Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Sauer
Sep 13, 2005

Socialize Everything!
In the wasted world of Drangleic, everyone has a fat waist.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

NihilVerumNisiMors posted:

Man, I specifically chose one of the thinner body types on my character but many armor sets still make her look like a sack of potatoes (Syan, Benhart's for example). :(

a big part of that is because even female body types are still based off the same male mesh--that's why the shoulders for every body type are the same width.

it's also because they got lazy and really didn't bother changing how the armor looks for a lot of body types so when you equip it your girl character's body suddenly becomes a dude body.

extremebuff
Jun 20, 2010

Tallgeese posted:

Just to check, does anyone know what the longest unique R1 chain is?

As in, if you spam R1, how many unique attacks do you get off and for what weapon.

Probably santier's spear or ricard's rapier.

Improbable Lobster
Jan 6, 2012

"From each according to his ability" said Ares. It sounded like a quotation.
Buglord

Cardboard Box posted:

a big part of that is because even female body types are still based off the same male mesh--that's why the shoulders for every body type are the same width.

it's also because they got lazy and really didn't bother changing how the armor looks for a lot of body types so when you equip it your girl character's body suddenly becomes a dude body.

Cowcaster
Aug 7, 2002

So with me moving into new game plus I respecced my guy into the pve-breaking sorcerer I've not been able to shut up about respeccing into for as long as I can remember. Did I pretty much hit the mark with stats? I did bump up endurance, vigor, and vitality a bit from my default as an explorer because I'm not perfect and also for fashion souls reasons. Adp is at 17 to get me 100 agility for perfect dodges, strength is at 18 to one-hand the moonlight greatsword, dexterity is at 22 to use the monastery scimitar because I am taking it to be my wife. Future plans include taking faith up from 30 to ~35, because that's where I managed to salt the Climax hex down to and that seems like a pretty great "gently caress you" button.

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Cowcaster fucked around with this message at 07:22 on May 19, 2014

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

well yeah that's an exception that they obviously did make look different based on gender.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

Cowcaster posted:

So with me moving into new game plus I respecced my guy into the pve-breaking sorcerer I've not been able to shut up about respeccing into for as long as I can remember. Did I pretty much hit the mark with stats? I did bump up endurance, vigor, and vitality a bit from my default as an explorer because I'm not perfect and also for fashion souls reasons. Adp is at 17 to get me 100 agility for perfect dodges, strength is at 18 to one-hand the moonlight greatsword, dexterity is at 22 to use the monastery scimitar because I am taking it to be my wife. Future plans include taking faith up from 30 to ~35, because that's where I managed to salt the Climax hex down to and that seems like a pretty great "gently caress you" button.

People were saying Attunement basically compensates for lack of ADP if you do magic.

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!

Cardboard Box posted:

well yeah that's an exception that they obviously did make look different based on gender.

Are we playing the same game? Lots of armor sets have subtle changes based on which gender is wearing them.

Control Volume
Dec 31, 2008

In trying to figure out what sort of helm Heide knights wore, I stumbled across this thing

These doofy helmets are real things, that existed. All this time I just thought the ruin sentinel armor was just a From invention designed to be weird looking.

Kerc Kasha
Apr 18, 2007

CJacobs posted:

Are we playing the same game? Lots of armor sets have subtle changes based on which gender is wearing them.

Yeah armour that would change to the shape of the person (cloth, light leather, chain) do change but stuff that wouldn't (plate etc) of course you look like a barrel

CJacobs
Apr 17, 2011

Reach for the moon!
Granted, Dark Souls 1 did one-up DS2 in that way by having certain sets look totally different altogether (the male/female versions of the Shadow Set come to mind) but some still do I believe, like the tattered cloth set (formerly the pyromancer garb).

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.
I really wish I could wear the desert sourceress female pants as a male

I wanna show off thigh high boots

QuarkJets
Sep 8, 2008

I played Dark Souls mostly as Magic and Miracles users that were so-so at melee, and it was a lot of fun. For Dark Souls II I decided to do a pure-physical build: strength build with big axes/clubs, Havel's shield + Elite Knight set with enough equip load for 70% fast roll, tons of health and stamina, give no fucks about any of the casting stats. It was a blast

But now I'm ready to get back into that sweet sweet casting embrace for my next character. I've managed to completely avoid all casting-relevant information on my previous playthrough, so what are some of the bare essentials and pitfalls that I should know before getting started? Where are some of the relevant NPCs that I'll need to find, and is there a particular catalyst that I should search for?

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Kerc Kasha posted:

Yeah armour that would change to the shape of the person (cloth, light leather, chain) do change but stuff that wouldn't (plate etc) of course you look like a barrel

maybe that's the problem I experienced, since I wore medium/heavy armor for most of the game

Motherfucker posted:

I really wish I could wear the desert sourceress female pants as a male

I wanna show off thigh high boots

that's why I wear the Desert Sorceress set a lot. I love being stylish.

Fister Roboto
Feb 21, 2008

Control Volume posted:

In trying to figure out what sort of helm Heide knights wore, I stumbled across this thing

These doofy helmets are real things, that existed. All this time I just thought the ruin sentinel armor was just a From invention designed to be weird looking.

Henry VIII's helmet

(also if you check the credits, they list a medieval weaponry consultant)

FutonForensic
Nov 11, 2012

Control Volume posted:

Frog-mouth helmets. :pcgaming: They were mostly used in jousting.

Domattee
Mar 5, 2012

Cowcaster posted:

You don't need to meet the requirements for the monastery to be able to parry with it

turtlecrunch
May 14, 2013

Hesitation is defeat.
Thanks, Amana.

Ra Ra Rasputin
Apr 2, 2011
One thing I like about these games is exactly that the male and female armors are largely the same instead of the female version showing more skin.

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Cowcaster posted:

Climax is kind of unnecessary. Great Resonant Soul only takes 500 souls and does plenty of damage.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Ra Ra Rasputin posted:

One thing I like about these games is exactly that the male and female armors are largely the same instead of the female version showing more skin.

well yeah, I like that too, it's why I wore the Elite Knight Armor for most of the game. I just kinda wish my character's body shape didn't disappear too but I guess it makes sense since it's heavier armor.

oh unrelated I uploaded this video a while back and forgot to post it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtmO3rCY1ag do those carts serve any purpose? I've never tried hitting them or anything so I don't know if something comes out or what.

Cardboard Box fucked around with this message at 07:48 on May 19, 2014

Kerc Kasha
Apr 18, 2007

Cardboard Box posted:

well yeah, I like that too, it's why I wore the Elite Knight Armor for most of the game. I just kinda wish my character's body shape didn't disappear too but I guess it makes sense since it's heavier armor.

I used elite knight on my female character and there is a noticeable difference with the hip and waist compared to a male counterpart.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Oh, that's interesting. I guess I haven't seen what it looks like on male characters.

aegof
Mar 2, 2011

QuarkJets posted:

I played Dark Souls mostly as Magic and Miracles users that were so-so at melee, and it was a lot of fun. For Dark Souls II I decided to do a pure-physical build: strength build with big axes/clubs, Havel's shield + Elite Knight set with enough equip load for 70% fast roll, tons of health and stamina, give no fucks about any of the casting stats. It was a blast

But now I'm ready to get back into that sweet sweet casting embrace for my next character. I've managed to completely avoid all casting-relevant information on my previous playthrough, so what are some of the bare essentials and pitfalls that I should know before getting started? Where are some of the relevant NPCs that I'll need to find, and is there a particular catalyst that I should search for?

10/10 faith/int will get every spell vendor to talk to you.
Sorcery catalysts are kinda bad until lategame, but everyone else has a decent selection.
Binoculars will let you snipe enemies you can't target, if you're willing to abuse them they can make the game much easier.
Scaling is less important for spells, so don't be afraid to skeptic/simpleton spice spells down so you can use them.
Successful soapstoning will refresh your spellcasts, so abuse that if you like.
Upgrading your catalyst will improve damage of spells.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

Cardboard Box posted:

do those carts serve any purpose? I've never tried hitting them or anything so I don't know if something comes out or what.

They've got (normal-sized) basilisks inside them.

Also that last message was pretty good, not gonna lie.

NorthByNorthwest
Oct 9, 2012

Cardboard Box posted:

oh unrelated I uploaded this video a while back and forgot to post it https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mtmO3rCY1ag do those carts serve any purpose? I've never tried hitting them or anything so I don't know if something comes out or what.

I got one of the giants ogres to smash a cart. They have Basilisks in them.

Cardboard Box
Jul 14, 2009

Opposing Farce posted:

They've got (normal-sized) basilisks inside them.

Also that last message was pretty good, not gonna lie.

Ohhh okay. That's cool that there's actually something in them and it's not just scenery.

and yeah the horse message made me laugh a lot, hahah.

Sanctum
Feb 14, 2005

Property was their religion
A church for one

Broken Cog posted:

My highest rated message is one simply saying "Tight spot" in, well, a tight spot in Drangleic Castle.
Currently sitting at about 250 rating.
My highest rated message was by the last Old Knight with his back turned to the drawbridge leading to Old Dragonslayer. "Enemy ahead , Weakness: gorgeous view"

Even though it barely gets rated, my best will always be "Pure luck..." by the chest where you get the Black Knight Halberd. I guess people just don't understand the reference. :(

HellCopter
Feb 9, 2012
College Slice

Sanctum posted:

Even though it barely gets rated, my best will always be "Pure luck..." by the chest where you get the Black Knight Halberd. I guess people just don't understand the reference. :(

Mind saying what the reference is? I certainly don't get it.

mdct
Sep 2, 2011

Tingle tingle kooloo limpah.
These are my magic words.

Don't steal them.

Cardboard Box posted:

This actually is how armor works except for the limbs, basically. No two people can wear the same set of encompassing greaves because they have to be individually fitted to the body. Torso and helmet? Your identity is going to vanish.

There are exceptions to this. All of them involve the original wearer being extremely fat.

Motherfucker
Jul 16, 2011

I certainly dont have deep-seated issues involving birthdays.

Cardboard Box posted:

that's why I wear the Desert Sorceress set a lot. I love being stylish.

I just wanna be a crossdresser.

do a HIM from powerpuff girls cosplay with a pair of malformed claws and pyromancy.

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

:allears: I especially like the little underwater spell that comes zooming past at the end. Or is that a reflection?

Fister Roboto posted:

Henry VIII's helmet

Good lord, that's a goofy-rear end helmet. I guess it kind of made sense for Domhnall, since he's a goofy guy, but what was Maximilian thinking there, exactly?

On the topic of Fashion Souls, I put the Saint's top on my character and for some reason it makes his rear end gigantic. I'm not at home and can't post a picture right now, but it looks hella weird.

Opposing Farce
Apr 1, 2010

Ever since our drop-off service, I never read a book.
There's always something else around, plus I owe the library nineteen bucks.

HellCopter posted:

Mind saying what the reference is? I certainly don't get it.

In DS1 there's a black knight you can get to within like ten minutes of starting the game that has a chance of dropping the Black Knight Halberd, which is very powerful for how early early you can get it, but it's a random drop and the knight only spawns once so finding it is pure luck. I think some speedrun strategies hinge on restarting until you get the halberd from that knight but don't quote me on that.

Yaya
Nov 14, 2012

vancloober cablucks
Alonne Captain Armor: Best chestpiece or best chestpiece?

ComaPrison
Jan 1, 2014

by FactsAreUseless

Yaya posted:

Alonne Captain Armor: Best chestpiece or best chestpiece?

Needs moar shoulderpads.

THE AWESOME GHOST
Oct 21, 2005

I unlocked Straid and Ornifex as early as I could to mess around with all these neat boss soul weapons and they are almost all garbage. Ended up respeccing to lower my DEX because you have to raise it to a useless amount to try them all. The good ones are either NG+/Ascetic material, or bosses that are pretty much the last thing you fight. Also way too many giant swords

TexMexFoodbaby
Sep 6, 2011

by LITERALLY AN ADMIN

THE AWESOME GHOST posted:

I unlocked Straid and Ornifex as early as I could to mess around with all these neat boss soul weapons and they are almost all garbage. Ended up respeccing to lower my DEX because you have to raise it to a useless amount to try them all. The good ones are either NG+/Ascetic material, or bosses that are pretty much the last thing you fight. Also way too many giant swords

Isn't Demon's Souls the game with the supremely broken boss weapons/trades? I mean I would say that Dark's are pretty okay all things considered.

MohShuvuu
Aug 26, 2010

I eat ass.
I went into NG+ with wretch status and I've now gotten two great Lord souls without getting invaded once. What gives? I think I have around 4-5 million soul memory and using a dried finger in belfry sol didn't get me any invaders either. I've also tried using cracked red eye orbs in every area I've been to, but no one was available to be invaded.

Axel Serenity
Sep 27, 2002

The Gorp posted:

I just realized that through all my gameplay I haven't seen a single gimmick invader.
I guess they just cant win against made-for-pvp builds, so they don't get red orbs.

Well, I can't speak much for your playthrough, but know that a lot of random NG dudes have been getting bellbro'd by Scanty and Kneesocks.

I worked hard on getting those faces right so I intend to bring sexy Hell to as many unsuspecting tower-goers as possible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hyper Crab Tank
Feb 10, 2014

The 16-bit retro-future of crustacean-based transportation

MohShuvuu posted:

I went into NG+ with wretch status and I've now gotten two great Lord souls without getting invaded once. What gives? I think I have around 4-5 million soul memory and using a dried finger in belfry sol didn't get me any invaders either. I've also tried using cracked red eye orbs in every area I've been to, but no one was available to be invaded.

Best guess is that by the time NG+ rolls around, people have wised up to the idea that being in the Sentinels covenant is a waste of time, so no one bothers to do cracked blue eye orb invasions.