Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Thermopyle posted:

Install new LSI MegaRAID card with a couple of new drives. Grub menu appears on boot, but then nothing happens after selecting Ubuntu.

Every time I have grub issues I mash in a bunch of solutions I find on various forums until something works without actually figuring out how Grub works. Usually because I'm in a hurry to get my new hardware going.

This time, could someone tell me the likely problem (I'm assuming boot-order issues), and the appropriate way to fix it and what's going on?

Ok, maybe this isn't a grub problem. After I select Ubuntu on the grub menu, I just get a blank screen and nothing ever happens. Editing the menu entry and removing quiet nosplash doesn't change that.

How do I figure out whats going on?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

fletcher posted:

Is there a command I can run in Linux Mint 16 MATE that can disable/enable a second monitor?

xrandr --output <output> --off

Where <output> is the output you want to disable. Run xrandr without arguments to see which ones you have and if they are connected or not.

Hollow Talk
Feb 2, 2014

fletcher posted:

Is there a command I can run in Linux Mint 16 MATE that can disable/enable a second monitor?

If you are looking for a way to do this from console, you will need xrandr. I'm not on Linux right now, but the syntax should be something like this:

code:
xrandr --output LVDS-0 --auto --output VGA-0 --right-of LVDS-0 --auto
Use --off instead of --auto to turn the given display off, and use xrandr --query to find out your displays' names.

e;fb :argh:

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb
Sweeeeet thanks guys, worked great. I wanna file a bug report but I'm not sure who the recipient should be...or what the right way to describe the issue is.

When I boot up my multi-monitor VM with VirtualBox and try to drag a window over to the right it only lets me go this far:

If I maximize the window this is what I get:

And now thanks to you guys I can fix it by running (doing it through the UI was getting annoying):

code:
$ xrandr --output VBOX1 --off
$ xrandr --output VBOX1 --auto --output VBOX1 --right-of VBOX0 --auto
Probably a VirtualBox bug?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Thermopyle posted:

Ok, maybe this isn't a grub problem. After I select Ubuntu on the grub menu, I just get a blank screen and nothing ever happens. Editing the menu entry and removing quiet nosplash doesn't change that.

How do I figure out whats going on?

What is the exact model of your LSI megaraid card? Probably the first thing I would do is boot from removable media, attempt to mount the raid, and see if everything looks alright with the file system.

Qtotonibudinibudet
Nov 7, 2011

Omich poluyobok, skazhi ty narkoman? ya prosto tozhe gde to tam zhivu, mogli by vmeste uyobyvat' narkotiki

fletcher posted:

Sweeeeet thanks guys, worked great. I wanna file a bug report but I'm not sure who the recipient should be...or what the right way to describe the issue is.

When I boot up my multi-monitor VM with VirtualBox and try to drag a window over to the right it only lets me go this far:

If I maximize the window this is what I get:

And now thanks to you guys I can fix it by running (doing it through the UI was getting annoying):

code:
$ xrandr --output VBOX1 --off
$ xrandr --output VBOX1 --auto --output VBOX1 --right-of VBOX0 --auto
Probably a VirtualBox bug?

Did you just blur out... Your music library?

Is it nothing but Rebecca Black and The Wiggles?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

keyvin posted:

What is the exact model of your LSI megaraid card? Probably the first thing I would do is boot from removable media, attempt to mount the raid, and see if everything looks alright with the file system.

It's a 9240-8i. It's being used a JBOD controller, so there's no raid. If I unplug all drives from it, the system boots fine. I'll boot from removable media in a little while.

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Thermopyle posted:

It's a 9240-8i. It's being used a JBOD controller, so there's no raid. If I unplug all drives from it, the system boots fine. I'll boot from removable media in a little while.

That might not be necessary. I assumed your install was on a drive connected to the card. If that isn't the case does appending verbose or debug to the boot parameters in grub cause the kernel to spit anything helpful out?

fletcher
Jun 27, 2003

ken park is my favorite movie

Cybernetic Crumb

scroogle nmaps posted:

Did you just blur out... Your music library?

Is it nothing but Rebecca Black and The Wiggles?

Had to hide my Justin Bieber playlists man

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe
Come on man, you don't have to be ashamed. Be a Belieber!

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

keyvin posted:

That might not be necessary. I assumed your install was on a drive connected to the card. If that isn't the case does appending verbose or debug to the boot parameters in grub cause the kernel to spit anything helpful out?

Nope, as soon as I get past the screen for editing the boot parameters (I tried both verbose and debug options) it's a blank screen and the system never boots.

If I disconnect the two drives from the fanout cable and boot the system it boots fine and hwinfo --storage-ctrl gives me this about the card:

pre:
39: PCI 200.0: 0104 RAID bus controller
  [Created at pci.318]
  Unique ID: B35A.1+oh_z9uuqE
  Parent ID: CvwD.rxZe+G5lxF1
  SysFS ID: /devices/pci0000:00/0000:00:05.0/0000:02:00.0
  SysFS BusID: 0000:02:00.0
  Hardware Class: storage
  Model: "LSI Logic / Symbios Logic RAID bus controller"
  Vendor: pci 0x1000 "LSI Logic / Symbios Logic"
  Device: pci 0x0073
  SubVendor: pci 0x1000 "LSI Logic / Symbios Logic"
  SubDevice: pci 0x9240
  Revision: 0x03
  Driver: "megaraid_sas"
  Driver Modules: "megaraid_sas"
  I/O Ports: 0x9e00-0x9eff (rw)
  Memory Range: 0xfb9fc000-0xfb9fffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
  Memory Range: 0xfb980000-0xfb9bffff (rw,non-prefetchable)
  Memory Range: 0xe7a00000-0xe7a1ffff (ro,non-prefetchable,disabled)
  IRQ: 16 (2897 events)
  Module Alias: "pci:v00001000d00000073sv00001000sd00009240bc01sc04i00"
  Driver Info #0:
    Driver Status: megaraid_sas is active
    Driver Activation Cmd: "modprobe megaraid_sas"
  Config Status: cfg=new, avail=yes, need=no, active=unknown
  Attached to: #11 (PCI bridge)
It looks like the card is working?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica
Well, I thought grub 2 had gotten smart and if the root parameter was wrong it would try to find the right drive or spit out an error. This is probably the most ghetto way to go about it, but if you edit the grub entry for your ubuntu install and note which hd (they start at 0) it is using for the root parameter, then start a grub shell by pressing ctrl-c. You can type 'root(hdX' where X is the number in the menu entry, followed by tab grub will spit out the list of partitions on the drive at position X. If this matches the drive that your boot partition is on, then the drive order hasn't changed because of the additional drives. If it doesn't match, try editing the root parameter to the right hard drive.

That is my last (probably worthless) idea.

Edit: not the root= option on the kernel line, but something like 'set root=' or 'root(hdx'

SYSV Fanfic fucked around with this message at 23:00 on May 15, 2014

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

keyvin posted:

Well, I thought grub 2 had gotten smart and if the root parameter was wrong it would try to find the right drive or spit out an error. This is probably the most ghetto way to go about it, but if you edit the grub entry for your ubuntu install and note which hd (they start at 0) it is using for the root parameter, then start a grub shell by pressing ctrl-c. You can type 'root(hdX' where X is the number in the menu entry, followed by tab grub will spit out the list of partitions on the drive at position X. If this matches the drive that your boot partition is on, then the drive order hasn't changed because of the additional drives. If it doesn't match, try editing the root parameter to the right hard drive.

That is my last (probably worthless) idea.

Edit: not the root= option on the kernel line, but something like 'set root=' or 'root(hdx'

Hmm, as I boot from an mdadm device it has the UUID for root:
code:
set root='mduuid/longassuuidgoeshere'
Which should mean boot order doesn't matter, which means it's not a boot order problem...right?

If I go into the grub shell and type ls / it shows the contents of my boot mdadm array, and if I understand correctly ls / will show contents of the root device.

I just can't figure out how to get any info about what is preventing boot!

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Thermopyle posted:

Hmm, as I boot from an mdadm device it has the UUID for root:
code:
set root='mduuid/longassuuidgoeshere'
Which should mean boot order doesn't matter, which means it's not a boot order problem...right?

If I go into the grub shell and type ls / it shows the contents of my boot mdadm array, and if I understand correctly ls / will show contents of the root device.

I just can't figure out how to get any info about what is preventing boot!

No it shouldn't be a boot order problem then.

I looked it up, and there is more you need to do to see the verbose messages.

https://wiki.ubuntu.com/DebuggingKernelBoot

quote:

Starting with Natty (Ubuntu 11.04), also remove the parameter vt.handoff=7, and on the line that reads set gfxpayload=$linux_gfx_mode, replace with set gfxpayload=text

Do that and add verbose to the commandline and see if you see anything different.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

The drives I hooked up were just a couple of old drives I had lying around. Turns out that I picked up two drives that had had mdadm arrays on them in the past and for some reason they were preventing ~stuff~ from happening.

I deleted the MBR and partitions on them and everything booted fine.

I never got around to trying your last advice to get debugging information because for some reason this idea just popped into my head.

Thanks for your help!

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Thermopyle posted:

The drives I hooked up were just a couple of old drives I had lying around. Turns out that I picked up two drives that had had mdadm arrays on them in the past and for some reason they were preventing ~stuff~ from happening.

I deleted the MBR and partitions on them and everything booted fine.

I never got around to trying your last advice to get debugging information because for some reason this idea just popped into my head.

Thanks for your help!

I have zero idea how that would have prevented booting unless they had been members of your root array. Anyone know?

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

keyvin posted:

I have zero idea how that would have prevented booting unless they had been members of your root array. Anyone know?

It doesn't really make any sense, but what made more more sure it was the problem was when I went into the grub menu for "advanced ubuntu boot options" or whatever, and selected the most recent recovery kernel. That shows all the boot messages, and halfway through the boot, it errors out assembling my boot array and drops me into a busybox initramfs prompt.

Wipe the two drives, and it boots fine regularly and into the recovery kernel.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
Some RAID cards will not touch the data unless you do some kind of initialization and depending on which one you use it can be lazy about that too even. Plus device orders can go crazy. I have seen machines that the devices change randomly if you reboot it a few times.

ewe2
Jul 1, 2009

Is anyone else running apt-cacher-ng? Debian apt had a bug a version or so back that prevented it updating from mirrors properly which is now fixed, but its only working with apt directly. When I use apt-cacher-ng to update my local network box, it displays the same errors apt had. I've tried cleaning the cache and a few other things but I'm wondering what it depends on that is replaying these errors?

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
How can I set up a bash alias that lets me use flags?

I thought if I did this in .bashrc:

code:
alias s="screen"
Then I would be able to do "s -ls" and it would act like "screen -ls", but it doesn't work.

Superdawg
Jan 28, 2009

fuf posted:

How can I set up a bash alias that lets me use flags?

I thought if I did this in .bashrc:

code:
alias s="screen"
Then I would be able to do "s -ls" and it would act like "screen -ls", but it doesn't work.

That is how it works.

Did you open a new shell or source the .bashrc after you modified it? (source the file by doing '. ~/.bashrc')

fuf
Sep 12, 2004

haha
uh yeah it works now. :shobon:

I'm pretty sure I did reload .bashrc so I'm not sure what was going on.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
I finally sat down and upgraded my file server to x64, was a very straightforward process and everything booted just fine. Unfortunately my munin graphs are now broken as rrd files are architecture specific. I've been doing some reading on how to fix it and it appears the only solution is to dump the rrd files with the 32-bit rrdtool then import them with the 64-bit tool.

The lovely thing is that I'm all 64-bit here, anyone have an idea on how I can dump the files on a 64-bit system? I'm probably going to have to setup a 32-bit vm on my laptop to do this.

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
Why can't you just install the 32bit version of Munin?

jre
Sep 2, 2011

To the cloud ?

Ashex posted:

I finally sat down and upgraded my file server to x64, was a very straightforward process and everything booted just fine. Unfortunately my munin graphs are now broken as rrd files are architecture specific. I've been doing some reading on how to fix it and it appears the only solution is to dump the rrd files with the 32-bit rrdtool then import them with the 64-bit tool.

The lovely thing is that I'm all 64-bit here, anyone have an idea on how I can dump the files on a 64-bit system? I'm probably going to have to setup a 32-bit vm on my laptop to do this.

You only need the rrdtool binary to do the conversion, have you tried downloading the 32bit rpm /deb / whatever and extracting the binary and seeing if it will run? Otherwise yeah, you'll you need to use a live cd / vm to convert them.

Ashex
Jun 25, 2007

These pipes are cleeeean!!!
Yeah, I tried it but it simply wouldn't execute due to library dependencies. I ended up setting up a VM and doing a dump through it.

Prince John
Jun 20, 2006

Oh, poppycock! Female bandits?

I'm trying to mount 4 encrypted LUKS devices on boot using Ubuntu Server 14.04. Using /etc/crypttab and referencing the appropriate keyfiles, I can successfully mount all of the partitions with no issues. However, rather than mounting the drives at the stage of "mounting early crypto disks", they are mounted right at the tail end of the boot process ("mounting remaining crypto disks" or somesuch).

This is too late in the boot process for my needs as I'm trying to assemble a ZFS array using these disks. The instructions in the FAQ here state that the solution is to

quote:

Add encrypted LUKS devices to the /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/cryptroot configuration such that all pool members are unlocked and ready before the regular system starts.

I don't have this file automatically generated but creating it with the content below and running update-initramfs correctly prompts for the passphrase very early on in the boot process and the ZFS array assembles correctly. However, when I add ",key=/path/to/key" to the end of each line, I'm still prompted for a password for each volume. The keyfile is contained on the root partition.

code:
/etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/cryptroot (the UUID and target matches the contents of /etc/crypttab)
target=crypt1,source=UUID=af5df2ca-3d5b-4219-8233-71746a8bcccf
target=crypt2,source=UUID=78b49840-a3df-42f1-bcfa-217dcf429162
target=crypt3,source=UUID=f07daebb-e1c3-4106-a46d-4eea5c0b1c80
target=crypt4,source=UUID=b8503cdb-563e-485c-9b5e-8d7fef3efed2
I'm struggling to find the correct way to point the cryptroot scripts to my keyfile. At the moment, if I don't manually type in the password for each, they're mounted at the end of the boot process (using the keyfile and info in /etc/crypttab) as before.

Does anyone have an example /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/cryptroot file they could post, specifically one referencing a keyfile please?

How do /etc/crypttab and /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/cryptroot interact? I seem to be able to comment out /etc/crypttab entirely and still decrypt the disks on boot (with a passphrase) which was surprising. On Debian 7, all that seems to be necessary is just completing /etc/crypttab and restarting which seems much simpler. There is no cryptroot file created for Debian 7, but the disks are nevertheless decrypted at the beginning of the boot process.

Edit: Just to be clear, my root filesystem is an unencrypted Ext4 USB stick - these ZFS volumes are used for data storage rather than for the OS.

Prince John fucked around with this message at 13:37 on May 18, 2014

telcoM
Mar 21, 2009
Fallen Rib

Prince John posted:

I'm trying to mount 4 encrypted LUKS devices on boot using Ubuntu Server 14.04. Using /etc/crypttab and referencing the appropriate keyfiles, I can successfully mount all of the partitions with no issues. However, rather than mounting the drives at the stage of "mounting early crypto disks", they are mounted right at the tail end of the boot process ("mounting remaining crypto disks" or somesuch).

This is too late in the boot process for my needs [...so using /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/cryptroot...]

I don't have this file automatically generated but creating it with the content below and running update-initramfs correctly prompts for the passphrase very early on in the boot process and the ZFS array assembles correctly. However, when I add ",key=/path/to/key" to the end of each line, I'm still prompted for a password for each volume. The keyfile is contained on the root partition.

code:
/etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/cryptroot (the UUID and target matches the contents of /etc/crypttab)
target=crypt1,source=UUID=af5df2ca-3d5b-4219-8233-71746a8bcccf
target=crypt2,source=UUID=78b49840-a3df-42f1-bcfa-217dcf429162
target=crypt3,source=UUID=f07daebb-e1c3-4106-a46d-4eea5c0b1c80
target=crypt4,source=UUID=b8503cdb-563e-485c-9b5e-8d7fef3efed2
I'm struggling to find the correct way to point the cryptroot scripts to my keyfile. At the moment, if I don't manually type in the password for each, they're mounted at the end of the boot process (using the keyfile and info in /etc/crypttab) as before.

Instead of adding just the "key" option, try adding it like this: ",keyscript='cat',key=/path/to/key".

At least on Debian 7, the "key=" option is used just as an argument to the keyscript. If keyscript is not specified, then the key= option ends up being completely ignored.

Prince John posted:

How do /etc/crypttab and /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/cryptroot interact? I seem to be able to comment out /etc/crypttab entirely and still decrypt the disks on boot (with a passphrase) which was surprising. On Debian 7, all that seems to be necessary is just completing /etc/crypttab and restarting which seems much simpler. There is no cryptroot file created for Debian 7, but the disks are nevertheless decrypted at the beginning of the boot process.

On Debian 7, /usr/share/initramfs-tools/hooks/cryptroot script will auto-generate a cryptroot file for initramfs. It will contain the crypt targets required to activate the root filesystem and perhaps the swap area. This file is stored inside the initramfs, so you won't normally see it anywhere unless you extract an initramfs and view its contents. But you can override this auto-generated file by supplying your own in /etc/initramfs-tools/conf.d/cryptroot.

The cryptroot file is used in the initramfs phase of the boot process, when even the root filesystem is not mounted yet. There is no /etc/crypttab in initramfs, so all the information to activate the encrypted root filesystem (and/or other filesystems, if you so choose) must come from the user or be included in the cryptroot file.

On Debian 7, "man 5 crypttab" tells me that there is a "noearly" option for /etc/crypttab. Perhaps this is flipped around in Ubuntu, and you'll need to specify something like "early" or "nolate" to activate a particular encrypted disk at "mounting early crypto disks".

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
I used Mint version 4 (Daryna) many moons ago, and then Mint version 5 (Elyssa). Never been great with Linux but always clicked with Mint.

Recently acquired a netbook which came with Ubuntu, but I've since removed that and installed Mint 16 (Petra) cinnamon.

Everything is great, love it. Except one thing... Why does the menu take so darn long to load after clicking it? After reading about it, it appears to be a problem with cinnamon of which I can find no solution to.

Any ideas? And also, what's with all this cinnamon and mate stuff? What was wrong with simple Gnome? Or have i missed something?

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Angelwolf posted:

what's with all this cinnamon and mate stuff? What was wrong with simple Gnome? Or have i missed something?

Gnome 3 made some pretty big changes to how the desktop worked.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream

keyvin posted:

Gnome 3 made some pretty big changes to how the desktop worked.

So gnome 3 came along, annoyed people, and cinnamon and mate came as a result of it?

Gnome 2 is unsupported now then, I'm guessing?

Riso
Oct 11, 2008

by merry exmarx
I like Xubuntu because I get the old gnome2 feel and it's pretty snappy. :shrug:

SYSV Fanfic
Sep 9, 2003

by Pragmatica

Angelwolf posted:

So gnome 3 came along, annoyed people, and cinnamon and mate came as a result of it?

Gnome 2 is unsupported now then, I'm guessing?

IIRC mate is a fork of gnome 2 they are working on porting to GTK3.

effika
Jun 19, 2005
Birds do not want you to know any more than you already do.
Yeah, I'm using a Gnome 2 theme right now on Mate, and the Gnome Color Chooser works fine too.

a dmc delorean
Jul 2, 2006

Live the dream
Right, got it. Thanks for the info about gnome and mate.

So what's the deal with cinnamon, and does anyone know how to fix the slow loading menu problem? Mate environment shows no slowdown at all, but cinnamon likes to just chill before reacting.

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

Angelwolf posted:

Right, got it. Thanks for the info about gnome and mate.

So what's the deal with cinnamon, and does anyone know how to fix the slow loading menu problem? Mate environment shows no slowdown at all, but cinnamon likes to just chill before reacting.

What version are you running? I installed the Mint 17 RC with Cinnamon 2.2 on an older computer with painfully slow disks and the menu is quick and responsive in the new version.

JHVH-1
Jun 28, 2002
When Gnome 2 came out everyone freaked and whined and complained and then got used to it. Its the circle of life.

CaptainSarcastic
Jul 6, 2013

JHVH-1 posted:

When Gnome 2 came out everyone freaked and whined and complained and then got used to it. Its the circle of life.

Gnome 3 was enough to make me abandon Gnome, and I haven't looked back since. I understand that having a UI geared to fingerpainting is a thing now (see Windows 8), but I personally neither want nor need it.

YouTuber
Jul 31, 2004

by FactsAreUseless
Everything Gnome is working on at the moment is getting irritating to use. Their loving UI choices are annoying as poo poo. I dont know why you would ditch the near universal File Edit View Help standards. Their current look for Gedit infuriates me It has 4 options and they're not intuitive on what the gently caress they do. I shouldn't have to hover over an icon to wait for the popup saying "Create new Document" or "Save" If you're going to do this Programs 2.0 Interface atleast use the standard icon schemes that have been around since the 90s. Save uses the Floppy Disk icon. New is a piece of paper with the right side folded.

gently caress! I feel like some doddering old man now.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Suspicious Dish
Sep 24, 2011

2020 is the year of linux on the desktop, bro
Fun Shoe

YouTuber posted:

Everything Gnome is working on at the moment is getting irritating to use. Their loving UI choices are annoying as poo poo. I dont know why you would ditch the near universal File Edit View Help standards. Their current look for Gedit infuriates me It has 4 options and they're not intuitive on what the gently caress they do. I shouldn't have to hover over an icon to wait for the popup saying "Create new Document" or "Save" If you're going to do this Programs 2.0 Interface atleast use the standard icon schemes that have been around since the 90s. Save uses the Floppy Disk icon. New is a piece of paper with the right side folded.

gently caress! I feel like some doddering old man now.

Those are our default icons. I don't know what icon theme you're using.