotham and all he gets is locked away in the super special minimum security prison for people Batman beats up.

Gotham is a Ravenloft Domain, and Batman is it's Domain Lord. :spergin:

Spacedad posted:

I kind of feel like the 'money = speech' ruling will eventually lead to a clever lawyer or judge setting precedent with 'okay, therefore, we need to fairly redistribute an equal amount of 'speech' to everyone' which will cause much head-explosioning.

Finding ways to treat speech more like money sounds like great material for a "Modest Proposal"-type political satire.

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound

Time to read Zinn posted:

http://www.nationalreview.com/article/378172/harrys-dirty-amendment-charles-c-w-cooke

quote:

...popular among the sort of people who like slogans and who believe that chanting is a vital part of any serious political movement...
Thoughts?
USA! USA!

Chokes McGee
Aug 7, 2008

This is Urotsuki.

JediTalentAgent posted:

Why is Metropolis such a great city? Because in the animated series, Metropolis isn't scared to execute murderers.

Yes, but they also have to deal with a spite-fueled despot who has mastery over a cosmic force that can cause people's brains to shut down and become puppets for whatever whim he has.

But, enough about Rush Limbaugh. They have to deal with Darkseid, too!

Star Man
Jun 1, 2008

There's a star maaaaaan
Over the rainbow

Alkydere posted:

Isn't Mystery Men a great movie?

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

Drill Baby Drill! Drill Baby Drill! Drill Baby Drill!

Dr.Zeppelin fucked around with this message at 22:59 on May 18, 2014

psychic chasms
Oct 23, 2012

SCREWED UP CLICK TILL THEY LAY ME IN MY CASKET

Dr.Zeppelin posted:

Drill Baby Drill! Drill Baby Drill! Drill Baby Drill!

One of my strongest political memories post-9/11 is my dad getting crawling drunk while watching the 2004 Republican convention and chanting "Screw the French! Screw the French!" after Bush went on stage to speak. Certainly seemed serious to me at the time.

Spacedad
Sep 11, 2001

We go play orbital catch around the curvature of the earth, son.

Technical Analysis posted:

Little of column A, little of column B. If you look into deep enough, it's likely that Arkham is a privately funded prison managed by a subsidiary of Wayne Enterprises. Whenever Batman gets bored he has a criminal released so he can go beat them up. If he's having a bad week at the office, gently caress it, let's have a full prison break.

I wonder how the Joker* would feel finding out he's really just been the patsy for a hosed up billionaire's bizarre vigilante fantasy.

*Probably too mentally ill to notice or care.

Dr Christmas
Apr 24, 2010

Berninating the one percent,
Berninating the Wall St.
Berninating all the people
In their high rise penthouses!
🔥😱🔥🔫👴🏻

Spacedad posted:

I wonder how the Joker* would feel finding out he's really just been the patsy for a hosed up billionaire's bizarre vigilante fantasy.

The Joker is already pretty sure this is true.

Pope Guilty
Nov 6, 2006

The human animal is a beautiful and terrible creature, capable of limitless compassion and unfathomable cruelty.

Spacedad posted:

He'd be a very different person if that was the sort of realization that had the slightest possibility of bothering him.

My Q-Face
Jul 8, 2002

A dumb racist who need to kill themselves

Jeedy Jay posted:

Gotham is a Ravenloft Domain, and Batman is it's Domain Lord. :spergin:

Finding ways to treat speech more like money sounds like great material for a "Modest Proposal"-type political satire.

It's pretty clearly a ruling that everybody's speech is equal, some people are just more equal.

Spacedad posted:

He's probably perfectly aware of it...

My Q-Face fucked around with this message at 09:13 on May 19, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
i'm trying to sneak around
but i'm dummy thicc
and the clap of my ass cheeks
keeps alerting the guards!
:lol:

Right Wing Watch continues to stymie the two twin brother bigots who are doing the crybaby tour after their planned reality show got shitcanned by HGTV, which was brought on by a RWW report about them and their fathers pretty out there protests against gay and muslims. Note what happens when Alan Colmes delves deep into the journalists playbook and tries a little known maneuver from yesteryear called "a follow up question"

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/understanding-benham-familys-expression-love

quote:

On Friday, Alan Colmes interviewed David and Jason Benham about the on-going controversy over the cancellation of their HGTV program due to their anti-gay, anti-choice, and anti-Islam activism.

For the last two weeks, the Benham brothers have been complaining that they were the victims of a "smear campaign" build on "complete lies" and when Colmes finally asked David to explain just how they had been lied about, David asserted that "Right Wing Watch published the fact that we said 'God hates Muslims,' that is a complete and total lie."

Ironically, the only lie here is from David, as we never asserted that he or Jason said that "God hates Muslims." What we did explain in our post was that their father, Flip, had organized protests outside of mosques where protesters screamed "Jesus hates Muslims."

Later in the interview, Colmes pointed out to David that we were talking about the protests organized by his father and never attributed that statement to him or to Jason, but David still asserted that it was untrue because "my dad would never say 'God hates Muslims'"

We find that a little hard to believe since Flip Benham is notorious for his anti-Islam protests, such as this one where he stood outside of a mosque with a PA system in order to inform the Muslims in attendance that he had come "not to dialogue with you [but] to slay your false god"

http://youtu.be/FIqYKDP3lK0

Yep, no hate there. Move along.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
The great thing about shitbags who insist that everything is a cut and dry/black and white dichotomy is that they usually don't have the toolset to deal with nuance.

And hey look at that, it really is cut and dry that they're usually the dipshit that they're claiming not to be.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

Intel&Sebastian posted:

:lol:

Right Wing Watch continues to stymie the two twin brother bigots who are doing the crybaby tour after their planned reality show got shitcanned by HGTV, which was brought on by a RWW report about them and their fathers pretty out there protests against gay and muslims. Note what happens when Alan Colmes delves deep into the journalists playbook and tries a little known maneuver from yesteryear called "a follow up question"

http://www.rightwingwatch.org/content/understanding-benham-familys-expression-love

Yep, no hate there. Move along.

You know what I love about these type of stories? You almost always have some douchebag consertive(s) whining about how the LIBRUL MEDIA!!! is trying to slander them, but whenever they're given an opportunity to defend and elaborate their position, they always whine and go "WHA?? I NEVER SAID THAT YOU COMMIE GESTAPOS!". It shows that even these fucks realize that their opinions wouldn't really get much sympathy from the public.

Miltank
Dec 27, 2009

by XyloJW

My Q-Face posted:

It's pretty clearly a ruling that everybody's speech is equal, some people are just more equal.

He's probably perfectly aware of it...

whoa awesome

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

Mr Interweb posted:

You know what I love about these type of stories? You almost always have some douchebag consertive(s) whining about how the LIBRUL MEDIA!!! is trying to slander them, but whenever they're given an opportunity to defend and elaborate their position, they always whine and go "WHA?? I NEVER SAID THAT YOU COMMIE GESTAPOS!". It shows that even these fucks realize that their opinions wouldn't really get much sympathy from the public.

I think it's less malice and more sloth. They know exactly why HGTV dropped their poo poo, there are more gays buying stuff from their advertisers than mouth breathing christian Jihadists. So now that they aren't going to get famous doing a reality show they want to get famous for being the lamest martyrs ever. They're on a publicity tour and gently caress if they're going to spend the time to explain why and how they've been wronged, 99% of the places they're visiting don't give a gently caress about it so why should they?

They're two christians who didn't get a toy that someone promised them because of how intensely christian they are and the whiny gays. Only an idiot like Alan Colmes would need that explained further. Duh. :rolleyes: Just throw him a bone, "I don't know, I probably never said it. The liberal media lies...what? They didn't say I said that. Jesus loving Christ Alan, what are you a walking wikipedia? Fine then OUR DAD never said it. Happy? Have we successfully bullshitted long enough to get you to stop asking us why we're bullshitting?"

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 20:52 on May 19, 2014

Fuckt Tupp
Apr 19, 2007

Science

Former New Hampshire Police Commissioner posted:

‘‘I believe I did use the ‘N’ word in reference to the current occupant of the Whitehouse,’’ Copeland said in a April e-mail that was sent to the two other commissioners and forwarded to the resident. ‘‘For this, I do not apologize — he meets and exceeds my criteria for such.’’

I think this may have been mentioned earlier in the thread, but he's officially resigned now after initially refusing for the above reasoning.

Source.

Phone
Jul 30, 2005

親子丼をほしい。
Somehow I doubt that the police commissioner is Chris Rock...

When R-Money is calling you out, the gig might be up.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
That case is kind of cool because it's a nice example of a public N-Bomb exchange that's light on the usual "FREE SPEEEECH! I didn't say that and also it's my 1st amendment right to keep my job if I did say it, racism is over, black people say it all the tiiiiiiiiiiime!!!" cloud of bullshit.

He said it, he admits it, he's got reasoning for it that he feels gives him cover for doing so, but more importantly he's trying to defend it while furiously running away from it. I accept that completely, and agree it's his 1st amendment right to sit back in a local diner booth and complain about niggers. Now his constituents get to exercise their free speech on what they think about that.

Same with Donald Sterling, he can say whatever he pleases about black people. Just like black people can say whatever they want about him. It's a bummer that it came to light the way it did but there's a bigger issue than his privacy and the court of public opinion doesn't strike evidence based on how it was gathered.

woke wedding drone
Jun 1, 2003

by exmarx
Fun Shoe

some commenter posted:

I agree with you, but as usual only partially. Yes, some, maybe even most, white people dislike the changing demographics of the country. I do. It's not necessarily a racial issue, as we are also losing much of our culture and the feeling of security that comes with it. And, let's be honest, the country is hardly headed in the right direction. As far as calling for Copeland's head, no one should be punished for a private conversation. Which of us, after all, could claim that if our conversations were disseminated we would survive unscathed -- especially in this climate?

Where on earth does this sentiment come from?

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.

quote:

RUSH: You know, when I first moved to Sacramento, California, 1984, and began what would become this program, it was October, I think, 15th of 1984. I think that's the anniversary start date. And of course I was in town for a month prior in and out. One of the things that you do as a newly arrived air personality is get familiar with the town. It's a talk show, people would be calling about local things. This is when I offered to move to Rio Linda if they would rename it Limbaugh, California. They didn't. I tried the same thing with West Sacramento. They refused the offer. They're still paying the price, both places.

Anyway, I'm driving around to learn about the community, who lives where, what the various neighborhoods are, two military bases at the time, and it's how I found Rio Linda, accidentally. I was driving around one of the military bases and Rio Linda was nearby. I saw the population sign. Well, I saw the city limits sign but there was no population. Normally the number of people that live there is on the sign. And it just said "Rio Linda." So I drove through it, and that's when I saw what I saw. Washing machines and automobiles up on concrete blocks in the front porch of houses on the main drag.

I went back and said, "You gotta tell me about Rio Linda. What is the story of Rio Linda?" And I got the low-down on Rio Linda and I've since put 'em on the map. Well, shortly after doing the program I quickly learned there's a regular caller, or was. I think his name was Dave, but I'm not sure. He called every show in town, and he had one thing that he cared about. He believed that fluoride in the drinking water was a communist plot, much like in Dr. Strangelove. He thought the communists were corrupting our precious bodily fluids and that they were doing it with fluoride.

I had never heard of the fluoride conspiracy until arriving in Sacramento, so I had to do some fast acting and learn about the fluoride conspiracy. It was part of the New World Order, part of the Trilateral Commission one-world government, I learned, that put fluoride in the drinking water and somehow it enables David Rockefeller and Zbigniew Brzezinski to take over the world. And that's all this guy called about. I tried to have as much fun with it as I could, but after a while regular callers are not kosher because it doesn't sound like anybody else is calling if they get on all the time. So I issued a hard fast rule that this guy gets on once a year.

Well, that infuriated him. When he did get through he just really doubled down on the theory.
I dispatched with it, I cast it aside and effectively removed it as a topic 'cause it was fringe and not the kind of thing I was interested in. So imagine my surprise, I'm doing show prep over the weekend, and I run across this headline: "Harvard Study Confirms Fluoride Reduces Children's IQ." And then imagine my surprise after reading this, I found out in the comments that a lot of people believe it.

"A recently-published Harvard University meta-analysis funded by the National Institutes of Health (NIH) has concluded that children who live in areas with highly fluoridated water have 'significantly lower' IQ scores than those who live in low fluoride areas. In a 32-page report that can be downloaded free of charge from Environmental Health Perspectives, the researchers said: A recent report from the U.S. National Research Council (NRC 2006) concluded that adverse effects of high fluoride concentrations in drinking water may be of concern and that additional research is warranted." Of course it is.

"To summarize the available literature, we performed a systematic review and meta-analysis of published studies." And they found that "effects of fluoride on your brain include: Damage to your hippocampus, reduction in lipid content, exacerbation of lesions induced by iodine deficiency, impaired antioxidant defense systems." In other words, you get stupider, your IQ plummets the more fluoride in your system. It's back. The whole thing is recycling again, and it's been given credibility here as having come from Harvard. And now people are glomming on to it. This is cutting-edge society stuff here, folks. Just want to warn that you may be hearing about this.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/05/19/conspiracy_kooks_who_believe_fluoride_saps_precious_bodily_fluids_given_boost_by_harvard
Yes Limbaugh, you ran across this headline a year ago (or two, but who gives a gently caress) and just had to tell everyone about it today in the Year of Our Lord 2014.

quote:

RUSH: Do you know what the minimum wage in Switzerland is? Anybody in there want to take a guess? What is the minimum wage in Switzerland? There isn't one. No. No. Zero. There is no minimum wage. (interruption) Yeah. Interesting question. How in the world is anybody employed without a minimum wage? How does anybody live without a minimum wage? How in the world can that be possible? I mean, no minimum wage? How do people live?

So they just had a referendum to establish a minimum wage of $25 an hour. And many people thought, "Well, that's a slam dunk," because it's Switzerland. It bombed. The vast majority of voters in Switzerland rejected a $25 minimum wage in a national referendum. Switzerland, you may not know this because they've got this big neutrality thing going, they don't choose sides. Switzerland is totally free market. Switzerland, the majority rules, as in democracy.

They do not meddle in global affairs under the guise of "humanitarian, liberating, and democracy-spreading." The don't do any of that. In other words, as Zero Hedge writes, "If you want a country that respects free markets, believes in listening to the voice of the majority, and is against meddling in global affairs," move to Switzerland.

"If you want a country controlled by a few academic central-planners with no real world experience, in which the executive usurps power issuing one executive order after another with zero checks and balances, and which will incite a global war if it must with the help of doctored YouTube clips in order to achieve its global national interest, then move... anywhere else.

"Six months ago, it was this same Switzerland that, contrary to the prerogatives of the pervasive 'fairness doctrine' taking the new socialist world by storm, rejected imposing limits on executive pay. Then mere hours ago, in a move that would give president Obama wealth redistribution nightmares for months, a whopping 77% of Swiss voters rejected an initiative for a national minimum wage of 22 francs, or just under $25, per hour, according to projection by Swiss television SRF. And confirming that when it comes to anti-socialism, Switzerland may well be the last bastion.

"How dare Switzerland not pretend supply and demand doesn't matter and one can circumvent the laws of common sense and enforce employment and wages by diktat? Simple: Government ministers have fought against the measure and insisted it will damage the economy, running small companies out of business and making it harder for young people to find employment."

Economic Minister Johann Schneider-Ammann told The Christian Science Monitor. "A minimum wage won’t stop poverty. This system would be counterproductive." Switzerland currently has no minimum wage, but you know what the median hourly wage is in Switzerland? Median, meaning there are as many above -- $37 an hour. Median wage, $37. Now, remember, they don't have a defense department. They're neutral. They don't get involved in foreign entanglements but they've got no minimum wage.

"How do they do it? How do they do it, Mr. Limbaugh, with no minimum wage? How do people survive in Switzerland? How does a family of four survive with no minimum wage?"

Well, you see what happens in Switzerland, if you want to get a job, you have to learn how to do something. Not just show up.
And then after you get the job, you do have to show up, but you have to learn to do something. If you get a job in Switzerland, you are essentially agreeing that you're going to work. (interruption) It is a great concept. It is a great concept worth emulating. Yeah, I don't know. We'll have to find the guy that came up with this. Can you imagine how mad Obama's gonna get when he finds out that Switzerland voted down by 77% a minimum wage, of anything, 25 bucks an hour? And then when he learns there isn't a minimum wage? Would you want to be the person that has to tell him that?

Washington Post. Headline: "Federal Health-Care Subsidies May Be Too High Or Too Low For More Than 1 Million Americans -- The government may be paying incorrect subsidies to more than 1 million Americans for their health plans in the new federal insurance marketplace and has been unable so far to fix the errors, according to internal documents and three people familiar with the situation."

Wait 'til Obama finds out about this one. Wait 'til Obama finds out that a lot of people are being subsidized much more than they are owed according to the plan. Wait'll they find out. Wait'll they have to go tell him that only three people knew about this. Obama didn't know that people were being subsidized unfairly, getting more than they should.

It says here in the Washington Post: "The government has identified these discrepancies but is stuck at the moment. Under federal rules, consumers are notified if there is a problem with their application and asked to upload or mail in pay stubs or other proof of their income. Only a fraction have done so, according to the documents. And, even when they have, the federal computer system at the heart of the insurance marketplace cannot match this proof with the application because that capability has yet to be built."

This is incredible! We're over-subsidizing over a million people, and even when people send in proof it can't be matched up. And they had three years to build this website, and once again, a blatant demonstration of the rampant, total incompetence of this administration to run anything. But they're trying, and they really want people to get subsidized right. They want people to have health care. They really care. At least they're trying. And that's how they get through all this.

The unemployment rate in Switzerland, with no minimum wage, is 3.2%.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/05/19/the_swiss_reject_setting_a_minimum_wage
That's right libtards, if you just get rid of the minimum wage and fix the Obummercare website then the unemployment rate will drop like a stone. :smuggo:

He also sucked Gowdy's dick about asking the right questions with respect to BENGHAZI but it was basically the same poo poo on a different day. Also one moron caller that was being contracted by the Georgia DOT to maintain some traffic lights that argued that the private sector could do everything better on those public roads she is helping maintain at the behest of a government paycheck.

kik2dagroin fucked around with this message at 21:28 on May 19, 2014

thefncrow
Mar 14, 2001

SedanChair posted:

It comes from dealing with bigots who hold opinions that would be criticized harshly if known publicly who desperately want to avoid being sanctioned for those beliefs. They want their private conversations to be off-limits because that's the place where they still free to express their hateful bigoted opinions.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

SedanChair posted:

People who voice bigoted opinions in private and are afraid of getting called out on it?

Edit: also, that guy is totally a racist, what with the reference to "white" culture.

Tarezax fucked around with this message at 21:35 on May 19, 2014

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc

SedanChair posted:

I think people confuse the idea of being able to deny things like a leaked Sterling call and the idea that things like the leaked Sterling call should be considered inadmissible to anyone who hears it just because it was leaked, for all time and purposes.

In polite society we should hold our judgement until we've got some kind of solid confirmation (e.g. the exasperated sports reporters having to constantly remind eachother to say "allegedly" or "purported" or whatever). But after you confirm it's you on the phone, or in the restaurant booth and yeah you said don't bring blacks to the Staples center or that Obama's a friend of the family...well now we're talking about two separate issues.

Yep it's lovely that your girlfriend taped your phone conversation and sent it to TMZ. You should go ahead and do something about that. Doesn't change what you said in the eyes of the rest of the world, bummer for you but guess what offends people more?

Edit: And to the "Who among us would survive such a violation???". Uh, I would. I would expect most people would. It's that "context" thing you idiots think is just some magic word. Just based on this post a headline would be accurate if it said "Intel&Sebastian uses n-word on something awful forums". If TMZ put a camera in my face and said "WHY'D YOU CALL OBAMA A friend of the family!?!?!" I would explain that I used it while describing Sherrif Copeland yelling in a restaurant.

Intel&Sebastian fucked around with this message at 21:44 on May 19, 2014

Raskolnikov38
Mar 3, 2007

We were somewhere around Manila when the drugs began to take hold
I wonder why Rush didn't mention some of the other things Switzerland voted on the other day? You know like the one about giving everyone in Switzerland speedy access to high quality medical care :allears:

Davethulhu
Aug 12, 2003

Morbid Hound
Also:

quote:

Switzerland, as a country, actually does not have a minimum wage written into law. It does have collective bargaining agreements between its workers and management and almost the entire population is covered by it. The minimum salary of skilled workers ranges from 2,800 to 5,300 Swiss francs, while that of unskilled workers may be anywhere between 2,200 to 4,200 Swiss francs.

http://www.therichest.com/business/the-top-10-countries-with-the-highest-minimum-wages/

Zuhzuhzombie!!
Apr 17, 2008
FACTS ARE A CONSPIRACY BY THE CAPITALIST OPRESSOR
Google says that's roughly 2.5 - 5K a month.

Which is basically anywhere between 15 and 25 dollars an hour anyway, so a large portion of their unskilled laborers are already making the amount of money that was in the law to begin with.

Deptfordx
Dec 23, 2013

kik2dagroin posted:

RUSH: This is when I offered to move to Rio Linda if they would rename it Limbaugh, California. They didn't. I tried the same thing with West Sacramento. They refused the offer. They're still paying the price, both place

Wait!What? He wanted towns renamed after himself. Is he joking or did he actually try this.

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Well it depends, are you just a regular person asking if he did it? Or perhaps a fan who might find that kind of thing cool? Then yes he did it.

Are you a group of people large enough to influence a seller of food insurance? Then it was a joke.

Mr Interweb
Aug 25, 2004

kik2dagroin posted:

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/05/19/conspiracy_kooks_who_believe_fluoride_saps_precious_bodily_fluids_given_boost_by_harvard
Yes Limbaugh, you ran across this headline a year ago (or two, but who gives a gently caress) and just had to tell everyone about it today in the Year of Our Lord 2014.

http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/05/19/the_swiss_reject_setting_a_minimum_wage
That's right libtards, if you just get rid of the minimum wage and fix the Obummercare website then the unemployment rate will drop like a stone. :smuggo:

He also sucked Gowdy's dick about asking the right questions with respect to BENGHAZI but it was basically the same poo poo on a different day. Also one moron caller that was being contracted by the Georgia DOT to maintain some traffic lights that argued that the private sector could do everything better on those public roads she is helping maintain at the behest of a government paycheck.

I could be wrong, but isn't the reason Switzerland doesn't have min. wage laws is because they have guaranteed income? Or something like really strong labor unions compared to the U.S.? Plus does he not know that Switzerland has a universal health care? And not just UHC, but a system that is pretty drat similar to Obamacare?

Nintendo Kid
Aug 4, 2011

by Smythe

Mr Interweb posted:

I could be wrong, but isn't the reason Switzerland doesn't have min. wage laws is because they have guaranteed income? Or something like really strong labor unions compared to the U.S.? Plus does he not know that Switzerland has a universal health care? And not just UHC, but a system that is pretty drat similar to Obamacare?

No, that whole strip of Central Europe doesn't have minimum wage laws because they ended up having massive labor movements for negotiating different minimum wages paid for various industries during the post WWI and post WWII eras.

However, they did also introduce a guaranteed minimum income, but that may not have taken effect just yet.

kik2dagroin
Mar 23, 2007

Use the anger. Use it.
:fry: I forgot the stupid poo poo he said about Death Panels

quote:

RUSH: ... I've been doing this program for 25 years. Horror stories in the VA, we've had phone calls every year about it. And part and parcel of the VA is the belief -- I don't know if it's actually stated at recruitment, but there's both an implication and an inference. The government, the military implies to inductees, to volunteers, people that sign up for the military, and they infer that their medical care is going to be heightened and focused because they are volunteering essentially their lives for this country.

In joining the military they are acknowledging the possibility they could be deployed into a combat zone and be severely wounded or killed in action. The whole "leave no man behind" thing, there is an implied relationship that everybody in this country has understood for years, that the government will take care of its veterans. And because of that implied relationship, when that doesn't happen, the attention on it is even more focused and becomes an even greater controversy.

I mean, this is the assumption. If there is a group of people the government is really gonna look out for and really try to take care of, it's going to be people who have worn the uniform. Everybody has just understood this. Which is why all of these years of the horror stories of the VA have been so shocking, because the questions are natural, how could they let this happen? These people are special. These are soldiers. They're special. They got wounded in action, killed in action defending this country on missions assigned by their commander-in-chief and other commanding officers. And yet that relationship doesn't seem to exist.

The VA, as I say, I get calls here, we have every year for 25 years, and the horror story here or the horror story there. And this is just the latest. Now we learn of these deaths by attrition, secret waiting lists, and this is the real bad thing of it. People on these lists assume that they're being moved ahead of the line. That's the purpose of the secret list, that they're going to really be taken care of. Because the backlog is so jammed, the line for treatment at the VA is so long that they've come up with this secret list business, and the people on that list think that they're essentially being moved to the top of the class, or the head of the line, in front of the line. And they're just being ignored.

Now, over a hundred people, if you add the Dayton Daily News story today, over a hundred people have died while on these lists. It's simply unconscionable. So you have to ask, the natural assumption is that nobody wants these people to die, even if you add the death panel component, nobody wants these people to die, yet they are. At the very least what we're dealing with here is a total inability to deal with this. And at worst it's the death panel being done on purpose.

But no matter how you come down on this, I mean, some of you are not gonna want to believe the death panel aspect, even though the evidence is pretty clear.
When you have government employees receiving salary bonuses for ostensibly saving money by virtue of shrinking the number of people on the list, how does that happen? How do people end up off the list and not treated? They pass away. And if you're gonna have government employees bonused on that basis, then you would be not that far out of whack to assume there might be some death panel at work here.

If you don't want to go that far, at the very least, there is rampant incompetence here and inability to run the medical treatment of the Veterans Affairs system. (interruption) Why are you shaking your head? Snerdley says, "Incompetence doesn't say enough." I don't care what it says. It's undeniable that they can't do it, no matter what their intentions. Well, I'm about worn out with good intentions covering for incompetence, particularly when you have rampant loss life taking place. What good does good intentions do anybody here? But, see, this Bring Back Our Girls hashtag, that's all you have to do to show you care. You don't have to actually rescue them and get 'em back. Just get behind the hashtag, just show you care.

So these people here, "Oh, we care so much about our veterans," are not do anything for 'em. "We really care about 'em." The incompetence is a big thing to me. Snerdley, do you realize how few people are gonna believe the death panel thing anyway? But yet we still gotta find a way to convince people that this Obamacare can't work and that everybody's headed for a similar potential as these deaths in the VA. They just can't do it. They just can't run it. There's nobody that has any real world, private sector experience running anything to do with health care or medical treatment or medical care.

They're bureaucrats that came from the top 10% of their class at some Ivy League school or some school somewhere. They're theoreticians. They've sat around in the faculty lounge and complained and moaned about all the cheap cheaters and corruption there is in the private sector. "Man, if we ever ran this, we'd straighten it out. We'd fix it, and we'd do it fair." And here we go. And the very fact is they can't do it. And here's one minor, small microcosm of all of Obamacare that everybody can see at the least.

There are people dying. If you don't want to believe the death panels are the reason, then you've gotta believe it's incompetence. But you can't just say, "Well, you know, excrement happens." 'Cause you could be the excrement next time. We all strive. (interruption) Well, of course they knew there were going to be consequences, but it's a bureaucracy. One person can't do anything on his own. Okay, so you see people on a waiting list and they're not getting better. The list is getting longer and they're not getting treatment and you're one person, you want to do something about it, you can't. The chain of command, your bosses, the other bureaucracies you have to work through to get something stamped and approved to grant permission to treat a patient, it's a mess.

My point is that we're all struggling. Well, some of us are not struggling. To some of us it's easy. But a lot of people are trying to figure out ways to persuade people this isn't gonna work. No matter how big anybody's heart is, no matter how much they care, here is a microcosm of what Obamacare is gonna be if it's fully implemented. And the reason you want to tell 'em that is because you want to gin up as much popular support for repeal of this as you can.

The polling numbers on Obamacare continue to worsen. In fact, The Politico, headline: "Politico Poll Shows Mounting Danger for Democrats -- President Barack Obama’s job approval slump and voters’ entrenched wariness of his health care law are dogging Democrats ahead of the 2014 midterm elections, and Republicans have captured a lead in the areas home to the year’s most competitive races, according to a new Politico poll."

Let me give you pull quote. "Illinois, West Virginia and California -- still lean in a liberal direction on several issues Democrats have championed this year, including immigration reform, pay equity for men and women and background checks for gun purchasers." All of that happy horse hockey when you get right down to it.

"But none of those issues comes close to approaching health care as a major concern for midterm voters. Nearly nine in 10 respondents said that the health care law would be important to determining their vote, including 49 percent who said it would be very important."

That's why we strive to inform and educate people.

"On social issues, the poll shows the midterm electorate is somewhat more conservative than the country at large: While the broader population has swung in the direction of favoring same-sex marriage, the issue is a tossup with midterm voters. Forty-eight percent of respondents said they support same-sex marriage, and 52 percent said they oppose it."

We're being governed here by a very small minority, and people are fed up with it. I think people are more fed up with it than anybody knows, to tell you truth.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2...under_obamacare

quote:

RUSH: Now Trey Gowdy, these questions, this little sound bite, it was actually one sound bite of about three and a half minutes. I didn't want to play it front to back solid three, although it's powerful that way, but actually Trey Gowdy asked these questions last October. The exact date was October 30th on Capitol Hill during a press conference on Benghazi. This is long before anybody knew there was gonna be a select committee, and thus long before Trey Gowdy knew or anybody else knew that Trey Gowdy was gonna be the chairman of the select committee. And it's kind of hard to believe that this recitation of questions he asks took until last week to get noticed. But it did.

So we've taken the full sound bite, which was three and a half minutes, and we have converted it here into five sound bites. I told Cookie and Cookie Jr. to just give me the questions, take the extraneous stuff out of it, so bam, bam, bam, question, question, question. So that's what has happened. So I can't play these back-to-back because it's not gonna sound continuous that way, the way we've cut it up. So here is the first of five bites. He's got a bunch of House Republicans standing behind him at the press conference, and the audience is the media. They clearly weren't interested. They had to show up because they had to show up.
GOWDY: Can you tell me why Chris Stevens was in Benghazi the night that he was killed? Do you know? Does it bother you whether or not you know why Chris Stevens was in Benghazi? Do you know why we were the last flag flying in Benghazi after the British had left and the Red Cross had been bombed?
GOWDY: Do you know why requests for additional security were denied? Do you know why an ambassador asking for more security days and weeks before he was murdered and those requests went unheeded? Do you know the answer to why those requests went unheeded?
GOWDY: Do you know why no assets were deployed during the siege? And I've heard the explanation, which defies logic, frankly, that we couldn't have gotten there in time. But you know they didn't know when it was gonna end. So how can you possibly cite that as an excuse? Do you know whether the president called any of our allies and said, "Can you help? We have men under attack." Can you answer that?
GOWDY: Do any of you know why Susan Rice was picked? The secretary of state did not go. She says she doesn't like Sunday talk shows. That's the only media venue she does not like, if that's true. Why was Susan Rice on the five Sunday talks shows? Do you know the origin of this mythology that it was spawned as a spontaneous reaction to a video? Do you know where that started? Do you know how we got from no evidence of that to that being the official position of the administration?
RUSH: ... Yeah, and don't forget they sent this guy -- who was this pajama-clad guy that was wearing clothes, what was his name? Tommy Vietor (imitating Vietor), "Come on, dude, it was two years ago, dude, come on, it was two years." You know where they got Tommy Vietor? He was a driver. He was a driver during the campaign. A driver that they moved up and -- yeah, he's married to somebody that's -- anyway, I gotta take a break. Gotta take a break. Sit tight, my friends. We're coming right back. Do not go away.

BREAK TRANSCRIPT

RUSH: Vietor drove a van in the Obama campaign, and he ends up in the Situation Room on the night Benghazi's taking place with Obama nowhere to be found. He started out just driving a van for the campaign, Tommy Vietor, and he's married to Michelle Obama's press flack.

Now, some might say, "Well, Mr. Limbaugh, why you are complaining about that? That's no different than somebody starting in the mail room at General Motors and ending up being the CEO." Yeah, well that generally takes years of accumulating experience, not a couple. Vietor's in there because of total loyalty, which, believe me, when you're running scam after scam after scam, you need people loyal to you. You cannot have any whistleblowers in there. Just can't. You think Obama's mad at what's happened the VA, wait if they ever find out there's whistleblower's in there.
http://www.rushlimbaugh.com/daily/2014/05/19/gowdy_shames_the_media_with_unasked_benghazi_questions
:tinfoil: The conspiracy thickens! Gowdy sure is going to get the bottom of this one :rolleyes:

Intel&Sebastian
Oct 20, 2002

colonel...
but i'm dummy thicc
Please oh please complain about Hillary not going on Sunday talk shows in your new #Benghazi model U.N. Gowdy. PLEEEEEASE.

Dr.Zeppelin
Dec 5, 2003

psychic chasms posted:

One of my strongest political memories post-9/11 is my dad getting crawling drunk while watching the 2004 Republican convention and chanting "Screw the French! Screw the French!" after Bush went on stage to speak. Certainly seemed serious to me at the time.

Easily the most annoying thing about the George Wills and David Brookses of the world is the smug way they pretend that every instance of lowbrow behavior is the exclusive domain of the left and that their own base (and half their caucus at this point) isn't a pack of howler monkeys.

Massive_Idiot
Jun 21, 2007

Receiving data bursts, everything to do with it.

Dr Christmas posted:

The Joker is already pretty sure this is true.

The joker is a fake cartoon villain from a children's comic book series. Pretty sure nobody cares for this derail in an already stagnant thread.

Bait and Swatch
Sep 5, 2012

Join me, Comrades
In the Star Citizen D&D thread
So Rush was seriously saying the United States should operate as a "true" democracy using a majority rules vote for major legislation?

The conservatives would never get a drat thing passed. This is exactly the thing that Republicans constantly bitch about with the population on the coasts being more liberal. The constant crying about tyranny of the majority would be priceless if this actually happened in the US, as the GOP loses out on every major issue if put to a national vote.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost of Reagan Past
Oct 7, 2003

rock and roll fun

Bait and Swatch posted:

So Rush was seriously saying the United States should operate as a "true" democracy using a majority rules vote for major legislation?

The conservatives would never get a drat thing passed. This is exactly the thing that Republicans constantly bitch about with the population on the coasts being more liberal. The constant crying about tyranny of the majority would be priceless if this actually happened in the US, as the GOP loses out on every major issue if put to a national vote.
Also, Americans are more liberal than their representatives, even in the most conservative districts.