Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Jorath
Jul 9, 2001
I'm looking for advice on selecting a simple 4-6 bay NAS device. I have two 3TB WD Red disks already, and I'm planning to get one more drive and run raid 5 in it.

I"m a windows user at home & work, but not averse to some command-line scripting if needed. I don't need to box to do any work- it'll just be serving files to 2-4 windows machines. I'm hoping for something that I can just setup and forget.

Choosing from among the wide set of options from $200-$500 is a little dizzying.

I'm planning on having it on all the time in a piece of furniture with poor ventilation, so low heat output is a plus. If needed I can drill some holes to vent it.

Is there a compelling reason for me not to get a simple box like the Teratrend TS432U or VANTEC NexStar HX4R NST-640S3R-BK?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Jorath posted:

I'm looking for advice on selecting a simple 4-6 bay NAS device. I have two 3TB WD Red disks already, and I'm planning to get one more drive and run raid 5 in it.

I"m a windows user at home & work, but not averse to some command-line scripting if needed. I don't need to box to do any work- it'll just be serving files to 2-4 windows machines. I'm hoping for something that I can just setup and forget.

Choosing from among the wide set of options from $200-$500 is a little dizzying.

I'm planning on having it on all the time in a piece of furniture with poor ventilation, so low heat output is a plus. If needed I can drill some holes to vent it.

Is there a compelling reason for me not to get a simple box like the Teratrend TS432U or VANTEC NexStar HX4R NST-640S3R-BK?
Those are just RAID enclosures and would require a host machine. Is this what you want, or would you rather have a low power dedicated fileserver that stands alone? The advantage of one of the 'appliances' (synology, qnap, et al) is that most do a growable soft raid 5 that gives you more flexibility when you need to increase your storage, along with easy configuration, and lower power draw than most roll your own solutions. Since your requirements are pretty low, you could get away with one of the cheaper units and be fine.

Krailor
Nov 2, 2001
I'm only pretending to care
Taco Defender

Jorath posted:

NAS Stuff

For a NAS appliance you're looking at probably either a QNAP or Synology and a 4-5 bay unit would be right at the top of your budget.

I'd suggest taking a look at a N54L running xpenology. It can fit up to 6 drives for about half the cost of a comparable synology unit, runs very cool, and is almost as easy to setup as a regular synology unit.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

I've never looked in to xpenology, so I googled it, found xpenology.com as the first result, and it's web page is....a forum? Is that right? That doesn't exactly inspire me with confidence.

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Thermopyle posted:

I've never looked in to xpenology, so I googled it, found xpenology.com as the first result, and it's web page is....a forum? Is that right? That doesn't exactly inspire me with confidence.

Well its a hack, not a commercial product. You are loading a usb stick with a boot loader that will run synologys DSM software.

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

I'm hoping to have a computer running Xpenology soon just for fun/media stuff, but I wouldn't use it for anything serious and wouldn't recommend others do either.

AlternateAccount
Apr 25, 2005
FYGM

Thermopyle posted:

Works good, man. Not for production use.

Brain65
Jan 19, 2012

I have an older ReadyNas array, 6TB capacity. What would be a good solution to backup that data? Tape? Would you guys recommend any tape system? I can always just make another array and use my current one for backup but the price for a new NAS if going to be on the order of 500-1000$. Are there any cheaper tape backup systems?

Civil
Apr 21, 2003

Do you see this? This means "Have a nice day".

Brain65 posted:

I have an older ReadyNas array, 6TB capacity. What would be a good solution to backup that data? Tape? Would you guys recommend any tape system? I can always just make another array and use my current one for backup but the price for a new NAS if going to be on the order of 500-1000$. Are there any cheaper tape backup systems?

USB enclosure plus a drive.
http://www.amazon.com/Seagate-Desktop-3-5-Inch-Internal-STBD6000100/dp/B00JBJ34WC/

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

...the stupid are cocksure while the intelligent are full of doubt. —Bertrand Russell

Brain65 posted:

Depending upon your exact situation you can back up 6TB to CrashPlan without buying any hardware.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

Forget it man this bat is whack, it's got poobrain!
:swoon: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7970/asrock-rack-c2750d4i-review-a-storage-motherboard-with-management :swoon:

Intel Avoton C2750
12x SATA Ports :dong:
1 x PCIe 2.0 x8
TWO Intel NICs
1x Realtek NIC (management?)

That thing was MADE for a DS380.

(There's also a babby version of this board in the C2550D4I which is 100 clams less)

edit: also that 25W Kabini is looking attractive for NAS.

deimos fucked around with this message at 22:23 on May 15, 2014

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

AnandTech posted:

Users have been reporting that in Linux and FreeBSD, high intensity read/write workloads cause the controller to reset and elements to any software array are lost. It would seem that the C2750D4I is more suited to two/four-drive RAID arrays where each array does not span controllers.
That's kinda disappointing, but I suppose you can't really expect that much from Marvell controllers.

And yes, the Realtek RTL8211 NIC is for management.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

D. Ebdrup posted:

Well, I'm sure that ZFS expects whole access to the drive (which also means no sliced partitions) and that it will benefit from NCQ and OS-level control over the write cache (which it doesn't have without SATA passthrough, although I can't find the actual documentation saying this beyond this). Think of it this way: SATA Passthrough makes the HBA function as if the drives are directly on the computers motherboard . Also, flashing it means you can use the card without a driver (for FreeBSD/FreeNAS you'll need this, since FreeBSD doesn't have a driver for it, like the guy you quoted mentioned in his post).
However, it's all theoretical and can be solved right soon: if you buy a M1015 or 9240-i8, you can check yourself by first creating a pool in ZFS without flashing the firmware and doing bonnie++ benchmarks, then destroying that pool, flashing the card, and recreating the pool, then doing bonnie++ benchmarks. Either way, you get a working pool with a HBA and we find the answer with some numbers to prove it, rather than just theories from forum posters.

I'm finally getting around to trying this.

I'm not familiar with bonnie++, any suggestions on what kind of benchmarks to run to expose the issues here?

Straker
Nov 10, 2005
Sorry if this has come up, I used to follow this thread but haven't read it in ~6 months, not sure where else to ask...

So um, as of a day or two ago CrashPlan thinks all my folders are empty aside from one huge .rar file in the root of the hard drive it's on. In the main backup screen, under Files it shows all my folders, then to the right, "1 file 0MB". I can choose what to back up and expand folders and the subfolders/files will be ticked as they should be. The files are all still of course extant, and I didn't drunkenly exclude all filetypes or anything like that. I even got a status email today that happily told me my backup set is now 25GB, down like 4TB from last week! Thanks CrashPlan!

Anyone seen behavior like this before? For now I at least hope it thinks I deleted all my files rather than deselected them for backup, thereby keeping them on their end, since I've spent like 5 months reuploading >2TB of files after the first time they deleted all my stuff...

sleepy gary
Jan 11, 2006

Straker posted:

Sorry if this has come up, I used to follow this thread but haven't read it in ~6 months, not sure where else to ask...

So um, as of a day or two ago CrashPlan thinks all my folders are empty aside from one huge .rar file in the root of the hard drive it's on. In the main backup screen, under Files it shows all my folders, then to the right, "1 file 0MB". I can choose what to back up and expand folders and the subfolders/files will be ticked as they should be. The files are all still of course extant, and I didn't drunkenly exclude all filetypes or anything like that. I even got a status email today that happily told me my backup set is now 25GB, down like 4TB from last week! Thanks CrashPlan!

Anyone seen behavior like this before? For now I at least hope it thinks I deleted all my files rather than deselected them for backup, thereby keeping them on their end, since I've spent like 5 months reuploading >2TB of files after the first time they deleted all my stuff...

Try double clicking on the logo in the upper right, then type backup.scan and press enter. Close the popup window and look in your backup tab and see what happens.

UndyingShadow
May 15, 2006
You're looking ESPECIALLY shadowy this evening, Sir

deimos posted:

:swoon: http://www.anandtech.com/show/7970/asrock-rack-c2750d4i-review-a-storage-motherboard-with-management :swoon:

Intel Avoton C2750
12x SATA Ports :dong:
1 x PCIe 2.0 x8
TWO Intel NICs
1x Realtek NIC (management?)

That thing was MADE for a DS380.

(There's also a babby version of this board in the C2550D4I which is 100 clams less)

edit: also that 25W Kabini is looking attractive for NAS.

The marvel controller dropout problem is kinda a deal breaker. What do they expect people to use with that board if not software raid?

I'd love to find a smaller case that could hold 12 3.5 drives.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

DNova posted:

Try double clicking on the logo in the upper right, then type backup.scan and press enter. Close the popup window and look in your backup tab and see what happens.

Command was successful, 0MB 0MB 0MB, backup complete! :haw:

As an addendum, I think it started doing this after one of my drives went flaky and started dropping out of Windows, but I really can't see any legitimate reason for that to cause CrashPlan to spaz trying to deal with the half dozen remaining volumes.

caberham
Mar 18, 2009

by Smythe
Grimey Drawer

UndyingShadow posted:

The marvel controller dropout problem is kinda a deal breaker. What do they expect people to use with that board if not software raid?

I'd love to find a smaller case that could hold 12 3.5 drives.

I find it amusing that the best consumer case for this motherboard is made by Silverstone when ASUS practically makes everything :downsrim:

It's a first generation product so it's a bit iffy. Brilliant concept though, finally board makers are doing something new and not just popping the same type of reference layout all the time. Perhaps Gen2 will have onboard audio, a better HDD secondary controller and taller heat sink.

BlankSystemDaemon
Mar 13, 2009

Thermopyle posted:

I'm finally getting around to trying this.

I'm not familiar with bonnie++, any suggestions on what kind of benchmarks to run to expose the issues here?
This page on calomel.org lists a good benchmark for testing platter disks: "bonnie++ -r 8192 -s 81920 -d /tank -f -b -n 1" with man page for bonnie++ here to describe the different options.
Incidentally, calomel.org is a very good site that has lots of interesting tidbits like a SSH two-factor gatekeeper (which can be extended with freeradius to provide two-factor authentication to all systems, and even to LDAP which I've spent this friday morning doing on my local network for the router, switches, Synology NAS, server, workstation and laptop).

BlankSystemDaemon fucked around with this message at 11:06 on May 16, 2014

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.

Straker posted:

So um, as of a day or two ago CrashPlan thinks all my folders are empty aside from one huge .rar file in the root of the hard drive it's on. In the main backup screen, under Files it shows all my folders, then to the right, "1 file 0MB".
I've had this problem when CrashPlan ran out of memory. It could be choking on that huge .rar file. Try moving it away and checking what happens then. If it works flawlessly, either upgrade the memory in your system or split the .rar up in a few smaller chunks.

Straker
Nov 10, 2005

Sagacity posted:

I've had this problem when CrashPlan ran out of memory. It could be choking on that huge .rar file. Try moving it away and checking what happens then. If it works flawlessly, either upgrade the memory in your system or split the .rar up in a few smaller chunks.
That file's been there for ages, I'm just saying that for some weird reason that's currently the ONLY file it's capable of seeing :(
That reminded me though, I did have out of memory problems before (like, over a year ago), but I checked and I'd already upped CrashPlan to 1024MB of RAM. I tried setting -xmx2048M or even 4096 but for some reason the service just starts and then immediately stops whenever I let CP use more than a gig of RAM, that seems hosed up too. Usually when it runs out of RAM the service just continuously starts and stops.

Straker fucked around with this message at 14:32 on May 16, 2014

Sagacity
May 2, 2003
Hopefully my epitaph will be funnier than my custom title.
Yeah, that doesn't seem right.

The reason I'm talking about the large file though: I think CrashPlan keeps some kind of hash of all files it backups in-memory to do the deduplication. So, if you have too many files in total, it may choke. So previously that rar wasn't a problem, but maybe now it is - in combination with your other files.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

Just contact crashplan support. They're very helpful.

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

UndyingShadow posted:

Keep arrays on their own controllers for now, it's hopefully firmware or driver solvable.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

deimos posted:

Keep arrays on their own controllers for now, it's hopefully firmware or driver solvable.
Except the controllers split the ports into a 6/4/2 set, which really complicates trying to keep arrays on single controllers unless you want to do 6x2 or 2x4 arrays, the first of which is of highly questionable utility, and the second of which is available on other motherboards already. And it's still using Marvell controllers either way, which isn't exactly reassuring to someone who's already looking at plunking down easily $1500 for drives to populate everything.

Ika
Dec 30, 2004
Pure insanity

My diskstation arrived today, and I have a few questions.

I have been looking at the backup options and am trying the data replicator. It doesn't seem to allow multiple backup source / destination / schedule sets. I thought I could work around that by sharing the subfolder it creates as a new read only share on my network, but I can't figure out how to share a subfolder, when creating a new share I can't seem to specify an existing folder.

Also, I tried looking into the cloud station backup as an alternative, is there any way I can use the hostname of the diskstation to connect to it instead of the IP? When I try entering the hostname it thinks it is a quickconnect ID and tries to connect to someone else's drive over the net.

Thermopyle
Jul 1, 2003

I came across some conflicting information about whether or not it was necessary to flash 9240-8i cards with firmware supporting IT mode for ZFS. The argument is that ZFS requires direct access to the drives for caches and NCQ and the like, and these LSI cards only supported passing the drives directly through to the OS with the IT mode BIOS. Others claim that the 9240 cards already pass drives through to the OS as long as you don't assign them to arrays in the card's configuration screens.

I benchmarked pre- and post-flashing to clear up the confusion. After benchmarking I'm not really any clearer on the subject!

It's possible (likely?) that I didn't use the right benchmark configuration to expose the information I'm looking for. It's also possible (likely?) that these benchmarks do expose the info I'm looking for and I'm just too dumb to see it.

Basically, it looks like things change after you flash, but overall pre- or post- flash isn't obviously better except for specific types of workloads.

For example, creating files is extremely faster before flashing to the IT mode BIOS. On the other hand, random seeking uses a lot less CPU after flashing the IT mode BIOS.

If I had to make a decision based just on this data, I'd say there's not much point in flashing. However, I really think more investigation is merited to say that with significant confidence. I don't think I'm going to bother flashing back to the standard 9240 BIOS now that I've already flashed away from it.

eightysixed
Sep 23, 2004

I always tell the truth. Even when I lie.

Don Lapre posted:

Why are you doing any of that?

Just add the synocommunity repo to your packages list

http://www.synocommunity.com

What happened to this? :(

Decairn
Dec 1, 2007

synocommunity went offline a week or two back for unknown reason. Try http://synology.w01.eu/ for the spk files.

MMD3
May 16, 2006

Montmartre -> Portland
A few questions from a Synology noob.

1) I tried to move my Google Drive folder over to a new share I created on my Synology. I moved the folder over but for some reason Google Drive won't let me throwing "The location selected for your Google Drive folder is not writable. Please fix this or choose another location for your Google Drive folder." I've ensured that Read/Write access is set up for Guests, is there something I'm missing or is this not possible?

2) For some reason occasionally the shares I've set up on my Synology will show up as offline. Then if I open them via explorer they'll come back online and everything will be fine again. It doesn't happen all that often but it's pretty annoying when I go to stream something via Plex or what not and it tells me it can't find my files.

ch1mp
Oct 4, 2004

Quick question: I'm making a cheap freenas box - just to play around and learn with - it will not hold any important data at this point (no ZFS). I am especially interested in the serviio and other video streaming functionality.

I am looking at the cheap haswell's for a cpu. My question is - does better cpu graphic = better streaming? ie - will i see a significant improvement in streaming performance moving up from celeron to something with 4xxx graphics (all other things being equal).

GokieKS
Dec 15, 2012

Mostly Harmless.

ch1mp posted:

Quick question: I'm making a cheap freenas box - just to play around and learn with - it will not hold any important data at this point (no ZFS). I am especially interested in the serviio and other video streaming functionality.

I am looking at the cheap haswell's for a cpu. My question is - does better cpu graphic = better streaming? ie - will i see a significant improvement in streaming performance moving up from celeron to something with 4xxx graphics (all other things being equal).

No. For streaming without transcoding any CPU that you can actually buy new at this point will be fine. For transcoding the GPU is a non-factor unless some solution that actually takes advantage of QuickSync has finally popped up (which I don't believe it has) - it's just CPU performance. So a CPU that has a higher-end iGPU will actually perform better than the Celeron, but not because it has a better GPU.

hohum
Mar 17, 2010

umoms.
I think I want to do a DIY NAS with FreeBSD and ZFS.

All I really need for it is a motherboard that can hold a lot of disks. Anyone have any suggestions?

deimos
Nov 30, 2006

hohum posted:

I think I want to do a DIY NAS with FreeBSD and ZFS.

All I really need for it is a motherboard that can hold a lot of disks. Anyone have any suggestions?

Any motherboard and an m1015.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

deimos posted:

Any motherboard and an m1015.

Yes, that, or any other rebadged LSI SAS2008 card. You can usually get them for under $100 on eBay. Don't forget the breakout cables, and flash to IT mode for ZFS.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

ASK ME ABOUT MY OPINIONS ON CANCEL CULTURE
My files are a mess.

Long story short: I have two 1 TB external hard drives. About 80% of what is on hard drive A is also on hard drive B

Each individual hard drive also has lots of duplicate files (some with the same name but in different folders, some in the same folder but with different names, etc...) So first I guess I'd like to get rid of duplicates on both individual hard drives. What's the best way to scan a hard drive and delete duplicates?

Then, I'd like to combine the two hard drives on to only one while again avoiding any duplicates between the two. How would I do this?

Is there software I should be using? I'm looking to clean things up and organize them.

Avian Pneumonia fucked around with this message at 19:47 on May 22, 2014

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

What OS? This is fairly simple to do with rsync on *nix-type systems. Be sure to do a dry run first (regardless which tool you use) to see what'll actually be deleted before letting it delete anything.

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

SamDabbers posted:

What OS? This is fairly simple to do with rsync on *nix-type systems. Be sure to do a dry run first (regardless which tool you use) to see what'll actually be deleted before letting it delete anything.

I'm on Windows 7 right now but may update to 8 if that'll help.

SamDabbers
May 26, 2003

Maybe a Powershell solution like one of these?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Avian Pneumonia
May 24, 2006

SamDabbers posted:

Maybe a Powershell solution like one of these?

This looks scary and complicated. Is it? It probably isn't.

I see programs that appear to do what I'm looking for but I'm wondering if there is a specific recommendation, I guess.