Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Which version ya gettin?
This poll is closed.
Duck Hunt Dog 412 18.24%
Duck Hunt Dog 226 10.00%
Duck Hunt Dog 433 19.17%
Waluigi 1188 52.59%
Total: 2259 votes
[Edit Poll (moderators only)]

• Locked thread
Geostomp
Oct 22, 2008

Unite: MASH!!
~They've got the bad guys on the run!~

Bicyclops posted:

They're laser Cheerios and everyone knows it! :colbert:

Let us all agree that Mother Brain does shoot components for a complete (and deadly) breakfast.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Plasbad
Oct 2, 2013
Speaking of Mother Brain, I wish they could use her voice from Captain N. In fact, we need Captain N styled character models complete with voices for all of the characters that were in that show. I guess that's something the modders can work on in the future when we get around to modding Wii U games. :v:

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

Sire Oblivion posted:

We haven't heard much on the single player have we?

No, just that it won't have a mode like SSE. Might return to Adventure mode like Melee, which would be fine.

I'm a Final Fantasy nerd, so SSE's cutscenes were cool in my book. Shame it was literally a chore to play. gently caress that maze.

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...
I actually liked the Great Maze compared to the rest of the game, since it had a minor exploration aspect, there were a lot of traditional battles, and you had nearly all the characters at that point.

However, I do concur that SSE in general was poorly-done. The settings are generic, the playstyle isn't true to the series, and the plot doesn't give any depth to the characters, instead focusing on them being trophy facsimiles.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Mennonites Revenge posted:

However, I do concur that SSE in general was poorly-done. The settings are generic, the playstyle isn't true to the series, and the plot doesn't give any depth to the characters, instead focusing on them being trophy facsimiles.

But would SSE have been better if it was about all of the characters getting on the same bus together?

Rich Uncle Chet
Jan 20, 2005

The Law? Law is a Human Institution.

SSE would have been fantastic if they had played the entire concept for laughs.

You know that scene where all the Pikmin are fighting the Giant Rob, then Captain Falcon shows up in his car, punches the robot, and then does a dramatic pose slide that kills every single one of the Pikmin he was trying to help?

Every cutscene in the SSE should have been that.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

You know that scene where all the Pikmin are fighting the Giant Rob, then Captain Falcon shows up in his car, punches the robot, and then does a dramatic pose slide that kills every single one of the Pikmin he was trying to help?

I thought most of the cutscenes were for laughs? I honestly only remember like two that weren't. The rest is "Lucario finds Snake hiding in a cardboard box" and "Princess Peach lazily sips tea while poo poo is going down."

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

If you thought that the SSE cutscenes were supposed to be taken seriously that's a problem with you, not with the game

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
ROB wearing his cloak of shame is hilarious.

Andorra
Dec 12, 2012
What they should do for adventure mode is have it be a Metroidvania-esque thing where there's branching paths that require you to be a certain character to open (if it's been opened once it stays open for every character), and if you don't have the required character you go to a standard ending where you fight Master Hand or Trillionage Sprout or something. So then you unlock all the characters by doing the Target Test with 10 characters, getting to a certain area in Adventure mode, etc., you can reach the true ending after you open all the paths. But what's at the end of this adventure mode?

A fight against Ridley and Waluigi, and once beaten you can play as them. They're impossible to beat though. Too bad!

Mennonites Revenge
Feb 13, 2012

Lack of electricity... is my destiny...

Volt Catfish posted:

But would SSE have been better if it was about all of the characters getting on the same bus together?

Yes, but only if Little Richard sang the theme song.

Mennonites Revenge fucked around with this message at 23:22 on May 18, 2014

horriblePencilist
Oct 18, 2012

It's a Dirt Devil!
Get it?

Plasbad posted:

Speaking of Mother Brain, I wish they could use her voice from Captain N. In fact, we need Captain N styled character models complete with voices for all of the characters that were in that show. I guess that's something the modders can work on in the future when we get around to modding Wii U games. :v:

If we're doing that we need to put Meowth's english VA both in Pokemon and Smash.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rich Uncle Chet posted:

Iunno what SSE you played but just about every one had some gag or another. Even the action-y ones like the dogfight had little sight gags, with the Dolphin puttering along long after everyone else had already left.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XKHQXuXE8qc

SilverSupernova
Feb 1, 2013

ImpAtom posted:

I thought most of the cutscenes were for laughs? I honestly only remember like two that weren't. The rest is "Lucario finds Snake hiding in a cardboard box" and "Princess Peach lazily sips tea while poo poo is going down."

You forget King Dedede casually pimp-slapping Bowser.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

I HATE THAT HEDGEHOG, BROTHER!

majormonotone posted:

If you thought that the SSE cutscenes were supposed to be taken seriously that's a problem with you, not with the game

The only ones I can really remember that are at all somewhat serious are the Ness/Lucas scenes, the Marth/Ike/Metaknight scenes and the one Ganondorf scene where he's in the big room full of TVs. And then in those cases, you have Ness and Lucas interacting with loving Pokemon which comes off all rather silly. The Marth, Ike and Metaknight scene is very action movie scene with them all at each other's backs surrounded by the enemy. But Metaknight is so silly looking compared to the two anime dudes.

The final boss was a bit too final fantasy I guess but then I guess that was so ridiculous it wrapped back around to goofy

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012
Yeah sure, SSE had funny cutscenes, but that doesn't suddenly excuse everything wrong with it.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

forbidden lesbian posted:

Yeah sure, SSE had funny cutscenes, but that doesn't suddenly excuse everything wrong with it.
Nobody's saying it is, but that dude said 'the story should have been played for laughs' and people were going 'well, it basically was.'

Nobody's laboring under the delusion that SSE was anything above mediocre.

Cleretic
Feb 3, 2010

Ignore my posts!
I'm aggressively wrong about everything!
Something I think SSE actually did quite well was the subplot around Lucas. It was very understated, but given the concessions of the story it actually did pretty well at replicating Lucas' character development from the first half of Mother 3, going from a scared little kid to someone able to take action.

They surrounded him with a decent cast for it, too. Ness in place of Claus is just perfect, of course, but Pokemon Trainer as a traveling companion works well from both the angle of what works internally for Mother, and who's a logical companion for a Mother character (since Pokemon was initially made with a lot of Earthbound's development team). Then there's Wario as the antagonist, which sounds really dumb, but I don't think there's anyone else that'd work better. He's weird and vaguely silly, but loving terrifying if put in the right context, and that's exactly right for what a Mother-focused section would need.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Yeah, SSE's gameplay was mediocre as hell but the cutscenes were hilarious and easily the best part.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

I wasn't sure if it's possible to find anything other then humor from the cutscenes and sure enough tvtropes has a entire tearjerker section.

Not sure why I'd expect anything better.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

TVTropes is a community edited website and it's hard to get anything taken down unless it's just completely bizarre and stupid. All there being a tearjerker section means is that one or two people found a couple of the cutscenes a little sad, which is not really worth noting.

Keep us posted on TVTropes though.

Truxton
Oct 31, 2012

Plasbad posted:

Speaking of Mother Brain, I wish they could use her voice from Captain N.

horriblePencilist posted:

If we're doing that we need to put Meowth's english VA both in Pokemon and Smash.

But Levi Stubbs and Maddie Blaustein are both dead. :(

Edit: Wow, they both died the same year, too.

majormonotone
Jan 25, 2013

Who in Smash Bros is most likely to be a time lord? Please research and let us know tia

Calaveron
Aug 7, 2006
:negative:

forbidden lesbian posted:

Yeah sure, SSE was a horribly annoying, repetitive mess, but that doesn't suddenly mean the cutscenes weren't absolutely loving fantastic. :v:

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

majormonotone posted:

Who in Smash Bros is most likely to be a time lord? Please research and let us know tia

Turns out after careful research it's Wario.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

majormonotone posted:

Mario: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mario%27s_Time_Machine

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

No because in cutscene 20 (Two birds, One Time Machine in the movie viewer) of Mario's Time Machine it's heavily implied that Wario stole it to sell it and trap Mario in the past forever and we never see him sell it so he still has it.
:tvtropes:

mandatory lesbian
Dec 18, 2012

Calaveron posted:

Yeah sure, SSE was a horribly annoying, repetitive mess, but that doesn't suddenly mean the cutscenes weren't absolutely loving fantastic. :v:

I will bury you!

Pixeltendo
Mar 2, 2012

The best thing about SSE was realizing how amazing a team of King Dedede, Ness and Luigi would really be.

ThisIsACoolGuy
Nov 2, 2010

Shaped like a friend

Pixeltendo posted:

The best thing about SSE was realizing how amazing a team of King Dedede, Ness and Luigi would really be.

I found something funny about Sakurai not wanting to over represent his characters yet he made all the Kirby cast the most important of the whole group (or at least Meta Knight and DeDeDe)

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

I found something funny about Sakurai not wanting to over represent his characters yet he made all the Kirby cast the most important of the whole group (or at least Meta Knight and DeDeDe)
Was Meta Knight really that important? The Halberd was important, sure, but Meta Knight himself wasn't anymore important than Ike or Marth.

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Well the Halberd has Metaknight's face on it so I think by extension Metaknight is part of like half the SSE :v:

But yeah Dedede is basically the hero of the SSE

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

Sakurai performs the voice of Dedede.

Die Sexmonster!
Nov 30, 2005

ThisIsACoolGuy posted:

Sakurai was wrong, SSB should be a Kirby game with Nintendo cameos. Kirby owns.

(Does anyone else's phone autocorrect Sakurai as Samurai?)

GenericMartini
Oct 22, 2012

AYYYYY PAPI
I really loved the collecting the trophies part especially because the end game could just be Kirby, Luigi, Dedede, Ness, and Sonic.

Kinu Nishimura
Apr 24, 2008

SICK LOOT!

GenericMartini posted:

I really loved the collecting the trophies part especially because the end game could just be Kirby, Luigi, Dedede, Ness, and Sonic.

And Bowser.

HJE-Cobra
Jul 15, 2007

Bear Witness

Hell Gem
The cutscenes were definitely the best part of Subspace Emissary. I think "The Two Captains" scene is pretty much the best.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FuD6nKok9lA

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

It's a shame Sakurai didn't want to over-saturate Brawl with Kirby because Tabuu could have just been replaced by Marx from Super Star. They even had similar attacks. Would anyone have even complained if this random-rear end nobody had been a Kirby boss instead?

Macaluso
Sep 23, 2005

Tabuu should've been revealed to be hanging from strings that Master Hand was controlling like a puppet

Why on earth was Master Hand not the end villain.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Color Printer
May 9, 2011

You get used to it. I don't
even see the code. All I see
is Ipecac, Scapular, Polyphemus...

Macaluso posted:

Tabuu should've been revealed to be hanging from strings that Master Hand was controlling like a puppet

Why on earth was Master Hand not the end villain.

If we're going with that, it should have been Crazy Hand controlling Tabuu controlling Master Hand :colbert:

• Locked thread