Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

• Locked thread
Rumda
Nov 4, 2009

Moth Lesbian Comrade

Major Isoor posted:

Yeah, my last city was coastal and it even showed my son as the leader of the republic for whatever reason. I'm in the beta and have SI enabled. So, should I opt out, try it again and then opt back into the beta afterwards? Or should I stay out of the beta, just in case, do you think?

EDIT: Or, I can't still get the effects of SI if I turn it off in the beta, create the republic then turn it back on, can I? Never tried, I must admit.

EDIT EDIT: Also, what about if I made my son/sole heir a grand mayor? Will he keep his city/republic when I die (and have it all go to the republic), or will he revert to being a feudal lord?

He won't inherit you.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

So where's the button for "If any of you assholes starts another stupid civil war for the next five years I am going to loving hunt them and their family to extinction"?

These couple of morons are rope pulling some crap duchy forever in the backwater parts of my empire and stopping me from changing succession laws. It's kind of dumb there's literally no way to pacify your own realm without getting absolute authority.

Darkrenown
Jul 18, 2012
please give me anything to talk about besides the fact that democrats are allowing millions of americans to be evicted from their homes
There's plenty of ways, find out why they are unhappy and fixed it, put another vassal over them, or after their first rebellions strip their title and give it to someone who likes you. Also, you only need medium crown authority to stop vassals in the same kingdom fighting each other.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Is there any advice for the Slavic starts? I'm having a harder time getting them to work than the Zoroastrian ones; the latter I can at least get off the ground, even if they're always one failure away from everything going to hell, but I can't do much of anything in the Slavic ones. Can't even subjugate the other Slavic people around me; it might just be awful luck seeing as I keep losing to them when they decide to attack me in my own territory despite the huge Slavic defense bonus, but basically I make no progress and then the Norse come in and take everything. While possibly historically accurate, it's not exactly fun.

Pester
Apr 22, 2008

BioMe posted:

So where's the button for "If any of you assholes starts another stupid civil war for the next five years I am going to loving hunt them and their family to extinction"?

These couple of morons are rope pulling some crap duchy forever in the backwater parts of my empire and stopping me from changing succession laws. It's kind of dumb there's literally no way to pacify your own realm without getting absolute authority.

Grant the less powerful one independence, change your laws, take it back later by pressing the other dude's claim, who will love you forever.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Uh, they fight because they have claims, not because they are unhappy, and revoking titles just creates more claimants. And I can't just go revoking everything if I want to change the laws now can I? Also giving troublemakers kingdom level titles, and it doesn't really guarantee the civil wars don't just scale up. Aren't kingdoms way more likely to have succession revolts anyway?

Darkrenown posted:

There's plenty of ways, find out why they are unhappy and fixed it, put another vassal over them, or after their first rebellions strip their title and give it to someone who likes you. Also, you only need medium crown authority to stop vassals in the same kingdom fighting each other.

Yeah, the problem seems to be that only applies to the de jure realm, but to change succession laws you have to have peace everywhere.

EDIT: Okay, weird. I didn't really have a way to deal with the dukes that created their own kingdoms because their kingdom laws didn't allow me to revoke anything from them. But now I suddenly can. I didn't change any laws and they are still not a de jure part of my empire.

BioMe fucked around with this message at 16:03 on May 18, 2014

Main Paineframe
Oct 27, 2010

BioMe posted:

There isn't one - even absolute authority won't completely put an end to it. Just have to make sure you have your desired succession laws set in stone before your realm gets too big. The best you can hope for now, barring a major realm reorganization, is that you get really, really lucky.

BioMe posted:

Uh, they fight because they have claims, not because they are unhappy, and revoking titles just creates more claimants. And I can't just go revoking everything if I want to change the laws now can I? Also giving troublemakers kingdom level titles, and it doesn't really guarantee the civil wars don't just scale up. Aren't kingdoms way more likely to have succession revolts anyway?

Yeah, the problem seems to be that only applies to the de jure realm, but to change succession laws you have to have peace everywhere.

EDIT: Okay, weird. I didn't really have a way to deal with the dukes that created their own kingdoms because their kingdom laws didn't allow me to revoke anything from them. But now I suddenly can. I didn't change any laws and they are still not a de jure part of my empire.

They probably raised their own crown authorities. Their newly-created kingdoms might have started at limited authority, but that doesn't mean they'll stay there.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

This wouldn't be so bad if every little vassal-on-vassal war didn't end with one side parking their 4000 man army on the other's capital and just waiting for the warscore to slowly reach 100%.

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Sorted the problem with creating the Jewish High Priesthood. Turns out that not only do you have to hold Jerusalem and have turned it Jewish, you also have to have built the Third Temple and created Israel. It's a lot of work to go to to get a divorce, I'm telling you.

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011
Who needs divorce if you can just :ese:

Trujillo
Jul 10, 2007

TaurusTorus posted:

For whatever reason, when I play mp, I find its best to have everyone disconnect and reconnect to a new server whenever it desynchs, without closing the game, that always gets me about 100 years before the next desynch.

Thanks, we'll have to try that next time. We were getting a desynch pretty much every time we'd start, then we'd close the game, rehost, and get another desynch right at the start.

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

BioMe posted:

If it is a minor backwater you could just grant them independence. No tyranny penalty for that. You can sweep them up again later.

Roland Jones
Aug 18, 2011

by Nyc_Tattoo
Man, reading the forums for this game bummed me out. After being frustrated by the extreme limitations on who can get absolute cognatic inheritance in this game, I decided to do some research on gender roles in Zoroastrianism. One of the early results was actually a thread on the Paradox forums about gender equality for Zoroastrians, and, as you might expect, it had a bunch of shitlords coming in to complain that that would be unrealistic and unlikely and blah blah blah. In particular there was a guy claiming to have a copy of the Avesta and have read it (he pretty clearly did not) and responding to every claim with demands for proof, despite providing no evidence to back his own claims up.

Really, the game should let you change to absolute cognatic as easily as it does to agnatic if you aren't Muslim, and just let religion/culture decide if female rulers get an opinion penalty or not. And Zoroastrians definitely shouldn't get one, seeing as the religion is pretty even on the matter, with Zoroaster's writings including things like how a woman should choose her husband and whatnot. Yes, the Sassanids were extremely patriarchal, but defining Zoroastrianism entirely by the Sassanids in a time centuries after they were destroyed is ridiculous. Heck, going absolute cognatic makes more sense than agnatic for feudal rulers, since the latter opens your family up to losing everything if you happen to be bad at producing sons.

Ithle01
May 28, 2013

Major Isoor posted:

drat. I tried doing that trick mentioned several pages ago, where you turn yourself into a republic by making it so you lose your castle capital and are forced to hold only a city, but all I got was a 'game over' screen, stating that as I became a republic, I can't continue. :( I was playing as Buddhist Lanka and I'm using the latest beta patch, if either of those factor into this. Does anyone know what went wrong? I'd love to be able to play an ironman game as an Indian republic, but it just doesn't seem to want to let me.

This is exactly what I'm trying to do and I'm failing too. If you get it to work let me know (and of course if I pull it off I'll tell you)

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

mornhaven posted:

Who needs divorce if you can just :ese:

When your wife has 23 Intrigue it's easier said than done.

That said, when you pick a wife for Stewardship it can be quite amusing. I think my record was 2304% Plot Power.

BioMe
Aug 9, 2012

Angela Christine posted:

If it is a minor backwater you could just grant them independence. No tyranny penalty for that. You can sweep them up again later.

The thing is I'm starting to restore Roman borders so I have a whole lot of infighting backwater and a whole lot of sweeping to do as it is. Also at the moment they are fighting in the middle of the Byzantine Empire too, because of the dukes doing some title revoking of their own. Crown authority doesn't stop those wars either.

The Mighty Biscuit
Feb 13, 2012

Abi gezunt dos leben ken men zikh ale mol nemen.

I think I took a wrong turn at Dublin guys. Can someone point me back in the direction of England?

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug

Knuc U Kinte posted:

Another annoying bug: designate heir doesn't seem to work. I designated someone else as my heir, but my old heir is still standing in line for the Dogeship. I suspect this will bite me in the rear end when the game decides to calculate the winner and acts as if the designated heir is my heir and I lose, when my glitched heir is slated to win in the Republic tab.

It works just, for some reason, heirs don't always happen right away in merchant republics. My most recent Doge, in a dynasty with dozens of eligible relatives, started with "oh noes there is no heir of your dynasty!!!!" so I picked some kinsman with good stats and said "OK, this guy right here, he can take over when I die get murdered." It still said "no heir" and had the guy with no heir for like a month.

I don't know what weird quirk there is with republics but inheritance gets kind of munged up.

quote:

Heck, going absolute cognatic makes more sense than agnatic for feudal rulers, since the latter opens your family up to losing everything if you happen to be bad at producing sons.

That was actually a fairly common problem, which caused varying degrees of succession issues depending on how patriarchal societies were. Some cultures would absolutely not follow a woman ruler. Then you had places like ancient Egypt where you'd sometimes end up with a woman pharaoh who would put on a fake beard and dress like a guy because gently caress you, I'm the pharaoh.

ToxicSlurpee fucked around with this message at 00:34 on May 19, 2014

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe
The heir issue isn't just with republics, it's just more noticeable with them. Sometimes the game is slow to recognize when your heir has changed and still displays the old heir. If you save and reload it should fix it.

Re: absolute cognatic succession, it's not really that hard to mod it so that everyone can use it, provided you aren't using any other mods that mess with succession.

ToxicSlurpee
Nov 5, 2003

-=SEND HELP=-

Pillbug
Is it possible to mod in female doges or to allow women to inherit in republics?

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
Do kids of concubines count as heirs in non-Norse countries?

Like, could I raid Constantinople repeatedly until I took the Empress prisoner, then concubine her, :ese: her other kids, and produce a member of my house that would inherit the empire?

Kainser
Apr 27, 2010

O'er the sea from the north
there sails a ship
With the people of Hel
at the helm stands Loki
After the wolf
do wild men follow
Can't take rulers as your concubine.

e; but yes, children of concubines inherit on the same grounds as your regular kids and get claims etc..

mornhaven
Sep 10, 2011
I'm pretty sure you can't concubine rulers.

e: beaten

The Cheshire Cat
Jun 10, 2008

Fun Shoe

ToxicSlurpee posted:

Is it possible to mod in female doges or to allow women to inherit in republics?

I'm not sure about that. Theoretically just changing the gender inheritance laws to remove their exclusion for merchant republics would allow women to be heirs to a merchant family, and then from there the normal republic elective system would just treat them as any other head of a family. I haven't tested it out though so it's possible that even if you enable different gender succession laws for merchant families you may not actually be able to change to them if they've been hard coded to always use agnatic seniority.

*edit* I made a quick and dirty gender succession mod for anyone who's interested: Get it here! (Go to File->Download to get the .zip file, then just unzip into your "My Documents/Paradox Interactive/Crusader Kings II/mod" folder)

It literally just opens up all gender succession laws to everyone, including the normally disabled enatic and enatic-cognatic options. I haven't tested it beyond seeing whether or not it actually shows up in game, so I can't guarantee it will work correctly for Muslims or republics, or how the AI will handle them.

The Cheshire Cat fucked around with this message at 01:26 on May 19, 2014

QuoProQuid
Jan 12, 2012

Tr*ckin' and F*ckin' all the way to tha
T O P

What determines who I can and cannot call into war? It seems random and irregular.

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

QuoProQuid posted:

What determines who I can and cannot call into war? It seems random and irregular.

One big factor is that a character can't be an enemy to anyone they are allied with. So depending on who called who first you can get different results.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless

Kainser posted:

e; but yes, children of concubines inherit on the same grounds as your regular kids and get claims etc..

so if I just kidnapped the princess of Italy, her claims will go to my sons right?

Cantorsdust
Aug 10, 2008

Infinitely many points, but zero length.

The Mighty Biscuit posted:

I think I took a wrong turn at Dublin guys. Can someone point me back in the direction of England?

Ah, the other Reconquista.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Ughhh, I was playing Sancho of Aragon from 1066 and managed to secure my son's betrothal to the queen of Leon and Galicia. 6 years into his reign, his 22-year old wife dies of a flu, leaving Leon and Galicia to separate inheritors because the former was elective and the latter still on gavelkind (seriously??? get your poo poo together). I don't know if I stand a chance against the Almoravids, who have 14k doomstacks and 13 counties in Spain, plus 23 in Africa, vs the whopping... 8 in Aragon, and 25 in the rest of Christian Spain. On the one hand, I have a chance because the AI isn't too smart, but on the other hand, neither are my Spanish allies. Too much inbreeding, probably.

fool of sound
Oct 10, 2012
Looking for some advice on editing the conversion decisions so that NPCs can and will passively switch to their liege's culture/religion over time. Will this work if I make the noted changes, or will I need to do something else?

code:
	convert_to_liege_religion = {
		potential = {
			is_playable = yes <-Remove this
			liege = {
				NOT = { character = ROOT }
				NOT = { religion = ROOT }
				religion_group = ROOT
			}
		}
		allow = {
			NOT = { trait = zealous }
		}
		effect = {
			prestige = -500
			if = {
				limit = { higher_tier_than = BARON }
				religion_authority = {
					modifier = ruler_converted_from
				}
			}
			liege = {
				reverse_religion = ROOT
			}
			if = {
				limit = { higher_tier_than = BARON }
				hidden_tooltip = {
					religion_authority = {
						modifier = ruler_converted_to
					}
				}
			}
			if = {
				limit = { liege = { trait = shaivist_hindu } }
				add_trait = shaivist_hindu
			}
			if = {
				limit = { liege = { trait = vaishnavist_hindu } }
				add_trait = vaishnavist_hindu
			}
			if = {
				limit = { liege = { trait = shaktist_hindu } }
				add_trait = shaktist_hindu
			}
			if = {
				limit = { liege = { trait = smartist_hindu } }
				add_trait = smartist_hindu
			}
			if = {
				limit = { liege = { trait = mahayana_buddhist } }
				add_trait = mahayana_buddhist
			}
			if = {
				limit = { liege = { trait = vajrayana_buddhist } }
				add_trait = vajrayana_buddhist
			}
			if = {
				limit = { liege = { trait = theravada_buddhist } }
				add_trait = theravada_buddhist
			}
			if = {
				limit = { liege = { trait = digambara_jain } }
				add_trait = digambara_jain
			}
			if = {
				limit = { liege = { trait = svetambara_jain } }
				add_trait = svetambara_jain
			}
			piety = 200
		}
		revoke_allowed = {
			always = no
		}
		ai_will_do = {
			factor = 0 <-Change this to .1 or so (advice on value?)
		}
	}
And make the same changes to the cultural decision, of course.

James Garfield
May 5, 2012
Am I a manipulative abuser in real life, or do I just roleplay one on the Internet for fun? You decide!

The Cheshire Cat posted:

It literally just opens up all gender succession laws to everyone, including the normally disabled enatic and enatic-cognatic options. I haven't tested it beyond seeing whether or not it actually shows up in game, so I can't guarantee it will work correctly for Muslims or republics, or how the AI will handle them.
I don't think the AI will ever change gender laws.

Kainser posted:

What happens if you concubine a ruler's daughter and kill all her siblings?

Facebook Aunt
Oct 4, 2008

wiggle wiggle

It is too bad culture is such an absolute thing. Some French guy moves to Hungary and 40 years later he is still annoyed that his liege (and everyone else at court) is Hungarian, meanwhile everyone around him is annoyed by his accent. But if you let adults change their culture, and then the French guy unexpectedly inherits a title back home, everyone in France is going to hate this Hungarian buffoon.

reignonyourparade
Nov 15, 2012
One thing I really liked about CK1 (there are actually a few things I miss from CK1, it felt a lot more Feudal), was it had the "70% chance a kid is his father's culture, 15% chance a kid is his mother's culture, 15% chance a kid is the capital's culture" thing.

Moridin920
Nov 15, 2007

by FactsAreUseless
I'm trying to install a Norse emperor in the Byzantine Empire. Every time I win the 'Claim Empire' war and put him on the throne he gets booted off a week or two later, no war or anything. The title just goes to some other Orthodox doux, who then revokes the Duchy of Constantinople and I'm back at square one. What gives?

Moridin920 fucked around with this message at 05:41 on May 19, 2014

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

I finally had time to play a bit of Paradox this weekend and settled on an "Enlightenment" playthrough with a Roman Cathar doge of Venice, thinking I could go absolute cognatic. No such luck, but I had what may have been my best ever CK2 ruler.

I started off with a ruler designed Roman Cathar genius, married, took a loan from the Jews and beelined for the Trade Post building upgrades so I could lock down the Venice area immediately. Nothing really happened except for building trade stuff, since I couldn't afford enough mercenaries to take on Italy. During my second ruler's reign, I got occasional marriage events for my dynasty members where they would marry women from far-off lands, and my ruler's brother married a strong/genius Ethiopian. So I had him and my wife assassinated and married his widow, of course.

Future Grand Prince Severus II 'the Wise' Machiavelli was a strong genius, and he got tons of additional great traits during his education--except for Craven, he was drat near perfect (23/19/20/28/19). Then, Severus I kicked the bucked at only 58, so Severus II took the reins at 27. Severus I had taken a few surrounding provinces, but Italy started having more revolts under the new ruler. The growing income was used to buy mercenaries and forge claims on Orthodox territories in Sicily, hoping to reach Africa for quick Holy Wars. Unfortunately, the Tulunids somehow went Miaphysite and conquered the whole joint (:stare:) before he could get there, so there was no way besides claim spamming. Once he hit Aquileia, though, he started cutting a swath through the Karolingians and Slavs.

Three top merc companies rolled into one stack, fueled by republican gold, rolled straight over any opposition, and a growing retinue of archer/heavy inf sieged almost any province down instantly until his last decade. All conquered duchies were assigned one female roman priest per bishopric and one male roman mayor per county, ensuring maximum spread of Roman culture and Cathar religion. His advisors eventually became absurdly good, since every new county spawned several courts of new Roman Cathars. While Severus was mowing down barbarians, his spymaster was killing Greeks almost as quickly as he was. The entire 30-member ruling Makedon dynasty was assassinated for the purpose of putting my dynasty on the throne, as was some smaller dynasty whose name I forget. Vassals with Ambitious, or who weren't Roman Cathars, were also assassinated liberally.

For the fifty-five long years of his rule, Severus II was an unstoppable murder machine. By the time he died, his European conquests spread from the Gulf of Finland and the Bay of Biscay, in addition to Jerusalem and Alexandria, and the Reconquista had begun; his dynasty had a heir with a weak claim to the Byzantine throne; he had made Catharism the main branch of Christianity, and vassalized all the Holy Orders; finally, he was basically printing money with over 100k in the treasury.

It feels so good when everything goes right in this game. :unsmith:

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

^^^ Not trying to be mean, but the idea of Roman culture as "enlightened" is pop-history in the extreme.

reignonyourparade posted:

One thing I really liked about CK1 (there are actually a few things I miss from CK1, it felt a lot more Feudal), was it had the "70% chance a kid is his father's culture, 15% chance a kid is his mother's culture, 15% chance a kid is the capital's culture" thing.

I don't know, I think that's something that still makes more sense as a function of education. Since people can voluntarily change their own culture, it can be assumed that culture is entirely self-identification; and that kind of cultural identity isn't something that you're born with; it's learned.

The only tweak I'd make to the current setup is for a differently-cultured guardian to shift their ward's culture if it's also the culture of the province the ward is being raised in. So if I roll in and become the Norman King of Jerusalem, make my capital in the holy city, and hire a Levantine Arab to raise my son, there's a chance he'll go native.

DStecks fucked around with this message at 05:49 on May 19, 2014

Dick Trauma
Nov 30, 2007

God damn it, you've got to be kind.
I only just discovered that if your character is depressed there's an Intrigue option to commit suicide. :smith:

Zodium
Jun 19, 2004

Dick Trauma posted:

I only just discovered that if your character is depressed there's an Intrigue option to commit suicide. :smith:

That option is why Depressed is the best trait.

DStecks
Feb 6, 2012

Zodium posted:

It is kinda counter-intuitive, but yeah, Depressed gives you the ability to choose when you die, which means you can do all the tyranny-incurring stuff you like and then dump all of it at the click of a button.

It really ought to impose more severe skill penalties, or even a random chance that you'll just up and off yourself without making the decision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

occipitallobe
Jul 16, 2012

Zodium posted:

Imprison and revoke the properties of all your dukes and then off yourself. Imprison and banish anyone with enough gold to fund your son's conquering spree. Whatever, really. Depressed kings are basically goldmines that allow you to put your heir in a ridiculously powerful position. I once had a depressed King of France who (coupled with a rather impressive spymaster) imprisoned every single one of his dukes, power-banished them in a single day and then committed suicide (I like to think the spirit of Marx was inhabiting him, causing him to have irresistable urges to destroy the upper class and finishing up with himself).

I think his son had something like 10k gold to start his reign with.

• Locked thread