Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003
commanding officer of the Army of Dorkness

Murodese posted:

I picked up a U28D590D the other day (Samsung 60hz 4K) and a 780ti to power it, pretty loving pleased so far.
How are the colors? I'm intrigued by the monitor, but knowing it'll be a TN vs the glorious IPS master-race monitors I have now makes me a bit concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

KillHour
Oct 28, 2007

Zorilla posted:

Passive cables rely on DisplayPort's ability to fall back to a DVI signal when necessary, but DisplayPort can't do dual link, so this won't work.

I have my doubts that an active adapter will accept an overclocked signal either. Since ones that can do Dual Link usually cost well over $100, it's a better deal (and far more elegant) to just spend a little extra on a monitor with a DisplayPort input built in. The cheapest ones out there now are:
  • HP ZR2740w (Refurb: $300-360)
    Very sturdy monitor, but bottom edge of screen appears slightly dark. 1-year on-site warranty. Despite being refurbs, I've never seen one with any cosmetic issues other than a slightly crooked HP badge on it.
  • Monoprice MPLE27QPM (Frequently on sale new for $340-360 on Rakuten.com)
    Extremely bright, even at "0" brightness. It has way more IPS glow than other displays for this reason. It has a glass face covering the LCD panel, but the polarizer is really effective as blocking out glare.
  • ASUS PB278Q (Used: $400-450; New: $480)
    Same PLS panel as the X-STAR/QNIX, which I'm a big fan of. The most expensive one on this list, but worth mentioning because it's the cheapest of the "big boy" brands and common enough that you might be able to check one out at your local Fry's or other electronics store.
  • RAEANtech TR-272 (New: $350 - Korean import)
    Same excellent AUO AH-VA panel as the BenQ BL2710PT. Looks a lot like Samsung PLS panels in my opinion. Extremely light weight. Mine had issues with artifacting during the pixel walk test. Hopefully, that's just an isolated issue and not a model-wide fault.
Of all the ones above, only the ASUS and HP have internal power supplies, if that matters to you.

Forgot he said 1440p :doh:

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Think you've got what it takes?
We're looking for fine Men & Women to help Protect the Australian Way of Life.

Become part of the Legend. Defence Jobs.

DrDork posted:

How are the colors? I'm intrigued by the monitor, but knowing it'll be a TN vs the glorious IPS master-race monitors I have now makes me a bit concerned.

I have it sitting next to my U2713HM so it's pretty easy to compare, and the colours are pretty good. They're not quite as vibrant as on the IPS and the whites are a bit too strong, but overall it's very usable.

As I said, the biggest problems I've had with it so far come from DPI scaling (including Chrome, which has terrible hidpi support).

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
Given all of the useful advice in this thread re: DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort, and converting between one and another, is the industry settling on one port in the longer term? I realize it will be messy for a long time (so many VGA connections are out there...).

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

Ynglaur posted:

Given all of the useful advice in this thread re: DVI, HDMI, and DisplayPort, and converting between one and another, is the industry settling on one port in the longer term? I realize it will be messy for a long time (so many VGA connections are out there...).

Displayport is slowly moving to be the pc standard for high end. Especially once variable vsync displays arrive next year.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Don Lapre posted:

Displayport is slowly moving to be the pc standard for high end. Especially once variable vsync displays arrive next year.

Looking forward to it quite a bit. Once DVI dies, HDMI can finally work its way out of computers too. Unfortunately DVI has been sticking around for the analog pins to adapt VGA

butt dickus
Jul 7, 2007

top ten juiced up coaches
and the top ten juiced up players

Ignoarints posted:

Looking forward to it quite a bit. Once DVI dies, HDMI can finally work its way out of computers too. Unfortunately DVI has been sticking around for the analog pins to adapt VGA
HDMI will continue to be the standard for consumer-level displays and DisplayPort will be for "professional" displays.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

Doctor rear end in a top hat posted:

HDMI will continue to be the standard for consumer-level displays and DisplayPort will be for "professional" displays.

Yeah you're right... look how long VGA is persisting. And HDMI is always being updated. It's just obnoxious, really, for work reasons to me. Needing a bag of every variation of four connectors (this gets particular bad with apples for me) just in *case* for a customer can suck rear end. And sometimes it simply won't work, even if it technically could, especially with low volume specialty stuff.

Last year I used to be contracted to setup booths for convention centers and shows and sometimes I'd have to help customers connect whatever-they-brought to the static displays built into the booths. The definition of adapter hell. Especially for smaller companies and booths where they only send one or two sales reps that bring a random old apple, or even worse an ipad, and expect 1) for it to magically connect to everything always and 2) to look exactly how it looks on their screen. I mean it's not their fault for not knowing about the complexities of adapters and effect on resolution or even aspect ratios... but I'm glad I got out of that (mostly). Or even worse, someone brings an all-in-one harddrive/media server thing and wants to connect it seamlessly to say, a 15 year old large venue projector which only has BNC and VGA inputs, and the hard drive only outputs RGB 3.5mm and mini hdmi :downs: (which btw, only worked via HDMI -> DVI/VGA Adapter -> VGA-> 5 Wire BNC, no other way even though it "should" have been easier)

I had a giant road case for big shows that was as big as a huge garage tool box that was nothing but adapters and cables (although, the A/V side of adapters is worse)

So I don't do it anymore, but I greatly value standard connectors as a result of that time

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 16:12 on May 15, 2014

funroll loops
Feb 6, 2007
CAPSISSTUCK

Zorilla posted:

Passive cables rely on DisplayPort's ability to fall back to a DVI signal when necessary, but DisplayPort can't do dual link, so this won't work.

I have my doubts that an active adapter will accept an overclocked signal either. Since ones that can do Dual Link usually cost well over $100, it's a better deal (and far more elegant) to just spend a little extra on a monitor with a DisplayPort input built in. The cheapest ones out there now are:
  • HP ZR2740w (Refurb: $300-360)
    Very sturdy monitor, but bottom edge of screen appears slightly dark. 1-year on-site warranty. Despite being refurbs, I've never seen one with any cosmetic issues other than a slightly crooked HP badge on it.
  • Monoprice MPLE27QPM (Frequently on sale new for $340-360 on Rakuten.com)
    Extremely bright, even at "0" brightness. It has way more IPS glow than other displays for this reason. It has a glass face covering the LCD panel, but the polarizer is really effective as blocking out glare.
  • ASUS PB278Q (Used: $400-450; New: $480)
    Same PLS panel as the X-STAR/QNIX, which I'm a big fan of. The most expensive one on this list, but worth mentioning because it's the cheapest of the "big boy" brands and common enough that you might be able to check one out at your local Fry's or other electronics store.
  • RAEANtech TR-272 (New: $350 - Korean import)
    Same excellent AUO AH-VA panel as the BenQ BL2710PT. Looks a lot like Samsung PLS panels in my opinion. Extremely light weight. Mine had issues with artifacting during the pixel walk test. Hopefully, that's just an isolated issue and not a model-wide fault.
Of all the ones above, only the ASUS and HP have internal power supplies, if that matters to you.

Thanks for the list. Something like this would be good in the OP since there are so many choices on the market. Is the internal power supply consideration mostly about having to use adapters on power plugs and that sort of thing?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

If you're having problems you're either holding the phone wrong or you have tiny girl hands.

funroll loops posted:

Thanks for the list. Something like this would be good in the OP since there are so many choices on the market. Is the internal power supply consideration mostly about having to use adapters on power plugs and that sort of thing?

Its just if you care about having a power brick or not.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Why is mini DP and DP a thing. I know there's mini HDMI too but still. Don't think laptops use mini HDMI often

Wait what's wrong with HDMI again?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Christoff posted:

Why is mini DP and DP a thing. I know there's mini HDMI too but still. Don't think laptops use mini HDMI often

Displayport can support higher resolution/refresh rates as well as allowing for daisy chains. Which are both beneficial for pc's.

Nostalgia4Dogges
Jun 18, 2004

Only emojis can express my pure, simple stupidity.

Ah, ok. Wasn't aware it carried sound too.

Are TVs starting to support it?

Don Lapre
Mar 28, 2001

Christoff posted:

No, its made for computers.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Christoff posted:

HDMI can only manage 30hz with 4K. DP can go to 60hz. The new spec of HDMI can do 60, but it's not out for a while.

Saveron_01
Dec 27, 2004
After following along with this thread for a bit, I am still struggling to find a decent budget conscious monitor to replace my aging 24" Dell. Someone in a game that I play recommended this http://www.overstock.com/Electronics/Asus-VE278Q-27-LED-LCD-Monitor-16-9-2-ms/5277688/product.html

Mainly I use my PC for graphic design, Photoshop work, layout/design etc., but also play my fair share of games and watching videos. I was thinking of the BenQ XL2720Z, but it might be overkill for what I really need. Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010
If at all possible, see a 27" 1080p monitor in person. Some people can't stand how big the pixels look.

1440p is far better in that size but the cost can inflate drastically of course. Only thing close is a korean monitor (which if you've been following the thread a bit you're probably aware of). But if your budget can be as high as $450 your options do open up.

That being said I had a 27" 1080p and between that and a 24" apples to apples, I'd rather have a 27

edit: just noticed that $450 monitor is 1080p. My requirements are different than yours, but I'd be pretty pissed buying a $450 home use 27" monitor without a very specific reason

Ignoarints fucked around with this message at 20:56 on May 16, 2014

Dick Fagballzson
Sep 29, 2005
I'm torn between two 27" 1440p monitors, the ASUS PB278Q PLS and Dell U2713HM IPS. I don't want to spend more than about $650 on a monitor. The Asus PLS is typically about $100 cheaper and has better reviews on Amazon. Any advice?

KingEup
Nov 18, 2004
I am a REAL ADDICT
(to threadshitting)

Please ask me for my google inspired wisdom on shit I know nothing about. Actually, you don't even have to ask.

Christoff posted:

Just this one: http://www.amazon.com/Panasonic-TC-L65WT600-65-Inch-Ultra-240Hz/dp/B00G49ZAD8

Wistful of Dollars
Aug 25, 2009

Cmdrmonkey posted:

I'm torn between two 27" 1440p monitors, the ASUS PB278Q PLS and Dell U2713HM IPS. I don't want to spend more than about $650 on a monitor. The Asus PLS is typically about $100 cheaper and has better reviews on Amazon. Any advice?

Have you looked at the Korean options?

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Cmdrmonkey posted:

Both will be excellent as far as visual quality goes, and have virtually identical gaming performance. They also both have similar warranties on paper, but I'm gonna give the edge on that to Dell, since they have a long and tested track record of basically "no questions asked" returns/exchanges with their UltraSharp line, while I haven't heard any stories (good or bad) from anyone trying to replace their ASUS because of excessive backlight bleed, pixels, "it just doesn't look right," etc.

The biggest differences you're going to find are the other bits: the Dell has 4 USB 3 ports on it, while the ASUS has zero. The Dell also uses true backlight power control, vs the ASUS's PWM (which some people find quite annoying). The Dell comes better calibrated out of the box, as well. On the other hand, the ASUS has fewer complaints about crosshatching, and can (sort of) be overclocked (you can pass it a 75Hz signal, but it will drop frames--some people still insist it looks "smoother" to them, though).

You can read some reviews of them:
ASUS tftcentral ASUS prad.de
Dell tftcentral Dell prad.de

The long and short is that the Dell is, overall, the better monitor. Whether or not the places it's better in matter to you, though, should determine if it's worth the extra price.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Cmdrmonkey posted:

If you ask me, the ASUS wins every time. Maybe I just have a preference for the way PLS panels look or maybe it has to do something with me having to exchange the U2713HM six times because of defects (backlight bleed, dust intrusion, cosmetic damage to the housing) before getting upgraded to the U2713H, and then having even more problems with that model as well (squealing noise from USB hub). The fact they were able to exchange it so many times does say good things about their warranty service though.

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 23:30 on May 16, 2014

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT
Speaking of the ASUS monitor, if you end up in a dilemma between deciding whether to buy the ASUS PB278Q mentioned above or the Samsung S27A850D (a normally very expensive monitor with the same panel) because somebody is selling it cheap enough that it's actually at a competitive price for once: dear god, get the ASUS anyway. I picked up that Samsung used for $370 and the stand is terrible. So much horizontal wobble. I honestly don't know how they continue to sell it for so much more than other WQHD monitors. 3x USB 3.0 and an ambient light sensor are not worth that premium.

Oh well, on the plus side, it's mint cosmetically and the warranty expires in 2017. Which is good, because it's already off to the service center on account of some pretty bad dust contamination and backlight unevenness. The previous owner said he didn't notice any of that. Really?

Zorilla fucked around with this message at 23:36 on May 16, 2014

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Zorilla posted:

The previous owner said he didn't notice any of that. Really?
Remember that most people get by on TN screens, and even when they accidentally get an IPS, have no idea what "glow" or "backlight bleed" even means. People in this thread tend to be exponentially more critical of their monitors than the average Joe.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

DrDork posted:

Remember that most people get by on TN screens, and even when they accidentally get an IPS, have no idea what "glow" or "backlight bleed" even means. People in this thread tend to be exponentially more critical of their monitors than the average Joe.

Maybe so, but it immediately looked pretty awful with a text editor or email application filling the right half of the screen the way I usually have it. There was obvious brightness roll-off from one side of the application window to the other. Considering the guy probably paid $800+ for the monitor brand new, you'd think he would be at least as critical as I am.

Ynglaur
Oct 9, 2013

The Malta Conference, anyone?
For what it's worth, I just used the ASUS PB278Q at a conference at it was fabulous.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Zorilla posted:

Considering the guy probably paid $800+ for the monitor brand new, you'd think he would be at least as critical as I am.
A lot of people assume that "that's just the way monitors are" and don't really know that they should expect better.

Ignoarints
Nov 26, 2010

DrDork posted:

it really helps when you have nothing to compare it to as well

that being said, bad back light bleed is noticeable by everyone

Malcolm
May 11, 2008
My ASUS PB278Q just arrived, here are my impressions.

- 2560x1440 is a great looking resolution, first time I've used it and so far I like
- Stand quality is very good for a consumer monitor, easy swivel, rotate to +/- 90 degrees, raise/lower all feels natural
- Overall display quality is good, I give it an 8/10 for brightness and contrast. Impressive for a consumer display
- A little bit of back-bleed at the top edge of the monitor, 2/3 of the way across (on the right third). A fairly visible, but still minor bright bleed through on an all black screen. Not the worst I've seen

Unfortunately mine came with one more imperfection. What appeared to be be a stuck (bright) pixel, instead seems to be a small gouge in the display surface. I very carefully went over the area with a cleaning cloth and could feel something similar to large grain of sand, or perhaps a very tiny shard of something that fell out. What is left is a permanent indentation, about the size of a pixel. It has a rainbow prism effect when viewed from different angles so it's more distracting than most dead pixels.

I'm an ASUS enthusiast but this is my first monitor. Dead pixel policy looks like replacement on 3-5 or more dead pixels, maybe I can get a replacement due to the chipped nature of the screen. It is an obviously three dimensional-pit and can be felt with a fingernail through a thin cloth so I think something in manufacturing happened. Shipping looked adequately secure. Pretty small imperfection all things considered I guess.

DrDork
Dec 29, 2003

Malcolm posted:

I'm an ASUS enthusiast but this is my first monitor. Dead pixel policy looks like replacement on 3-5 or more dead pixels, maybe I can get a replacement due to the chipped nature of the screen.
If you decide to seek a replacement, do keep us updated. I'd be very interested in seeing how ASUS addresses its warranties on these monitors.

HalloKitty
Sep 30, 2005

Adjust the bass and let the Alpine blast

DrDork posted:

There are people who run their monitors at lower than native res, and the wrong aspect ratio, and don't notice what's wrong.

They don't even seem to know what's right in front of them.

Malcolm
May 11, 2008

DrDork posted:

If you decide to seek a replacement, do keep us updated. I'd be very interested in seeing how ASUS addresses its warranties on these monitors.

Sure thing, I'm going to sleep on it since there is a 7 day decision period. The defect is really not too bad, you can't even see it unless the screen is white. Plus one always runs the risk of receiving an even worse monitor in return. Overall I am impressed with the construction and quality of the ASUS PB278Q , better than the $300-500 Samsungs I have been rocking for the last 8 years. It just sucks to drop $489 on something and have it show up with any imperfections at all.

ASUS Monitor Warranty policy:
http://support.asus.com/warranty.aspx?SLanguage=en&p=13&s=31&m=PB278Q&os=&hashedid=kpVBmY9sj0Fe6k0l

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.

DrDork posted:

Also IPS glow and backlight bleed are often only noticeable where there isn't a lot of ambient light - I'd have no idea my U2412 exhibited both these things if it was sat on my desk at work.

Zorilla
Mar 23, 2005

GOING APE SPIT

Malcolm posted:

Unfortunately mine came with one more imperfection. What appeared to be be a stuck (bright) pixel, instead seems to be a small gouge in the display surface. I very carefully went over the area with a cleaning cloth and could feel something similar to large grain of sand, or perhaps a very tiny shard of something that fell out. What is left is a permanent indentation, about the size of a pixel. It has a rainbow prism effect when viewed from different angles so it's more distracting than most dead pixels.

I'm an ASUS enthusiast but this is my first monitor. Dead pixel policy looks like replacement on 3-5 or more dead pixels, maybe I can get a replacement due to the chipped nature of the screen. It is an obviously three dimensional-pit and can be felt with a fingernail through a thin cloth so I think something in manufacturing happened. Shipping looked adequately secure. Pretty small imperfection all things considered I guess.

Someone I know accidentally flipped open a knife in front of his screen and it put an indentation in the screen exactly how you described. That portion of the screen outputted white all the time, so I'm guessing it put a hole straight through the panel matrix without cracking neighboring cells, causing the backlight to shine through.

It sounds like your panel is physically damaged and there is no excuse for that from a brand new, or even a refurbished monitor. Things like dust spots and panel damage are not dead/stuck pixels, and most manufacturers treat these problems as much more serious.

Murodese
Mar 6, 2007

Anybody ever had a problem with Displayport monitors coming awake from sleep and pulling all windows back to them as primary?

Every time my monitor comes back from sleep now, everything gets dragged off my second monitor and dumped on my primary. The secondary is DVI, the main is DisplayPort. Apparently it has something to do with drivers auto-detecting a loss of monitor when the monitor goes into sleep, and there's some ways of fixing it but only using Quadro cards.

Anyone had this before and managed to fix it?

japtor
Oct 28, 2005
Vaguely similar situation here with a TV on an HTPC, seems like the PC reverts to 640x480 or thereabouts when the TV turns off and doesn't return to 1080p when turned on, unless I exit Windows Media Center and go to the desktop. Is there a way to lock output via software or is the only way a receiver or one of those HDMI dongle things?

dissss
Nov 10, 2007

I'm a terrible forums poster with terrible opinions.

Here's a cat fucking a squid.
I get that occasionally on my work setup when the secondary (connected via VGA) doesn't wake up as quickly as it usually does. It doesn't happen consistently for me though, maybe once every few weeks so I haven't looking into it further.

flappin fish
Jul 4, 2005
Can someone explain exactly what resolutions I'd be able to run off a laptop with Intel graphics, connected over HDMI - or VGA if by some strange chance that would get a higher resolution? I'm looking at Korean 27" monitors, but I'm not sure if I'll be able to run one at 2560x1440.

I have two laptops; one's an Acer V5-171 with Intel HD Graphics 2500 and the other is an Acer Aspire 1410 with an Intel GMA 4500MHD. Both have HDMI and VGA output.

Intel's quick reference guides (for Haswell/Ivy Bridge and for Intel HD Graphics) say that both support 2560x1600 over DisplayPort, but they don't mention anything about resolutions supported over HDMI or VGA.

All the Googling I've done suggests that HD Graphics 2500 would probably be able to push 2560x1440 over HDMI, although I may have to set it as a custom resolution and probably wouldn't be able to get a 60 Hz refresh rate. Almost everything I've seen says that a GMA 4500MHD maxes out at 1080p on an external display.

Does anyone know for sure whether or not one or both of these laptops would be able to use an external monitor at 2560x1440? Would it make any difference if I got a monitor with an HDMI input vs using an adapter to DVI?

Alereon
Feb 6, 2004

Dehumanize yourself and face to Trumpshed
College Slice

flappin fish posted:

Does anyone know for sure whether or not one or both of these laptops would be able to use an external monitor at 2560x1440? Would it make any difference if I got a monitor with an HDMI input vs using an adapter to DVI?
I'm pretty sure the HD 2500 laptop should output 1440p over HDMI with the latest drivers, and that spec sheet you linked claims HDMI 1.4 support. Do note that this would only work with a monitor with HDMI input, the Korean monitors with DVI input require dual-link DVI, which you can't get from an HDMI->DVI adapter. If you have DisplayPort you could use an Active DisplayPort to Dual-Link DVI adapter, but they tend to be pretty expensive. Note also that getting a Korean monitor with multiple inputs adds input lag due to the additional scaler.

Your older laptop is right out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

coolskillrex remix
Jan 1, 2007

gorsh
Since its ASUS PB278Q chat time: I like mine, only complaint is the color accuracy.. greens are kind of lovely and oversaturated, i have a colormunki and it helped a lot but greens just arent quite right. For designers/photographers who use it for a living just spend the $900 on an apple monitor and call it a day.

Speaking of apple monitors.. whats the refresh rate on retina mbp screens? its probably only 30hz right? i feel like videos have slight judder to them compared to my 60hz screens. Not as noticeable as i woudl think, considering how much of a poo poo fit people are throwing over "slow" 4k monitors.

coolskillrex remix fucked around with this message at 08:51 on May 19, 2014