Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

drat, Wang Yi's animation for her Rage Attack is great. She gets a pained, wistful expression on her face as she braces her sword.

I remember Warriors Orochi 3 made a big deal about Ma Chao not killing Cao Cao out of revenge. Woulda been better if Wang Yi had been right behind Ma Chao at the same moment he spared Cao Cao.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib
Doing the Wei hypothetical:

Who the gently caress is Zuo Ci? "What is that? Think this uprising is Sima Yi pulling the trigger on his plots? How cute. Here is a loving wizard."

Unlucky7 fucked around with this message at 09:00 on May 19, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Hello? Can you hear me? ...Perhaps if I shout? AAAAAAAAAH!
Zuo Ci has most of his story in DW7. And I think that's one of the problems is that you have to fill in a lot of gaps by playing the older DW's. Like, I totally forgot Zhen Ji was in the game until I did the hypotheticals.

Unlucky7
Jul 11, 2006

Fallen Rib

Tae posted:

Zuo Ci has most of his story in DW7. And I think that's one of the problems is that you have to fill in a lot of gaps by playing the older DW's. Like, I totally forgot Zhen Ji was in the game until I did the hypotheticals.

Was his story in the XL missions? I only played the story mode in that game for all three kingdoms.

The GIG
Jun 28, 2011

Yeah, I say "Shit" a shit-ton of times. What of it, shithead?
Zuo Ci's been out of the series since 5 and been Warriors Orochi exclusive until now because "Historically A Wizard Maybe" was a bit much for even Dynasty Warriors.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008
In the novel he was a one-chapter wonder, two-thirds of the way down the chapter's length, after Jia Xu secures Cao Pi as Cao Cao's heir.

Yardbomb
Jul 11, 2011

What's with the eh... bretonnian dance, sir?

Man, especially with how much he ends up doing in Lu Bu's hypothetical, I'm surprised they didn't give Hua Xiong some kind of unique appearance. I mean they already have something to work off with the DW7:E look that came about.

Yardbomb fucked around with this message at 09:38 on May 19, 2014

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Nah, gotta make more characters based on Zhang Fei's other other kid.

Lunethex
Feb 4, 2013

Me llamo Sarah Brandolino, the eighth Castilian of this magnificent marriage.
I'd reckon come DW9 Hua Xiong just might get his own unique look, but that prediction is based only on his helping Lu Bu in the Hypothetical.

Twelve by Pies
May 4, 2012

Again a very likpatous story

Yardbomb posted:

Man, especially with how much he ends up doing in Lu Bu's hypothetical, I'm surprised they didn't give Hua Xiong some kind of unique appearance. I mean they already have something to work off with the DW7:E look that came about.

It took them until DW 8 to actually give us all the Five Wei Generals so who knows how long we'll have to wait for Hua Xiong. Me, I'm still waiting for Cheng Pu.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Lunethex posted:

I'd reckon come DW9 Hua Xiong just might get his own unique look, but that prediction is based only on his helping Lu Bu in the Hypothetical.
Hua Xiong is pretty popular in the same 'who do you want upgraded to playable' polls that gave us Chen Gon and Lu Lingqi to begin with.

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Endorph posted:

Hua Xiong is pretty popular in the same 'who do you want upgraded to playable' polls that gave us Chen Gon and Lu Lingqi to begin with.

Who the hell knew who Linqi was

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
I already knew he had a daughter thanks to DW4-a major objective is stopping her carriage to Yuan Shu at Xiapi. Didn't know her name, though.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

She's unnamed in the Romance of the Three Kingdoms novel, but she is mentioned. She was also in Dynasty Tactics 2.

Vitamins
May 1, 2012

gschmidl posted:

I'll quote myself here to make your life, hopefully, easier:

(put the command all in one line)

Hey this worked up to a point. I can play through a tutorial now without any blackscreens but whenever I try to play story or ambition mode I get stuck on an infinite loading screen and I'm unable to close the game with the task manager so have to do a hard reset. Oh well.

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

She's also in the RTK strategy games (at least in RTK XI).

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice

The GIG posted:

Zuo Ci's been out of the series since 5 and been Warriors Orochi exclusive until now because "Historically A Wizard Maybe" was a bit much for even Dynasty Warriors.

Zhang Jiao. Although they can't exactly excise him from the games since he's literally the character who kicks off the chain of events that lets Three Kingdoms happen in the first place.

Bloodly
Nov 3, 2008

Not as strong as you'd expect.
Yes, but you can say he was a rabble-rouser and revolutionary as well as maybe a wizard. The Yellow Turbans was a Historical Thing.

...I'm reminded of 4 again. You protect Zhuge Liang's altar, and in the cutscene he says "There is no magic here. I know the wind will blow today."

It's weird when you look at everyone throwing out the crazy(Laser beams, for instance), even then. But at the same time....let's take the Yellow Turbans in one of their missions. The winds are windmills, yet the Phantom Army is caused by giant cauldrons of POWER that need smashing. Sun Jian calls this a 'gimmick'.

On another note, I'm disliking the nature of how the off-screen is handled in 8XLCE. People are dying in literal seconds with the morale bar only a little on the red side. I know, it's always Up To You, but this is excessive. Add to this bases you capture somehow flipping back in seconds from...apparently nothing, and I have annoyance.

Bloodly fucked around with this message at 13:53 on May 19, 2014

Golden Goat
Aug 2, 2012

They should never remove Zhang Jiao from the games

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Bloodly posted:

Add to this bases you capture somehow flipping back in seconds from...apparently nothing, and I have annoyance.

That's a wonky thing in Ambition mode, basically if there are any enemies in a base with no officers or unit commanders, it'll flip.

You shouldn't really care about it in Ambition mode because nothing gives a drat about whether a base is taken or not and it just means more dudes for you to mulch.

PureRok
Mar 27, 2010

Good as new.

Stelas posted:

You shouldn't really care about it in Ambition mode because nothing gives a drat about whether a base is taken or not and it just means more dudes for you to mulch.

This is not entirely true. If you want 100% subjugation you need all of the bases. The only thing I know this effects is how many times you'll have to run a map to get over-all 100% (On Normal it takes 3 100% runs to 100% a map).

Shima Honnou
Dec 1, 2010

The Once And Future King Of Dicetroit

College Slice
How to level up Leadership insanely fast: find someone who has Gather Supplies and sacrifice a bunch of generals to his greatness (I used Zhou Tai for that).

Stand next to him and spam Gather Supplies as many times as you can. I went from like 45 Leadership to 99 in like 2 or 3 battles.

Stelas
Sep 6, 2010

Oof. Lu Bu's last normal mission is some poo poo. I hope there isn't a 'don't let any fire attack succeed' star or else I'm hosed. Trying to navigate around that castle with a billion things pulsing on the map was rough.

redreader
Nov 2, 2009

I am the coolest person ever with my pirate chalice. Seriously.

Dinosaur Gum
So I finished the cao cao story and moved onto the next. is this loving family cursed or something? *dies by arrow in cutscene* *dies by sword wound in cutscene* *dies by arrow in cutscene, at which point I laughed*

MLKQUOTEMACHINE
Oct 22, 2012

Some motherfuckers are always trying to ice-skate uphill

redreader posted:

So I finished the cao cao story and moved onto the next. is this loving family cursed or something? *dies by arrow in cutscene* *dies by sword wound in cutscene* *dies by arrow in cutscene, at which point I laughed*

Yeah, that's pretty much what Wu does. Play Gan Ning ever chance you get.

Dewgy
Nov 10, 2005

~🚚special delivery~📦

redreader posted:

Yeah Wu is pretty much everyone's bitch, forever. Nobody really has a great time overall, but the story of Wu is definitely not in their favor.

Jibo
May 22, 2007

Bear Witness
College Slice
The stars that (literally with fire) burn brightest burn out the fastest (sometimes literally with fire).

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Yeah, the story of Wu seems to be that they're so totally awesome…but being awesome just isn't enough in this crazy world.

I'm really liking Chen Gong. His scroll of war is pretty nifty and I love how he's a crazy pretentious strategist who wants to play with the big boys.

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
You'd think he would have gone and looked for a better boss after the fourth or fifth time Lu Bu ignored his advice and got them screwed over.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

Sindai posted:

You'd think he would have gone and looked for a better boss after the fourth or fifth time Lu Bu ignored his advice and got them screwed over.

Do not pursue Lu Bu (as a viable avenue of employment)

Gharbad the Weak
Feb 23, 2008

This too good for you.
I've been eating generic officers to upgrade other officers in Ambition mode, but now I need 400 people to get a farm. Like, do I need 400 at ONCE? Because I've got like 20 officers right now.

Captain Oblivious
Oct 12, 2007

I'm not like other posters

nutranurse posted:

Yeah, that's pretty much what Wu does. Play Gan Ning ever chance you get.

Gan Ning or Zhou Tai, manliest manly men in Wu :colbert:

kissekatt
Apr 20, 2005

I have tasted the fruit.

Speedball posted:

I'm really liking Chen Gong. His scroll of war is pretty nifty and I love how he's a crazy pretentious strategist who wants to play with the big boys.
The funny thing is how different he is compared to the novel (although he is hardly the only character that applies to). In the novel he betrays Dong Zhuo and helps Cao Cao to flee because he finds out that Dong Zhuo is a tyrannical poo poo. Then Cao Cao murders an innocent friend of the Cao family to protect his own reputation, which makes Chen Gong leave Cao Cao as well. Somehow he ends up with Lu Bu, discovers that he is basically a bastard as well, so when he is caught after the battle of Xiapi he basically says "execute me so I don't have to deal with you shits anymore" and Cao Cao obliges him.

5er
Jun 1, 2000

Golden Goat posted:

They should never remove Zhang Jiao from the games

While I stand by my statements about dlc outfits where it involves sports and especially high school bullshit, I absolutely can't get over how hilarious that is.

Speedball
Apr 15, 2008

kissekatt posted:

The funny thing is how different he is compared to the novel (although he is hardly the only character that applies to). In the novel he betrays Dong Zhuo and helps Cao Cao to flee because he finds out that Dong Zhuo is a tyrannical poo poo. Then Cao Cao murders an innocent friend of the Cao family to protect his own reputation, which makes Chen Gong leave Cao Cao as well. Somehow he ends up with Lu Bu, discovers that he is basically a bastard as well, so when he is caught after the battle of Xiapi he basically says "execute me so I don't have to deal with you shits anymore" and Cao Cao obliges him.

drat. Some people just have a string of lovely bosses. I think if everyone I ever worked for was rotten I'd be a bit sick of it all too.\

Gharbad the Weak posted:

I've been eating generic officers to upgrade other officers in Ambition mode, but now I need 400 people to get a farm. Like, do I need 400 at ONCE? Because I've got like 20 officers right now.

All at once, apparently. Sorry! Releasing generic officers to power up other officers can only be safely done once you've hit the limit for how much stuff you can unlock via population (it's 700).

Time Serpent
Dec 22, 2012

Grimey Drawer
Is gaining morale during the extended Ambition Mode campaign battles impossible? I'll hold every base on the map and have defeated every officer but the commander and morale will still be 50-50.

Also, the allied AI is horrendous in that mode.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

redreader posted:

Even Sun Shangxiang gets an arrow in the rendered opening, she just doesn't die from that one!

kissekatt posted:

Funny thing is, when Cao Cao tried to dissuade Chen Gong from that sentiment by wondering aloud what would befall Chen Gong's mother, wife, and children, his answer was that they'd do well in Cao Cao's care if he was such a good guy...

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

And the hilarious twist is in the tv show, chen gong completely abandons his family when he first meets Cao Cao and he got praised as the best guy ever by said Cao Cao.

Chortles
Dec 29, 2008

Tae posted:

And the hilarious twist is in the tv show, chen gong completely abandons his family when he first meets Cao Cao and he got praised as the best guy ever by said Cao Cao.
Then when it's time for his death scene, it's only his mother that he consigns to Cao Cao's care, while his son and daughter are just going to have to make their own way despite being less than ten years old.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tae
Oct 24, 2010

Didn't Sima Yi die or something in DW7? What's with him flaking out and just...leaving in DW8? Hell, he's certainly not dead because he shows up again after the hypothetical opens up.